Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Since you can change your skin tone to green I totally made a orc bandit. I am 2-handing a basic club for the A parameter bonus on strength, taking almost nothing but strength, and I do as much damage with this thing as the claymore I use on my more serious dude. I recommend everyone do an orc run, it's awesome :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Does anyone have any idea what the best weapon for a character focused on intelligence is? I have a Magic Halberd +10 right now and was wondering what I should focus on next, it only has C scaling with intelligence. I have the Moonlight Sword from the tail of Seath the Scaleless which has A scaling with int, but the poor non-scaled damage leaves it a lot weaker than what I have right now.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I find Costello's second form way harder to solo, so being a tank character I killed him first. Costello has superior walking and running speed, so draw his attention and try to pull him deeper into the room while Abbot plays catch up, and use the opportunity to get some potshots on Costello. Keep in mind he's lightning resistant, but weak to magic I believe.

If you manage to kill Skinny, all that happens to Fatty is he gets faster and does more damage. No new attacks, just enhanced versions of previous ones. So hang back and study his patterns and he goes down pretty easily if you're patient. He also retains his weakness to lightning, despite what happens. to his hammer.

If you're human form, don't forget to summon Solaire like I did! Even if he eventually bites it in battle, he won't die in your game or anything.

Bleep I plan on making a dex/int thief after I'm done with my current character. How much int do you have and how much damage does that weapon do with it?

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Yodzilla posted:

loving Transient Curse, why did they make this poo poo so goddamn expensive.

Get cursed for real then go through New Londo with the item finding ring a couple times. I've got 20 of them.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Wait where can you get cursed. I haven't even seen that happen yet.

e: or is this one of those "there's only one way to do it, you'll never find it unless you look it up on the wiki" things

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Yodzilla posted:

Wait where can you get cursed. I haven't even seen that happen yet.
The depths, curse frogs do it. Run down there and have yourself a curse frog party!

edit: it absolutely isn't something off the beaten path, you have to go through the curse frogs to get to the boss of that area anyway. Most people don't get cursed deliberately the first time.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Just beat the "fatty and slim" boss, and yep that was definitely the hardest fight of the game thus far. For a fight where having an NPC partner is practically required not to get immediately raped, it was particularly terrifying watching my stockpile of hoarded Humanities slowly tick down with failure after failure. Eventually I had a good run, Pyro-ed slim to death, then busted out my Lightning Uchigatana and went medieval on fatty's rear end.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
For frogs, always two-hand your weapon. They don't have any physical attacks.

Are the giant leeches in Blighttown respawnable, and if so, are they even remotely easy to farm?

nogic
Jul 6, 2002

Safe Driver posted:

Three hits. If you run from where you grab the armour to piss it off, and take the pathway on the right and run back to the entrance it'll get mad and jump at you and get stuck holding onto the ledge. You just have to walk up and hit its tentacle/hand and it'll die right away!

I tried this but he just kept blasting me with his fire attack and wouldn't do the thing where he jumps at you and gets stuck on the ledge.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Elysiume posted:

For frogs, always two-hand your weapon. They don't have any physical attacks.

Are the giant leeches in Blighttown respawnable, and if so, are they even remotely easy to farm?

They respawn and I think you could farm them somewhat easily if you started at the Hollows entrance fire. It's about a minute from the main clump of leeches

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Also you should totally think of this game as like Mega Man, if you are getting your rear end clobbered in one area it is usually because there is something you need from another area to fight effectively.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Samurai Sanders posted:

The depths, curse frogs do it. Run down there and have yourself a curse frog party!

edit: it absolutely isn't something off the beaten path, you have to go through the curse frogs to get to the boss of that area anyway. Most people don't get cursed deliberately the first time.

Is The Depths somewhere I should have gone before Londo? Is that through the Catacombs?

e: forget it. apparently i have to read a wiki to get what's going on. this game is a lot more obtuse than Demon's Souls was

vv oh. he kills me in three seconds so i figured i needed to go to him later but i can beat the poo poo out of some ghosts! guess i have to grind for curse items because there's no way i'm getting through Capra now.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Yodzilla posted:

Is The Depths somewhere I should have gone before Londo? Is that through the Catacombs?

The Depths is below Undead Burg. You get the key after killing the Capra demon.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

NESguerilla posted:

Is there any way to predict that the shockwave thing that quaalag does? It just seems to come out of nowhere to one shot me and turn an otherwise easy boss into a nightmare.

quoting myself here because I have spent like 5 hours trying to beat this thing and I'm starting to lose my nerve.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Yeah stay near her sides. when the human portion slumps over she's gonna explode!

