Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nogic
Jul 6, 2002
Woot beat (post bell 2) Ceaseless Discharge. Way easier than I was expecting. The armor you pick up to trigger the fight has really good fire defense, so use that. Also being able to roll fast helps. Fighting him near the place where the armor was is key. You want to be as close to the wall as possible when he chooses his next attack. That way he is more likely to do a particular attack that is easy to avoid/punish. It's one where he scrapes his arm against the wall, then slams it into the ground once or twice. It's so slow you don't need to roll away from it, since he always slams it in the same spots. His other attacks need pre-emptive sprinting or sick roll timing to avoid. Heal up to full every time you take a hit.

I'm hoping it's not too hard to get the Flame Ember and that fire weapons will help me against Smough+Ornstein!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Dj Meow Mix posted:

Book says 10 levels I believe.
Cool, thanks.

Also, to be certain:
If you get summoned and die or they die, you don't lose souls/humanity/being human, right?

Bobby Cox
Nov 3, 2006

College Slice
In the painted world, I just killed the undead dragon and got the annex key, but I died and now there's a big living / dead thing hunkered down on the path where the dragon was and I can't kill it or get it to move. What do I do?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

nogic posted:

I'm hoping it's not too hard to get the Flame Ember and that fire weapons will help me against Smough+Ornstein!
You can make fire weapons up to +5 right now just by going to the catacombs blacksmith.

That said, if you are around level 56, human up and come look by the steps. I currently have my sign down, and I am sure others do too. Summoning some help is a big benefit for that fight.

Elysiume posted:

Cool, thanks.

Also, to be certain:
If you get summoned and die or they die, you don't lose souls/humanity/being human, right?
Yeah, you just get sent back. White phantoming is an okay way to make some souls/humanity. I mean, it won't be nearly as fast as cliff farming or anything, but it feels good to be helping other people.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Comrade Flynn posted:

So, I need more humanity after failing S&O about 10 times. Please say I don't have to walk all the way back to the goddamn rats in the depths.

Either that or use your white sign soapstone to help people with the boss.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Filthy Monkey posted:

Enjoy your rat walk.

At least take the shortcut down Sen Fortress. Use the key from the bottom of the merchant's tower to ride the cage before the boss.

That said, I just helped a couple of people beat those two. One guy hadn't even gotten inside the castle yet. I helped him get past the snipers, open the gate, and beat the boss. Made me happy. It also let me join the sun fuckers covenant.

Wait how do I even get out of this castle? Is there a shortcut?

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

thoraxfetish.com posted:

In the painted world, I just killed the undead dragon and got the annex key, but I died and now there's a big living / dead thing hunkered down on the path where the dragon was and I can't kill it or get it to move. What do I do?

That's the Dragon's lower half. Go back down to where the wheel skeletons are in the sewer part and there's a lever you need to turn that'll open a door to a lower part of the bridge you can cross.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

thoraxfetish.com posted:

Do a jumping attack on it. Don't freak out.

Really though, you should go down where the drat wheel skeletons are and hit the switch in the middle of the large room to open the main path to the boss so you don't have to jump down. Just do the jumping attack before you do this though.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Comrade Flynn posted:

Wait how do I even get out of this castle? Is there a shortcut?

In the room before O&S you can open the front door to the castle by pushing a lever

chunkles fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Oct 11, 2011

Bobby Cox
Nov 3, 2006

College Slice

evilalien posted:

Do a jumping attack on it. Don't freak out.

Really though, you should go down where the drat wheel skeletons are and hit the switch in the middle of the large room to open the main path to the boss so you don't have to jump down. Just do the jumping attack before you do this though.

I'm surprised I hadn't already, I was beating the crap out of it. Very weird, I thought it was going to sit on me or something.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

So I just got invaded by this dude and I think he cast an AoE like the Stone Giants in Darkwood Forest. What's the name of that and is there any way to avoid it?

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

Garin posted:

You can get all of the Twinkling Titanite and Purging Stones that you want once you've beaten the Crystal Cave boss. Just use his bonfire and farm the clams right before him, they drop both.

This is from pages ago, but thanks a ton for this info. I've been farming them for a while now... I've gotten 6 so far. I drop signs to invade people while killing them so sometimes I get to PvP too!

