Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Does anyone know how to reference a page number in Pages? I'm making a table of contents for a user guide, and there has to be a better way to keep track of what page something is on than manually.

Edit: holy poo poo I'm retarded. There is a Table of Contents under Insert.

Edit 2: I take it back. There are other areas where I want to link the reader to another section [see Section 5.1, p. ###]. Is there any way to make the ### pull the page number of whatever section I'm referencing?

lord funk fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Oct 8, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If Apple is adamant about bringing some mobile paradigms over to MacOS X, I wish they'd let us click on the titlebar to scroll a window's contents to the top. I find myself wishing I could do that all the time rather than spin my mousewheel.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Martytoof posted:

If Apple is adamant about bringing some mobile paradigms over to MacOS X, I wish they'd let us click on the titlebar to scroll a window's contents to the top. I find myself wishing I could do that all the time rather than spin my mousewheel.

That doesn't make sense for a window the same way it does for a UIView, though. The titlebar is already a handle to move the window around.

Of course, I'm still mad they hide the scrollbars in Lion.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Why not just hit the "Home" key? It's the top of page, and "End" is bottom of the page.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

lord funk posted:

That doesn't make sense for a window the same way it does for a UIView, though. The titlebar is already a handle to move the window around.

System Preferences > General > Show Scroll Bars.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

wolffenstein posted:

System Preferences > General > Show Scroll Bars.

Well derp. For some reason I though they were just gone.

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself

lord funk posted:

Well derp. For some reason I though they were just gone.

It seems that for the most part, there's a preference (hidden or not) to revert just about every Lion feature back to something more like Snow Leopard.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Grayham posted:

It seems that for the most part, there's a preference (hidden or not) to revert just about every Lion feature back to something more like Snow Leopard.

Except scrollbar arrows.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

wdarkk posted:

Except scrollbar arrows.

Which is fine, because anyone who clicks scrollbar arrows to scroll is literally subhuman.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

Grayham posted:

Yep, and prepare for the people who toggle those preferences to complain loudly when 10.8 sets Lion's behavior as default and removes those preferences.

eames
May 9, 2009

KingEup posted:

Is it possible to add this feature to a program like mplayerx?

Theoretically yes, but I think most of the indie developers don’t want to tick off Apple by using the hack required to get Airplay running via third party apps. (apple doesn’t want third party apps to use the airplay protocol, but the private key encryption for it was reverse engineered a few months ago)

http://mafipulation.org/blagoblig/2011/04/08#shairport

otoh, it shouldn’t be too long until the official thing is released:

http://appadvice.com/appnn/2010/11/steve-jobs-airplay-coming-safari-thirdparty-apps-2011

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Terpfen posted:

Yep, and prepare for the people who toggle those preferences to complain loudly when 10.8 sets Lion's behavior as default and removes those preferences.

I guarantee that Lion is the last version of Mac OS X. There won't be a 10.8.

The next thing we'll see is Mac OS 11.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Accipiter posted:

The next thing we'll see is Mac OS 11.

Okay, fine, Mac OS XI. Whatever you want to call it. The point remains, regardless of semantics.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I think you mean iOS Desktop.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Also, they ran out of cats.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

My PIN is 4826 posted:

What?

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself

My PIN is 4826 posted:

There are actually two big cats left:
  • Clouded Leopard
  • Sunda Clouded Leopard

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

My PIN is 4826 posted:

Cougar. ;-*

Which I think is basically a panther, which they already covered. Still, I would really like to use Mac OS X Cougar. :wink:

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Grayham posted:

There are actually two big cats left:
  • Clouded Leopard
  • Sunda Clouded Leopard

Yes but the lion is the king of the jungle so we're done here.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Cyne posted:

Cougar. ;-*

Which I think is basically a panther, which they already covered. Still, I would really like to use Mac OS X Cougar. :wink:
I'd like to see Lynx and Ocelot used as well :) Though I guess ocelots are not that big, but it's a cute name.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

TACD posted:

I'd like to see Lynx and Ocelot used as well :) Though I guess ocelots are not that big, but it's a cute name.

It would be fitting that an OS arguably designed to start mimicking the interface of smaller devices start being named after smaller more agile cats :3:

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Accipiter posted:

Yes but the lion is the king of the jungle so we're done here.

But the lion is inferior to the liger, so we're not actually done yet.

OS X 10.8 Liger. It's pretty much our favorite animal.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
Install Lynx, problem solved.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

eames posted:

otoh, it shouldn’t be too long until the official thing is released:

http://appadvice.com/appnn/2010/11/steve-jobs-airplay-coming-safari-thirdparty-apps-2011
That was referring to iOS (and indeed AirPlay for everything is coming in iOS 5), not to say that it won't come to the Mac eventually, but there's nothing there indicating that.

lord funk posted:

What?