You have to be careful with her leg stomp but it's much less dangerous of an attack.

darkOcean
Jul 22, 2010

I'm a stormy night;
You're a rainbow

DeathSandwich posted:

No, those are mostly people who intentionally stay low level, farm the poo poo out of their weapons/armor, bring in their buddies and farm *you*. Thats all I ever get with the darkmoon summoning ring at least.

This poo poo is making an evil man out of me. I was really excited to be a forest defender and serve the CAT LORD.

Oh, and I'm now on the roof of Sen's Fortress, but I'm very worried because my mimic chest on the way there didn't drop a lightning spear. Did I miss something? Can I buy or make one later? I really need to start thinking about life post-Drake Sword; with teeach new area I can feel it slowing down.

And I know there are better weapons because those Japanese assholes keep forest farming me with it.

They are Japanese, right? Their PSN names are totally retarded. And not our brand of retarded.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

NESguerilla posted:

quoting myself here because I have spent like 5 hours trying to beat this thing and I'm starting to lose my nerve.

Look at the female part, when she lays down to hug the spider part, RUN!

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Sankis posted:

They respawn and I think you could farm them somewhat easily if you started at the Hollows entrance fire. It's about a minute from the main clump of leeches
Well, I just need to actually get through Blighttown. I got a reasonable distance in, but I had 10,000 souls banked and had no idea when I'd see a bonfire next so I boned out. It got me a ton of arrows and +5'ing my bow. I decided to duck out instead of go on ahead because that place was insanely stressful and it wasn't something I wanted to be doing before I went to sleep.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
General boss tactics:

- stay beside or behind them
- always keep enough stamina to get a good distance away fast when you need to
- keep watching their body posture and when they rear back or jump up in the air or yell or something, take a whole hell of a lot of steps back
- if they start spewing hot lava or purple bile or something on the ground you probably shouldn't step in it.
- bring a white phantom (or alternately be a white phantom yourself the first time, to see what they are like before its your turn)

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So I was thinking about joining the chaos witches on my dex character, but I'm not exactly sure how you're suppose to rank up in it, anyone want to fill me in?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I was in the room before the Anor Londo bosses in human form so I could summon an NPC for help when suddenly I get invaded. It seems like a particularly dick move to invade someone in that particular room, since you know anyone in human form there is just trying to survive the oncoming boss.

So I'm waiting at the top of the stairs for the guy to show up, and finally he comes in decked out in heavy armor and a two-handed greatsword. He sees me and I just stand there at the top of the stairs waiting for him to slowly amble towards me. I'm just holding a bow and a shield. When he gets about 5 feet away, I quickly switch to my Pyromancy and one-shot him with a Chaos Fireball.

Serves him right.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

darkOcean posted:

Oh, and I'm now on the roof of Sen's Fortress, but I'm very worried because my mimic chest on the way there didn't drop a lightning spear. Did I miss something? Can I buy or make one later? I really need to start thinking about life post-Drake Sword; with teeach new area I can feel it slowing down.
I am pretty sure it always drops. Not that you can't make lightning weapons of your own, out of more useful base weapons than a spear.

The mimic you want is down the elevator that will smack you into spikes. At least, that is how I got to it.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
How the gently caress did I not notice the BIG WEIRD LOOKING MONSTER RIGHT NEXT TO THE BLACKSMITH?? Ugh gently caress me I've been playing this game too long and need to go to bed. I can't think straight.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
So is the painted world worth checking out? I only have 1 lord boss left, and I've been just about everywhere else. The Holow and Ash were optional areas that were effctively worthless, so I'm wondering if the Painted World will end up being much the same, also I'm a Sorceror.

I also sort of don't like how the Capra Demon was by far the hardest boss in the game, I only have I think 3 bosses left, so maybe one of them will be harder (one being the final boss) but I doubt it. I literally 3 shotted the last few bosses, Sorceror gets really dumb later on.

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

:neckbeard: :woop: :downsbravo: :slick:

Samurai Sanders posted:

General boss tactics:

- stay beside or behind them
- always keep enough stamina to get a good distance away fast when you need to
- keep watching their body posture and when they rear back or jump up in the air or yell or something, take a whole hell of a lot of steps back
- if they start spewing hot lava or purple bile or something on the ground you probably shouldn't step in it.
- bring a white phantom (or alternately be a white phantom yourself the first time, to see what they are like before its your turn)

I pretty much always do this now. Always white phantom a fight to see what it's like and what can go wrong, and to see if you need to level up more or get better weapons.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

goldjas posted:

So is the painted world worth checking out? I only have 1 lord boss left, and I've been just about everywhere else. The Holow and Ash were optional areas that were effctively worthless, so I'm wondering if the Painted World will end up being much the same, also I'm a Sorceror.

