Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

Bobnumerotres posted:

It's funny how to fight them again later and think "What the gently caress was so hard about these guys?"

It feels real good when you end up fighting many, many Taurus and Capra demons later on in the Demon Ruins and you're just like "eh, whatever these guys are easy".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

NoneSuch posted:

With the fog ring probably not going to ever be nerfed, or a counter introduced, I guess it's time to get a two-handed sword for the wide swings. I can't believe they've made pvp so messy, it's going to boil down to flailing swings and hopeful backstabs. Of course, the pvp crowd will love it as anything which alienates the majority of players is up their street.
Cat's out of the bag on increasingly more broken things as each day passes. Initially it was just fog ring, then fog ring + giant sword for giant AoE slow, then fog ring + the miracle version of the slow, to fog ring + miracle version of the slow + god's wrath.

I don't find the pvp very meaningful at the higher SLs either, and am kinda glad the game is bad at match making it a lot of the time.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Hy_C posted:

I want to try out a magic build so I can use that sweet looking Magic Spear from the Big Hat guy. Is a full magic build viable at all?

It is very powerful. Grab the extra magic damage hat and ring, kill things in 1-2 Soul Arrows, die in about the same amount of hits. Fog ring breaks the PvE experience because you can walk into lock on range and one shot 90% of monsters before they even know you're there.

Also, be prepared to curse the designers - dogs tend to close distance faster than one can hit them with a soul arrow.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

My Soliare clone is coming along well. I started as a knight, mainly because it seemed fitting. Knight stats are fitting for my plans too, which low res and int. I am being very careful with leveling in order to keep myself low, and have currently only leveled three times. I put a point in strength, dex, and faith. The 12 str/dex lets me use Soliare's sword and shield, and the 12 faith is for the heal miracle. I figure I can't always count on people being good with flasks. I'll pick up that 5000 soul high power low scaling talisman to use. Further levels will likely be in endurance, when the time comes.

I killed the minotaur on the wall by means of a lightning resin and a few bombs. As soon as I found Soliare, I used another lightning resin and chopped him up. I stole his equipment and immediately put it on. His identity is mine now! I've made it to the blacksmith now, and have upgraded the sword and shield to +3.

My goal now is to "Impart my sword with the power of the sun (fire)". Where is the easiest place to get a quick green titanite? I know there has to be an early one lying around somewhere. I figure a fire weapon should let me white phantom pretty easily, given that I am level 8.

I might end up making a specially named PSN account for the guy, so people don't see FilthyApe when they try to summon him. Help me out, and suggest some amusing names for me.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Oct 12, 2011

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
StandAsideAndPleaseDontDie

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTkkDYVzpvM&feature=related
What sword is this? Several vids about beating these guys feature this sword and it does as much damage as my claymore's strong attack.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
I killed a butcher in The Depths (the second butcher) and he dropped an item which was a sack. I can't find it anywhere in my inventory, anyone know what this is? Is it a joke drop?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Macksy posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTkkDYVzpvM&feature=related
What sword is this? Several vids about beating these guys feature this sword and it does as much damage as my claymore's strong attack.
The famous Drake Sword. Makes the early game much easier in general. Location is well known but I guess I'll spoil it anyway if you want to discover it yourself:

Get it by shooting the tail of the Drake a bunch of times on the bridge.

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

I swear I wrote something funny here.

Elysiume posted:

What should I be assisting on as at SL30? I'm not getting as many bites as I'd like on Gaping Dragon.

Drawback to being summoned: tons of humanity that I can't store safely.

Meh, I just leveled up to 29 so I could get my faith up high enough for great lightning spear. Was hoping to do some Gaping Dragon runs for fun before heading into Blight Town (which I'm dreading).

Not that I can play right now anyway, gotta wait for my son to take a nap.

Are you on PSN or XBOX? I could assist you with butterfly if you still have that to do if you're on PSN (again once my son takes a nap and assuming you haven't leveled up).

Malachite
Mar 2, 2004

Hy_C posted:

I want to try out a magic build so I can use that sweet looking Magic Spear from the Big Hat guy. Is a full magic build viable at all?

Not sure about sorcery, but pyromancy is making the end game extremely easy. The beginning is kind of rough since you have limited casts, but once you have a full repertoire of spells, everything just melts. I killed Nito in about 12 seconds and the four kings in under a minute.

