Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Martytoof posted:

Xenomorph, have you filed a bug report about it? Or checked in the support forums? Honestly, you might want to just pay $99 for a Mac Dev account so you can bounce this error around the developer forums too. I love that place.

Of course none of this excuses the fact that you've been having the same error for three months now.

You do have a point. I've felt my bug reports to Apple went unnoticed. I filed reports for bugs I found in iOS 4.0, 4.0.1, (etc, etc). They seemed to simply go ignored.

I haven't submitted reports for Mac OS X yes. I guess I'm just spoiled by Windows and Linux. Any problem with Windows or Linux is usually fixed by hitting Google. Usually others have already experienced the same problem and got it fixed.
With Mac OS X problems (and we have a lot), I can Google for hours, and usually end up with no information. Everything from Server Admin tools to failures with NFS user homes.

I'll submit a bug report for the server tools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Small White Dragon posted:

...So how do I update the GM to final?

There is a download for 11c74 in the developer downloads section. It was updated today.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I thought all you needed was an Apple ID.
Same thing.

jeeves posted:

Reversion it, which will take it back to 10.7 or such. Then install the update. Most updates come with a second reversioner installer.
Or reinstall the combo update. Either solution works.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
To the person who mentioned KeePassX, how well does it work with an iPhone? There's about 3 apps and they all seem iffy.

EDIT: Yeah 1Password is definitely price gouging, but when other options have poor interfaces across multiple platforms, what are you going to do :(.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

wolffenstein posted:

Or reinstall the combo update. Either solution works.
Combo update isn't working on my GM seed system. I'll check the Dev Center and grab the latest reversioner.

Auriak
Aug 6, 2007

My backpack's got jets!
Okay, Just installed 10.7.2 and signed into my iCloud account. It told me if I enabled Contacts sync through iCloud, then it would have to disable syncing contacts in my Gmail account. I clicked accept or whatever (the only option it gave me at that point) then went back into System Preferences and disabled Contacts for iCloud, however it is no longer giving me a checkbox for Contacts under Gmail. What gives? Any idea how I go about getting my gmail contacts back?

Edit: Nevermind, I realize now that the option to enable contact syncing with Gmail is inside the Address Book preferences. The option was already reenabled when I disabled contacts in iCloud.

Auriak fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 12, 2011

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Any idea why my login items will start like 2 minutes after everything else like the dock and other os x stuff has finished starting? It's F.lux, sparrow and Bettertouchtool that are being delayed if it matters.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

echobucket posted:

While we are posting links, does anyone have a link directly to the iPhoto 9.2 update?

http://support.apple.com/downloads/DL1462/en_US/iPhoto9.2Update.dmg

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself

My PIN is 4826 posted:

Any idea why my login items will start like 2 minutes after everything else like the dock and other os x stuff has finished starting? It's F.lux, sparrow and Bettertouchtool that are being delayed if it matters.

I'm pretty sure that it's restoring saved application states in that time.

Txiuct
May 27, 2006

United States Federal Bureau of Investigation - "We don't give a shit, holmes."
Has anyone ever upgraded the processor on an early intel imac? Right now its rocking a core duo, but could I update it to something 64bit so I can run lion on it?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Txiuct posted:

Has anyone ever upgraded the processor on an early intel imac? Right now its rocking a core duo, but could I update it to something 64bit so I can run lion on it?

Theoretically yes.

Of course you run the risk of destroying it.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Txiuct posted:

While possible, it's a lot of money and time and effort to do. You're better off getting a newer Mac, used or new.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there a way to straight-up install Lion without Snow Leopard?

I have the Snow Leopard recovery discs and Lion on the App Store, but didn't know if there was a way to like burn the Lion installer or something. I've got the current-gen iMac and I don't believe it supports over-the-air installation like the MacBook Air?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there a way to straight-up install Lion without Snow Leopard?

