Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

TACD posted:

I'd like to see Lynx and Ocelot used as well :) Though I guess ocelots are not that big, but it's a cute name.
Only if Lynx (the terminal text-only browser) is set as the default browser :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Okay I feel like I've been putting up with this too long. With Lion or the new iTunes or whatever it was, it got rid of the little arrows next to tracks. I had done the terminal tweak to make those links just take me to the artist/album in my library and basically found them invaluable and now I can't figure out how to get them back and it's slowly killing me.

e: Sorry forgot there was a separate iTunes thread

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Whats a good music duplicate file/track remover? I'm curious to see how much poo poo has been accumulated in this decades old library I just inherited. Don't worry, I'm going to run it on a copy of the library first.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

Whats a good music duplicate file/track remover? I'm curious to see how much poo poo has been accumulated in this decades old library I just inherited. Don't worry, I'm going to run it on a copy of the library first.

In the File menu there is a "Display Duplicates" option. Usually the best way is to select this, sort the columns in some way that makes sense to you, and then select and delete.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

IUG posted:

In the File menu there is a "Display Duplicates" option. Usually the best way is to select this, sort the columns in some way that makes sense to you, and then select and delete.

I really don't want to do this for what could be hundreds if not thousands of tracks as this library has probably been merged a few times with itself.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

krnhotwings posted:

On Snow Leopard and earlier versions, if I shutdown my computer it'd shutdown almost immediately. But ever since moving to Lion, a lot of times the OS will just hang with the spinning indicator on a gray screen for a minute or 2 (or more.) Anybody have any else getting this? What the heck is the OS doing when all I want it do is shutdown?

This probably means a background process is refusing to quit for some reason. It should be very quick to shut down when in the spinny screen, and should always be done within a minute.

What you should do is hold command-V while booting, and you'll get the verbose boot, which shows the kernel log on screen. It'll also show it during shutdown instead of the spinny screen, so you can see what process it is complaining about on shutdown.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

I really don't want to do this for what could be hundreds if not thousands of tracks as this library has probably been merged a few times with itself.

I've never used a 3rd party, but if they're duplicates because of something like that, you should be able to sort them by "date added" and get rid of the duplicates created the second or third time they were created.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

lord funk posted:

What?

Saw this one on reddit and laughed a bit, then hated myself afterward:

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

I like how people talk about the "end of OS X" as if it actually means anything. Do you think the next one's going to be completely different or something? They'll just call it "Mac OS IIe" and it'll mostly be the same thing.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.
Yes because OS X was mostly just like OS 9.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
Would they really have the balls to release something radically different? Last time somebody tried that (Vista) it got destroyed.

People hate change. Just look at the extremely minor changes that Facebook makes.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Accipiter posted:

Yes because OS X was mostly just like OS 9.

The OS 9 to OS X switch was a unique situation. The classic Mac OS was untenable as a next-generation operating system, aesthetically and technically, enough so that it basically required making a completely new OS from the NeXTSTEP core. The next generation of Mac OS is not going to require such a drastic retooling.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008
So I'm having a really bizarre issue with my computer. It seems that for some reason input from either the keyboard or mouse is being ignored.

For example with my external Das Keyboard (attached via USB), about every 20th keystroke is ignored. This issue doesn't happen with the built-in keyboard.

But for the mouse, I will be moving about the screen, and the pointer will inexplicably stop moving or move erratically. This problem exists for both the built-in trackpad or my bluetooth Magic Mouse

Is there any sort of monitoring that I could do to see what the problem is? I feel like this is a software problem because it affects multiple devices, but if I need to head over to the hardware thread I can do so.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

On another note, spellcheck on my system is going batty:

Yesterday it wasn't working at all. Logging out fixes it, but since I've been having repeat issues it might be worth looking into. So, anyone seen this before?

Edit - Apparently this one was just a browser bug. I'm sure that spellcheck was globally not working yesterday though.

Cyne fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Oct 11, 2011

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!

Binary Badger posted:

Also not so bad when shutting down my 11.6 inch MBA 2010 running 10.7.1 because of SSD performance. I never wait more than 10 secs. or so before I can close my lid. Also I spergily quit my apps before shutdown.

