Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Colon Parenthesis posted:

Has anyone got the Eye of Death work for them? The whole Gravelord covenant seems hosed.

Yup, it's bugged to hell or simply not fully implanted. I hear there's supposed to be a special orb, which works is like a red eye stone, you lay down to infect other worlds. The eye things merely increase your chance to get invaded and aren't anything to do with the world infecting bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Elysiume posted:

^^: Shadow armor looks cool but sucks. And takes TT.

Wielding weapons two handed increases damage, right?

Doubles it, I think.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Rough Lobster posted:

Doubles it, I think.

I believe the damage is 1.5x one handed damage.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Smelly posted:

I threw myself at him for about an hour the other night, once I jumped out and grabbed that Divine weapon; I beat him the first try.

If you don't meet the requirements for Astora's straight sword, will it still keep skeletons dead?

quote:

Yup, it's bugged to hell or simply not fully implanted. I hear there's supposed to be a special orb, which works is like a red eye stone, you lay down to infect other worlds. The eye things merely increase your chance to get invaded and aren't anything to do with the world infecting bit.

Wait, really? Would the thing that actually does it be one of the rank rewards then, maybe?

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

team overhead smash posted:

Where are the NPC summons for the Gaping Dragon fight? Are they actually in the boss room itself?

They are always outside the boss room somewhere nearby. I know Solaire is right up the first staircase outside the boss room.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

RBA Starblade posted:

If you don't meet the requirements for Astora's straight sword, will it still keep skeletons dead?

It should, as long as the final hit is with it.

Dunno though, I never used it.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Smelly posted:

I threw myself at him for about an hour the other night, once I jumped out and grabbed that Divine weapon; I beat him the first try.

I'm going to see if I can get my Lightening Battle Axe to and Artorios Greatshield heavily upgraded too, which should make things a bit less painful too. I think I should have the materials to do it. Just gotta work out who can actually do it for me.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Smelly posted:

I believe the damage is 1.5x one handed damage.
That sounds about right. I'll test it at some point. Either way, if it's 1.5x or 2x, why do people 1-hand on Gaping Dragon? You can't block. Nothing he does is blockable (or even worth blocking if it was). 2-hand your goddamn weapons!

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Leyburn posted:

I'm going to see if I can get my Lightening Battle Axe to and Artorios Greatshield heavily upgraded too, which should make things a bit less painful too. I think I should have the materials to do it. Just gotta work out who can actually do it for me.

Lightning is from the blacksmith in Anor Londo, any blacksmith should be able to upgrade the greatshield.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE
Wait wait wait. The Moonlight Sword is based on Magic instead of Faith now?

My character build is useless now. I wanted to use that sword!

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

In the wrong hands, the stapler is a deadly weapon.

So I've taken out Quelaag, Moonlight Butterfly, and I think Havel (he dropped Havel's ring, at least) in the past little while, and now it seems like I'm spoiled for choice on where to go. I'm thinking of going back down to the Demon Ruins since that's where I ended up right after the second bell, but I went back to Firelink Shrine using the elevator to recuperate. But there's also that new gate that opened up near the blacksmith, not to mention using that black orb to get revenge for the death of the Fire Keeper.

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

I swear I wrote something funny here.

Elysiume posted:

Wielding weapons two handed increases damage, right?

If it uses the same formula as Demon's Souls it effectively increases your strength by 1.5. People who used two-handed weapons in Demon's Souls basically had a strength cap of 66.

It probably increases the base damage some too but strength (at least in demon's souls) was the only stat that got improved scaling from two-handing.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Wait, really? Would the thing that actually does it be one of the rank rewards then, maybe?

The skeletons stay dead if you don't meet the requirments, but it's not advisable. It sucks having to beat them down to a slither of their health then swap weapons to kill them.

I suppose it would be, I don't really know to be honest. This is all rumour and speculation, but apparently someone saw it getting used at an event, and it's possible that the japanese version of the game has already been patched to include it. Don't take my word on it, but it makes sense that the eye things aren't the right tool.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE
Question about the (shield crafted from boss soul) Crystal Ring Shield.

The damage from its special attack is supposed to be based on the damage caused by your right-hand weapon, right? What if you're using a weapon you don't have enough strength to one-hand properly? Is the shield attack based on the full damage or the damage after the horrible not-enough-Strength penalty?

