Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

smug forum rear end in a top hat posted:

Anyone have an answer to this question? When I say single-purpose stoneplate rings I'm referring to the lightning, magic, and fire resist rings.

Speckled adds 25 points to each defense, the more specialized ones add 50 to their respective defense.

I think you'd be better off just swapping out flame, thunder and spell rings when needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Has anyone found out anything about how damage reduction in the game works? I've read theories that it's all flat reduction which would explain why hybrid weapons suck so much.

i.e.

Given 50 Phys defense/50 Magic defense

200 phys weapon:
200 damage - 50 defense = 150 damage done

vs

100/100 phys/magic weapon:
100 phys damage - 50 phys defense = 50 physical damage done
100 magic damage - 50 magic defense = 50 magical damage done

Total Damage: 100 damage done.

I mean it makes sense when you compare weapons but who knows how poo poo really works? It would also explain why some people are saying that lightning weapons are losing their lustre as you go higher up in SL in PVP.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
AGGGGGGHHHH what the gently caress is this thing that fell on me? :cry:

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
Are you in a sewer? That's a slime! Mash L1 and R1 and you should shake it off before it kills you, watch the ceilings for those.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
Can the black knights respawn?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Macksy posted:

Can the black knights respawn?
Nope. Better hope you get your drops.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Silver Knights do respawn though.

Malachite posted:

I was getting about 2 humanity per minute there once I got used to it and stopped missing out on drops. And thats with 00 humanity and only the ring.
Yeah it's great. I stopped at 60 humanity items. Pretty much set for phantom'ing any time I want now.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Rascyc posted:

Silver Knights do respawn though.

Yeah it's great. I stopped at 60 humanity items. Pretty much set for phantom'ing any time I want now.

I'll have to remember that spot!

Also no, the Ash Lake is mainly for the Dragon Covenant. But the music is awesome and it has a FLYING HYDRA! :black101:

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
The Depths were what took Dark Souls into "holy poo poo, this is the best game ever" territory for me. Attention game developers—this is how you make a loving sewer level. Filthy, oppressive, treacherous, and with the constant roar of water eroding your sanity.

The enemy designs are so wonderfully creepy throughout—I especially love that the slimes are almost exactly the classic D&D Black Pudding, but executed so well that they're terrifying. When before this has there ever been an intimidating slime enemy in a video game?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Eej posted:

Has anyone found out anything about how damage reduction in the game works? I've read theories that it's all flat reduction which would explain why hybrid weapons suck so much.

i.e.

Given 50 Phys defense/50 Magic defense

200 phys weapon:
200 damage - 50 defense = 150 damage done

vs

100/100 phys/magic weapon:
100 phys damage - 50 phys defense = 50 physical damage done
100 magic damage - 50 magic defense = 50 magical damage done

Total Damage: 100 damage done.

I mean it makes sense when you compare weapons but who knows how poo poo really works? It would also explain why some people are saying that lightning weapons are losing their lustre as you go higher up in SL in PVP.

Yes that's how it works, same as DeS.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Shumagorath posted:

Nope. Better hope you get your drops.

Black knights respawn in the final area of the game. You can farm all their items there.

Raibead
May 8, 2008
I'm starting to feel borderline relieved once I lose a big pot of souls. Just lost ~10k in Sen's (which is a bummer of a place), but now there's no pressure so it sorta makes me feel better. Also, are some things just really resistant to stab damage? My winged spear does jack poo poo on some guys and I'm not sure if its the weapon or the enemies. I can real conservative with it so its not awful, just slow at times.

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005

quote:

speckled ring info :words:

Thanks goons!

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Raibead posted:

I'm starting to feel borderline relieved once I lose a big pot of souls. Just lost ~10k in Sen's (which is a bummer of a place), but now there's no pressure so it sorta makes me feel better. Also, are some things just really resistant to stab damage? My winged spear does jack poo poo on some guys and I'm not sure if its the weapon or the enemies. I can real conservative with it so its not awful, just slow at times.