I have the Snow Leopard recovery discs and Lion on the App Store, but didn't know if there was a way to like burn the Lion installer or something. I've got the current-gen iMac and I don't believe it supports over-the-air installation like the MacBook Air?
Read the OP.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
Am I missing something as far as accessing my files from iCloud on my Mac? Can I mount it like a drive or anything? I was able to create a file in Pages on my iPad, see it from the web interface and rename it there, but short of downloading/uploading through the web interface I don't see any way to put files into or access them out of iCloud on my Mac. (Either through Finder or through applications.)

I didn't see any updates yet for the iWork apps on the Mac either. It just seems kind of odd that they rolled all this stuff out but not really anything for the Mac yet and I wanted to check if that's the case or if I'm missing something.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
I'm guessing an iWork update will come out that includes iCloud support.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Yeah, I was staring at my computers for the past 15 minutes, trying to figure out how to synchronize my Pages documents between the two machines.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I'm not sure if this belongs here or in the iOS apps thread, but for some reason, the existing reminders on my MBP's iCal (upgraded to 10.7.2 already) aren't syncing to my iPhone and iCloud.com. Is this intended behavior?

curried lamb of God fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Oct 12, 2011

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
iCloud is probably getting hammered as gently caress right now, so give it some time.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I used to plug my iPhone in and import photos to iPhoto pretty regularly. With iOS 5, I'm never going to plug my phone into my iMac again, but now I'm realizing I have now way of importing stuff to iPhoto.

Any suggestions for me?
Will the iPhoto update help me at all?

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Anybody here work with Macs in a corporate, Windows environment? I've always used Macs at home and PCs at work, but they just bought me a Mac Pro to play with at the office because they're thinking about buying a bunch more for some of the marketing staff.

They likely won't be buying an OS X server, so what are my options for integrating these things into active directory, and locking them down a bit and whatnot? Googling gives me a ton of options, so I was hoping for some direction on what to look at first. We've got about 1500 PCs and probably won't have more than about 30 Macs, all Pros probably. Domain controllers are server 2003.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

surrender posted:

I'm not sure if this belongs here or in the iOS apps thread, but for some reason, the existing reminders on my MBP's iCal (upgraded to 10.7.2 already) aren't syncing to my iPhone and iCloud.com. Is this intended behavior?
By the looks of it (and I've only experimented for 2 minutes), they have to be in the right calendar to synch. If those reminders are in some local calendar, they won't go into iCloud (unless I've missed some setting — which is entirely possible — that mirrors entries across multiple calendars).

So with a bit of bad luck, you will basically have to migrate all of your entries rather than keep them where they are. Time poking around will tell.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
What happens if I migrate my MobileMe account to iCloud, but my Macbook still runs Snow Leopard? Do a bunch of iCloud services become unusable on my laptop?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I noticed you can create three iCloud @me.com aliases. Is that three PERIOD, or can you create more than three distinct aliases, as long as you only have three at any given point?

I don't want to waste a possible alias just to try it out :(

edit: ok I decided to try it out by creating martytoof@, then deleting it and it went down from 3 to 2 then back to 3 after I deleted it.

Auriak
Aug 6, 2007

My backpack's got jets!

dexter6 posted:

I used to plug my iPhone in and import photos to iPhoto pretty regularly. With iOS 5, I'm never going to plug my phone into my iMac again, but now I'm realizing I have now way of importing stuff to iPhoto.

Any suggestions for me?
Will the iPhoto update help me at all?

I'm pretty sure this is how it works:

Today's iPhoto update includes support for iCloud's Photo Stream. Any photos you take on your iOS devices should automatically be added to your Photo Stream. When you open up iPhoto on your iMac, there will be a Photo Stream option in the left column where you will be able to see your 1000 most recent images. Drag the ones you want into your various iPhoto albums and whatnot to save them permanently.

