Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dongsweep
Nov 28, 2004

~ P * R * I * D * E ~

Guliani is HOT posted:

Whenever you feel like it. I killed it before I even killed the gargoyles, I definitely wasn't level 30.

Related question as I just killed butterfly - is there really nothing else to do after killing him in the Forest? At least in that section? I see another path when I get closer to the blacksmith again to go onto a large monster but otherwise, is that it? Is there a good summoning spot/fire by that large monster down the mountain? I'm a little hesitant to go attack him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I have some character leveling questions. I never looked at guide when I started this guy so his stats are a bit...scattered. I'm pretty high level, so leveling is few and far between. I'm trying to get my dex up a little to enhance using one-handers (and open up a lot of the spears for use.)

Level: 69
Vit: 18
Att: 10
End: 27
Str: 40
Dex: 21
Res: 11
Int: 10
Fai: 14

A little bit all over the place but its served me very well so far.

Elysiume posted:

Where do I get a lightning enchant?
I think someone said it scales off weapon damage, the one in your main hand.

Lightning requires Large Titanite Chunks I believe. After you get the weapon up to +10 as well.

Ichabod Tane fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 12, 2011

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
What is the purpose of this code I got back in May for solving the preparetodie.com glyph puzzle?

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

Filthy Monkey posted:

Lost Izalith related.
Man, now I feel really bad for letting my bro Solaire get headcrabbed :(. I just wanted his gear so I could play sunlight knight myself. Why can't he be nice and just give you a set once you turn in some medals? Next playthrough, I am totally saving his butt.

How do you even get there? I killed the scorpion thing that drops the lava resist ring, but I can't find where to go. It's the only place left I have to go to before I beat the game.

Also, where is the second pyromancer trainer? I can see on both wikis that there are more advanced spells you have to buy (not the covenant ones), but I've almost beaten the game and haven't even seen him.

Relin posted:

What is the purpose of this code I got back in May for solving the preparetodie.com glyph puzzle?

Wow, I completed forgot about that...

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
How do I get lightning enchanted weapons? My search is coming up dry. Do I get it to Raw, then Raw +5, and then I can get it Lightningy?
e: gently caress, I only have one Large Titanite Shard. Where can I farm these, other than the slugs? Those things are annoying.

Apparently the Butterfly is past the demon, under the blacksmith. How likely is it that I can make it there and back safely?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Elysiume posted:

How do I get lightning enchanted weapons? My search is coming up dry. Do I get it to Raw, then Raw +5, and then I can get it Lightningy?

Apparently the Butterfly is past the demon, under the blacksmith. How likely is it that I can make it there and back safely?

No no no, don't make it raw it'll gently caress up the process and waste precious materials. Be sure to go the standard +1 to +10 route with the weapon.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Stele007 posted:

How do you even get there?
There is a little passageway downward to the left side of the centipede demon's room.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Captain Seafart posted:

No no no, don't make it raw it'll gently caress up the process and waste precious materials. Be sure to go the standard +1 to +10 route with the weapon.
Oh poo poo, I misread the chart. Thanks!

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Just took down Gwyn, The Lord of Cinder and beat the game. Greatshield of Artorias and Dragonslayer Spear did a good job throughout the tail end of the game.

Captain Seafart posted:

I have some character leveling questions. I never looked at guide when I started this guy so his stats are a bit...scattered. I'm pretty high level, so leveling is few and far between. I'm trying to get my dex up a little to enhance using one-handers (and open up a lot of the spears for use.)

Level: 69
Vit: 18
Att: 10
End: 27
Str: 40
Dex: 21
Res: 11
Int: 10
Fai: 14

A little bit all over the place but its served me very well so far.

Getting up to 40 endurance would be a good goal, since more stamina/equip burden never hurts. Maybe a few points in attunement if you want to pack along some pyromancy.

(You want to pack along some pyromancy, unless you hate soul-level independent damage.)

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
Also remember that after 40 Vitality you stop gaining as much health if you go down this road.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Tricky posted:

Just took down Gwyn, The Lord of Cinder and beat the game. Greatshield of Artorias and Dragonslayer Spear did a good job throughout the tail end of the game.

Getting up to 40 endurance would be a good goal, since more stamina/equip burden never hurts. Maybe a few points in attunement if you want to pack along some pyromancy.