Put on some heavy armor, cast iron skin and then just start spamming spells. Only a grab can stop you, and all that does is tickle you and waste some of your skin duration.

nauggins
Jun 26, 2009

it's big money postin' baby boy

Filthy Monkey posted:

I might end up making a specially named PSN account for the guy, so people don't see FilthyApe when they try to summon him. Help me out, and suggest some amusing names for me.

Sir/Mr./Señor Sunshine?

xXxDa_Brite_KnitexXx

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

I'm thinking maybe it's just me that can't invade people. The blue eye orb never works. It might also be that I'm level 68 but I have yet to invade someone since the ring pulled me to one as a Darkmoon Blade.

freeb0rn
Jan 22, 2005

Mad Monk posted:

I killed a butcher in The Depths (the second butcher) and he dropped an item which was a sack. I can't find it anywhere in my inventory, anyone know what this is? Is it a joke drop?

It's a helm. You can also trade it to Snuggly.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Hy_C posted:

I'm thinking maybe it's just me that can't invade people. The blue eye orb never works. It might also be that I'm level 68 but I have yet to invade someone since the ring pulled me to one as a Darkmoon Blade.

It worked twice for me last night in Anor Londo by the painting in the cathedral. I was level 70 at the time.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Man I got so lucky on the twin bosses. I was still human from kindling the previous fire to get more flasks (having died once already). When I got to the gate I noticed someone had their summon sign up so we duo'd them in like a minute. The huge guy went straight for him while the other one went for me. We just destroyed them. I think I'm gonna hang out near the boss door and repay the favour.

Speaking of the Lordvessel. Does it affect the plot if I give it to the Darkwraith duder? Just a yes/no question.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I'm reaching the end of my patience with the Tomb of Giants. Beware of a massive hissyfit behind the black block. I can make it to Nito without taking any damage quite reliably now if luck is on my side, but then falling into his stage causes me to lose more than half my health, then healing after landing causes a big poison spike to shoot out of the ground, then I can't actually get peace to fight him without getting gangbanged by skeletons that I can't even kill because I don't have the right kind of weapon and because the online is so poo poo, I can't even find someone to summon to help me out.

Pile this all on top of other frustrations, like getting kicked off cliffs by skeletons, my autotarget going away at a frustratingly close distance, so instead of backing up from an enemy my character turns his back to them and gets loving raped, or when I press triangle to go switch between one handing my weapon and two handing, which never seems to reliably work if I've been hit, although the game is happy to queue up all sorts of other inputs when it's not useful. Or when you do a heavy attack on an enemy only for them to jump off a cliff while helplessly watch your character follows through on his attack and dive straight off the cliff after them.

Fuuuuck this area.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Mad Monk posted:

It's a piece of armor for your leggings I believe. Literally a loincloth. Also you can trade it with invisible nest girl.

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Captain Seafart posted:

It worked twice for me last night in Anor Londo by the painting in the cathedral. I was level 70 at the time.

I should add that I'm also playing on the Xbox.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Hy_C posted:

Are you on the 360? Because I'm about that level range and invading people has such a low chance because there's about 1/20th of the players in the book of the guilty compared to the PS3.

PS3 online > 360 online simply because the PS3 version is free so there's a ton more players.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

nauggins posted:

I've been using the Hollow Warrior Shield +3 and the Elite Knight set, and I swear I get insta-toxin'd. Are you using armor with crazy poison resist and/or do you have a load of resilience?

I've been through there with a knight shield +5 and an eagle shield +0. Sometimes it's hard to tell where the darts are coming from so maybe you're getting hit in the sides or back? The shadow armor you can find on the depths path through blighttown has great poison resist, but I wasn't using that.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
^^: Shadow armor looks cool but sucks. And takes TT.

Wielding weapons two handed increases damage, right?

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
So I just picked up some Red Sign Soapstone. Is that for only Darkwraith use?

Dr.Cthulhu
Jan 19, 2005

Earache! Earache!
Cthulhu Fatigue!
118,000 to abolish sins? I accidentally hit an NPC in Blightown near the bonfire and I think it's a dude who I first me in Anor Londo. He was hiding around a corner....for fucks sake!

