Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

Athanatos posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYbvsdCKZfI
My reasonably priced car lap, gotten it down to 1:47.460. I will never catch Minimaul or Wanderer though.

Lost lots of time in the last corner(s). You can make up quite a bit there with some later breaking. With the slower cars, keep your momentum up at all cost. Use the whole width of the track going into and coming out of corners. Think of it this way; coming out of a corner the more straight you are, the less you're still turning or hugging the inside, and the more the front wheels are straight the more power and speed you can get/carry. So use the whole width of the track. You don't want to go out of your way to use the whole width of the track, but don't keep turning if you don't have too when exiting a corner. If you can watch a ghost of some other replays do that for some of the super fast times to get an idea and see how people do it. Racing a ghost is one thing, but watching their ghost from your own driving perspective will really open your eyes. I take people for rides all the time when I autocross (sometimes even drive their cars) and the first thing they say is "holy poo poo you can do that?" Just seeing first hand what can be done is a huge eye opener for a lot of people. Might be worth a shot...

[/unsolicited advice]

:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Lyer posted:

Shift up when you hit the redline, generally you shift down to try and keep the revs high if you have to slow down, like braking before a corner.

So if I am on a rather long straight in 4th gear and taking a long time to hit that red line but acceleration has slowed, I should continue waiting for it to hit red and shouldn't shift up when I am ~75% to the red line?

Thanks for answering my dumb questions.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Wolfy posted:

Wow so you can buy unicorns on the auction house now. SCUDERIA HERE I COME.

Also it appears that GT500 was a 2007.

Prepare to spend a metric fuckton of CR.

pvax
Aug 6, 2001

Turn 10 has done exactly what they were aiming for with the flood of Muscle cars. With the even more impressive sound, these cars just feel so ... yeeARRRGhhhghggh it's awesome.

I also love the new Affinity system. Thank you so much for letting spend credits on tons of CARS and tune and paints etc ... It will be better for everyone. I might actually upgrade some non-shitboxes this time around.

The main My Forza Gallery wasn't loading right for me correctly- so I found out the basic link to the page. If you put in your gamer tag and cut/paste the following - you should be able to see your stuff.

code:
http://forzamotorsport.net/en-us/Gallery.aspx?gt=YOURGAMERTAGEHERE
Oh .. and Goons make even Nascar fun.
:siren: http://youtu.be/sE6u0NmMOkA :siren:

pvax fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Oct 12, 2011

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

Asnorban posted:

So if I am on a rather long straight in 4th gear and taking a long time to hit that red line but acceleration has slowed, I should continue waiting for it to hit red and shouldn't shift up when I am ~75% to the red line?

Thanks for answering my dumb questions.

If you're still in the power range, yes. It's all about being in the 'powerband'. Each car has a different power range through the RPM. Some have more power at lower ends and tapers off at close to redline, some have power all the way to redline. For somebody just beginning, take that fucker up to redline until you get a better understanding and feel for the cars/shifting.

Do some tests on straight tracks or oval tracks without any cars.

Go 40 mph. put the car into 5th or 6th. (so it's super low RPM, like 2k rpm) Floor it. Feel the car lag? Feel/see/hear how it's struggling to go, how it's like it's in molasses? That's because you're in the wrong gear.

Go 40mph, and use whichever gear is at the mid-range RPM, 4k-5k RPM. Probably 2nd or 3rd, depending on the car. Floor it. Notice how there's actually power now? That's cause you're in the right gear. Then you shift, and the process repeats.

When your RPMs get low again and you lose that 'power', downshift so that you're back where you need to be (corners).

It's like that for every gear, every corner, braking, turn, everything. You want to be in the sweet spot as much as possible. It'll take time to learn, but once you feel that slow, lurching no power 'why isn't my car hauling rear end' feeling then you'll know when you're in the wrong gear.

Hope that gives a basic idea. Just keep practicing and listening and feeling.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Minimaul posted:

If you're still in the power range, yes. It's all about being in the 'powerband'. Each car has a different power range through the RPM. Some have more power at lower ends and tapers off at close to redline, some have power all the way to redline. For somebody just beginning, take that fucker up to redline until you get a better understanding and feel for the cars/shifting.

Do some tests on straight tracks or oval tracks without any cars.

Go 40 mph. put the car into 5th or 6th. (so it's super low RPM, like 2k rpm) Floor it. Feel the car lag? Feel/see/hear how it's struggling to go, how it's like it's in molasses? That's because you're in the wrong gear.

Go 40mph, and use whichever gear is at the mid-range RPM, 4k-5k RPM. Probably 2nd or 3rd, depending on the car. Floor it. Notice how there's actually power now? That's cause you're in the right gear. Then you shift, and the process repeats.

When your RPMs get low again and you lose that 'power', downshift so that you're back where you need to be (corners).

It's like that for every gear, every corner, braking, turn, everything. You want to be in the sweet spot as much as possible. It'll take time to learn, but once you feel that slow, lurching no power 'why isn't my car hauling rear end' feeling then you'll know when you're in the wrong gear.

Hope that gives a basic idea. Just keep practicing and listening and feeling.

