Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
People that know their poo poo about Explosive weapons: Is the Red Glare a decent weapon for an Explosives character? Having a full-auto Quake Rocket Launcher seems awesome, but the low damage per shot is kinda putting me off of using it when I make an Explosives character. I could probably go with the Grenade Machinegun and do the same amount of damage as I could with the Red Glare, and I don't need to go to a high-level DLC area to get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

closeted republican posted:

People that know their poo poo about Explosive weapons: Is the Red Glare a decent weapon for an Explosives character? Having a full-auto Quake Rocket Launcher seems awesome, but the low damage per shot is kinda putting me off of using it when I make an Explosives character. I could probably go with the Grenade Machinegun and do the same amount of damage as I could with the Red Glare, and I don't need to go to a high-level DLC area to get it.

You can get it at level 1-3 by entering LR collecting the launcher off that roof along with the ammo, then fighting some marked men to get back to the silo. The commissary has a restocking supply of all the rocket mods and ammo. So long as you don't mind the occasional trip to LR to buy more ammo in the early game it's perfectly viable, and much faster than the missile launcher.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Whenever I use the Red Glare, I just think to myself "Man, a big kid mini-nuke launched from Esther would get the job done and look more awesome than that puny rocket launcher." Then I nuke whatever is attacking me.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Red Glare would be pretty awesome if there was a sabot Rocket that just sheered body parts off and stuck them places ala a high powered Railroad gun.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

So I've gotten pretty far in my melee run. Nuka club is awesome btw. Where the hell is benny's room? I can't seem to find it. Only stopped playing because game crashes when I try to enter the top's courtyard. :iiam:

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

How viable would an explosives only run be? The only thing I'm guessing you should look out for is friendlies getting caught in your explosions.

Also, I might add that Esther+Big Kid nuke+100 Explosives Skill+Splash Damage = One nuked Courier. No matter have far away I fire the thing, I always end up crippling my legs and lose 50-75% of my HP.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Oct 11, 2011

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Starhawk64 posted:

How viable would an explosives only run be? The only thing I'm guessing you should look out for is friendlies getting caught in your explosions.

If you buy the Courier's Stash, you get a Grenade Rifle as soon as you start, so the early part of the game is much more manageable.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?

Starhawk64 posted:

You'll need something to back it up early while ammo is more scarce. Killing the boomers will yield hundreds of 40/25mm grenades, missiles and frags though. Once I did this I was just firing Annabelle at all and sundry. If you are going into a vault or something I would have melee/unarmed as a fallback though. Nothing better than not being able to blow something up and just separating its head from body with your bare hands.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Starhawk64 posted:

Forget collecting loot scattered in rooms though. THe physics just jams that poo poo into places you won't find.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

If you buy the Courier's Stash, you get a Grenade Rifle as soon as you start, so the early part of the game is much more manageable.

there's a grenade rifle with ammo in one of the buildings in nipton that I usually grab as well that would be nice for repairs too

Griffon
May 14, 2003

Now that I've finished Honest Hearts, I have a new appreciation for Dead Money. Accept for the holograms. gently caress them.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?

Kharmakazy posted:

Forget collecting loot scattered in rooms though. THe physics just jams that poo poo into places you won't find.

I blew the poo poo out of the Van Graffs and found about two guns since everything had (I assume) lodged itself within walls etc.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9

Nycticeius posted:

Are you trying on regular Brahmin or merchants' Brahmin? because I believe you can't tip the merchants' ones.

I was trying the ones in Novac specifically, haven't tried elsewhere, yet.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

I blew the poo poo out of the Van Graffs and found about two guns since everything had (I assume) lodged itself within walls etc.

That's why you loot them before you start shooting, or at least get the most valuable stuff first (Plasma Caster, etc) then let them attack you because you were stealing.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

That's why you loot them before you start shooting, or at least get the most valuable stuff first (Plasma Caster, etc) then let them attack you because you were stealing.

I went in with Cass and used my terrifying presence to make them go "hmmm you probably could kill us all" then i started to chuck grenades everywhere before opening up with the grenade machine gun. I lost all the gear but it was fun to blow everything up.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Astroturf Man posted:

This and the Sierra Madre Vending Machine Infinite Money Device
What's your tactic for this?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Starhawk64 posted:

Also, I might add that Esther+Big Kid nuke+100 Explosives Skill+Splash Damage = One nuked Courier. No matter have far away I fire the thing, I always end up crippling my legs and lose 50-75% of my HP.