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
Welp, looks like I just hit the brick wall that is the Capra Demon. It's like the developers wanted to see just how bad of a room they could make for the controls in this game. Can't wait to run all the way back to him from Firelink again just to get smashed before I can run around him and up the stairs again.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

sentrygun posted:

Welp, looks like I just hit the brick wall that is the Capra Demon. It's like the developers wanted to see just how bad of a room they could make for the controls in this game. Can't wait to run all the way back to him from Firelink again just to get smashed before I can run around him and up the stairs again.

Go up the multi-flight stairs at the beginning of the alley before Capra, that leads you to a room about 30 feet and 6 weak zombies away from the Undead Berg bonfire

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

sentrygun posted:

What level are you? I'm just idling outside the room to help people, but apparently nobody wants me. :negative:

What are the thresholds for endurance penalties? Is it like 25%, 50%, 75%, 100% as the cutoffs?

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Guliani is HOT posted:

So I just got invaded by this dude and I think he cast an AoE like the Stone Giants in Darkwood Forest. What's the name of that and is there any way to avoid it?

He was either using the Stone Giants Greatsword or the miracle that does the same thing. I don't know that there is anything you can do about it short of slowing them down as well via the same methods and just wait for it to wear off.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

sentrygun posted:

Pop a humanity and call in some help! Just block when it starts, and let the others help take some heat off.

Otherwise, I would suggest getting your shield upgraded. Try getting the shards to upgrade a hollow shield to +5. The added stability will help a lot.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
One or two good hits is all it takes to get those dogs out of your way, and then it's nothing but a fight against a very slow enemy with only moderate reach, damage and shield impact ability.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Elysiume posted:

What are the thresholds for endurance penalties? Is it like 25%, 50%, 75%, 100% as the cutoffs?
code:
Equip Burden	Roll Phase	Description
00% to 25%	1	        Quick Roll
25% to 50%	2	        Medium Roll
50% to 75%	3	        Slow Roll
75% to 100%	4	        Fat Roll
>100%	        5	        NO ROLL

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Filthy Monkey posted:

Pop a humanity and call in some help! Just block when it starts, and let the others help take some heat off.

Otherwise, I would suggest getting your shield upgraded. Try getting the shards to upgrade a hollow shield to +5. The added stability will help a lot.

Elysiume posted:

What level are you? I'm just idling outside the room to help people, but apparently nobody wants me. :negative:

I would love to, but my game freezes on the Start screen still if I'm connected to PSN, so I can't use the multiplayer. :smith:

I'll go look for the bonfire near there though, thought I'd explored that whole mess already.

Samurai Sanders posted:

One or two good hits is all it takes to get those dogs out of your way, and then it's nothing but a fight against a very slow enemy with only moderate reach, damage and shield impact ability.

I would love to know the weapon you're using that swats these fuckers away in one hit. The best I've got is the Drake Sword, but I'm 2 strength too low to one hand it.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Getting this tomorrow, never played this kind of game before. I've beaten both Ninja Gaidens on Master Ninja but obviously this and those games couldn't be anymore different.

What's a good newbie class? I was thinking warrior.

Ralconn
Aug 2, 2006

Well I think I just got the best PvP kill in the first area of the catacombs. There is a bridge that you have to turn to get to the other side that you can turn and then unturn. Well somehow I got ahead of the guy in the level so I went to the lever where you turn the bridge. The guy was oblivious to the fact I was by the lever and just went across the bridge and I turned it and watched him fall to his death. Then I got indicted. :c00l:

Ralconn fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 11, 2011

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

I swear I wrote something funny here.
Where should I be dropping my summon sign at level 16? I've been doing the first bell tower but it's been pretty slow. Is the co-op better at my level someplace else?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

sentrygun posted:

I would love to know the weapon you're using that swats these fuckers away in one hit. The best I've got is the Drake Sword, but I'm 2 strength too low to one hand it.
I've done it with a spear, a halberd, the drake sword, and my trusty nail club.

edit. I don't like that the drake sword's only two-handed heavy attack is that crazy shockwave thing that does massive damage to the weapon itself. The one handed heavy attack is godly, crazy fast for a half-circle horizontal attack like that.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 11, 2011

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Alteisen posted:

What's a good newbie class? I was thinking warrior.
Pretty much anything but sorcerer is fine. In the long run, your starting class really doesn't matter. If I had to pick the best starts though, I would say wanderer, pyromancer, and cleric.

