Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

sniper4625 posted:

Vote closed!

Unofficial Results

106 - 92 - 25

A is the projected winner! :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
Diplomats for everyone! :neckbeard: Maybe we'll actually be able to rally enough allies to keep Russia from killing us.

And hey, we'll probably pick up Bill of Rights next time.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Thank you all that helped in the heroic last push for A. Azerbaijan will be the greatest country in the world.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
I'd just like to point out that I'd be happy with Bill of Rights eventually. It's a far better idea than those drat Tolerance ones. Cabinet's just more important.

MadPierrot
Nov 4, 2009

we are all dead men on leave
We've made a pragmatic decision that in no way excludes us from creating progressive policy in our future. Sometimes, however, it's necessary to put diplomatic and military affairs before domestic ones.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

Patter Song posted:

I'd just like to point out that I'd be happy with Bill of Rights eventually. It's a far better idea than those drat Tolerance ones. Cabinet's just more important.

Tolerance is actually pretty strong as a game mechanic, especially as a nation that requires Innovative.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Perhaps we can use our extra Diplomatic prowess to make friends with Russia again. That would be the best result, I think, instead of making allies and giving up Azeri's friendship with the Great Bear as a lost cause.

LordBaxter
Sep 7, 2009

I finally managed to make everybody like me, if only for one day

berryjon posted:

Perhaps we can use our extra Diplomatic prowess to make friends with Russia again. That would be the best result, I think, instead of making allies and giving up Azeri's friendship with the Great Bear as a lost cause.

They've got a mission to gently caress us up. The AI is likely to ignore our attempts at friendship, and the worst we can do is make them take stability hits for declaring war on us.

Zero grinder
Sep 25, 2010
Fun Shoe
Yeah the AI having a mission against you causes it to go into full jerk mode.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Wiz posted:

Guys, 2-3 diplomats a year is not a crippling handicap. More diplomats is nice, but it's not the end of the earth to just have a few diplomats.
Too late. You ruined Azerbaijan. I hope you're happy. :mad:

But seriously I'm actually totally cool with a cabinet. It is indeed a step towards a more bureaucratic less despotic government, and that's good too. It's not like a cabinet is intolerant or anything.

Didn't really feel like mentioning that during the vote though. It's great how close and exciting the vote was until Wiz influenced it at the last second with out of context figures.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

Zero grinder posted:

Yeah the AI having a mission against you causes it to go into full jerk mode.

Unless they don't stand a chance in hell of winning a war against you.

dereku
Oct 23, 2010

Open up your senses
I'm glad that the cabinet won too as it can keep the ideals of tolerance we've been preaching so far so yay for us and well... we might be able to pass the bill of rights at a later date

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Just so long as we do pass a bill of rights. I kind of suspect that it frequently isn't going to look like the absolute best option, but that we'll still really want to grab it at some point anyways.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Mark my words when these reforms lead to fascist jackboots marching down the streets of every Azerbaijani village you'll look back and realize that this somehow in some vague and convoluted way that can't be quantified could have been avoided with that -.50 inflation modifier :argh:

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

The Lord of Hats posted:

Just so long as we do pass a bill of rights. I kind of suspect that it frequently isn't going to look like the absolute best option, but that we'll still really want to grab it at some point anyways.

I can't speak for all the A voters, but I'm 100% in voting for a bill of rights, just at a more opportune and sensible time (probably in response to some degree of internal unrest).

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Viola the Mad posted:

Azerbaijan's place as a center of culture and and intellectual advancement, as well as its strong tradition of tolerance, has allowed new ideas and ideologies unthinkable elsewhere to flourish. In a country where different ethnicities and religions have peaceably lived side-by-side for decades, folks are more amenable to the idea that all people are created equal. These ideas have even spread to members of the noble classes, who are likely to be even more worldly than then their commoner counterparts. The occasional intolerant king has only driven home the point that it is necessary to preserve in law these God-given rights in order to protect them from the vagaries of misguided rulers.

