Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Autocross rivals is super fun. Y'all should play more rivals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
My copy should be here tomorrow. Who is going to run the UK group? I'll volunteer mainly because I'll be putting so much time into the drat game that I'll always be around to ensure people get in.

Ghetto Blaster
Jul 25, 2006

Falken posted:

My copy should be here tomorrow. Who is going to run the UK group? I'll volunteer mainly because I'll be putting so much time into the drat game that I'll always be around to ensure people get in.

How are you getting it a day early?

GarethIW
Feb 25, 2003

The internet destroyed me, but I forgave it
I just got my Gameplay.co.uk dispatch email. Not ordered from them for ages, but they used to get games to me for Thursday. Fingers crossed!

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Same reason as FatboYgw, gameplay. They usually deliver 1 or 2 days ahead of release.

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!
So I just unlocked the 1931 Bentley in Autovista, and... wow. Literally every system on this thing has to be more or less manually adjusted, and it has more gauges than a Cessna. Apparently just starting it is a three-step process.

But damned if that mile-long straight six doesn't sound amazing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Head tracking verdict: awesome.

At first it seemed like a cheap gimmick, but after a few hours I completely forgot the kinect was there, tracking my every movement. I was naturally turning my head a little to look in the mirrors, and it "just worked." Is pretty nice to have a feature that does its job well enough you forget it's there.

Not sure it's worth the price of a kinect for this one game, but hopefully more games start doing this.

It does spaz out when I scratch my nose or my wife walks behind me, but that's about it.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Can you use the kinect to look to your direct left or right to ensure you don't smash into someone when overtaking?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I couldn't get it to work right because my couch is too far away. I don't really feel like sitting on my coffee table to get it working :/

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Can you really not just rev a car in Autovista?

...really?

PirateNipple
Apr 5, 2004

gently caress cones

I'm going to have to figure out where videos end up after they upload, I figured there'd be a sopt on your "my forza" page where pictures go but nope. Maybe I messed up somewhere.

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day

Doctor Butts posted:

I couldn't get it to work right because my couch is too far away. I don't really feel like sitting on my coffee table to get it working :/

Welp, time to build a coffee-table based driver pod.

Ziploc posted:

Can you really not just rev a car in Autovista?

...really?

Nor can you shove your face under the hood while it's running.

SuprAllmanBros2
Dec 31, 2006

pleasant
I decided to get the Falcon XB as a gift car... title unlocked, "Last of the v8's" :smugdog:. I got super excited over all the BMW love, but I bought a Mustang Mach 1 and have been over stimulating myself with muscle cars. Just bought a 635csi, but I have yet to really do much with it (v10 swap... oh man). I'm working on recreating my drift GNX from F3. Need to get my Buick affinity up so I can have it spit flames. Need make a vinyl of the gn turbo logo and a few other things but when I'm finished I'd be happy to share if any of you would be interested.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Any tips, other than practice, for driving with a controller using a clutch? I can drive in manual pretty well, but my breaking isn't nearly as smooth when I'm trying to use a clutch as well. I've turned the clutch off for now, but I was wondering if anyone had any hints.

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.
Man, this car credit system is going to be a huge money-maker. You can purchase a credit with MS points that will let you buy cars. You don't even have to use in-game credits anymore.

I kind of liked in Forza 3 that credits were scarce for the first few hours of play. You really had to decide if you wanted to buy a bit more horsepower or better tires. Now I'm level 12, and I have 250k credits, and not much reason to use them. I do like the new affinity system, but it seems like you get to the free parts bonus way too fast.

Does anyone know how high affinity levels go? I'm up to 6 on a couple and keep getting extra credits through that, but will I eventually get other bonuses like cars?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

mangler103 posted:

Does anyone know how high affinity levels go? I'm up to 6 on a couple and keep getting extra credits through that, but will I eventually get other bonuses like cars?

Up to 50 for some drat reason. Although, after 4 all upgrades are free soo...

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

mangler103 posted:

Man, this car credit system is going to be a huge money-maker. You can purchase a credit with MS points that will let you buy cars. You don't even have to use in-game credits anymore.

I kind of liked in Forza 3 that credits were scarce for the first few hours of play. You really had to decide if you wanted to buy a bit more horsepower or better tires. Now I'm level 12, and I have 250k credits, and not much reason to use them. I do like the new affinity system, but it seems like you get to the free parts bonus way too fast.

