Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Underwhelmed posted:

Thanks guys, I will not eat the delicious souls like so many hard-boiled eggs.

Zero should be enough. Sometimes I will get like 2 or 3 from one room clearing, and then not see any at all for 5 or 6 more. Typically every third time or so you will probably get one even with zero humanity. It can get tedious but since there is a bonfire right there and they die with like one fireball even with a level 1 flame, its no big deal.

I forget where I found it (sens fortress maybe?) but theres a ring that boosts your item find from 100 to 300. I wouldnt grind for shards and poo poo until I find that

I have no idea what the number means but since the base is 100 im going to assume a 300 item find gets you items 3x as often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Dear Watson posted:

I like how people spread rumors leading up to the release of this game. I was so worried about the curse frogs because I heard the curses stack. I've been farming them for the last hour or so, and have been cursed 7 or 8 times in my impatience and I'm still only at half health. Do they start stacking on the 10th or 20th curse?

You only actually get cursed if your little curse bar fills up all the way. Has that been happening?

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I get cursed, and it says You are cursed! And then I insta die and leave a cute little statue of myself.

I haven't had it stack once.

The Yellow King
Jul 18, 2001

The poster formerly unknown as Mr. Gybe

Sumixam posted:

Have you not leveled up yet? It becomes obvious how it works when you do it.

Oh no, I have. I guess I wasn't being totally clear. I know it shows how many souls you need, but only if you actually happen to have enough to level. If you don't, you can't increase the stats and see how much that would cost you.

For me this often results in: I think I have enough > sit down at the bonfire > whoops, not enough > get up, use a soul from inventory > sit down, try again. It's an inconvenience, that's all. But it's also a pretty huge oversight/dick move in a game where leveling up is a central game mechanic.

Guess I'll get the guide or wait for something to pop up on the wiki or elsewhere.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Dear Watson posted:

I get cursed, and it says You are cursed! And then I insta die and leave a cute little statue of myself.

I haven't had it stack once.

That's weird. I've only been cursed once and it was during my death animation. I didn't realize it also killed you.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Ixjuvin posted:

I <3 my Gravelord Sword +5. three-shotting Silver Knights while I farm for their shield? Yes please.

I've been Human while doing this for at least half an hour, with a Gravelord Eye active no less, but I haven't been invaded. Come on guys step up your game <:mad:>

There are stairs up near the elevator back to firelink. Check up on the roof ;)

Gravelord is broken - I tried it as well and over six hours leaving the game unattended with an active eye I was neither invaded nor gained any souls. Reports on the internet also include players finding the curse in their game but the game won't let them invade the curser.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

So, without knowing what it did, I just touched some Dragon Remnants another player had left while in human form in Anor Londo. This was on the bridge bit with the first gargoyle, after clearing the path to the boss (which I still haven't beat.) I immediately freak out when I get the message of what is about to happen and run to the central rotating pillar and throw the lever right as they're joining the world. I then proceeded to taunt them from the lower platform for about five minutes. We both retreat from the edge. Several minutes later I hear some sounds from the cathedral off to the side. I react appropriately. Lever goes the other direction, column ascends. I think it took the other player about thirty seconds to realize what I'd done, because about thirty five seconds later I found myself one dragon scale and 9k souls richer.

I feel pretty bad about it, really. Had a good laugh though.

Cephalocidal fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 10, 2011

Resonance22
Dec 17, 2006

Am I right in thinking that a fully upgraded "generic" weapon is pretty much always better than fully upgraded boss soul weapons and dragon weapons? Also, does anyone know how much exactly a boost parameters give? Whether a weapon has an "A" parameter boost or an "E" doesn't really tell me how much more damage it deals.

Cephalocidal posted:

So, without knowing what it did, I just touched some Dragon Remnants another player had left while in human form in Anor Londo. This was on the bridge bit with the first gargoyle, after clearing the path to the boss (which I still haven't beat.) I immediately freak out when I get the message of what is about to happen and run to the central rotating pillar and throw the lever right as they're joining the world. I then proceeded to taunt them from the lower platform for about five minutes. We both retreat retreat from the edge. Several minutes later I hear some sounds from the cathedral off to the side. I react appropriately. Lever goes the other direction, column ascends. I think it took the other player about thirty seconds to realize what I'd done, because about thirty five seconds later I found myself one dragon scale and 9k souls richer.

I feel pretty bad about it, really. Had a good laugh though.
Haha, that's amazing.

Resonance22 fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 10, 2011

Tainted Ham
Apr 19, 2009
Where should I be dropping my sign's for co-op? I've been wanting to help some people out but no one is asking me to join. Should I be dropping them before tough areas or just at bonfires?

Also, I'm trying to decide between building up for the Fury sword or the Chaos blade . I've heard good things about later but so much about the former.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Meme Emulator posted:

I forget where I found it (sens fortress maybe?) but theres a ring that boosts your item find from 100 to 300. I wouldnt grind for shards and poo poo until I find that

I have no idea what the number means but since the base is 100 im going to assume a 300 item find gets you items 3x as often.