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Leyburn posted:

I'm reaching the end of my patience with the Tomb of Giants. Beware of a massive hissyfit behind the black block. I can make it to Nito without taking any damage quite reliably now if luck is on my side, but then falling into his stage causes me to lose more than half my health, then healing after landing causes a big poison spike to shoot out of the ground, then I can't actually get peace to fight him without getting gangbanged by skeletons that I can't even kill because I don't have the right kind of weapon and because the online is so poo poo, I can't even find someone to summon to help me out.

Pile this all on top of other frustrations, like getting kicked off cliffs by skeletons, my autotarget going away at a frustratingly close distance, so instead of backing up from an enemy my character turns his back to them and gets loving raped, or when I press triangle to go switch between one handing my weapon and two handing, which never seems to reliably work if I've been hit, although the game is happy to queue up all sorts of other inputs when it's not useful. Or when you do a heavy attack on an enemy only for them to jump off a cliff while helplessly watch your character follows through on his attack and dive straight off the cliff after them.

Fuuuuck this area.

I'm heavy into Vit and End and I lose a ton of health as well, but a trick at least to the Gravelord Sword Dance poo poo he does (the sword coming out of the ground) if you listen closely, there's a scream that gets louder, when that finishes the sword comes out of the ground.

As far as his buddies, don't move towards him, dodge the sword until he's up on you, that way you don't have to deal with the big guys. You will however, need to get a hold of a divine weapon to put the skellies down for good. I said gently caress it and jumped out, pumped a broad sword up to +3 divine. You can do most the damage with your main, as long as the finishing blow is with the divine, they won't get back up. When he doesn't have the skeletons with him, Nito is piss easy.

Draven fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 12, 2011

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

The.GreyWolf posted:

So I just picked up some Red Sign Soapstone. Is that for only Darkwraith use?

I think that is free for anybody to use, but it is not for invading but rather dueling. The other party has to willingly accept your sign. I doubt you would get many bites with it.

nauggins
Jun 26, 2009

it's big money postin' baby boy

The Moon Monster posted:

Sometimes it's hard to tell where the darts are coming from so maybe you're getting hit in the sides or back?

Yeah, this is probably it. It seems to happen a lot when fighting those awful dudes that jump on you and munch your neck, so it could also be that the darts are hitting me while I'm swinging. Either way I have bought and eaten so much Blooming Moss :negative:

Cool Ranch
Sep 20, 2001
Nap Ghost
I apologize for posting something that has probably been mentioned a lot in this thread, but I am trying to avoid spoilers for my first run-through.

I am playing on xbox at about Soul Level 30 and have a covenant with Way of the White, and I just don't ever see people to summon when I am in human form. If I am hollow and drop my white stone, I never get summoned either.

I was just curious if there was something about my covenant that is preventing me from seeing a majority of players, or if my network connection sucks or something. Has anyone else had issues with this? I see lots of messages on the ground, and I see the bloodstains and ghosts of other players running around, so there is obviously some connectivity, but I just feel like I am not experiencing the same amount of summoning options as I did in Demon's Souls.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Smelly posted:

I'm heavy into Vit and End and I lose a ton of health as well, but a trick at least to the Gravelord Sword Dance poo poo he does (the sword coming out of the ground) if you listen closely, there's a scream that gets louder, when that finishes the sword comes out of the ground.

As far as his buddies, don't move towards him, dodge the sword until he's up on you, that way you don't have to deal with the big guys. You will however, need to get a hold of a divine weapon to put the skellies down for good. I said gently caress it and jumped out, pumped a broad sword up to +3 divine. You can do most the damage with your main, as long as the finishing blow is with the divine, they won't get back up. When he doesn't have the skeletons with him, Nito is piss easy.

Thanks for this. Good advice. I was hoping to avoid having to go back out, because making my way through the catacombs again is a loving drag, but if that's what needs to be done, then so be it.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

Has anyone got the Eye of Death work for them? The whole Gravelord covenant seems hosed.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Cool Ranch posted:

I apologize for posting something that has probably been mentioned a lot in this thread, but I am trying to avoid spoilers for my first run-through.

I am playing on xbox at about Soul Level 30 and have a covenant with Way of the White, and I just don't ever see people to summon when I am in human form. If I am hollow and drop my white stone, I never get summoned either.

I was just curious if there was something about my covenant that is preventing me from seeing a majority of players, or if my network connection sucks or something. Has anyone else had issues with this? I see lots of messages on the ground, and I see the bloodstains and ghosts of other players running around, so there is obviously some connectivity, but I just feel like I am not experiencing the same amount of summoning options as I did in Demon's Souls.
Where are you wandering around/dropping your sigil? You can get summoned as human as well, by the way.