Thanks! Should help. Now I just need to get used to being able to do it while doing everything else. I tended to overfocus on either shifting gears or the rest of driving and blow at one or the other.

pvax
Aug 6, 2001

Of course, if you are in the Kia - you will just have to pretend that that power is there and available. ;)

ROOMBA floorvac
Aug 21, 2004
So how do the rotary engines sound? Any different compared to Forza 3? Just curious cause my RX-7 FD is one of my favorite drifting cars. :3:

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

Asnorban posted:

Thanks! Should help. Now I just need to get used to being able to do it while doing everything else. I tended to overfocus on either shifting gears or the rest of driving and blow at one or the other.

I went through all of that as well. Although, I did have real life experience driving cars, applying that to a video game was weird at first. You'll get it.

blodycoughbynewport
Oct 26, 2008

Sponsored by Big tobacco!
So, what is the currently acceptable Liana tune for power laps on the TG test track?

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Welp, just ordered my second copy of Forza 4... see you guys friday.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

maverick99 posted:

So how do the rotary engines sound? Any different compared to Forza 3? Just curious cause my RX-7 FD is one of my favorite drifting cars. :3:

The FD Spirit R Unicorn car I drove for a few hours last night sounded legit.

ROOMBA floorvac
Aug 21, 2004

Ziploc posted:

The FD Spirit R Unicorn car I drove for a few hours last night sounded legit.

Having to wait until Friday to play this is killing me. :emo:

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

This game is the loving tits. Seriously. If you have ANY interest in automobiles, this game is just superb. I didn't play Forza 3 much, because it didn't feel that big of an upgrade from F2 (it was still great though)....but Forza 4 is just loving amazing.

Here is my GMC Syclone. My truck all throughout high school was a white 93 Sonoma w/ a 4.3. I put cheesy blue stripes on it, roll pan, ground effects, wheels....basically everything minus the turbo on the syclone. It's amazing how much this looks like my old rig :slick:

The loving interior just brings me back to high school :) I'm getting old :(

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 12, 2011

Mr. Pither
May 28, 2006

Hello, friends!

Ziploc posted:

I think it's a unicorn now. And you could have gotten it easy by importing.

Woops!
Really? It's a unicorn now? I had mine left over from the Forza 3 collector's edition. It sounds like they re-recorded or otherwise altered the engine note though, so if they went to all that effort for a car that most people can't drive then that's too bad.

Also, they should add a horn for the races where you're passing lesser cars. Outta my way!

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene
How would I setup a car for mad driftuuuuu action? I assume I want stiff springs/damp up front and looser in the rear right? I've been destroying the B Class Championships with my Delorean, it's pretty boss.

I assume I'd want a front-engined rear wheel drive car for said driftuu as well yes?

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.
Time to take the game out of its shrink wrap and remove the sticker. I'll keep you guys posted on how that goes.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Picked up my copy last night at Best Buy, but they claimed they have absolutely nothing in-store regarding the 1M and that it should all be e-mailed. So far neither my roommate nor myself have seen anything in our email. Dammit Best Buy, I want my car!

Other than that, so far the game's just as excellent as the demo. For anyone who has a wheel, I strongly recommend building a proper driving seat setup if you have a place for it. Mine's just a few bucks worth of 2x4s and a seat from a junkyard MX-6 and it's awesome.

vv so much better than GT5. I'm still pissed about that POS since it was the main reason I bought a PS3.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 12, 2011

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Gamefly isnt sending me this game, and I just got a $25 best buy gift card, so gently caress it, i'm going to go there now and buy this game. Hope its awesome, and better than GT5.

pvax
Aug 6, 2001

My code was on the receipt from the store - never did get the email though either.

Man, this is the first time in a while a game has had me up until 3:30am when I have to work the next morning.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Minimaul posted:

[advice]

I love advice. My lines have gotten better since that video, still probably wont catch your times with ABS and Auto transmission on.

Also my first auction...

for a sweet 1k.

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!

blodycoughbynewport posted:

So, what is the currently acceptable Liana tune for power laps on the TG test track?

The real Reasonably Priced Cars have a rollcage and racing seats fitted. I don't think they have anything else done to them, aside from being fixed when someone breaks them with rubbish driving.

blodycoughbynewport
Oct 26, 2008

Sponsored by Big tobacco!

BlazeKinser posted:

The real Reasonably Priced Cars have a rollcage and racing seats fitted. I don't think they have anything else done to them, aside from being fixed when someone breaks them with rubbish driving.

So rollcage and level 1 or 3 weight reduction?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I'd say rollcage and the lvl 1 weight reduction is the right call.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

Athanatos posted:

I love advice. My lines have gotten better since that video, still probably wont catch your times with ABS and Auto transmission on.