I guess I need to go back and finish sens fortress then. That sounds awesome. I've been wasting my time on these frogs! Curse you curse frogs!

Zebrasectomy posted:

Where should I be dropping my sign's for co-op? I've been wanting to help some people out but no one is asking me to join. Should I be dropping them before tough areas or just at bonfires?

Also, I'm trying to decide between building up for the Fury sword or the Chaos blade . I've heard good things about later but so much about the former.

I drop them first at the entrance to the level near the bonfire, and then I bee line to the boss door and then drop it there, then I go back and clear out the level.

Last night someone got me near the door to the bonfire in the depths when I was on as my cleric. He hadn't even started the level yet, the door to the bonfire was still locked.He needed help killing the butchers, so we did. Then I took him through the whole depths showing him things and laying waste to everything, we found another guy and he summoned him (why do his summons work on the first try and mine never do?) and we then went and killed the boss on the first try. He hadn't even been able to kindle the bonfire yet in there! It was fun, I hope he enjoyed it. Although I suppose me being there might have ruined the fun of exploration.

Lord Decimus Barnacle fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 10, 2011

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Invaded the same guy 3 times in painted world. He was using the rolly polly cartwheely spear & shiedly build. I couldn't physically touch him at all. On the 3rd attempt he just went 2 handed spear to taunt me because he knew I couldn't beat him. It was pretty bad :ohdear:

Scrooged
Feb 19, 2004

Truth, Juthtithe,
and the American Way
I took my Katana down the Divine path. What are the benefits of either path? Should I continue with Divine or put some Occult on it?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Lid posted:

Gravelord is broken - I tried it as well and over six hours leaving the game unattended with an active eye I was neither invaded nor gained any souls. Reports on the internet also include players finding the curse in their game but the game won't let them invade the curser.

I've gotten it to work once. I used an Eye of Death in Sen Fortress and a few minutes later I got invaded by a purple "vengeant spirit" or something. After I killed the invader I got another Eye of Death.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
Do those dudes behind the 20,000 Soul door ever drop liquid humanity if you vault them off the cliff?

Biggie Shorty
Oct 8, 2008
Ugh I had my first Dark Souls dream last night. I was walking through an area and I heard a noise in the distance and then I got 100,000 souls and I started freaking out.

I was trying to figure out who died? was it someone important? Did I lose an NPC or something? Was my game horribly broken now? Do I use these to pump my stats? How am I able to play this game while I'm in bed sleeping? I actually was aware that I was in bed sleeping but after considering it for a moment I concluded that being able to play the game remotely while asleep was not beyond the realm of possibility.

Woke up in the morning with a sore head and apparently 100,000 souls poorer :(

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

U-DO Burger posted:

I've gotten it to work once. I used an Eye of Death in Sen Fortress and a few minutes later I got invaded by a purple "vengeant spirit" or something. After I killed the invader I got another Eye of Death.

I had it work once in Sen as well, I didn't kill him though. I didn't have my armor yet and he was using a Shotel. :(

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:

Biggie Shorty posted:

Woke up in the morning with a sore head and apparently 100,000 souls poorer :(

I guess go try to find your bloodstain?

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
I'm kind of pissed that the only person who's invaded me in the last two days won by lag. I literally could not get a hit on him, because by the time the game registered that I had attacked he shot forward six animations and teleported. So we both kept hitting each other, running to the other end of the bridge and healing, and running back at each other.

Unfortunately his attacks did amazingly piss-poor damage and he couldn't hit me unless I let him, so I ended up just killing myself by jumping off a ledge.

The Dark Souls multiplayer experience.

Jarate posted:

Generally just upgrade advice! I don't really know how to properly level, what stats I should focus on, etc. I mean, I'm literally at the very beginning of the game, just got to the Firelink Shrine, so I have a ways to go before I need to start caring about applying my souls to different stats, but I'm still totally clueless. I'd also love some input on what you guys think is a good approach to playing for a newbie. I picked Wanderer to start, and I prefer that over the Knight that I played the tutorial with.

Thing about this game is that there isn't really a 'correct' build right now. There certainly are wrong ones (I have a Cleric that I've been plugging stats into nothing but faith :shepface:). Give it a few more weeks and I'm sure people will have the perfect build set-up for early game, but right now it's whatever you feel is right. If you're having trouble, you can't really go wrong with any combination of end+str+vit+dex.

It really depends on how you want to play. End+str+vit is what I've been doing, and I'm soul level sixty so I must be doing something not terribly wrong.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Capsaicin posted:

So uh, Parish: Where should I be going after I get the campfire lit? I went into the church and got the elevator to Firelink, and I'm winning mostly due to the Drake Sword. I don't know where exactly to go now.
In your experience with churches IRL, where are the bells usually located?

Upstairs. In the belfry!