Urgan
Apr 5, 2004

I'm glad I'm not backwards
Just picked this game up last night, and man, there is no freaking way I could have played this when I was 15. My controller would have been through the TV by now. I have no idea what I am supposed to be doing really, or where I'm at, or if I am going the right direction. All I know is I keep getting my rear end kicked by some big demon thing on a bridge. This is a totally different style of game than I am used to, but overall I am enjoying it as long as my roommate isn't sitting in the room laughing at my every death.

Also, is there a way to see when you're ready to level up other than returning to the bonfire?

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
^^^Getting your rear end kicked by the Taurus Demon? You're going the right way. ^^^

NoneSuch posted:

I suppose it would be, I don't really know to be honest. This is all rumour and speculation, but apparently someone saw it getting used at an event, and it's possible that the japanese version of the game has already been patched to include it. Don't take my word on it, but it makes sense that the eye things aren't the right tool.

It sounds like more hearsay to me, but maybe one the goons that can read Japanese can pop over to their forums and see if they've been patched recently.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

:stare: Frapt is loving terrifying and I hate looking at him.

Seriously, he came out of no where. One minute I'm wandering around the shrine, minding my own business, then BAM. There he is. *shudder*

edit:

I have a blessed weapon, but it doesn't seem to do anything. The damage is entirely physical (much lower than my other weapons, actually) and even against undead it doesn't seem to be stopping them from being resurrected. Anyone experiencing this, or am I just imagining things?

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 12, 2011

Numbers
Jul 13, 2000
Is sorcery or pyromancy seen as more powerful? I already beat the game as pure melee and want to try something a bit easier this time instead of NG+ . I guess I could do both, but I'm not sure I want to spread my stats around that much. I was primarly a dex/end/vit user so using the big rear end strength weapons kind of appeals to me.

Also, I hear you can do both as a pyromancer (fire magic and heavy armor/big weapons).

Basically I want to take the easiest route possible this time. Any ideas?

MMania
May 7, 2008
So I have an idea to help get around the lovely P2P matchmaking system: having a recommended level for each boss. You can summon within +/- 10% of your level so it's not a hard cap or anything. Side bonus: this will discourage farming the forest for levels as soon as you can save up enough for the key, and encourage upgrading your gear and stocking up on consumables like toxin cures.

lvl 5 - Taurus Demon? (easy to beat using the "correct" strategy anyway)
lvl 10 - Gargoyles
lvl 15 - Butterfly? Not hard if you can dodge well, cheese option is to summon the NPC under the stairs.
lvl 20 - Capra Demon
lvl 25 - Gaping Dragon
lvl 30 - Quelaag
lvl 35 - Sif
lvl 40 - Iron Golem
lvl 45 - Ornstein/Smough
lvl 50 - Priscilla

... but then the game branches so it's tough to put bosses in any sort of order. Maybe level 60 (so 54-66) for everything? You can easily level up to 50 without using consumable souls, I'd say this is a good time to eat them and beef up. Say an end-game level of 70? I beat the game at lvl 71 and had 50 str already so that might a bit high. As far as placing signs go, at the closest bonfire or right in front of the fog door seem to be the two popular options. Two bosses have non-respawning guys that make the fights 10x harder and are outside the fog gate are Gaping Dragon and Iron Golem, don't leave them alive if you choose option B!

edit \/ didn't know that about the second boss

MMania fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 12, 2011

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Captain Seafart posted:

I wanna make a new guy, I'm getting kind of tired of swinging my two-hander and being SL70 really cramps any sort of online play in but the most rigid of areas. I wanna level up and keep the guy I make around SL30 and kind of bomb around and assist people with bosses and net some sweet sweet humanities.

I was thinking of a Sorc going the Int + Dex route with a touch of str for equipment purposes. But being a pyromancer would make more sense wouldn't it? Since it isn't stat reliant. I want to get away from two-handers entirely and pump points into whatever would accent using a one hander with a shield + wielding magic.

For what its worth, I stated my dex character with the intent of making him a dex/int hybrid, but to be honest sorcery hybrids are kind of trash. Unless you are just using sorcery for weapon enchants, then they work fine but you don't need to tank a lot of points into int to pull that off. My sorc hybrid wound up becoming a dex/pyro hybrid since you aren't tanking your soul level and your ability to coop by leveling the pyromancer flame along with your dex like you would be doing with sorcery/int.