(You want to pack along some pyromancy, unless you hate soul-level independent damage.)

I'll look into pyromancy I've been null magic this whole game so far but I imagine supplementing myself would be a good idea. I'm going to get dex to 24 so I can wield silver knight weapons than trickle endurance up with my remaining levels.

Also, whomever I just phantomed and killed in Anor Londo, sorry bro. But than again shouldn't of been guilty!

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Revitalized posted:

I never get invaded and I never get summoned at my home connection. :(

I'll look into the Depths I guess.

You're playing in Alive form, right? You can't be invaded while hollowed.

Also, like Demon's Souls I imagine you can't be invaded if you've already beaten the boss of the area... Can someone correct me or is this right?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Spiffo posted:

Also, like Demon's Souls I imagine you can't be invaded if you've already beaten the boss of the area... Can someone correct me or is this right?

I just invaded someone in Anor Londo by the painting in the cathedral. I've beaten the area already --- but there is a caveat I'm a Blade of the Darkmoon and that might supersede some things.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

Captain Seafart posted:

You're heavy Str, so I'd recommend upgrading the Black Knight's Greataxe to +5. It requires twinkling titanite, but with high str you will be doing shittons of damage without much stamina. The Demon's Greataxe does more damage, but the Black Knight's Greataxe is much faster and easier to use, imo. I destroy everything with it, and I only have 10 more str than you. Pumping a bit more Str and Vit would help.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

Tricky posted:

How do you make the dragon slayer spear? Also it's stats don't look that great, though it does shoot lightning right? (but doesn't it also damage the weapon as you do that?). Would you mind elaborating a little bit?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tricky posted:

What was your final play time just out of curiosity?

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Tricky posted:

I used the Crystal Ring Shield and killed him in 4 hits. It's so broken.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Spiffo posted:

If you've gotten to the very bottom of Blighttown, with the poison swamp, there is. Don't even think about shortcuts until then.

- You'll reach the area with the torches and giants on the horizon.
- There will be an elevator that can take you up. From there, go up, up, UP as high as the ladders take you.
- When you reach the top you should find a chest with a key (confirm? it's been a while) and also a cave with some of those big club guys.
- Beat the big club guys and go through the cave. You'll be in the Valley Of The Drakes.
- As soon as you reach there, there will be a door right in front of you across a plank. Open the door and you'll suddenly be in the Ruins Of Londo.
- Head down the stairs and you will unlock a door, and find yourself at a familiar shore and pier. Right beside the door you unlocked will the the elevator back to firelink.

Wait, THAT'S the shortcut? I haven't gone through enough yet, but I have the Master Key and the New Londo key (I went in a little then fell off and died). Are you telling me the boss is at the bottom? I can skip the whole thing and come back later? I have zero humanity and like 1000 souls. I might as well look!

quote:

That's 5 covenants out of 9 that give you items that require faith.

The Gravelord miracle doesn't need faith to use, but it has a somewhat lengthy charge time and only two uses.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Oct 12, 2011

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
If you abandon the Darkstalkers will your Red Eye Orb still work?

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose
Picked up the hardcover guide by Futurepress at Gamestop and I'd like to reiterate just how great it is. I'm going to try not to rely on it too much when initially exploring things, but it's really good quality.

Managed to ring the second bell last night, with the help of a phantom who first invaded me and was easily killed, and then had a summon set up before the boss. They uh...weren't the greatest, which I should have assumed when they repeatedly tried to heavy smash me when I was like...30 feet away. Also they were basically nude. But they were a great help distracting the boss!

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

Phoix posted:

What main hand did you use (your weapon I mean)?

To Vex a Stranger
Mar 15, 2004
Rawr!
This game was fun until I got the Lordvessel and then beat the Demon Ruins. Now the catacombs can go suck a dick (boss was way too easy but gently caress all those goddamn skeletons that don't drop anything and don't do any damage and are a waste of time to kill) with it's incredibly confusing layout and lovely bonfire placement, not to mention the inability to see anywhere after that boss and giant skeletons knocking you off the edge.

And gently caress New Londo Ruins without bonfires anywhere near the boss. Glad I swapped rings when I finally got down there to be insta-gibbed. Then the second time couldn't hit the boss because I wasn't cursed, two poo poo deaths for no reason except the game became 300% more sadistic after doing everything else.

