Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

I said come in! posted:

I really think you would have a hard time convincing a lot of the hardcore sim fans that though. I spend quite a bit of time on sim racing forums, and they can get angry pretty easily, over the dumbest things. To be fair, these people are impossible to please, so Turn-10 should just do what they think is best.

An easy way to start a fight on a sim racing forum is to post a thread saying that NASCAR is one of the worst racing sports in the history of sports and that it is the easiest thing that anyone can do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ringo Star Get posted:

An easy way to start a fight on a sim racing forum is to post a thread saying that NASCAR is one of the worst racing sports in the history of sports and that it is the easiest thing that anyone can do.

I like to bash rFactor (it's a legitimately horrible sim that isn't realistic at all, but somehow people have latched onto it and considered it the most realistic sim to date), that gets people riled up. Bashing NASCAR on the iRacing forums produces some golden moments though, yes.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

I said come in! posted:

I like to bash rFactor (it's a legitimately horrible sim that isn't realistic at all, but somehow people have latched onto it and considered it the most realistic sim to date), that gets people riled up. Bashing NASCAR on the iRacing forums produces some golden moments though, yes.

Ringo Star Get posted:

:allears:

That aside, did any of the previous Forza's have an Ariel Atom, even as DLC? Wanna drive that car.

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day

Ringo Star Get posted:

I can see you have a lot of free time.

Brownie posted:

That aside, did any of the previous Forza's have an Ariel Atom, even as DLC? Wanna drive that car.

Okay, so the two things Forza is missing, are Spa and the Atom. And the continuous Nurburg plus the Gran Prix circuit. The THREE things Forza is missing at this point...

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Brownie posted:

Due to the way Turn 10 models cars and their suspension, this is an impossibility right now. Maybe in Forza 5.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Cannot Find Server posted:

Due to the way Turn 10 models cars and their suspension, this is an impossibility right now. Maybe in Forza 5.

Really? Any details or anything? That actually sounds like an interesting read. I wouldn't think it would be an issue but maybe I've no idea how the Atom's suspension works.

I just remember discovering that thing in PGR3 and it being the best part of that game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Brownie posted:

Really? Any details or anything? That actually sounds like an interesting read. I wouldn't think it would be an issue but maybe I've no idea how the Atom's suspension works.

I just remember discovering that thing in PGR3 and it being the best part of that game.

Ooh man, the PGR series is the best arcade racing series ever. I really hope Microsoft makes a new one someday, even though the original developer is gone now.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Brownie posted:

Basically, Turn 10 doesn't model suspensions is what it comes down to. This is really obvious on certain cars in Forza 3, like the 250 TR which is almost open-wheel up front; where the suspension should be is just blank nothingness instead. They've posted about this on their blogs quite a few times, responding to fans demanding the Atom and Caterham 7 be added.

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day
And the factory assist option should just be an option. Like when you go to the Assists page there's a flag where you can hit Y (is that taken on that screen?) to toggle factory/standard options. Switching to factory grays out or limits choices to only appropriate items. If you load a car that disagrees with your default difficulty settings, it just has to bring up that screen before the race and let you choose (change your settings or hit Y to return to your default). Although, if you take a factory car and add an aftermarket brakes kit, that should unlock the ABS option. etc.

I know that's some extra development headroom, but compared to everything else, it's quick and it's a good "car-lovers" feature.

Brownie posted:

Pretty sure the biggie is that you can see the suspension on the Atom. As detailed as the models for cars are, the Atom would take things up a level.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Man, I would have been fine with the Atom's wheels just floating or someshit, seems like a bad reason not to include that bad-rear end car.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Cannot Find Server posted:

Basically, Turn 10 doesn't model suspensions is what it comes down to. This is really obvious on certain cars in Forza 3, like the 250 TR which is almost open-wheel up front; where the suspension should be is just blank nothingness instead. They've posted about this on their blogs quite a few times, responding to fans demanding the Atom and Caterham 7 be added.

Right, but why do they refuse to do so? Is it because they don't want to animate anything or is it the complexity or what? If they're just laser scanning all their cars then they wouldn't really be able to do that with the atom, so if that's the case it makes sense.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Man, I cannot break loving 1:48 in the Zonda, reading about you guys getting into the 30s is bumming me out. :qq:

However, turning off the racing line made me soooo much better it's insane. Plus it feels cool as hell to play with every assist off. Especially when you play a bit, then have someone else give it a go and watch them spin the gently caress out all the time.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

pvax posted:

Oh my dear god .... I am crying tears of joy while my ears bleed red nectar.

This clip is almost NWS because of how sexy it sounds

This is loving amazing.

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Man, I cannot break loving 1:48 in the Zonda, reading about you guys getting into the 30s is bumming me out.
I haven't beaten 1:48 either. I get close-ish, but I always gently caress up one turn or another.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Brownie posted:

Right, but why do they refuse to do so? Is it because they don't want to animate anything or is it the complexity or what? If they're just laser scanning all their cars then they wouldn't really be able to do that with the atom, so if that's the case it makes sense.

I imagine it comes down to hardware. Suspension components would be pretty resource-intensive if they wanted to model them properly to fit with the rest of the game, and given that they've already had to make some pretty significant compromises in Forza 4 (i.e. no night racing) to make the game run smooth and look good, it just doesn't seem like they could pull it off. Remember, the 360 is very old by console standards, and I'm sure that Forza 4 is already pushing the old bastard to it's limits.

Forza 5 on the Xbox 720 will (hopefully) not run into these limitations.

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
Has anyone who got this early set up a goon car club yet? I'd like to join as soon as possible tomorrow! Also do we have any meta tags yet?

