Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I will beat all of you fuckers on the track

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I can't believe I slept on this release. I was at the store at midnight for the launch of Forza3. My 360 has been RRoD'd for some time now but I think this will finally push me to get a new one.

Can't wait. :) Any good photos of the new cockpits? Is the problem with the gauges being completely blocked by the steering wheel or completely wrong (diesel tach in the VR6 Jetta, I'm looking at you) gone? I do all my racing in cockpit mode so those little niggling things bother me.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Q_res posted:

ok, am I missing something, how do you access the Clarkson voice overs in Autovista?

Also, need some more goon friends for Rivals mode. GT: Qres

There will be an element of interest somewhere on the front of the car. It'll have a Gear with an 'i' in it as a logo.

pvax
Aug 6, 2001

Now that a few minutes have passed and hopefully the drama with it ... who do I need to talk to to get an invite into this here car club? GT is pvax for the wonderful person with the POWER.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Installing Disc 2 now. It's going pretty fast.

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

They made it so you can't really cheat the Corkscrew at Laguna Seca anymore. Not sure how I feel about this.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Symphoric posted:

They made it so you can't really cheat the Corkscrew at Laguna Seca anymore. Not sure how I feel about this.

What did they do?

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day

Linux Nazi posted:

As a huge Gran Turismo fan, would this game be worth picking up? I've not really been following this game and I'm curious to know what gameplay similarities it shares with GT5. Is FM4 more arcade-oriented? Is it a pseudo-simulator like the GT series? How are the controls similar? If somebody has an article that goes into it I would love to read it.

It looks pretty great, but I've never played FM3 even, as it seemed to be oriented towards people wanting to drive $500,000+ supercars around racetracks rather than souping up a '94 Acura and driving it through a circuit that only allows 90s japanese autos.

Once again, the Endangered Species trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeUr7ckS44Q

Check out the developer diaries in the OP for extreme detail on physics and etc.

Forza has upped the simulation of the handling dramatically, including much better tire simulation this time around- a big complaint with F3, and proof the devs care. They've also included more options to turn off the assists especially in steering to give you more control over handling, so that you can better feel every little true-to-life flaw in every car's handling. This includes improvements in turning speed and wheel-to-wheel lock that enormously help gamers using controllers instead of wheels.

Forza does have an overreliance on supercars. However, Forza 4 specifically addressed this by giving you more chances in the World Tour mode to race the car styles and classes that you want, usually offering multiple choices per event. You can also join an online car club to race only one specific model with like-minded people, if you choose. There are still too many hypercars compared to old fun beaters, you will end up doing a lot of racing you aren't comfortable with to 100% the game, but hey they have an auto-driver mode right? Also, there's a downloadable muscle-car pack on day one to give you more old rides.

I'd prefer more simulation and more old cars too, but this is about as close to automotive heaven as we've come. I drove hundreds of hours on GT1-4, but as of Forza 3 / GT5, I could barely care less about the future of GT. GT has too many clones of skylines, they're still cheating the graphics in lame ways, etc etc. Forza does a little less in some aspects (lower car selection, historically less impressive views), but does it much better (more unique cars, all cars fully detailed, those vistas generally include much more 3d geometry instead of sprites and photos).

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

azflyboy posted:

At least they're not saying it's never showing up.

I've heard stories of deepdiscount taking pre orders, then waiting weeks after the release to decide to ship them or just tell customers "nope, we don't have any".
Well it was kind of that, this is what they said

DeepDiscount FB posted:

Not yet, I am checking to see if it is coming in today. I will follow up with you later.
And this was at around 10am or so, I have a feeling they won't get any and I'm going to have to cancel the damned order. Which is a shame because they used to be an awesome company to order movies from.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Sprat Sandwich posted:

What did they do?
You come to a quick stop. As with a lot of grass areas that people used to cut.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"

Wolfy posted:

You come to a quick stop. As with a lot of grass areas that people used to cut.

And by "cut" you mean trying to jump the whole loving thing.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Holy poo poo, the tire modeling is amazing. Upgrades seem to have a muuuuuch more noticeable difference than in F3. Also I'm glad to see that pre-race revving is possible with manual+clutch. I'm loving this game so far; everything seems optimized to make the entire experience more fun.

e: best part about the game is that AI gets upgraded to match you in world tour. No more tuning a car to be competitive only to out-class 80% of the other drivers! There's actually a complete grid of road-worthy cars in each race this time

Teeter fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 11, 2011

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day

burtonos posted:

And by "cut" you mean trying to jump the whole loving thing.

