Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aurra
Feb 3, 2006

Filthy Monkey posted:

Aggh, the four kings keep owning me. I don't understand how they work. I've tried it a few times own my own, and a couple times with a human companion, but I can't seem to win.

We managed to kill a couple the last time, but they seemed to come back? I don't really understand how the fight works.

The kings individually respawn after shortly after dying. You need to kill enough of them to deplete the shared health bar that shows up during boss fights to actually beat the encounter. The ideal strategy seems to be completely forsaking a shield and straight up tanking them to kill them fast before new kings can respawn to team up on you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

MadJackMcJack posted:

Christ I wish summon signs wouldn't despawn if you wander off too far. Probably the biggest obstacle to me getting summoned so far is my lack of patience for sitting around on my arse waiting for someone to wander along and summon me. I just get bored and bugger off to find something else to kill.

Yeah, I hate that. It wasn't so bad in Demon's Souls since you usually got summoned pretty quick. I think a lot more people are running around hollowed than there were people in soul form in DS, because you don't have that half HP penalty for being hollow, so you don't have a lot of incentive to go human except for particular circumstances.

Job For A Pirate
Apr 27, 2008
When you reset a weapon at the blacksmith do you get all the shards back?

J
Jun 10, 2001

Hell Diver posted:

Well, Priscilla just rocked my poo poo hard. Is there a good strategy for her as a heavily armored melee fighter? I've got a Lightning Spear +3, Zweihander +10, Blessed Halberd +4, and a Fire Shotel +5 available. I figured I'd use the big swings of the zweihander to knock her out of invisibility, but instead I just got my face raped. Glad I had that sacrifice ring on.

I would use whatever hits the hardest in one swing, I'm guessing that's the zweihander or maybe the halberd? The way I beat her as a heavy armored character was to run fairly wide circles around the snow, keep an eye on the footprints, do a slight cut towards the footprints and then cut outwards again in your circle. She will whiff, 2hand your weapon and do a forward+r2 jumping attack towards the footprints, then roll away and repeat. Once you do like 25%? of her bar she becomes visible again for a while.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Job For A Pirate posted:

When you reset a weapon at the blacksmith do you get all the shards back?

No, and it tells you this when you attempt to do so and asks "are you sure you want to continue?"

Bloach
May 23, 2005

Bloachie Bad Azz
I've had my fair share of deaths but there's just one point really pissing me off. I'm at the bonfire in the Parish trying to make it back to that starting point so I can purchase the heal spell. What trips me up along the way is when I make it to the beginning of the parish, I'm already worn down a bit even if I spend the entire time running away. I now have to go down this ladder into a room with 3 rats ready to give me poison. If I run past them i'm now running along a ledge where there is always a spear skeleton waiting to block my path, the rats are still behind me. I will not feel any satisfaction when I do make it past this. It's just hosed, not by design.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
I just finished Anor Londo. It seems I have a few options open now: Tomb of Giants, Demon Ruins, Archives, Painted World or Hollow. Any suggestions?

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
So I hear divine weapons work against ghosts... can I block with a divine shield?

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Bloach posted:

I've had my fair share of deaths but there's just one point really pissing me off. I'm at the bonfire in the Parish trying to make it back to that starting point so I can purchase the heal spell. What trips me up along the way is when I make it to the beginning of the parish, I'm already worn down a bit even if I spend the entire time running away. I now have to go down this ladder into a room with 3 rats ready to give me poison. If I run past them i'm now running along a ledge where there is always a spear skeleton waiting to block my path, the rats are still behind me. I will not feel any satisfaction when I do make it past this. It's just hosed, not by design.

Keep going forward instead then if you just want to run past things, if you can make it inside the church, there's an elevator that is a straight shot to Firelink to the left of the hammer knight.

Foxhound posted:

I just finished Anor Londo. It seems I have a few options open now: Tomb of Giants, Demon Ruins, Archives, Painted World or Hollow. Any suggestions?

Painted World, then either Archives or New Londo Ruins would be my suggestion.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Bloach posted:

There's an elevator in the church that will take you back to firelink instantly

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

I cannot use the blue eye orb. I have no idea why. I've tried it dead and alive and I can never get it to work.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Bloach posted:

There's an elevator back to Firelink on the bottom floor of the church. You should probably just press on with the Parish until you reach that.