It's doable. Likely you'll want a gun anyway, ammo can be hard to come by, especially early on. And forget about hardcore, explosive ammo weighs way too much.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

LividLiquid posted:

What's your tactic for this?

Find the code for Weapon Repair kits, buy like 50 of them once you are back in the Mojave, kill Fiends and Marked Men and poo poo, take thier guns, repair them, sell them, enjoy unlimited caps.

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006
Falsifying grassroots support since 2006!

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Find the code for Weapon Repair kits, buy like 50 of them once you are back in the Mojave, kill Fiends and Marked Men and poo poo, take thier guns, repair them, sell them, enjoy unlimited caps.

Or if you want to be even lazier, buy a load of Weapon Repair Kits and travel to merchants with lovely quality weapons (like the Van Graffs) buying their stuff and then selling it back to them for loads more money.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Fag Boy Jim posted:

where's the mod that gives ED-E a little first recon beret to wear, that's the best mod ever

This is truly the best mod.
http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=36673

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Bash Ironfist posted:

So I've gotten pretty far in my melee run. Nuka club is awesome btw. Where the hell is benny's room? I can't seem to find it. Only stopped playing because game crashes when I try to enter the top's courtyard. :iiam:

You have to go directly from the reception, there is four elevator doors and only one working. Bennys Suite is in the 13th floor, with ornate double doors, you can't miss it.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Zorak posted:

Oh, also re: Honest Hearts, the Survivalist stuff was definitely the high point and great, the last bit hit me hard because I am a softy :(

I was really considering siding with David and evacuating, until I found the last Survivalist entry.

No way that poo poo is gonna fly now :clint:

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Hell yeah the survivalist was the best part. I only missed out on 2 of his entries so I never learned what happened to him till now. He certainly is infinitely more bad rear end when you don't know the beginning and end of the story. I could not let Daniel pussy his way out of the valley since even an idiot would notice that the tribals would just follow them out. They weren't after the land you idiot they were after you guys! Ugh such an idiot. Rock on with the burned man all the time.

Anyone who plays Honest Hearts need this though.

Such a lovely burned man by default.

Gotta say so far Dead Money is pretty awesome though such a change in pace. The enemies seem a bit off though that might just be from using project nevada. Sometimes I can drop them in a single sneak shot other times it takes like 20 rounds. Though I must say wow god drat Old World Blues was such a lead in to Dead Money. Having combed all over the Big Empty definitely is paying off now.

Though it is too bad I couldn't take the ghost people suit with me to the Sierra Madre. I was wondering why there was a single hazmat suit that looked like a garbage ghost man in the rubble of a building but it makes sense now. Seems like every little one off thing in OWB has a connection to DM. The crazy hologram programmer, the hazmat research, the stealth suit, and even that lone terminal burred in rubble and shoved in the far corner of the forbidden zone. All lead up to the Sierra Madre.

I hope the Lonesome Road lives up to the awesomeness of these two.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 19, 2011

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

It's doable. Likely you'll want a gun anyway, ammo can be hard to come by, especially early on. And forget about hardcore, explosive ammo weighs way too much.

It isn't that bad in Hardcore if you can be arsed to take Heavyweight, Pack Rat perks and Hoarder trait (Heavyweight requires Dead Money, Hoarder unlocks with OWB). One trait and two perks is a good compromise for what you get i think because expecially Pack Rat reduces the weight of everything that counts.

One solution for high aoe mini nukes i've found: Don't fire it manually, use Steady and try to fire it off from far away with VATS. Even if you have %1 percent chance to hit and no obstacles on the trajectory the nuke travels and "misses" the intended target and goes off nearby. I am not sure how it will fare with all the explosives perks stacked with Tiny Tots though but works just fine with regular mini nukes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Capn Beeb posted:

I was really considering siding with David and evacuating, until I found the last Survivalist entry.

That's pretty much exactly what happened to me too, I was all for the idea of not falling to the base urge for violence till I read that last entry and realized that it would be basically spitting in the face of the Father to abandon Zion.

I'm glad that they give you the option to stop the execution though, that would have been a step too far. The bad guy still died, because he had to, but he died fighting instead of on his knees being executed while crying his eyes out.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

randombattle posted:

I could not let Daniel pussy his way out of the valley since even an idiot would notice that the tribals would just follow them out.

Daniel's solution was bullshit. Zion was their home, it doesn't make sense that they would just up and leave.

Part of their charm was that they were peaceful and spirituality played a large role in their tribe, but that makes it even more infuriating. Why would they give up Zion, the land that holds so much to them? If anything they would be more willing to fight to prevent their "sacred land" from being abused and trashed.