One interesting side effect of some of the magic rubberbanding areas was that if, instead of just cheating a little, you really ramped over a whole area and hit the slowdown as hard as possible then you could angle it so that the slowdown actually set you up for the next corner. I'm not sure if that's applicable to Laguna, but the general idea probably applies.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Good about pre race reving is even without clutch it's still there for the full 3 seconds online.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

loving 'eh Best Buy!

Went down to get my LCE. Stood in the pre-order line gave the dude my receipt, he looks around "oh, they didn't bring them up here. Just grab one from the shelf in the game section."

Grab one from the shelf!

I walk my rear end over there and they have 3 LCEs on the shelf. Bring it back over and he rings me up blah blah. "Pre-order code is on the receipt, right?" "Yeah." he says. Walking out the store half-way to my car looking at the receipt and I don't see a code. Stand back in line and the other person there tells me "to go to the game section." So I go to the game section, stand around for a few minutes while neckbeards do neckbeardy things in the game section until the guy that confirmed that my pre-order was there and they had "just enough" to fulfill pre-orders on the weekend came over and got me setup after a few minutes of dicking around on his computer.

The whole thing was just lame as poo poo and took up way too much of my lunch break. Started the xbox live update while I ate a quick lunch then ran out of the house and I'm back at work now. 3-1/2 more hours.

Anyway. I'm done being overly emo and spergy over a video game... For now.

Minimaul fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 11, 2011

Bodacious Bagel
Jul 28, 2010
Alright so I got the game last night at midnight at Walmart, played for a few hours and I love it already. I've been a diehard fan of Forza since the beginning, and consider myself to be an above average racer (all assists off, clutch, etc.). The reason I'm saying this is because I SO BADLY want to buy a Fanatec wheel so I can become even better and enjoy the game more. However, the $500 total for the wheel+pedals+shifter is the only thing holding me back. For those of you that have the Fanatec setup, is it worth it? If it makes any difference I put roughly 100+ hours into Forza 3, so I should be playing F4 for a long long time as well.

tl;dr: Should I spend $500 on a Fanatec wheel, pedals and shifter?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Just picked up my reserved copy at Game Stop. Unfortunately I have to leave for class and won't be home for 4 hours, but I'll try and squeeze some game time in before I fall asleep.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

I also walked into Best Buy without a pre-order, walked out with the pre-order bonus and a copy of the Collector's Edition. Don't despair if you're still hunting for a limited edition.

Pre-ordering is for shitlords. :smugdog:

Colt Cannon
Aug 11, 2000

I want in the goon car club. GT:isuckatcodblops.

Coming for the drama staying for the piss yellow King Cobra tuned down to 60 HP.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Bodacious Bagel posted:

Alright so I got the game last night at midnight at Walmart, played for a few hours and I love it already. I've been a diehard fan of Forza since the beginning, and consider myself to be an above average racer (all assists off, clutch, etc.). The reason I'm saying this is because I SO BADLY want to buy a Fanatec wheel so I can become even better and enjoy the game more. However, the $500 total for the wheel+pedals+shifter is the only thing holding me back. For those of you that have the Fanatec setup, is it worth it? If it makes any difference I put roughly 100+ hours into Forza 3, so I should be playing F4 for a long long time as well.

Yes.

FM3 was good with the Fanatec wheel, but FM4 is leagues ahead of even that. You get so much valuable feedback from the tires with the FFB that you'll be smooth as silk with some practice.

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
Everyone do themselves a favor and play the Top Gear Nurburgring rivals challenge.

Holy poo poo that was nuts.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Bodacious Bagel posted:

Yes. My enjoyment went up immensly when I switched from the old MS wheel. 5 dollars per hour of entertainment isn't that bad, really, and your play time is likely to go up with a new wheel and all the rivals mode awesomeness.

redhalo
May 19, 2009

Any chance on an invite to GTCC? Or do I have to wait for a less exclusive club? GT: robert mccoy

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

So it seems every single 4 letter combination for club acronyms is already taken!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Day Man posted:

Yes. My enjoyment went up immensly when I switched from the old MS wheel. 5 dollars per hour of entertainment isn't that bad, really, and your play time is likely to go up with a new wheel and all the rivals mode awesomeness.

Don't tell me this. :( How is the fanatec better than the MS wheel?