I also sort of don't like how the Capra Demon was by far the hardest boss in the game, I only have I think 3 bosses left, so maybe one of them will be harder (one being the final boss) but I doubt it. I literally 3 shotted the last few bosses, Sorceror gets really dumb later on.

The painted world has a lot of useful stuff in it and a fun boss fight.

edit: I'm not saying fun sarcastically, it's actually a cool gimmick.

darkOcean
Jul 22, 2010

I'm a stormy night;
You're a rainbow

Filthy Monkey posted:

I am pretty sure it always drops. Not that you can't make lightning weapons of your own, out of more useful base weapons than a spear.

The mimic you want is down the elevator that will smack you into spikes. At least, that is how I got to it.

Yeah, that's where I was - it didn't drop.

Actually, just as I beat the chest, I started to be summoned to defend the forest.

Of course, I failed.

God loving damnit.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Oh great, now I'm cursed. And I guess getting cursed is also an instakill, thanks for twisting the knife From :mad:

god I hate the depths

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

goldjas posted:

Question

I did the secret dungeon before going after the Lords, so yeah go ahead and do it now. Bring some Blooming Purple Moss though!

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Where can I get a katana to make the chaos blade?

Edit: Nevermind. I didn't realize the iato counted as a katana

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

I swear I wrote something funny here.
Is Astora's Straight Sword worth upgrading for a faith build or should I start building towards a Divine Longsword?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Ledneh posted:

Oh great, now I'm cursed. And I guess getting cursed is also an instakill, thanks for twisting the knife From :mad:

god I hate the depths
The depths are like ten times less stressful that Blighttown. If you don't want to farm the 3,000 souls, you can always trade with Snuggy for some curse removal.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

bleep posted:

Does anyone have any idea what the best weapon for a character focused on intelligence is? I have a Magic Halberd +10 right now and was wondering what I should focus on next, it only has C scaling with intelligence. I have the Moonlight Sword from the tail of Seath the Scaleless which has A scaling with int, but the poor non-scaled damage leaves it a lot weaker than what I have right now.

The "enchanted" line offers a few weapons with A Intelligence scaling, but I haven't tried them yet so I don't know how viable they are. Off the top of my head these are the falchion, the schythe, and those large clubs the barbarians use in blight town.

This is according to the Futurepress guide. I think there may be errors in it, though, as the only S scaling it even lists is for enchanted bows and that scales again with intelligence.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Phoix posted:

The painted world has a lot of useful stuff in it and a fun boss fight.

edit: I'm not saying fun sarcastically, it's actually a cool gimmick.
Yeah I loved that fight. Even more so by the fact that you have to attack her first, when you come into the room she will just politely ask you to leave.

UberChair
Jan 8, 2008

This club is borin' the crap outta me!
I really want Lautrec's pimpass armor. Can I kill him at Firelink, and is this a good idea at SL23 or so?

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

UberChair posted:

I really want Lautrec's pimpass armor. Can I kill him at Firelink, and is this a good idea at SL18 or so?

You won't get his armor if you do that. Let him kill the flame keeper then you can get his gear after you get revenge on him later.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
thanks dudes. Anyone know what the skinny one is weak to, if anything? Seems like lightning doesn't phase him.

What are yall considering "cheap" deaths? There are definitely obtuse things that killed me because I didn't understand what I was doing but I can't think of anything that seemed straight dumb. Maybe the Titanite Demon killing me with its jump attack because it broke my target lock when it jumped and i didn't know which way to dodge, that sucked, kind of

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Has anyone at all managed to get Kirk's armor of thorns? It seems pretty hard to do. You would definitely need to be following the guide from the beginning of the game.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

swamp waste posted:

thanks dudes. Anyone know what the skinny one is weak to, if anything? Seems like lightning doesn't phase him.

What are yall considering "cheap" deaths? There are definitely obtuse things that killed me because I didn't understand what I was doing but I can't think of anything that seemed straight dumb. Maybe the Titanite Demon killing me with its jump attack because it broke my target lock when it jumped and i didn't know which way to dodge, that sucked, kind of

He's weak to fire.

There's some instances of cheap death I thought, like Stray Demon doing his explosion swing multiple times in a row, which is all but impossible to survive unless you get well behind him, but keeping at it and learning the strategies kind of helps me cope. O+S are horseshit though solo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I know I can get rid of my curse by buying the cure from the female undead merchant by the lower burg, or by trading with Sparkly for the cure, but wasn't there a third option somewhere that I'm forgetting?

• Locked thread