If you want to do sorcery, you really need to dedicate yourself to it since there really aren't a lot of good hybrid weapons like the blueblood sword from demons souls.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Oct 12, 2011

Cool Ranch
Sep 20, 2001
Nap Ghost

Elysiume posted:

Where are you wandering around/dropping your sigil? You can get summoned as human as well, by the way.

I've been dropping my sign all over the place for the last 10 levels just to see if anyone summons me. I've done the moth boss, depths boss, was running around catacombs a bunch, and just recently last night was in blight town trying to summon folks to fight the flaming spider, but had no luck.

I guess if it's not something that people are aware of with the game I will just have to go check my router and crap again to see if there's problems I missed.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

RBA Starblade posted:

No, but I think it works like a soapstone. You must be human, you can't place it near a bonfire, if you leave an area it disappears, if you die it disappears, if you turn the console off it disappears. The miracle is kind of bad too. The casting times takes a good while and the damage isn't that great for what it is. You'd think for a 2 use AOE it'd cast faster.

NoneSuch posted:

So far I've had no success with the Eye of Death really except offering them. I gave my first set to Nito and then realised I was supposed to use them to gain more of them, so I spent a few hours getting a bunch of humanity and the covetous serpent ring for 325~ drop rate and it still took me a long time to get 5 of them.

I used one in the Darkroot forest past the Artorias crest door and got both a black phantom invader and a red-glowing invader who I assumed was one of the forest covenant. Tried using one each in the Depths and Catacombs as well and waiting a long time but all I get is the black smoke around my character. I wish there was a notification of some sort if it even succeeded in connecting to other players. I want to do it though eventually even if it's not as rewarding as the Gravelord sword for joining the covenant.

Also is there any alternative way to get the Bottomless Box? I took a really backward-rear end route through this game and got to Blightown from behind and never visited the Depths until level 50 or so, and the merchant has never appeared for me down there.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I've gotten matched to help out as high as SL 70 for Orstein/Slough.

In regards to magic scaling weapons - you need to make them this time around. Specifically the enchanted weapon line.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Colon Parenthesis posted:

So far I've had no success with the Eye of Death really. I gave my first set to Nito and then realised I was supposed to use them to gain more of them, so I spent a few hours getting a bunch of humanity and the covetous serpent ring for 325~ drop rate and it still took me a long time to get 5 of them.

I used one in the Darkroot forest past the Artorias crest door and got both a black phantom invader and a red-glowing invader who I assumed was one of the forest covenant. Tried using one each in the Depths and Catacombs as well and waiting a long time but all I get is the black smoke around my character. I wish there was a notification of some sort if it even succeeded in connecting to other players.

Also is there any alternative way to get the Bottomless Box? I took a really backward-rear end route through this game and got to Blightown from behind and never visited the Depths until level 50 or so, and the merchant has never appeared for me down there.

Check under the aquaduct in Firelink, he should be sitting on it. It takes some precision, but you can actually get onto the bottom portion of it.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

MMania posted:

Two bosses have guys that make the fights 10x harder and are outside the fog gate are Gaping Dragon (doesn't respawn) and Iron Golem (does), don't leave them alive if you choose option B!

The golem that throws bombs in Sen's Fortress doesn't respawn, the lower one that drops boulders into the boulder trap does, but is inconsequential to the fight.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

MMania posted:

So I have an idea to help get around the lovely P2P matchmaking system: having a recommended level for each boss. You can summon within +/- 10% of your level so it's not a hard cap or anything. Side bonus: this will discourage farming the forest for levels as soon as you can save up enough for the key, and encourage upgrading your gear and stocking up on consumables like toxin cures.

lvl 5 - Taurus Demon? (easy to beat using the "correct" strategy anyway)
lvl 10 - Gargoyles
lvl 15 - Butterfly? Not hard if you can dodge well, cheese option is to summon the NPC under the stairs.
lvl 20 - Capra Demon
lvl 25 - Gaping Dragon
lvl 30 - Quelaag
lvl 35 - Sif
lvl 40 - Iron Golem
lvl 45 - Ornstein/Smough
lvl 50 - Priscilla
All I'm doing is working on gear so I can keep assisting on Gaping. I'm still getting requests at 30, which surprised me. The fact that Butterfly is 15 means I should really really head back there. Christ, I'm SL30.