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
I went ahead and sent an invitation to the club "GOON" so if anyone here is running that my GT is Aww Jeah.

Also anyone else who wants a nooby Forza friend should go ahead and add me too!

AwwJeah fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Oct 11, 2011

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

Just raced Infineon for the first time. Really liking that course. I love the the altitude changes.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Residency Evil posted:

Don't tell me this. :( How is the fanatec better than the MS wheel?

The steering is smoother, the force feedback is way stronger and feels more nuanced, and the clubsport pedals with clutch are a GIGANTIC improvement. Takes a bit to get used to the pressure sensitive brake, but my braking consistency is way better now.

Edit: and the 900 degree steering allows for more minute adjustments which helps a lot on straights and ovals.

Day Man fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 11, 2011

Bodacious Bagel
Jul 28, 2010
Thanks guys, I think I might go for it. I'll be getting the Forza CSR Wheel, CSR Elite Pedals, and I'm not too sure about the shifter. Does the standard Porsche one work fine with any wheel? I'm assuming it does. Hopefully. Also, do I absolutely need a shifter, or can I just use the paddle shifters for now? Would the paddle shifters also work with a clutch? :confused: Sorry I'm asking so many noob questions.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

AwwJeah posted:

Everyone do themselves a favor and play the Top Gear Nurburgring rivals challenge.

Holy poo poo that was nuts.

Haven't got there yet, but I just did the Fujimi challenge with traffic on the road and that was a blast. That'll be a great one to run spec cars on for rivals challenges.

e: I suppose it couldn't hurt to ask again, but I'd really like to get my hands on the preorder Subaru if anybody has a spare code. I can trade for the Alpha Romeo Guilietta if anybody wants that but otherwise if somebody who went through amazon just isn't interested or ended up with an extra code through all this preorder nonsense then I'd love to get it.

Teeter fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 11, 2011

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Lovin this game.

pvax
Aug 6, 2001

All of this Fanatec talk is dangerous. I know if I ever got to sit and try one I wouldn't be able to resist. Trying to stay as Ignorant as possible while I tell myself my MS Wheel is AWESOME.

God - longest day of work ever.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Teeter posted:

Haven't got there yet, but I just did the Fujimi challenge with traffic on the road and that was a blast. That'll be a great one to run spec cars on for rivals challenges.

e: I suppose it couldn't hurt to ask again, but I'd really like to get my hands on the preorder Subaru if anybody has a spare code. I can trade for the Alpha Romeo Guilietta if anybody wants that but otherwise if somebody who went through amazon just isn't interested or ended up with an extra code through all this preorder nonsense then I'd love to get it.

Add ColdPie1 on XBL and I'll throw mine at you. Only condition is you never beat me at rivals mode :P

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Has anyone made a goon club yet? If so what is the club tag?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Has anyone else noticed any unexpected cars? I had a race on Infineon earlier and saw a 2008-style Mustang GT500. I thought they had taken it out of the game, possible Unicorn?

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Q_res posted:

Has anyone else noticed any unexpected cars? I had a race on Infineon earlier and saw a 2008-style Mustang GT500. I thought they had taken it out of the game, possible Unicorn?
You can buy it whenever you want.

e:oh yeah, that's the 2010

Wolfy fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 11, 2011

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!

Q_res posted:

The pre-facelift one is a unicorn, yeah. Heaven knows why considering it's inferior to the 2010 model in every way possible, but... eh.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

If I can get screenshots of the American Le Mans Race Cars, that would be grand. :3:

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Bodacious Bagel posted:

Thanks guys, I think I might go for it. I'll be getting the Forza CSR Wheel, CSR Elite Pedals, and I'm not too sure about the shifter. Does the standard Porsche one work fine with any wheel? I'm assuming it does. Hopefully. Also, do I absolutely need a shifter, or can I just use the paddle shifters for now? Would the paddle shifters also work with a clutch? :confused: Sorry I'm asking so many noob questions.

The paddle shifters will work with the clutch. The porsche shifter set will work with the new wheel, too. The csr shifter is supposed to feel much much better. The porsche one feels really mushy and like the plastic that it is. I'm considering upgrading, as it's definitely the weak point of my setup. I would highly recommend the rennsport stand as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
If anyone knows how to paint wheels solid white, I'm all ears. I can only get colors to show on wheel paint jobs.
An invite to a goon club would be great. GT is Xander I Crews .

• Locked thread