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

The Moon Monster posted:

That's weird. I've only been cursed once and it was during my death animation. I didn't realize it also killed you.

It doesn't. The curse frogs petrify you.

more like FAILdows get it
Nov 19, 2007

punch a friend in the butt
Could anyone tell me how to get to the blacksmith in The Catacombs? I know he's there because I can hear his hammer, I'm just not sure how to get to him.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I'm already regretting spending one of my two twinkling titanite shards and 2000 souls on my Jagged Ghost Blade. It only scales E with strength but so far it hits harder than even a Zweihander.

Dear Watson posted:

I like how people spread rumors leading up to the release of this game. I was so worried about the curse frogs because I heard the curses stack. I've been farming them for the last hour or so, and have been cursed 7 or 8 times in my impatience and I'm still only at half health. Do they start stacking on the 10th or 20th curse?
I think the wiki is being seriously poisoned.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 10, 2011

Tarradax
Jan 8, 2008

It will work!

The.GreyWolf posted:

There's also petrified statues of other people all around the frogs. Hint hint!

Also: Can anyone who's already beaten the game write down a no-sidezone order to go through the game? Each time I'm entering a new zone I'm worried I've missed some sidezone and I'm that much closer to the end of the game :(

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

The.GreyWolf posted:

Man, I'm going to deliberately curse myself just to do New Londo Ruins even though I read tat area isn't necessary. Sigh

Couple of questions:

The smith in Anor Londo (I haven't been there yet) makes lightning weapons correct?

How do I go abut getting more red orbs to (unsuccessfully) invade someone.

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Thank you Grizzlebees... I was hungry.
Can someone help me with the shortcut in Sen's fortress? I know there's a shortcut in one of the cages. I've got the cage key, but none of them act like an elevator. I saw it used in the Jap streams...help?

bog savant
Mar 15, 2008

unending immaturity
Bahaha just invaded some guy and got a ridiculous 16 million souls or something, was able to level like 15 times in a row.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Boosh! posted:

Man, I'm going to deliberately curse myself just to do New Londo Ruins even though I read tat area isn't necessary. Sigh
Don't do it. Get that Firekeeper's soul and run away screaming. It's such a pain in the rear end.

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Volvagia posted:

Bahaha just invaded some guy and got a ridiculous 16 million souls or something, was able to level like 15 times in a row.

Congrats, now you will not be able to hunt noobs anymore

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Pomale posted:

Could anyone tell me how to get to the blacksmith in The Catacombs? I know he's there because I can hear his hammer, I'm just not sure how to get to him.

At the end of one of the spiral stairway sections the stairs abruptly end over a bottomless pit. He's at the bottom of the pit, you'll have to fall to various ledges correctly to not die.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Ankle-biter posted:

Can someone help me with the shortcut in Sen's fortress? I know there's a shortcut in one of the cages. I've got the cage key, but none of them act like an elevator. I saw it used in the Jap streams...help?

The cages are in the little tower where the light gate to the boss and the stairway up to the bomb throwing giant is.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
The Tomb Of The Giants :negative:

I managed to tank my way to a room full of Pinwheels with no Estus left. I think I'll come back to this area later... gently caress me.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Boosh! posted:

Couple of questions:

The smith in Anor Londo (I haven't been there yet) makes lightning weapons correct?

How do I go abut getting more red orbs to (unsuccessfully) invade someone.

Just so you know, that area actually does become necessary. It's not optional.

I'd wait until you have to go though, it's a pain.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

Shumagorath posted:

Don't do it. Get that Firekeeper's soul and run away screaming. It's such a pain in the rear end.

Ahh thanks, I at least got the Firekeeper soul before drowning. Is there nothing else worth getting there? Anything scenic?!

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Aw man, I wanted to mess around with the Princess Guard miracles. But then I saw the requirements beyond the Coven and its questionable ring.

Soothing Sunlight:

2 attunement slots needed, 3 uses, requires 48 faith, heals the area.

Bountiful Sunlight:

2 attunement slots needed, 2 uses, requires 36 faith, gradually heals the area over time.

Does anyone know the faith requirements for the Warriors of Sun miracle?

[e]Looks like 20.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 10, 2011

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

The Moon Monster posted:

The cages are in the little tower where the light gate to the boss and the stairway up to the bomb throwing giant is.

Got it, thanks!

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
FYI, someone said earlier in the thread that you could open the forest door for free if you could get to it from the rear side. I can confirm that this isn't true. I ended up on the other side of it during a suicidal exploration run and was not given the option of opening it.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Bland posted:

What about Patches?

And there is a point where you find a demon's robes, they belonged to a certain blind character in the last game.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

The.GreyWolf posted:

Yep, you can be at full health and then bam! You are a nice looking statue!

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
The Tomb Of The Giants is seriously testing my limits. When you would rather go to New Londo you know things are getting bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

loving Capra keeps instakilling me.. ugh

• Locked thread