Out of curiosity, why do you shut it down in the first place? Why don't you just close the lid (thus putting it to sleep) and go?

I don't think I've deliberately turned a computer all the way off since 2003.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Would they really have the balls to release something radically different? Last time somebody tried that (Vista) it got destroyed.

People hate change. Just look at the extremely minor changes that Facebook makes.

Vista didn't do badly because it was radically different, as much as it was simply in an immature state for its first few years and important third parties like nVidia dropped the ball severely on compatibility.

SupahCoolX
Jul 2, 2005

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Why did the top-selling iPod Mini have to be discarded in favor of the iPod Nano? Why did the iMac have to be a translucent blue egg?

If anyone, Apple is often the best at scrapping the old and running headfirst into the future (even if people think it's too soon, or they didn't anticipate what the future might be). Sure, OSX is great, mature, and stable. But who's to say they're not currently working on the next big thing?

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Did the option to always confine a certain app to a space disappear in lion? I'd love it if my full screen instance of VMware fusion stayed to the second space instead of covering up my osx workspace every time I launch windows...

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

SupahCoolX posted:

Why did the top-selling iPod Mini have to be discarded in favor of the iPod Nano? Why did the iMac have to be a translucent blue egg?

If anyone, Apple is often the best at scrapping the old and running headfirst into the future (even if people think it's too soon, or they didn't anticipate what the future might be). Sure, OSX is great, mature, and stable. But who's to say they're not currently working on the next big thing?
They already did with iOS. Not to say that the Mac won't go through major changes but I suspect it'll be the gradual kind they've been doing rather than a full revamp.

My PIN is 4826 posted:

Did the option to always confine a certain app to a space disappear in lion? I'd love it if my full screen instance of VMware fusion stayed to the second space instead of covering up my osx workspace every time I launch windows...
Try this: bring up dock icon's menu (click hold or right/ctrl click) -> Options -> (Assign To) This Desktop.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cyne posted:

The OS 9 to OS X switch was a unique situation. The classic Mac OS was untenable as a next-generation operating system, aesthetically and technically, enough so that it basically required making a completely new OS from the NeXTSTEP core. The next generation of Mac OS is not going to require such a drastic retooling.

Yeah, probably the most drastic change is going to be a new file system, which apparently is rather needed.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

My PIN is 4826 posted:

If you have more than one desktop, you can right-click an application's Dock icon, and go Options > Assign To... to keep it attached to a particular desktop.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

computer parts posted:

Yeah, probably the most drastic change is going to be a new file system, which apparently is rather needed.
They keep having this love affair with ZFS, but apparently broke it off. I really wish they'd just finalize it and be done with it. ZFS does everything they want and more, and would be like adding a zillion new features to the OS with a minimum amount of engineering.

It's quite strange that they keep pushing forward in some areas, and then things like HFS+ are still sitting in the background, already past it's prime.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

unruly posted:

They keep having this love affair with ZFS, but apparently broke it off. I really wish they'd just finalize it and be done with it. ZFS does everything they want and more, and would be like adding a zillion new features to the OS with a minimum amount of engineering.

It's quite strange that they keep pushing forward in some areas, and then things like HFS+ are still sitting in the background, already past it's prime.

I imagine Sun getting bought by Oracle created all sorts of problems with that.

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself

wdarkk posted:

I imagine Sun getting bought by Oracle created all sorts of problems with that.

From what I gather, if Apple were to implement ZFS into the next version of OS X, Oracle could decide to start charging whatever licensing fees they want. Right?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Grayham posted:

From what I gather, if Apple were to implement ZFS into the next version of OS X, Oracle could decide to start charging whatever licensing fees they want. Right?

They might not charge Apple all that much, as Larry Ellison was best buds with Steve; now that he's dead he might let ZFS be licensed for a song.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

:siren: Hey, iTunes 10.5 is out! :siren:

Get it here: http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

AppleInsider says:

AppleInsider posted:

Apple on Tuesday released iTunes 10.5 for both Mac and PC, bringing with it support for wirelessly syncing with iOS 5 devices, as well as the new iTunes Match service.

iTunes 10.5 is now available as a direct download from Apple. The company noted in the release notes that iTunes 10.5 no longer requires or includes QuickTime.