Some enenemies have really high physical defense in general, though it's not as bad a demons souls was where certain enemies were only vulnerable to one type of physical damage (between pierce, slash, and crush, 2-1 and 2-2 was pretty notorious about basically requiring a pierce or magic weapon.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

mistermojo posted:

So I just beat the Gaping Demon, Is he supposed to be this easy? I barely took any damage and it seems like his only attacks besides flying closer to you is pummeling his head down and then rushing forward. It seems impossible to die to this guy. Also, 50 str req axe :stare:

No, gaping dragon is piss easy. I am pretty bad at this game but that boss and one other you encounter later (iron golem) I killed on the first try while taking minimal damage. Each of them have a spot that none of their attacks will hit, you just have to stick to them like glue. The only thing gaping dragon does that you need to worry about is flying as he can land on you. I actually never beat him as a white phantom because he routinely killed my hosts by landing on them and I just got tired of waiting around to be summoned again.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Rollersnake posted:

The Depths were what took Dark Souls into "holy poo poo, this is the best game ever" territory for me. Attention game developers—this is how you make a loving sewer level. Filthy, oppressive, treacherous, and with the constant roar of water eroding your sanity.

The enemy designs are so wonderfully creepy throughout—I especially love that the slimes are almost exactly the classic D&D Black Pudding, but executed so well that they're terrifying. When before this has there ever been an intimidating slime enemy in a video game?

The Depths is the worst level ever. :( I'm scared every time I step through a door that I'll get slimeheaded.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Despite knowing what would happen if I fell, I still managed to blunder through a hole in the Depths. Against all the odds, I avoided being cursed. The first three frogs got the jump on me as I landed right on them but I desperately slashed away and killed them before rolling out of the fog in time. Being human definitely seemed to help me resist it long enough to escape. After that I creeped along and blasted any frog I saw with a bow before they could get close and finished them all off. Then I was invaded by Kirk the spiked guy but he was easily dispatched with a fire orb. I was a little disappointed that he dropped nothing but humanity though, I have bad luck with drops so far.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Can you get unlimited Rings of Sacrifice? The guy in the belltower wouldn't sell me more once I had ten, but I don't know if that was you-have-ten-of-these or you-can-only-buy-nine.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Then walk slowly and keep checking the ceiling. There are no ceiling slimes along the main path from burg to bonfire to boss that are concealed from view, you just have to keep looking up. If you see one you can shoot it off the ceiling with a bow and kill it normally.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
So I'm kind of terrified at the moment of going back into the Depths lest I be cursed again, so until I can afford to buy some of those anti-curse items (souls seem to be really hard to come by in this game compared to Demon's Souls, or is it just me?), so I am wondering if there are any other areas I can get to at this point that would be level appropriate for me (SL23).

Also, if I can bitch a bit, I was just summoned by the worst player ever. He summoned me to help with the Bell Gargoyles, and literally just sat back and expected me to do all the work. Despite me tanking the gargoyles the entire fight, he didn't try to attack even once, just kept running away as far as he could at all times, refused to heal me, and I finally died after getting one killed and the other to about 10% health. So the bastard probably finished them off and did absolutely nothing, and I get nothing in return.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

is the cursed artorias sword worth getting more than the holy one? I'm heading to new Londo next and If I can I'd like to avoid transient curses and the like.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Okay, I have a few questions real quick.

1) I'm trying to upgrade my axe to fire, but it seems the Parish blacksmith will only upgrade me to Raw or +6. The wikis right now are kind of incomplete about how to get fire upgrades unlocked, so what do I do?

2) I hear there's a unique axe for upgrading axes to +10 and then using a boss soul. Haven't gotten there yet, but should I decide to get it I think I'll want to pump another weapon for the fire upgrade. What's a good pick?

3) How many arrows does it take to kill the Bridge dragon? All I've got is a short bow and the minimum stats, but I keep hearing about this Drake Sword and want to try it out, but I'm unclear on how you get it exactly.

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

I swear I wrote something funny here.

doctor 7 posted:

Fully upgraded it does 120 phy / 120 mag damage along with C / C stat modifiers too. Plus it looks loving amazing which is the only reason to ever equip anything in this game. :colbert:

Does it get better looking when it's upgraded because it just looked like a longsword with a different hilt to me unupgraded?

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Palleon posted:

So I'm kind of terrified at the moment of going back into the Depths lest I be cursed again, so until I can afford to buy some of those anti-curse items (souls seem to be really hard to come by in this game compared to Demon's Souls, or is it just me?), so I am wondering if there are any other areas I can get to at this point that would be level appropriate for me (SL23).

Frogs have low HP and die easily to ranged attacks and pyromancy, so that's an option. Also you can get two curse removal items by trading a cracked red eye orb to the crow at undead asylum. Once you unlock the depths shortcut you don't have to go past the frogs again so just play it smart once through and you're done with them (in the depths anyway, they come back in other zones).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Volitaire posted:

Yes that's how it works, same as DeS.