Is there any way to get from Blighttown back to anywhere else quickly? I don't entirely want to get stuck down there for a long amount of time.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
Keep in mind that later on down the road, you should be able to help any fight at any level. Once everyone starts getting into NG+ and beyond.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Bobnumerotres posted:

What happens to solaire? The last time I saw him he was in the Izalith. Now all I have left are the four kings, Nito, and the final boss. Not many white signs for those.

Solaire basically hollows at this point unless you have a guide.

In order to keep Solaire alive and reach his next encounter near the Chaos covenant bonfire, you need to NOT traverse into Lost Izalith. You instead take the shortcut from Demon Ruins, and kill all nine of the huge slugs that do little more than block the path.

Only once all nine of them are killed should you cross into Lost Izalith. If you leave one alive, or skip this shortcut altogether, Solaire is killed by them and shows up as a phantom prior to the door to Bed of Chaos boss fight.

If you kill all nine slugs, you can meet with him one more time near Chaos covenant bonfire, and talking to him will unlock his summon sign for the final boss.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

My Soliare clone just picked up a longsword, and I just noticed that the longsword's R1 is a tough faster than Soliare's sword. Can somebody who has a high strength test the relative speed of the R1s of these swords for me? I would like to see if there is any truth to this "Strength lets you swing faster" stuff. I am not sure I buy it, personally. I have 12 strength. Two more than needed for the longsword, but the exact number for Soliare's sword.

Maybe it is just because Soliare's sword is a little heavier. I wish I knew how it worked.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Elysiume posted:

^^: Shadow armor looks cool but sucks. And takes TT.

It's great for the swamp since it has massive poison resist and the enemies there are so easy you don't need strong armor.

DeathSandwich posted:

Use the spider shield and a spear or estoc for the toxin dart guys. When you block with the spider shield it negates the toxin buildup of any dart that you block and since blocking darts doesn't drain stamina, with a spear or estoc you can just do that blocking attack to your hearts content so long a you don't empty your stamina bar.

Like I said before I've never had any problem using any old shield against the dart guys. Either I block their darts and they don't do enough build up for toxic to take effect or I don't block the darts and I go from 0 to 100% in one hit.

MMania
May 7, 2008

Elysiume posted:

Is there any way to get from Blighttown back to anywhere else quickly? I don't entirely want to get stuck down there for a long amount of time.

God yes, go up the wooden elevator, take all the ladders up, *pick up the key at the top,* and head out to a gate in the Valley of Drakes. Takes you out in New Londo Ruins, right under Firelink.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.

DeathSandwich posted:

For what its worth, I stated my dex character with the intent of making him a dex/int hybrid, but to be honest sorcery hybrids are kind of trash. Unless you are just using sorcery for weapon enchants, then they work fine but you don't need to tank a lot of points into int to pull that off. My sorc hybrid wound up becoming a dex/pyro hybrid since you aren't tanking your soul level and your ability to coop by leveling the pyromancer flame along with your dex like you would be doing with sorcery/int.

If you want to do sorcery, you really need to dedicate yourself to it since there really aren't a lot of good hybrid weapons like the blueblood sword from demons souls.

So nothing but int, attunement and maybe some endurance/vit then? I'm still very early game (as in second bonfire before taurus demon) so I don't want to gimp myself too badly. I've put a few points in endurance and one in dex.

My demon's soul caster was all over the place with a focus on int (mid 40s) and then I spent everything on either endurance, vit and enough strength to wield the crescent falchion.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Filthy Monkey posted:

I would like to see if there is any truth to this "Strength lets you swing faster" stuff. I am not sure I buy it, personally. I have 12 strength. Two more than needed for the longsword, but the exact number for Soliare's sword.

I'll spare you the effort of testing and tell you that there isn't any truth to that. Weapon speed is entirely dependent on the weapon.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Rascyc posted:

You get a fire sister soul that you can use to upgrade your flask, but you also lose out on a pretty useful teleport spot. I wouldn't do it personally.

Also you miss out on Chaos Covenant obviously.