The full list of features, according to Apple, includes:

iTunes in the Cloud. iTunes now stores your music and TV purchases in iCloud and makes them available on your devices anywhere, any time, at no additional cost.

Automatic Downloads. Purchase music from any device or computer and automatically download a copy to your PC and iOS devices.

Download Previous Purchases. Download your past music, TV, app, and book purchases again, at no additional cost. Previous purchases may be unavailable if they are no longer on the iTunes Store.

Sync with your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iOS 5.

Wi-Fi Syncing. Automatically sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iTunes any time they're both on the same Wi-Fi network.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 11, 2011

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

It's in Software Update, as well.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Binary Badger posted:

They might not charge Apple all that much, as Larry Ellison was best buds with Steve; now that he's dead he might let ZFS be licensed for a song.
At this point, if they had to pay through the nose, the reward would be huge for them. ZFS would bring MacOS into the modern filesystem era and basically make all the hacked in junk that they're doing now with HFS+ (versioning, etc) a breeze.

poo poo, they've already done a lot of work, and it continues today, just not at Apple Inc. (or so we are lead to believe).

I guess the major problem would be providing graphical tools to manage all the advanced stuff, like pools, etc.

:sigh:

quazi
Apr 19, 2002

data control

Binary Badger posted:

:siren: Hey, iTunes 10.5 is out! :siren:

Get it here: http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/
Holy crap, it finally works under Windows 7!

(Maybe yours worked, but mine always froze when I plugged in my phone.)

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
I'm looking for something that will let me mix multiple audio inputs in a unified interface and output to another audio output. Really all I have to do is monitor levels and adjust them on the fly. Doesn't need to record or anything else.

Everything I search for I come up with DJ MIX TWO MP3S AND BEAT MATCH and I just don't know what I'm really searching for.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Anyone know how to change the font/formatting in Outlook 2011? I copied and pasted my size 14 signature into it and somehow it is now massive.

Edit: Ignore this, I didn't read up properly.

NerdPolice
Jun 18, 2005

GINYU FORCE RULES
I did a fresh install of Lion on my Late 2009 13" MBP and have been getting pinwheeling and hard locks every so often. Anyone take a bat at what it could be? TOP doesn't reveal anything hogging too much of a particular resource but I never had this issue with Snow Leopard. Hardware vs Software anyone have an idea where to start looking?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

I'm looking for something that will let me mix multiple audio inputs in a unified interface and output to another audio output. Really all I have to do is monitor levels and adjust them on the fly. Doesn't need to record or anything else.

Everything I search for I come up with DJ MIX TWO MP3S AND BEAT MATCH and I just don't know what I'm really searching for.

Why do you need a computer for this, why not just buy a sound board, no computer needed? What about something like this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/615692-REG/Peavey_03513300_PV6_USB_Live.html

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
I hope this is the right place to post this.

But is there any sort of fix or way to enable UPNP for Mac MSN?

The transfer speeds are awfully slow..

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

frogbs posted:

Why do you need a computer for this, why not just buy a sound board, no computer needed? What about something like this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/615692-REG/Peavey_03513300_PV6_USB_Live.html

Some of my inputs are not actual physical inputs but virtual devices that are outputs from applications.

Either way, I figured out that Ardour does exactly what I need.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

10.7.2 is in Software Update now.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

carry on then posted:

10.7.2 is in Software Update now.
Can someone tell me what the build number is once they get it installed?

edit: Photo Stream-compatible Aperture is in Software Update as well.

edit 2: MacRumors says it's 11C74, which is actually newer than the GM 10.7.2 release (11C73).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Also, a link to a combo or delta update would be fantastic if anyone has one.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Also, a link to a combo or delta update would be fantastic if anyone has one.
Not seeing it on Apple's site yet, and the Mac Dev center is down.

edit: Dev Center just came back up, but still with 11C73.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I just learned that iCloud won't be synching my keychain like MobileMe did. Should I just bite the bullet and get 1Password then? This was a feature that I really liked and kind of relied upon.