Why is it that everything up until here was fun? The Demon Ruins bosses were entertaining and at least made you think, New Lando's is just like "nuh uh, see ya, come back in the fifteen minutes it takes you to get here :)!" It's not the enemies being difficult, I can deal with them, it's the bullshit bonfire placement. I can understand the bonfire in Anor Lando for Smough and Ornstein being where it was, because there was a shortcut and you only had to kill three or four decently simple enemies.

Anyone have any suggestions for the ruins boss/ways to keep my sanity in the catacombs while trying to find the path to the blacksmith?

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Spiffo posted:

Well of course.

Anyways, what's the pendant do?

And do I keep whatever benefits I've earned from a Covenant if I leave them?

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Nigulus Rex posted:

What main hand did you use (your weapon I mean)?

+5 Chaos Demon Machete.

bobby2times
Jan 9, 2010
Where oh where are the summon signs for Ornstein and Smough...Been waiting at the bonfire for like 30 min and not 1 popped up. "Need soldier"

To Vex a Stranger
Mar 15, 2004
Rawr!

bobby2times posted:

Where oh where are the summon signs for Ornstein and Smough...Been waiting at the bonfire for like 30 min and not 1 popped up.

What level are you? I was around 50 when I started them, if that means anything to your current level.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Nigulus Rex posted:

How do you make the dragon slayer spear? Also it's stats don't look that great, though it does shoot lightning right? (but doesn't it also damage the weapon as you do that?). Would you mind elaborating a little bit?

I ended up having a ton of str/dex/faith (being a phys-type going into the warriors of sunlight late game), so it was actually doing pretty good damage for me and it is the only scaling lightning weapon I know of. And it looks badass. The R2 attack does shoot a bolt of lightning, exactly like when you fight the bosses of Amor Londo, that drops durability, but I hardly used it. I hardly use R2 attacks anyway, no big deal.

To make it: kill Ornstein last, you'll get his soul. Mash it into a +10 spear...say the one you can get by recycling the lightning spear from sen's fortress.

NESguerilla posted:

What was your final play time just out of curiosity?

About 30 hours? Something along that. I spent a lot of time farming up different weapons and stuff early/mid game, but the late game went really fast once I had the gear I liked all settled. I know I skipped at least one optional boss and I used the chaos covenant shortcut to get into Lost Izalith

Phoix posted:

Hilariously enough, I actually had it as my secondary shield and totally forgot about it.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Can anyone hit me up with a good farming location for large Titanite shards and Titanite chunks?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
What do I do with things like the sunlight medal and copper coin?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
How do I get the item on the roof of the "church" in the firelink shrine?

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Do these dudes that I'm farming in the forest drop any stuff? I've mostly been making them plunge to their deaths (which never stops being funny to me for some reason) but I've actually fought them a few times and didn't get anything. Sometimes I don't even have to lure them away, there was an invisible guy using a bow who rolled himself backwards off of a cliff as I approached him for a cool 5,000 souls.

Stealthed Zombie posted:

Picked up the hardcover guide by Futurepress at Gamestop and I'd like to reiterate just how great it is. I'm going to try not to rely on it too much when initially exploring things, but it's really good quality.

Managed to ring the second bell last night, with the help of a phantom who first invaded me and was easily killed, and then had a summon set up before the boss. They uh...weren't the greatest, which I should have assumed when they repeatedly tried to heavy smash me when I was like...30 feet away. Also they were basically nude. But they were a great help distracting the boss!

This sounds like Maneater Mildred, who is an NPC and not another player. She is easily killed when she invades you but does a good job tanking the boss if you summon her.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Boba1213 posted:

This game was fun until I got the Lordvessel and then beat the Demon Ruins. Now the catacombs can go suck a dick (boss was way too easy but gently caress all those goddamn skeletons that don't drop anything and don't do any damage and are a waste of time to kill) with it's incredibly confusing layout and lovely bonfire placement, not to mention the inability to see anywhere after that boss and giant skeletons knocking you off the edge.

And gently caress New Londo Ruins without bonfires anywhere near the boss. Glad I swapped rings when I finally got down there to be insta-gibbed. Then the second time couldn't hit the boss because I wasn't cursed, two poo poo deaths for no reason except the game became 300% more sadistic after doing everything else.