I obviously sided with the Joshua on my play-through but I did reload a save and side with Daniel just to see the ending. To counter-point what I quoted you on:

If you side with Daniel and protect them while they escape you blow up the passageway on the Zion side after they have left so they can't be followed.

Jerusalem: Regarding the "bad guy"

He doesn't have to die, I can't remember what skill the check was for(I think it was speech) but you could leave him alive and teach Joshua "compassion".

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I sided with Daniel. It's hard to really say why... but I think I'll give it a go again. (I tried to justify it in the last thread, but I'm not sure I expressed myself well enough.)

It wasn't because of his noble savage bullshit or his fixation on innocence. That just pissed me off. I think what was really behind it was well, I was personally shocked that I had forgotten that killing people was a bad thing.

I was killing people right and left so casually, that at first I didn't understand what Daniel was even saying... You're trying to end this in such a way that they... don't kill people? Why? How?

I like to think there was a little redemption story arc that my character went through too in Honest Hearts. I remembered mercilessly killing every last Fiend and feeling absolutely nothing but vague satisfaction. But those were people. Messed up people, to be sure. A danger to the lives of many, of course... there may have been no way to help them, and it may have been the only humane rational thing to wipe them out in order to save the lives of all their potential future victims... but drat it, I should have felt bad at least. I should have cared. I didn't.

And this tribe here, the Sorrow... I don't care if they were innocent or spiritual... I cared that they made me remember that. I didn't want the world to lose something that could do that... something that could bring just a bit of humanity back to the merciless wastes.

My character didn't become a pacifist, and I still ended up killing quite a few White Legs to get the Sorrow out of the valley. I recognized that in the lawless wasteland killing often saves lives... but I also recognized that you should do what you could to avoid it.

Even the White Legs were people.

And so now there's still a tribe out there that doesn't kill. And maybe other people will hear of their successful escape from the White Legs, hear the story of how they chose not to kill their enemies, even when they had the ability to. Some people might just laugh at the stupid spiritual tribals as they gun down a perfect stranger for looking at them funny. But maybe some people will wonder why... and maybe they'll take even the smallest step to reassessing how they value human life.

I wasn't happy with what I'd done. I didn't feel a satisfying sense of victory over my enemy. But I know I did the only thing I thought was right.

The worst part is I hadn't found the Survivalist's final log until after the Sorrow had left. That was a loving blow to the gut to read... But if I had to do it all over again... I'd do it the same way.

Basically Honest Hearts made me sad, but also feel like I'd become a better person (at least my character in game became better). For that, along with the atmosphere, and characters of Joshua and the Survivalist, it's my favorite DLC, hands down.

I do understand that a lot of this is a videogame mindset- totally functional non-sociopathic people are absolutely fine with gunning down fake grunts in a videogame. Myself included. But when playing an RPG like New Vegas, the whole thing becomes a lot more fun the more you actually role play it. I was definitely taking it 'too seriously' when I felt bad about what I'd done to videogame people... but sometimes I want to feel bad like that. It's another type of fun. Taking Honest Hearts a bit too seriously provided a bunch of that type of fun.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
Those are pretty interesting reactions. I sided with Joshua, but finding all the logs afterwards made me want to side with Daniel actually. The lesson I got from them was the world was really crappy, and the Sorrows were a chance to start over again. Zion is just Zion, but staying and fighting would erase the whole point of what the Survivalist did with the Sorrows. I felt really bad about siding with Joshua afterwards.

Anyway the logs were a great take on religion.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dead Money teaches you that beginning again is for chumps and you drag your own history everywhere with you, but also that you should know when to let go. Which DLC do I use to guide my morality?!

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Introspective revelations like what you experienced are what is going to be necessary for video games to move past the mass media proclamation that they are bad and drive kids into psychotic rages.

But it is not an easy task to make it a game at the same time and keep the fun in it. It's why Obsidian are miles ahead of the competition.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

Dead Money teaches you that beginning again is for chumps and you drag your own history everywhere with you, but also that you should know when to let go. Which DLC do I use to guide my morality?!

It took me almost fifty odd quickloads before i dropped all the goddamn gold bars except five and made a run for it. The ending made more sense when i finally said just let it go man.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Or you can just kill Elijah in the force field door, load his corpse up with all the bars and run for it, picking up all the bars when you're on the other side. Take it all with you!