Edit: On second thought, it looks like iPhoto automatically stores every photo in Photo Stream permanently without you manually needing to archive them by dragging them into albums.

http://www.apple.com/icloud/features/photo-stream.html posted:

Master photo library. On your Mac or PC.
Keeping a complete set of your photos on your Mac is as simple as turning on Photo Stream in iPhoto or Aperture. Every new photo you take appears in a Photo Stream album just as it does on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. But since your Mac has more storage than your iOS device, it automatically imports every picture from your Photo Stream into your photo library so you can edit, delete, and share the ones you want. Want to get the photos you’ve taken on your point-and-shoot or DSLR camera into your Photo Stream to view on all your other devices? The photos you import to your library from a camera or SD card are automatically uploaded to your Photo Stream. If you have a PC, you can auto-import and upload pictures, too. Just turn on Photo Stream, grab a camera, and start shooting.

So just make sure you open up iPhoto from time to time so that it can automatically download the lastest Photo Stream photos.

Auriak fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Oct 13, 2011

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
Anybody got any solid information on AppleIDs/MobileMe/Email policy? Basically I've got 3 separate "emails" and I'd really like to consolidate all them onto one freaking account but Apple is extremely tight or backwards or something about changing them.

Basically I've got my main email address that I use everything for in life. I think I set up an AppleID using this email address back in the day when I got my first iPod. I probably have ownership over this AppleID but I haven't honestly checked in a while.

Next, I've got my main AppleID that all my purchases for the last ~4 years are under. This AppleID is using a alternate email address of mine (I don't really know why I didn't just use my main email from before, but that's how it's set up now). What I'd really just like more than anything in the world is for Apple to allow me to either tie together or rename or SOMETHING to this AppleID so that I can use my previous everywhere email address as my AppleID for THIS account with all my purchase history on it. I know you can change the emails that are associated with the account, but that doesn't really work because there's already another AppleID tied to that email address. PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD LET ME DO THIS.

And thirdly, I've also got a MobileMe account set up with an ENTIRELY different email address that's kind of out there on its own (Is there a way to connect your MobileMe account to a different AppleID?)

Seriously. The whole system is just one huge clusterfuck and I'd like more than anything in the world to just be able to consolidate everything onto one ID/Account. :(

EDIT: appleid.apple.com seems to be broken at the moment too. :(

EDITEDIT: Well I was able to crawl my way through the AppleID site and changed my main email AppleID to ANOTHER email address and then logged into my main purchase history AppleID and changed it to my main email address. So I think I've got that part of the problem under control at least. They really should just let you use a unique identifier as an AppleID instead of forcing them to be email addresses.

coldplay chiptunes fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Oct 13, 2011

Txiuct
May 27, 2006

United States Federal Bureau of Investigation - "We don't give a shit, holmes."
haha I just noticed that the icloud email uses the mobile me icon :)

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Is there any way I can sign up for one of these email addresses in Snow Leopard?

e: To clarify a bit more--I only want an @me.com address. I do not care about any of the other iCloud features at this time. I would imagine I could do this on the Internet somewhere but I don't see a way as of yet.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 13, 2011

NerdPolice
Jun 18, 2005

GINYU FORCE RULES
Holy hell my university internet is fast. I was at the library and did the software update. Took ~1 minutes to download ~1 GB. The install however took pretty long... probably >10 minutes after everything was said and done. I did worry that my computer would never turn back on at one point when the screen went black due to inactivity.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Humour me: Can you do a multiple install of MacOS on one disk on a real Mac? Like if you boot to your rescue partition, shrink your main OS partition by, say, 20gb, can you then run an install on that empty 20gb and have two separate versions of Lion installed?

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
I don't see why you wouldn't be able to, but I've never actually tried so myself. As far as the OS/Installer is concerned it's just an empty drive. It can't tell if it's a partition or not.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I didn't know if they locked that sort of functionality out on real Macs, letting you multiboot MacOS in essence. I'm not sure why they would (or why you would really want to, on a real mac I guess), I just didn't know if it was possible :)

edit: Might be useful for testing dev releases.

tikan
Apr 30, 2009
I assume I'm an idiot, or missing something. I have iCloud all set up and everything is grand except I can't send from my @me address on my Mac or my phone, just from the website? Also if I try sending to my @me address from my gmail, it fails every time. Why Steve :(

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I haven't bought Lion because I am afraid it will slow down my machine, like iOS 4 did to my old iPhone 3G.