Orcrez
Apr 11, 2009

Rascyc posted:

The famous Drake Sword. Makes the early game much easier in general. Location is well known but I guess I'll spoil it anyway if you want to discover it yourself:

Get it by shooting the tail of the Drake a bunch of times on the bridge.

This is the best sword i think for low lvls. Im hitting hard around 143hp's with one hand and shield.

Is humanity dropped from random undead? also i just found out how to jump after reaching lvl 17! :argh:

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

evilalien posted:

I think that is free for anybody to use, but it is not for invading but rather dueling. The other party has to willingly accept your sign. I doubt you would get many bites with it.

The Demon's Souls equivalent was used a ton on 4-1. Both when I played through the game initially and when I did my pre-Dark Souls runthroughs, duel signs were at least as common as summon signs at the archstone. People use it for PVP practice or fun.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

If I open the shortcut to Lost Izalith and then leave the Chaos Servant covenant, does it stay open or will it close?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Filthy Monkey posted:

Are you representing the sun (are you orange?)? Also you should name yourself Solaire so that people think you're the NPC and then stand in a corner waving at everyone during boss fights.

quote:

If I open the shortcut to Lost Izalith and then leave the Chaos Servant covenant, does it stay open or will it close?
That shortcut is for everyone.

What happens to solaire? The last time I saw him he was in the Izalith. Now all I have left are the four kings, Nito, and the final boss. Not many white signs for those.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 12, 2011

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Colon Parenthesis posted:

Has anyone got the Eye of Death work for them? The whole Gravelord covenant seems hosed.

No, but I think it works like a soapstone. You must be human, you can't place it near a bonfire, if you leave an area it disappears, if you die it disappears, if you turn the console off it disappears. The miracle is kind of bad too. The casting times takes a good while and the damage isn't that great for what it is. You'd think for a 2 use AOE it'd cast faster.

Pierson posted:

Man I got so lucky on the twin bosses. I was still human from kindling the previous fire to get more flasks (having died once already). When I got to the gate I noticed someone had their summon sign up so we duo'd them in like a minute. The huge guy went straight for him while the other one went for me. We just destroyed them. I think I'm gonna hang out near the boss door and repay the favour.

Just out of curiosity what is your avatar from?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

The Moon Monster posted:

I've been through there with a knight shield +5 and an eagle shield +0. Sometimes it's hard to tell where the darts are coming from so maybe you're getting hit in the sides or back? The shadow armor you can find on the depths path through blighttown has great poison resist, but I wasn't using that.

Use the spider shield and a spear or estoc for the toxin dart guys. When you block with the spider shield it negates the toxin buildup of any dart that you block and since blocking darts doesn't drain stamina, with a spear or estoc you can just do that blocking attack to your hearts content so long a you don't empty your stamina bar.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams

freeb0rn posted:

It's a helm. You can also trade it to Snuggly.

Thanks. I wouldn't have actually thought to look for it under 'armor'...so I guess I lied when I said I couldn't find it anywhere in my inventory...haha.

Can't wait to try it on for size.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I wanna make a new guy, I'm getting kind of tired of swinging my two-hander and being SL70 really cramps any sort of online play in but the most rigid of areas. I wanna level up and keep the guy I make around SL30 and kind of bomb around and assist people with bosses and net some sweet sweet humanities.

I was thinking of a Sorc going the Int + Dex route with a touch of str for equipment purposes. But being a pyromancer would make more sense wouldn't it? Since it isn't stat reliant. I want to get away from two-handers entirely and pump points into whatever would accent using a one hander with a shield + wielding magic.

Hy_C posted:

I should add that I'm also playing on the Xbox.

I am too! and that isn't to say it isn't a factor because last night was the ONLY two times its worked out of 100

Ichabod Tane fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Oct 12, 2011

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Where are the NPC summons for the Gaping Dragon fight? Are they actually in the boss room itself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Leyburn posted:

Thanks for this. Good advice. I was hoping to avoid having to go back out, because making my way through the catacombs again is a loving drag, but if that's what needs to be done, then so be it.

I threw myself at him for about an hour the other night, once I jumped out and grabbed that Divine weapon; I beat him the first try.

• Locked thread