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Scorchy posted:

Those are pretty interesting reactions. I sided with Joshua, but finding all the logs afterwards made me want to side with Daniel actually. The lesson I got from them was the world was really crappy, and the Sorrows were a chance to start over again. Zion is just Zion, but staying and fighting would erase the whole point of what the Survivalist did with the Sorrows. I felt really bad about siding with Joshua afterwards.

Anyway the logs were a great take on religion.
Huh. I guess the final log could be taken multiple ways. I suppose I never really identified with the Survivalist that much... I appreciated him, but I didn't necessarily agree with him. So I was really quick to interpret his final message to the Sorrow as fitting his more aggressive nature.

This line got me bad:
"I tell them never to hurt each other but that if someone else comes along and tries to hurt them to strike back with righteous anger."
It made me feel I didn't live up to the Survivalist's ideals... I mean, he was just a guy, I know, but I still cared.

But then, there's also his final words which suggest something else...
"I wish them well. It's been a gift to me, at the end of it all, to behold innocence."

... drat. I just realized how very much it is like trying to interpret the moral message of a religious document.

I guess it's pretty easy for a lot of people to kind of deify the Survivalist, even knowing full well he was just a man. I know I definitely felt his opinion Meant something, and I'm pretty aggressively a-religious.

Old World Blues was hilarious. Dead Money was cool and atmospheric. Lonesome Road at its best had an epic feel to it... but Honest Hearts is the one that really had a soul to it... for me at least.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I love that they're all connected, tell a story, they clearly put a ton of effort into them instead of just cashing in, and they all have a distinct feeling that's different from that of the main game. It's the best set of DLC I've ever seen.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
So I'm just about to do Lonesome on an different character, but a quick question (gonna spoil this just in case, but really it's nothing too major):

did anyone figure how exactly the DLC says what side you are fighting for? Right before I went in Arcade seemed to think I was fighting for NCR, which is weird because I'm doing Independent, planted the Override Chip and all I have to do is tell Yes Man the word Go and it's Hoover Dam time. For reference, I'm Idolized by the Strip, a Good Natured Rascal to the NCR and a Merciful Thug to the Legion. I did get far enough in the NCR quest line to get an alliance between them and the BoS though.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

They're not so much DLC as they are Expansion Packs. Proper ones. :unsmith:

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
I'd even say the DLC's are better then the main game. Sure, you lose that free-roaming feel, but you gain so much in a closed setting storytelling, and everything can be connected instead. In the wastelands it's pretty hard to do foreshadowing and such because you can just skip almost everything if you want to. You can run to Vegas in the beginning and never even hear about the Legion for instance.

Also, I like the HH system of taking poo poo with you the best. In OWB I never used anything I found there because I had better poo poo with me already, in Dead Money you have no choice and it feels like a bit of a slog sometimes, and in HH I felt it was just right. I got a few guns and a piece of armour and that was it, excellent.

My ratings until now (halfway trough DM, doing lonesome road afterwards):
HH > OWB > Dead Money

I really liked doing OWB before DM, because of all the foreshadowing of the techs. It works better then the other way around IMO. HH just ties in directly with the main storyline (thanks to Joshua), and I feel it should be done around the time after your chat with Ceasar in the main storyline. OWB -> Dead Money is a true sideplot, the only connection is with the BoS questline. It's cool to know who Elijah is before you start the DLC's however.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

If you don't play HH with the sneering imperialist perk well then you haven't really played HH. It makes the final sequence/execution amazing.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

Or you can just kill Elijah in the force field door, load his corpse up with all the bars and run for it, picking up all the bars when you're on the other side. Take it all with you!

This brilliant idea will set me back 3 hours of gameplay because hot drat! Thanks and shame on me for leaving it before at least 100 quickloads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

Orange Crush Rush posted:

So I'm just about to do Lonesome on an different character, but a quick question (gonna spoil this just in case, but really it's nothing too major):

did anyone figure how exactly the DLC says what side you are fighting for? Right before I went in Arcade seemed to think I was fighting for NCR, which is weird because I'm doing Independent, planted the Override Chip and all I have to do is tell Yes Man the word Go and it's Hoover Dam time. For reference, I'm Idolized by the Strip, a Good Natured Rascal to the NCR and a Merciful Thug to the Legion. I did get far enough in the NCR quest line to get an alliance between them and the BoS though.

If you're on PC and Ulysses thinks you're with the wrong faction, you can always use the console to make your rep with NCR, Legion and Strip neutral. That'll give you the Independent dialogue, and you can fix it right back up afterwards.