It goes to 50 for each manufacturer, and you get credits. I don't think you get any cars. I love that the upgrades are free so quickly. Lets me feel a lot more comfortable experimenting. Making cars for GTCC races will be a ton easier now.

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!

mangler103 posted:

There's honestly no reason to buy car tokens with real money considering the game will start flinging credits at you like a broken ATM once you start building affinity levels. Not unless you're just too impatient to wait a bit before you can have that SLS or McLaren.

quote:

Shift 2 was the same way after a while, because you never really lost money in that game since every car and upgrade was sold back for 100% of its value.

I think it's more Turn 10 realizing that most people just want to build cars to race online with, and disliked having to grind for cash in repetitive single player races to do that. You still have to sink a little bit of money for certain things, but it's no longer a requirement to farm speedway races for an hour just to build some silly gimmick car that you may only use once or twice.

I imagine once the storefront starts getting populated with good liveries and vinyls, then credits will be a bit more free-flowing.

quote:

Manufacturer affinity goes up to 50, but after level 4 it's just credit bonuses that increase almost exponentially after a while. I guess you can think of it as being like a factory sponsorship.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Falken posted:

Can you use the kinect to look to your direct left or right to ensure you don't smash into someone when overtaking?

Unfortunately no. The angles it allows is really only enough to see the side view mirrors. But it hasn't bothered me because I don't look perpendicular to my car when driving in the real world (only exception would be checking blind spots when changing lanes).

Secondly, the side mirrors have a big enough FOV that you can tell where the guy next to you is. Because they're effectively TV screens stuck to the side of your car rather than true mirrors, Turn 10 rigged them with a bigger angle to improve the ability to gauge where someone is.

I also think it's the responsibility of the guy in the back to avoid collisions during overtakes. Yes there's such a thing as a reckless pass, but the rule of thumb is once someone is going tire to tire with you, you gotta respect their presence and allow room.

(this assumes the guy making the pass isn't doing it with locked brakes about 5 feet away from a hairpin)

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

Internet Victory posted:

That's so bullshit that those BBS wheels are in the game on that car but they're not an option as a wheel to put on other cars!

Those are the stock wheels.

Mr. Pither
May 28, 2006

Hello, friends!
I still think the Ferrari F430 Scuderia is the best sounding car in this game. I couldn't find it in the free play mode though. Is it only available if you imported it from Forza 3?

I'm still in the newbie FWD hatchback races right now, but I'd forgotten how easily some of those cars brake. Even with ABS off you can stop right at the turn and it won't be a big deal because they're so light. As much as I like how the larger coupes and sedans look, I always feel like the lightest cars drive the best.

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.
Come on guys, post some photos. It's a couple more days till I can play this here in :britain: and I want to see some awesome photos.

Speaking of photos..has photo mode changed much?

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Few questions from a Forza freshman. I played a lot of GT5, but am enjoying this MUCH more.

1) Can you be in more than on club? I am in a club with some other real life friends, but also would like in on the LLJK action.

2) I play with ABS off, steering normal, Stability and Traction off, but still doing automatic. I tried playing for about 2 hours last night on manual and am having a hell of a time. I am not really sure when to shift up and when to shift down. Total newb question, but can anyone offer advice on when I want to be shifting? Do I want to shift down going uphill and shift up on downhills? Not really sure when to shift down when cornering as well. I have never driven manual in real life, so I have a lot of mental disconnect here.

3) When buying upgrades does it tend to be "the right most upgrade is the best"? I assume I can upgrade my car in a way that it will run like poo poo without going into the tuning menu, but I will worry about that when I get there.

I convinced my wife to give it a try last night and we ended up playing for 2.5 hours on split screen. She was up to most of the assists off by the end (not doing well) but said she would probably be playing when I wasn't. This has never happened outside of Rock Band and Dance Central. Good job Turn 10.

Asnorban fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 12, 2011

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!
Awwww, dammit. I just realized that no Dodge stock car means no Dodge stock car engine to drop into my Jeep Cherokee. Now I have to come up with a completely different stupid idea!

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Want quick money and experience while having a blast. Buy a Saab 99 turbo, put the displacement in it to get it up to F199 and go do the F world tour. You will dominate, but the car is so much fun to drive.

BTW, that screen of the Mustang VS pack of Veyrons is my new desktop Background. That was fun as hell. I am not sure, but that might be me flipping the Veyron in the background. Every drat corner, lol.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Mr. Pither posted:

I still think the Ferrari F430 Scuderia is the best sounding car in this game. I couldn't find it in the free play mode though. Is it only available if you imported it from Forza 3?