I am running a 2.4ghz Core 2 Duo + 2GB RAM (it's the Unibody Macbook from before they started calling all the unibodies Macbook Pros).

What can I expect from Lion's performance?

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

tikan posted:

Why Steve :(

It's Tim now. :smith:

e: Also, I logged into iCloud on my phone with my main Apple ID, chose to transfer the synced contacts from my MobileMe account to it, then removed my MobileMe contacts from the phone. Now I can't get my contacts to sync back from either source. Hope it's just server problems, because I'm not going to be anywhere near my notebook anytime soon. :/

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 13, 2011

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I haven't bought Lion because I am afraid it will slow down my machine, like iOS 4 did to my old iPhone 3G.

I am running a 2.4ghz Core 2 Duo + 2GB RAM (it's the Unibody Macbook from before they started calling all the unibodies Macbook Pros).

I'm running Lion on a mid-2007 Mac mini with no noticeable slowdown compared to Snow Leopard, and that is with a 1.83 GHz Core 2 Duo.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

It should run slightly smoother than SL.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I have a 'bad' drive that I'm trying to get some data off and I'm in the middle on running some diagnostic tools on it.

However, whenever I boot into 10.7 I get a message about initializing the drive. I've been ignoring it out of concern that it will nuke the drive if I choose to.

What does it do?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Martytoof posted:

I didn't know if they locked that sort of functionality out on real Macs, letting you multiboot MacOS in essence. I'm not sure why they would (or why you would really want to, on a real mac I guess), I just didn't know if it was possible :)

edit: Might be useful for testing dev releases.
You can have as many Lion installs on separate partitions as you can fit. Though for dev testing, it's easier to install Lion in a VM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled
I'm trying to migrate from syncing with Google Calendar to syncing with iCloud. I backed up my iCal database, deleted the Google Calendar account, and added the iCloud one. So far so good.

Then I went followed these instructions for exporting a Google calendar to iCal. However, when I try to import the resulting .ics file into iCal, I get an "iCal can't read this calendar file" error.

Has anyone else done this before? How did you get it to work?

Edit: gently caress, I think Google may be generating a bad .ics file. I have lines like this in Console:

code:
20111012 7:52:05.489 PM iCal: Component boundaries mismatch (VALARM VEVENT)
20111012 7:52:05.529 PM iCal: Component boundaries mismatch (VEVENT VCALENDAR)
20111012 7:52:05.542 PM [0x0-0x8c08c].com.apple.iCal: line 12497,0: expecting "END", found 'EOF' as token type 1
20111012 7:53:07.257 PM mdworker: Component boundaries mismatch (VEVENT VCALENDAR)
20111012 7:53:07.265 PM com.apple.mdworker.pool.0: line 12497,0: expecting "END", found 'EOF' as token type 1
20111012 7:53:07.266 PM mdworker: iCal.mdimporter: could not parse ICS file: /Users/mrled/Downloads/basic.ics
20111012 7:53:14.874 PM mdworker: Component boundaries mismatch (VALARM VEVENT)
20111012 7:53:14.910 PM mdworker: Component boundaries mismatch (VEVENT VCALENDAR)
20111012 7:53:14.916 PM com.apple.mdworker.pool.0: line 12497,0: expecting "END", found 'EOF' as token type 1
20111012 7:53:14.917 PM mdworker: iCal.mdimporter: could not parse ICS file: /Users/mrled/Downloads/basic.ics
That is, both iCal and even mdworker (Spotlight) can't parse the file. Based on iCals error I tried just adding a line to the end of the file containing the text "END", but that didn't help. The file is over 12K lines long... trying to fix these errors manually would be pretty painful.

gently caress.

equation groupie fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Oct 13, 2011