Cakeequals
Jun 15, 2011

I'm going to make sweet love to him! FROM THE BACK!!
RRRRRRRRR
Man, what is it with Dragons and suiciding? I was in the beach area below the giant tree, and I ran past the giant Hydra thing to get to the dragon covenant. On my way back, I see it crawl up onto the beach, explode, and suddenly I'm 10,000 souls and 2 Dragon Scales richer. It was free covenant experience, so I'm not complaining.
Also, last night I was really sick, and all night I was having some kind of crazy Dark Souls fever dream. I don't remember much except that I kept loving up my game in some fundamental way that I didn't understand. It was really weird.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Elysiume posted:

code:
Equip Burden	Roll Phase	Description
00% to 25%	1	        Quick Roll
25% to 50%	2	        Medium Roll
50% to 75%	3	        Slow Roll
75% to 100%	4	        Fat Roll
>100%	        5	        NO ROLL

I love the fat roll animation. The player character doesn't even try, they just fall over and flail a little.

Viash
Mar 17, 2003
Turns out invaders can hit switches, like the ones in the archives that rotate those staircases. That was a nasty surprise.

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Beat Priscilla with a little help from a ringwraith and a knight, and before that I also got to fight off the most boring invasion ever.

I had Eagle Shield, Lightning Spear, full Stone Armor and the Old Man Mask and he's trying to toss fire at me which I wasn't having any problem hopping around. I finally manage a backstab that takes off 2/3rds of his life and he panics and just starts keeping about 30 feet in between us for about 5 minutes straight before finally popping some humanity to heal himself and then pulling out a spear and trying the same thing against me. I get the better of the exchanges and when he goes to heal with more humanity I put him down with a backstab. Ashes to ashes, bitch.:black101:

Cakeequals posted:

Man, what is it with Dragons and suiciding?

I can get Blue Drakes in the Valley of the Drakes to suicide off cliffs pretty regularly, too. Actually, come to think of it, the true art of this game is finding out how to make any sort of enemy suicide off a cliff.

Hell Diver fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Oct 11, 2011

Futanari Rastafari
Apr 19, 2004

New Sincerity Posting
So I really don't feel like grinding out 120,000 souls currently to repair my relationship with the Giant Blacksmith so what am I missing out on by putting it off? I am guessing it goes up by 5,000 SL per level of mine but I know he does some weapon upgrades. Does he do most of the nice ones or just the fire sword?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

RBA Starblade posted:

I love the fat roll animation. The player character doesn't even try, they just fall over and flail a little.
Wow. That isn't a typo? I need to find some heavy stuff and see that.
edit: Don't have enough stuff. :(

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
So Sen seems to be the area with the most pvp. I just invaded someone with the Dragon Eye Stone and redeemed a sweet sweet dragon scale. Dude didn't know what to do when a tank with a dragon head came busting in on him. :black101:

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Futanari Rastafari posted:

So I really don't feel like grinding out 120,000 souls currently to repair my relationship with the Giant Blacksmith so what am I missing out on by putting it off? I am guessing it goes up by 5,000 SL per level of mine but I know he does some weapon upgrades. Does he do most of the nice ones or just the fire sword?
The main things you are missing out on are boss soul items and lightning weapons. Those are pretty major things though.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Is multiplayer broken or something. I haven't been summoned once or even seen another players summon thing. I'm at the part where I fight a Moonlight Butterfly or something right now and haven't been able to do any co-op yet.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Where's a good place to get/buy a scimitar? I wanna get started on upgrading one so I can get that delicious looking Fury Sword.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW

evilalien posted:

For anybody who want's the rewards from the Darkmoon Blade covenenant but can't see to find anybody to invade, I just got a souvenir of reprisal from a harpy so you can farm those I guess.

How did you join that covenant? I'd trust the wiki but it seems to be a mess of internet fables poorly translated strategy guides.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Endings Question

Read somewhere you get the different endings if you take the lordvessel to someone other than Fransk is this true and where?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

OmegaZultan posted:

Where's a good place to get/buy a scimitar? I wanna get started on upgrading one so I can get that delicious looking Fury Sword.
Skeletons drop scimitars. I have so many scimitars from them.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Futanari Rastafari posted:

It's 2000 souls per soul level.

And he does lightning and crystal weapons, and is the only blacksmith that can do boss soul weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Holy poo poo, just helped someone defeat the Belfry Gargoyles. My character was using the Drake Sword and the fight lasted less than a goddamned minute!

I almost felt bad for making it so easy.

• Locked thread