Oh man, and I was thinking "It's pretty dumb that there's no bonfire teleport for anywhere near blight town" after I got the lordvessel. I killed that dumb spider because I figured I didn't care about her covenant. Wish I had known it was an important bonfire

Tarradax
Jan 8, 2008

It will work!
I think my game is bugged :(

In the Painted World, I killed that crumbling dragon-like slime-spewer. Only I still can't pass because of what looks like a piece of it that's left behind and blocking the bridge. I tried stabbing it, shooting it with arrows, shooting it with fireballs and going back to the bonfire to reset hoping it will go away. Is there a way around this?

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4
FINALLY completed Sen's Fortress. I went into the Depths (which I hadn't done) and totally schooled it, not froggy curse for me. Then I banged on into Sen's with 6 humanity in human form. I was elated, quite frankly. Found the key for the shortcut cage, found the bonfire, all lovely and happy and delightful. Then I descended in the cage to activate the shortcut and tried to get in what I thought was the cage to go back up. I fell through it and onto the floor.

OHFUoh no, it's alright I have a sliver of health left, thank god for tBZZZK lightning bolt from that loving lizard down there. I restart, thinking I'm going to have to drop in and navigate around all those titanite demons, but as I descend in the cage I see my bloodstain is on the bridge. Sounds all good. Except this second cage opens right in front of that lizard on the very first bridge and, for no good reason, my shield becomes null and void when in a cage, apparently, and he stands there and murders me with impunity.

Six humanity lost.

The onyl time I've been angry at the game and not myself. I actually did the :negative: smily

Then I beat Iron Golem and felt better, especially when his fat loving rear end fell off the tower. BEAT IT FATTY.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Tarradax posted:

I think my game is bugged :(

In the Painted World, I killed that crumbling dragon-like slime-spewer. Only I still can't pass because of what looks like a piece of it that's left behind and blocking the bridge. I tried stabbing it, shooting it with arrows, shooting it with fireballs and going back to the bonfire to reset hoping it will go away. Is there a way around this?

Jump attack it.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Elysiume posted:

Are you saying it's best to fight him on the stairs?
Kinda, but it's a specific set of stairs... here, will write it up again:

How to cheese Havel

This assumes you're entering his tower from the Undead Burg side. The staircase you climb in undead burg to get to the tower's door is "the staircase," and the door at the top of that staircase is "the door".

Go down the tower, only far enough to get Havel following you up. Beat feet back to the door, making sure Havel is still following you. If he is, run down the stairs. Havel will follow you out. Once he's outside the door and on the stairs, he'll take precisely one swing at you (the overhead slam) before backpedaling to his spawn point. If, while he is backpedaling, you set foot back inside the door / in the tower, he will re-agro and run back at you (assuming he was still relatively near the door). You can then run back down the stairs, he'll follow, swing, and return. The key here is that, when backpedaling, Havel never has his shield up.

Strategy:

Equip a bow and plenty of arrows. Doesn't matter what kind, but stronger will make it take less time.

Lure Havel to the door, lock onto him, and lure him down the stairs. Get close enough for him to start his wind-up, backstep his swing (making sure you weren't too close to the base of the stairs that you CAN'T back up). Fire one to two arrows at him as he backpedals up the steps. If you time it right as he's at the top of the stairs, one of those locked-on shots will be a bleeding headshot.

Follow Havel up the stairs. Fire one more arrow as he crosses the circular room. As soon as he starts down the other set of stairs there, step into the room. Done right, you won't lose the lock-on. He'll come charging back at you, lure him down the stairs, avoid the swing. 2 arrows, follow, 1 arrow, slightly step into room to taunt him, back down stairs, avoid, 2 arrows, back, etc.

It takes about 10 minutes-ish, and done right, you're in no danger whatsoever. Can be done at any level.

EDIT: Ah, and someone has indeed added it to the wiki. It's the second strategy listed. Will update it with a bit more detail in a sec, their description isn't quite clear.

EDIT: VV Eh, for whatever reason, I feel ok cheesing bosses if I've figured out the cheese tactic myself. Doesn't help you, but it still makes me feel alright if I'm just exploiting a weakness they have. Not much different than boar's... uh, unarmored... part.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 12, 2011

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I think I might invest in some Rings of Sacrifice with my abundance of souls, put on some really light armor and try to Bandit Dagger him to death. Every time I cheese a boss I feel bad.

edit: It sounds so safe and easy, though...

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 12, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarradax
Jan 8, 2008

It will work!

Smelly posted:

Jump attack it.

How do I do that? I don't think my Lightning Spear or Drake sword can jump-attack...

• Locked thread