Why is it that everything up until here was fun? The Demon Ruins bosses were entertaining and at least made you think, New Lando's is just like "nuh uh, see ya, come back in the fifteen minutes it takes you to get here :)!" It's not the enemies being difficult, I can deal with them, it's the bullshit bonfire placement. I can understand the bonfire in Anor Lando for Smough and Ornstein being where it was, because there was a shortcut and you only had to kill three or four decently simple enemies.

Anyone have any suggestions for the ruins boss/ways to keep my sanity in the catacombs while trying to find the path to the blacksmith?

You're going to love fighting Seath the Scaleless! :v:

I'm in the mid 60's with my tough shield/smashy weapon dude and I'm just not feeling it anymore, the game is steadily becoming more and more of a pain in the rear end without ranged attacks. Which is entirely my fault of course but bleaugh. Don't even think I'll bother completing the game, I'm just gonna roll up a pyromancer and start rocking some sorcery. Added objective: be human as much as possible, join darkstalkers. Still have seen zero PvP. :mad:

vvv there are only six more available in the game, if you want your pvp fix you're going to have to suck up to a covenant

Ixjuvin fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Oct 12, 2011

Litch991
Sep 14, 2005
Where can I get more cracked red eye stones or whatever is used to invade? Out of my 5 only one worked but that was so fun I want to try some more. Anyone know where to get them?

dongsweep
Nov 28, 2004

~ P * R * I * D * E ~
Any way to get a target on those spirits behind the 20k door? Makes it hard not being able to lock on, any tips?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Shumagorath posted:

How do I get the item on the roof of the "church" in the firelink shrine?

Edit: Nevermind, rolled right onto the column.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Elysiume posted:

Can anyone hit me up with a good farming location for large Titanite shards and Titanite chunks?

Go to the Painted World of Ariamis and on the bridge before the boss there is a dark knight that will drop a titanite something every time.

Abundance of Gokus
Jan 8, 2009

Sailor Scout Encounter 5: Mercury Aqua Rhapsody

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Do these dudes that I'm farming in the forest drop any stuff? I've mostly been making them plunge to their deaths (which never stops being funny to me for some reason) but I've actually fought them a few times and didn't get anything. Sometimes I don't even have to lure them away, there was an invisible guy using a bow who rolled himself backwards off of a cliff as I approached him for a cool 5,000 souls.

The guy with the bow has a chance to drop a very high power bow (basically a longbow with S Dex scaling) and a pretty cool hat. I, uh, don't think he respawns.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

dongsweep posted:

Related question as I just killed butterfly - is there really nothing else to do after killing him in the Forest? At least in that section? I see another path when I get closer to the blacksmith again to go onto a large monster but otherwise, is that it? Is there a good summoning spot/fire by that large monster down the mountain? I'm a little hesitant to go attack him.

There's plenty of stuff to do, although if you're still pretty early in the game (like before ringing the second bell) I'd go progress the story some more. You can go behind the door that the blacksmith sells you the key to, you can kill the Hydra and the Wolf, both of which are fairly hard. Also, I think the Butterfly drops the key that allows you to unlock the tower that Havel's in, which is near the Hydra. You can kill him (alot of people have tons of trouble with him cause he'll one-shot you but if you can dodge him then you'll do fine) and get his ring

Elysiume posted:

I managed to kill him before going into the Garden. If you don't want to you can run around him, just watch out because he will leap at you.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Captain Seafart posted:

Go to the Painted World of Ariamis and on the bridge before the boss there is a dark knight that will drop a titanite something every time.
That sounds scary and far away. I've just beaten the Gaping Dragon (well I beat him a while ago, then beat him like 6 more times, and now I've stupidly gotten myself out of assist range), and have Blighttown and the Forest as my exploration options. Anything around there that's good for Titanite?

Oh man things leaping at me is super bad. Think a level 30 thief with a +6 claymore, +1 Astora's Straight Sword, +5 Hollow Shield, and +3 thief garb with a +5 hard leather tunic could beat him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Cox
Nov 3, 2006

College Slice

Captain Seafart posted:

There's the same knight on a tower in Sen's Fortress, the same tower as the guy who throws rocks (don't go up the stairs to the skinny bridges [the ones that lead to the merchant], keep going straight and around). It's really close to the bonfire so it's pretty easy farming.

• Locked thread