I suppose it'd be best then to make one enchanted weapon with fire/lightning, then another purely physical weapon to get around higher resistances, right?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I'm in some weird corridor in the depths and there seems to be some kind of ooze sliming out of a sealed door. This is some scary lovecraft level poo poo :(

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Lotish posted:

Okay, I have a few questions real quick.

1) I'm trying to upgrade my axe to fire, but it seems the Parish blacksmith will only upgrade me to Raw or +6. The wikis right now are kind of incomplete about how to get fire upgrades unlocked, so what do I do?

Parish blacksmith can't upgrade your poo poo to fire, but the skeleton blacksmith in the catacombs can. You don't have to find an ember for it, he already has one.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

That's my thought. I'm hoping to find some Dragon Scales soon so I can start upgrading my axe for the massive physical damage.

Kiwillian
Mar 13, 2004

Poor Sheepy :(
If you put a sign down to help someone and they summon you and then you die, what happens? Do you lose your souls somehow? Given that when you win it just dumps you where you started, I just dunno.

Trying to farm up 20K for that key thingy and I figured helping people on garg or crapra might be the best. Gargoyle is pretty easy but I am not so sure about Capra and don't want to lose everything :(

edit: Can you use the Heal miracle while phantoming?

Hexempaler
Sep 13, 2010

I know what you're thinking.
Did he fire sixty-six shots or only sixty-five?
Question is, do I feel lucky?
Well, do ya, punk?
Killed a guy in the Darkmoon Forest and got Indicted for it. :allears: I can't wait.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

andrew smash posted:

Parish blacksmith can't upgrade your poo poo to fire, but the skeleton blacksmith in the catacombs can. You don't have to find an ember for it, he already has one.

fffffff.... Catacombs. :( I guess I'll give it a go.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Kiwillian posted:

If you put a sign down to help someone and they summon you and then you die, what happens? Do you lose your souls somehow? Given that when you win it just dumps you where you started, I just dunno.

Trying to farm up 20K for that key thingy and I figured helping people on garg or crapra might be the best. Gargoyle is pretty easy but I am not so sure about Capra and don't want to lose everything :(

If you die you respawn at your last bonfire but don't lose any souls.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Kiwillian posted:

No penalty for dying as a white phantom that i've ever seen. You respawn at the bonfire with your souls and humanity intact.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

SgtSteel91 posted:

I don't know for sure but I would guess that since the speckled stoneplate ring covers all elemental damage, if that is what I'm understanding, it's going to be less effective for a single element stoneplate ring. You trade overall resist for strong single resist.

The thing is you should really forget about resists in the game. I have a steelplate ring that raises my defense rating by something like 30%, I got hit by an undead knight's stab, took off two bars almost on the dot.

Took off the ring, got stabbed, took off two bars plus a tick.

There are pretty similar results between gold hemmed armor and heavy armors. Havel's armor is built to be totally ridiculous though but it doesn't really count due to requiring like 50 endurance, havel's ring and a ring of favor to be useful.

tl;dr: This is demon souls 2 and defense/resistance still has a negligible effect, dodge don't tank.

vvvv There are still occasional ghosts and sometimes they can deal pretty terrible amounts of damage, so you should grind for a solid amount of transient curses. For the most part they can be avoided.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 13, 2011

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Do I need to be cursed for the bottom half of new londo/the abyss?

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

I swear I wrote something funny here.

Kiwillian posted:

edit: Can you use the Heal miracle while phantoming?

Several other people beat me to the first question but you can use heal while phantoming.

Also the boss in the Depths which is pretty much right after Capra gives more then 10 times the number of souls garg and capra give (though he's also a lot tougher). So if you push on a bit the farming should be much faster.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Streaming live again: http://www.twitch.tv/evilgamer

Just passed Anor Londo, I guess real Dark Souls begins here

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Who enchants stuff with lightning?

Kiwillian
Mar 13, 2004

Poor Sheepy :(
Thanks Palleon and andrew. Can I heal with the miracle? (I edited that in).

I'm at Gargoyle at the mo but Capra might be better (both soul- and level-wise) but I don't think you can get the medal things from that, can you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Elysiume posted:

Who enchants stuff with lightning?

The Anor Londo blacksmith.

• Locked thread