Edit: Doubly beaten.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

[url=https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876906]
Anyone have tips for the (endgame spoiler)Lord Gwyn boss? He comes at you fast and hits so hard that I can barely get a shot in. I'm a melee character if that helps.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Guys, I made it through Blighttown my first try :smug:

And I got invaded at the bottom! And killed him :smugdog:

Then I died at the boss :smith:

Without finding a closer Bonfire :eng99:

And I somehow didn't use the one up top :downs:

I think I just went through the five stages of Dark Souls

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Revitalized posted:

So I hear divine weapons work against ghosts... can I block with a divine shield?

Use a Transient Curse and it will enable your block.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Revitalized posted:

No. And divine weapons don't work - you need Cursed weapons, or you need to be cursed yourself.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

victrix posted:

Without finding a closer Bonfire :eng99:

It took me a long time to realize that there's a bonfire at the bottom in the swamp, once you get to the bottom level where you're forced to enter it to proceed, hug the right wall.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah, I hate that. It wasn't so bad in Demon's Souls since you usually got summoned pretty quick. I think a lot more people are running around hollowed than there were people in soul form in DS, because you don't have that half HP penalty for being hollow, so you don't have a lot of incentive to go human except for particular circumstances.

They need to go ahead and make becoming a human and invading more accesible. Zombie form should have reduced health, or anything, which makes human form obviously superior to encourage it's use. One of the early vendors should sell the cracked red eye orbs too, it's silly not having them easily avaliable as invading is a big part of the game.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Revitalized posted:

They don't. Cursed weapons do, which you usually get by killing ghosts, and they suck. Buy more Transient Curses from the female undead vendor behind the grate on your way down to the depths.

What you're thinking of is the skeletons. They don't instantly revive (or revive at all) if you off them with a divine weapon.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
I saw five or so signs of 'Amazing chest ahead' in front of Gwyneve's chamber in Anor Londo. :haw:

It's nice to know that everyone has the same mindset.

Bloach
May 23, 2005

Bloachie Bad Azz

The Moon Monster posted:

There's an elevator in the church that will take you back to firelink instantly

:stare: Oh my...

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Dj Meow Mix posted:

Painted World, then either Archives or New Londo Ruins would be my suggestion.

Alright I'll try that, thanks.

But first, I'm gonna tear through the Burg with a zweihander.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

NoneSuch posted:

They need to go ahead and make becoming a human and invading more accesible. Zombie form should have reduced health, or anything, which makes human form obviously superior to encourage it's use. One of the early vendors should sell the cracked red eye orbs too, it's silly not having them easily avaliable as invading is a big part of the game.
No need to debuff the Hollow form, just buff Human form.

If it gave you 1.5x elemental/damage resistance or something, for instance, that would be lovely. Or maybe have it reduce your encumberance (what with Hollow dudes looking pretty lanky). It'd be especially useful for mages, then, for throwing on heavier armor and burning down some of the more difficult-to-dodge bosses.

Either way, odds are good the devs are well aware of this, and want to improve things. The game is, as far as I can tell, doing really well - it should hopefully see some support. They won't patch haphazardly, though, given Microsoft's policies and the costs involved - there'll be some delay.

EDIT: Also, I take pride in being the only one I saw to throw down a "beware of bright spot" next to the Sun dude who gives you the white soapstone :c00lbert:

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 11, 2011

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The wiki doesn't say how to get the key to drain the New Londo Ruins aside from killing Ingram, so how do you even do it??

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I really hate how DS automatically puts consumables into your free inventory slots. I have wasted several items that way because I'm used to thinking to myself "ok, hit down once, that's X item, hit it again, back to Estus flask, use it...oh gently caress, that was that a Soul of a Legendary Knight, or something, now I have an extra 5000 souls, let's hope I don't die and lose them.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
They already give you a bit of item discovery. Why not make it 100 or 150? Then people trying to get items will be in human form and able to be invaded. I also think they should make it so hollows and humans can use the black stone to invade. Or just restore DeS' only soul/hollow form invades.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Loved Demon's Souls, hate this game. It's pug-ugly and has awful frame rate dips generally right in the middle of combat. It just feels off.