Since we're all 'new' to the game, now would be a good time to start taking assists off and learning without them - if it's something you'd want to do. If you start now in a few days/weeks you'll be way better. It's better to do it now than wait and say "I'll turn off assists when I'm more familiar with the game." When that happens people are too comfortable to change effectively. Something to consider if you have an interest in driving without assist. Otherwise, keep on rockin' in the free world! haha.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Minimaul posted:

Since we're all 'new' to the game, now would be a good time to start taking assists off and learning without them - if it's something you'd want to do. If you start now in a few days/weeks you'll be way better. It's better to do it now than wait and say "I'll turn off assists when I'm more familiar with the game." When that happens people are too comfortable to change effectively. Something to consider if you have an interest in driving without assist. Otherwise, keep on rockin' in the free world! haha.
This is great advice. In GT4 goons were posting times in a shitbox and I wasn't getting close even though I felt I was driving pretty good laps. I decided to turn the traction control and assists off, and after a small learning curve, I was right in the thick of the posted times. Probably won't take more than a few hours to get used to it, and your times and skill will improve by a good margin.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Minimaul posted:

Listen to this man. I played with traction control and stability control on in Forza 3, turned that poo poo off in 4 and I'm having fun just driving, trying to keep that poo poo in line on top of running Rossi off the road so you can win the race.

That being said, I upgraded my AE86 to S class so I could be cool, but I am having one hell of a time driving it. poo poo spins out doing anything, even when I ease into the gas. I'm not sure if it's the car not being tuned properly or if I'm not handling it right. Should I just "work" my way up to S class cars before jumping into them?

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!
Is there any way to have the traffic in online races, apart from 10 AI cars in class F?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just don't decide to turn off all the assists and jump into an S class car.

Stick to C class or slower for a little while until you learn how to correct for all the ways you can gently caress up a corner. Work your way up and you'll experience a lot less frustration. B and A class "feel" somewhat the same in terms of how big your margin of error is, and are a safe middle ground.

But S class? loving bonkers.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Lyer posted:

That being said, I upgraded my AE86 to S class so I could be cool, but I am having one hell of a time driving it. poo poo spins out doing anything, even when I ease into the gas. I'm not sure if it's the car not being tuned properly or if I'm not handling it right. Should I just "work" my way up to S class cars before jumping into them?

The further a car gets away from its stock configuration, the harder it will be to drive. Sometimes tuning can fix it, but there's a point where there's too much torque being sent to the wheels for a mere mortal to control.

A stock Enzo will always be easier to drive than an AE86 at 700 PI, no matter how much tuning you put into it.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I tried the Forza Le Mans public lobby races and I was impressed. The AI is super-challenging and the action was amazing. Sadly though its usually only 3 laps.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

But I want to be cool. :( Thanks for the tips guys, I'll probably lower the class a few notches and see how it pans out.

ComfortablyNumb
Nov 7, 2008

This is not how I am.
I really love the simulation steering, I didn't expect much to be added to the 'feel' of the cars, but this really makes it so much better.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ComfortablyNumb posted:

I really love the simulation steering, I didn't expect much to be added to the 'feel' of the cars, but this really makes it so much better.

It generates all kinds of hilarity in fast cars when they get floaty.. you see a guy crest a hill with the gas floored, and starts swerving all over the place as he tries to correct for the car suddenly wanting to put itself rear end-forward.

The jump on maple valley is even more funny now, as is the long downhill stretch on the alps track.

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!

Lyer posted:

The thing you have to keep in mind about tuning and upgrading is that just because you can, doesn't exactly mean you should. An S-class Trueno is possible to do correctly, but even with all the assists on it would still be a monster to drive just because of the massive torque and power being poured onto relatively tiny wheels that weren't designed with that kind of power in mind.

The way I usually tune a car is from the bottom up, starting with the tires and suspension, working towards the drivetrain and reinforcement/lightening if needed, and then doing the engine last. It's been my experience that when you tune a car to make the most of the power it already has, then you learn a lot about that particular car's limits and quirks and know when it's a good or bad idea to keep increasing the power output.

Though for a very generalized rule of thumb: Front wheel drive cars can comfortably handle about 250-300 horsepower, small rear wheel drive cars 300-350, large rear wheel drive cars 400-500 depending on how old it is, and all-wheel drive can be pushed up to 600 but you'll need to fiddle with the suspension a lot to make use of it. You can go higher, but unless you're really careful with tuning it's usually wasted power beyond those numbers.

Of course, that's just my opinion. I'm sure there are plenty of other people who do it the other way and get better results than me, but that's how I learned it.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier

BlazeKinser posted:

The thing you have to keep in mind about tuning and upgrading is that just because you can, doesn't exactly mean you should.

:frogout:

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

xzzy posted:

It generates all kinds of hilarity in fast cars when they get floaty.. you see a guy crest a hill with the gas floored, and starts swerving all over the place as he tries to correct for the car suddenly wanting to put itself rear end-forward.

The jump on maple valley is even more funny now, as is the long downhill stretch on the alps track.

This.

Also, due to new suspension simulation (BODYROLL!) bumps are something the cars really react too now. So hitting a bump with the suspension loaded can cause you to lose your poo poo too.

Plastic Threat
Aug 28, 2003
omgomgogmmgogomomg
I love that the muscle cars are actually fun to drive now. I did the Boss 429 race in the world tour and holy god that was the most fun I've had in Forza in a while.

There's nothing like taking those big sweeping turns steering with the throttle.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

How wide tyres can we get on the AE86? Wider than in 3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I scratched my car :(

• Locked thread