They ran out of software boxes :colbert:

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Accipiter posted:

I think it's more likely they'll just naming it after something else.

edit: Really we're on OS 17 anyway

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I'm setting up a machine for a buddy of mine. From what I can tell, he got into that whole mac antivirus scam and for whatever reason trying to remove it on his own caused this os x install to no longer boot.

Anyway, so I've got Lion installed on a new drive in his old machine and I noticed that it doesn't come with JRE but its available through software update. Is this going to get him in trouble in the future when he clicks malicious poo poo on the web? I figure anything thats going to do anything bad will at least require him to put in his password right?

Also, I still have his old os drive. Is there an intelligent way in Lion to copy over all of his personal files into the same respective locations including his music, playlists, ratings, etc?

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

AlwaysWetID34 fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 18, 2019

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

Shaocaholica posted:

I'm setting up a machine for a buddy of mine. From what I can tell, he got into that whole mac antivirus scam and for whatever reason trying to remove it on his own caused this os x install to no longer boot.

Anyway, so I've got Lion installed on a new drive in his old machine and I noticed that it doesn't come with JRE but its available through software update. Is this going to get him in trouble in the future when he clicks malicious poo poo on the web? I figure anything thats going to do anything bad will at least require him to put in his password right?

Also, I still have his old os drive. Is there an intelligent way in Lion to copy over all of his personal files into the same respective locations including his music, playlists, ratings, etc?

Migration Assistant in Applications/Utilities might help, though you should make sure to avoid copying applications so that it doesn't pick up any nasty stuff.

To keep iTunes' metadata, just copy the whole iTunes folder from inside <user>/Music.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

What are the options if you completely want to restore a 2011 Mac Mini back to factory default OS (if you hork the OS and want to go back to default, or if you ge a new hard drive)? Can Lion's "Internet Recovery" reinstall the whole thing?

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

Sasquatch! posted:

What are the options if you completely want to restore a 2011 Mac Mini back to factory default OS (if you hork the OS and want to go back to default, or if you ge a new hard drive)? Can Lion's "Internet Recovery" reinstall the whole thing?

Yep. If you hork just the OS, you can reinstall from the recovery partition. If you hork the whole disk, you can reinstall via the EFI (BIOS for PC refugees) downloading the recovery partition for you from the internet (even via Wi-Fi!) into RAM and then booting from it.

I think Internet recovery is available in 2011 Mac Mini, Macbook Air always, and in 2011 MB Pros that have the latest firmware update applied.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/recovery/

You can also stick Lion on a thumb drive, or extract the recovery partition to a thumb drive.
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1433

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself

Shaocaholica posted:

Java will only prompt to install when you're installing something that needs Java. Java applets on the web just won't appear. Install Chrome and he'll always have a browser with an up-to-date version of Flash.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Grayham posted:

Java will only prompt to install when you're installing something that needs Java. Java applets on the web just won't appear. Install Chrome and he'll always have a browser with an up-to-date version of Flash.

Hes on chrome now so thats fine but I think there are certain Java things chrome won't run and that might get him to click on bad things.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

lord funk posted:

I like the lack of scroll bars in Lion. The windows look so much cleaner without them. However I didn't know about that setting for scroll bars, I am sure I am going to have people at my work asking about that.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'm deleting old backups from my external HD - the number of items deleted is in the tens of thousands in the trash dialog, but it has a negative sign in front of it. What does this mean exactly?

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Oct 10, 2011

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

I was doing that yesterday, figured it had to do with the massive amounts of symlinking going on in the backup folder. It started at like 50,000 (positive) left to delete, then got down to -2,000,000 before it finished...

My PIN is 4826 fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Oct 10, 2011

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
On Snow Leopard and earlier versions, if I shutdown my computer it'd shutdown almost immediately. But ever since moving to Lion, a lot of times the OS will just hang with the spinning indicator on a gray screen for a minute or 2 (or more.) Anybody have any else getting this? What the heck is the OS doing when all I want it do is shutdown?

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

krnhotwings posted:

On Snow Leopard and earlier versions, if I shutdown my computer it'd shutdown almost immediately. But ever since moving to Lion, a lot of times the OS will just hang with the spinning indicator on a gray screen for a minute or 2 (or more.) Anybody have any else getting this? What the heck is the OS doing when all I want it do is shutdown?
Saving application states.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

SwimNurd posted:

Saving application states.
On this note, expect this to dramatically improve as apps release Lion-compatable versions. Apps that adhere to Lion's new development standards (notify OS X when app can be killed or not, implement auto-save features, etc.) will quit much faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Also not so bad when shutting down my 11.6 inch MBA 2010 running 10.7.1 because of SSD performance. I never wait more than 10 secs. or so before I can close my lid. Also I spergily quit my apps before shutdown.