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
I was first in line :smug:

EDIT: you will all hate the first race - all assists on full, including autobrake :negative:

The Science Goy fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Oct 11, 2011

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

CaseFace McGee posted:

EDIT: you will all hate the first race - all assists on full, including autobrake :negative:

Haha I thought it was just an extremely assertive traction/stability control. At least it's short. What is the purpose of that race? To determine what difficulty settings to default to?

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

ihop posted:

Haha I thought it was just an extremely assertive traction/stability control. At least it's short. What is the purpose of that race? To determine what difficulty settings to default to?

I don't think so - just to get you to race right away, I guess... Right after that race, I fixed the controls. I'm installing disc 2 now, and then I'll try to download the car packs.

I picked the Ford Ka for my first car.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
Just picked this up tonight and will surely be playing it quite a lot tommorrow and in the days to come if the game is anything like F3. I will most likely be screwing around in single player for the first few hours but feel free to add me.

GT: WaysideB

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I figured you can't get much shittier than a Mary-Kay Pink Chevy Spark, so that's what I started with. I've been trying to figure out how to do the Top Gear compact car soccer games online but I can't seem to find it, so I guess I'll give the career mode a spin.

If anyone gets a goon car club or meta-tag going please send an invite to HumpDumper

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.

pvax posted:

Oh my dear god .... I am crying tears of joy while my ears bleed red nectar.

This clip is almost NWS because of how sexy it sounds

This is fantastic. No more vacuum cleaner turbine noises!

e: dudes who have the game already, tell me about the painting and livery editor please

siig
Apr 4, 2005

Being nice is the shit ...
To anybody who already has FM4: is the vinyl group import from your FM3 profile a one-time, all-or-nothing deal? Or can you pick and choose which vinyls to bring over (and hopefully at any time)?

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

I've gotta work in less than 6 hours, so I won't check them out tonight, but I can update tomorrow afternoon if nobody beats me to it.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Got a text today saying that my LCE is ready to be picked up tomorrow! Even better, I don't have work or anything going on for a few days! I was going to join the LFA train but it dawned on me that there's way too many cars for me to drive already so it won't be a big deal to go without it unless there comes a time that I just want to buy it or get it as a reward.

e: shittttt, 16 person races are going to be insane tomorrow

siig
Apr 4, 2005

Being nice is the shit ...
Also, in FM4 do they let you sort your saved vinyl groups in any way? Even just sorting them by file name would be a huge improvement.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Literally going to be at my Gamestop in the AM to buy a regular copy since Frys is taking their sweet time on telling me when their shipment of LCE's come in. The other problem though is I have to work for 5 hours tomorrow...which is 5 hours NOT FORZA-ING.

So who's ready for terrible public lobbies? Oh wait, player-run lobbies are back, I can't wait to kick out Shitlords.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I hate you all right now. I should get my regular copy this week but two things keep me from playing it: a lack of a functional Xbox and the fact that I ship out to basic training next week.

I won't get to play until mid- to late-December at the earliest :(

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

GT5 got a massive new update today, and it's pretty awesome, but i'm still super jealous and want Forza 4. D: I hope I can get the game soon, it just won't be at release.

Samswing
Jan 8, 2009

:dukedog:
Can't play till Sunday which means I hate you all.

Tell me everything.

Please

E:reading above, I dont feel so bad. Back to grinding the 458 time!

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Wife will be picking up my copy while I'm at work. I'll see you bitches when I get home.

Wanderer89
Oct 12, 2009

CaseFace McGee posted:

Yeah this sucked.

went and picked up a copy from wally world after a friend goaded me,
unskippable clarkson video ahoy, and you better play through that lap on easy mode, don't quit, or it just restarts the unskippable video.
*waits for video

e: also I turned down the lce, how stupid am I? I just don't think 20$ is worth a pretty book and cars that will be available down the line. Was thinking I could take that 20$ to season pass or whatever and get more content...

Cattywampus
Oct 14, 2008

Goddamn this game. After I got all my downloads done I played for several hours straight. Rivals is really slick and I fear it will be the end of me.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

I couldn't get the LCE, so I got the season pass instead.

And I just got a free MR2.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

I said come in! posted:

GT5 got a massive new update today, and it's pretty awesome, but i'm still super jealous and want Forza 4. D: I hope I can get the game soon, it just won't be at release.

If you can drop a few hundred on a fanatec, you can drop a few hundred on an xbox. :v:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lyer posted:

If you can drop a few hundred on a fanatec, you can drop a few hundred on an xbox. :v:

I can't drop a few hundred on a fanatec. D: But I have a $150 Best Buy gift card, so an Xbox 360 is probably happening.

Southpaw
Mar 9, 2006

Ringo Star Get posted:

So who's ready for terrible public lobbies? Oh wait, player-run lobbies are back, I can't wait to kick out Shitlords.

That was the main reason I didn't play 3 more than 2. The loss of player-run lobbies just sucked horribly.

See you all in a matter of hours now.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
If Fanatec doesn't ship my CSR tomorrow I think I'll start live roleplaying Forza 4...

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.
Goddamn you delayed Australian release, why couldn't we get 4 early just like 3 :smith:

blodycoughbynewport
Oct 26, 2008

Sponsored by Big tobacco!
Hahahahahaha yesssssss

My copy is on a plane from PA to NY, and Best Buy just sent me a download token for the 1M even though they cancelled my fuckin' order.

Today is gonna be a good day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:

blodycoughbynewport posted:

Best Buy just sent me a download token for the 1M even though they cancelled my fuckin' order.

Grats on getting your game shipped finally, I seriously hope this happens to me as well since I distinctly remember you and I going through the exact same bullshit simultaneously :ohdear:

• Locked thread