I'm just so loving disappointed.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Revitalized posted:

So I just really like the Force miracle, and I was wondering if increasing Faith makes it any more effective? Perhaps a wider radius of effect?

I can't tell. It FEELS more effective to me, but I haven't parsed things out or measured anything. It's gotta scale somehow I think, but... I don't quite know how.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

The wiki doesn't say how to get the key to drain the New Londo Ruins aside from killing Ingram, so how do you even do it??

Once you have the Lordvessel talk to Ingram and he'll give you the key.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Shalinor posted:

No need to debuff the Hollow form, just buff Human form.

If it gave you 1.5x elemental/damage resistance or something, for instance, that would be lovely. Or maybe have it reduce your encumberance (what with Hollow dudes looking pretty lanky). It'd be especially useful for mages, then, for throwing on heavier armor and burning down some of the more difficult-to-dodge bosses.

Either way, odds are good the devs are well aware of this, and want to improve things. The game is, as far as I can tell, doing really well - it should hopefully see some support. They won't patch haphazardly, though, given Microsoft's policies and the costs involved - there'll be some delay.

It just needs to be something immediatly obvious that it's an improvement. The option to become human also needs to be called reserruct rather than-de-hollow, and I'd say that killing bosses should turn people human like it did in Demon's Souls, or at least reward humanity.

I do hope they're up for altering the game rather than just fixing bugs.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Schlegel Mach posted:

I saw five or so signs of 'Amazing chest ahead' in front of Gwyneve's chamber in Anor Londo. :haw:

It's nice to know that everyone has the same mindset.

I put down "Weakness: Hitting them in one swoop"

If you don't put down a message like this you aren't human :colbert:

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!
Where do most people head after finishing up Blighttown?

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.
Since this thread moves so fast-

1- Anyone find the flying guillotine yet weapon yet?

2- I invaded a dude. He used the stone greatsword's r2 ability to cast the aoe slow. For some reason, this guys stone sword aoe hurt me. It was hitting me for about 10% of my hp every second. The dude just sat there and did some emotes as I died confused.
Any idea what happened or how he did that? Im pretty sure that ability doesnt hurt things, just slows em.

skywalker6705
Mar 16, 2006

"I can't fit my meat into my new shorts!"
For the guy stuck on the Blighttown boss (like 5 pages ago now that I've refreshed. Jesus), I just added what I could to the wiki. Get a Black Knight Shield and man up right into her face. If you hang back it's riskier than standing 2ft away.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Still in Blighttown, looking for the Whip. No luck so far. Found the Ninja gear, which is pretty cool, but I still want that drat whip.

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

This game gets so exponentially harder each area you go to. I'm in the valley of the giants and this is just gruesome.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

How do I use the gravelord ability? Select the "eye of death" then drop it?

e: My brother wants to know where to find the lady in the catecombs that everyone mentions.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Oct 11, 2011

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

How do I use the gravelord ability? Select the "eye of death" then drop it?

I'm pretty sure it's bugged and just flat out doesn't work right now. I googled it out of interest and most of the links were talking about it not working.

Oldstench posted:

Loved Demon's Souls, hate this game. It's pug-ugly and has awful frame rate dips generally right in the middle of combat. It just feels off.

I'm just so loving disappointed.

I thought this at first but once you've played for more than an hour you'll get in to the flow of the game. You either stop noticing the slow FPS or it improves after the first area.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

The.GreyWolf posted:

Use a Transient Curse and it will enable your block.

Or if you got cursed by one of those adorable little frogs somewhere, you can just flat out hit them without the use of any special items as long as you don't dispell the curse (which is kind of expensive I might add so make the best of it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Underwhelmed posted:

Or if you got cursed by one of those adorable little frogs somewhere, you can just flat out hit them without the use of any special items as long as you don't dispell the curse (which is kind of expensive I might add so make the best of it)
Well, but if you are good enough at ghostbusting to just reliably be able to get to the roof of that one building where the guy is, all you need is one humanity to be healed.

• Locked thread