I think it's a unicorn now. And you could have gotten it easy by importing.

Woops!

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Shift up when you hit the redline, generally you shift down to try and keep the revs high if you have to slow down, like braking before a corner.

The "dueling" races on Fujimi Kaido with traffic is the most fun poo poo ever. Holy gently caress.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Brainwrong posted:

Come on guys, post some photos. It's a couple more days till I can play this here in :britain: and I want to see some awesome photos.

Speaking of photos..has photo mode changed much?

Not mine but

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!

Ziploc posted:

I think it's a unicorn now. And you could have gotten it easy by importing.

Woops!

There's a couple in the LLJK club garage that can be used, along with most of the other unicorn cars. So it's not quite the end of the world!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

BlazeKinser posted:

Awwww, dammit. I just realized that no Dodge stock car means no Dodge stock car engine to drop into my Jeep Cherokee. Now I have to come up with a completely different stupid idea!

Viper v10 should still be there >.>

Also, i hate that leveling up main brands doesn't affect sub-brands. if you want free parts for Oldsmobile, you have to level up Oldsmobile, leveling up chevy doesn't do poo poo.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

I think I sent a request to the club. My GT is jonw39, I need forza friends too.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Brainwrong posted:

No photos yet but you can watch my terrible driving:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siOInV01Q0A
3 person Supercar, the 2nd to last corner decides the race.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYbvsdCKZfI
My reasonably priced car lap, gotten it down to 1:47.460. I will never catch Minimaul or Wanderer though.

The photos are taking a long time to get to the website...or I have no idea where to find them on the website.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Powershift posted:

Viper v10 should still be there >.>

Also, i hate that leveling up main brands doesn't affect sub-brands. if you want free parts for Oldsmobile, you have to level up Oldsmobile, leveling up chevy doesn't do poo poo.

If that's your only complaint, I think they've done a pretty solid job with the game.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

I swear I had Forza ADD last night and couldn't figure out what to do. Now that the initial rush and excitement has subsided (a bit) I can settle into the game more. I was trying to do a little bit of everything last night.

I did some autocrossing, did some rivals as well. The Lancia Track Day on Almalfi was awesome. I've been trying to stick to the lower class cars and will slowly upgrade as I progress.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
None of you believed just how bad I am until I caused an 8 car pileup on NASCAR and lost by 6 miles. Soccer was awesome, stacking behind a hummer to push the other team is the best. Still really want to try it with koenigseggs and all assists off though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

jadebullet posted:

Want quick money and experience while having a blast. Buy a Saab 99 turbo, put the displacement in it to get it up to F199 and go do the F world tour. You will dominate, but the car is so much fun to drive.

Or just dive into multiplayer and drive a single manufacturer. I don't think I got less than 10,000 credits for a single race in three hours of online racing. I finished everywhere from 1st to 12th.

The affinity bonuses start at 15,000 credits for level 5, and go up by 10,000 every level. You'll get a level almost every single race for the first few before it drops to about 2 races per level. It probably gets slower later on, but I'm not at that point yet.

Gave me a wallet with 400,000 credits for an evening of play, without grinding for money. I was just having fun.

Also don't be afraid to auction off reward cars.. people are actually buying them for some idiot reason. I default to 10,000 credits and they sell in a few minutes.

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!
So you can upgrade the electric motor and batteries in the hybrid cars... and doing that in the Chevy Volt just gave it an extra 30 horsepower and about 60 more torques. :staredog:

I do believe I've just found my replacement stupid idea. Let's max out this bitch!

E: Holy poo poo and it has a CVT in it, this is gonna get interesting in a hurry...

BlazeKinser fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 12, 2011

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9ZAhHDv2Oc&ob=av3e

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Wow so you can buy unicorns on the auction house now. SCUDERIA HERE I COME.

Also it appears that GT500 was a 2007.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
For anyone who had pre-ordered the LCE from DeepDiscount, looks like you're SOL if they didn't already ship.

I'd emailed them yesterday asking about a rough shipping date for my pre-order, and got this back in response
"We're sorry to inform you that the items are temporarily out of stock
and unavailable to ship. The items will ship as soon as they become
available"

Since I'm assuming there are limited numbers of the LCE produced, I'm guessing that email means "you're never getting it".

• Locked thread