Meanwhile, a new bourgeoisie has emerged from the trade center of Astrakhan that is increasingly dissatisfied with its lower status (they've also probably started to intermarry with the lower nobility as well). Switching to an administrative bureaucracy has also produced an extremely influential class likely drawn from the bourgeoisie without which the country cannot function. The introduction of the printing press has created a better-educated and better-informed populace that now has opinions on all sorts of new matters, including matters of state. Practically speaking, the integration of gunpowder into the army and the establishment of a professional army undoubtedly drawn from the ranks of the lower classes means that aristocratic grip on physical power is virtually non-existent. The lower classes are increasingly dissatisfied with their lower status, and attempts to reinstate eroded aristocratic privileges provoke wide popular backlash. People no longer find the idea of equality of classes (likely supported by the concept of equality of ethnicities/religion) to be so radical, and they want that equality to be enshrined in law. Most nobles are of course extremely unhappy with their loss of privilege, but the practical-minded at the Shura realize that rejecting the lower classes' demands for a bill of rights will cause widespread dissatisfaction, providing tinder for a mass rebellion. Besides, if they create a Bill of Rights now, they can also preserve their remaining privileges.

I should note here that I'm not changing my vote, but I am a history buff and I love these sorts of mental exercises.

But why are the lower classes suddenly so angry? Our country is perfectly stable and content right now. There is no urgency. It would make more sense if there are food riots or we just lost a war or if we're overtaxing the subjects or something, but I don't see the radicals showing up while people are still happy. Furthermore, the bourgeoisie have little or no reason to support the rights of the lower classes. If the ruling elite could get away with just ceding rights to the growing merchant class, then they would.

Note: I know that this is moot, but I feel like this is an interesting conversation regardless.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Snipee posted:

But why are the lower classes suddenly so angry? Our country is perfectly stable and content right now. There is no urgency. It would make more sense if there are food riots or we just lost a war or if we're overtaxing the subjects or something, but I don't see the radicals showing up while people are still happy. Furthermore, the bourgeoisie have little or no reason to support the rights of the lower classes. If the ruling elite could get away with just ceding rights to the growing merchant class, then they would.

Wiz posted:

I was talking about this on IRC, but the way I see Bill of Rights is basically a competent monarch codifying and organizing the enormous mess of local privileges would currently be the Azeri legal system.

This makes a great deal of sense in the context of the time, because at that time in history there were often parallel and sometimes overlapping legal codes and justice systems. This would especially be a problem for Azerbaijan, because it's a heterogeneous state that grants a large degree of autonomy and toleration to minority communities. In that sense the Bill of Rights NI would be less like the Magna Carta and more like a comprehensive legal reform a la Suleiman I Kanuni. The explanation for it wouldn't be that there was a pressing need for it, but just that our current Sultan, with his high administration and diplomacy scores, was the kind of man to do a job that needed doing.

Alternatively, when I asked Wiz about it on IRC, I suggested that perhaps the Bill of Rights would be motivated by fear of the coming struggle with Russia. Only a minority of the population is Shi'a, and with war against the world's preeminent Orthodox power, that could present a real problem. The bill of rights would be something like an official declaration from the Sultan guaranteeing certain civil rights to all his subjects in perpetuity, something Russia isn't giving them, even if they happen to practice the same religion.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
B had funny parallels to the historical Lithuanian-Polish commonwealth adopting a quite progressive constitution and then getting devoured by Russia (and Prussia and Austria)

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

If Russia hadn't been big or scary B or C would've been better. As it was though, the Russian threat puts international issues at the forefront of our decisions. And with our less militant sultan, well.

Sil
Jan 4, 2007

Somaen posted:

B had funny parallels to the historical Lithuanian-Polish commonwealth adopting a quite progressive constitution and then getting devoured by Russia (and Prussia and Austria)

That was about their decentralization of power. Which begs the question, to what degree should tolerance/rights NIs influence the centralization slider?

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

That was a good close vote.

The only thing I'm worried about now is that apparently what we say in thread will now have more influence...

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Snipee posted:

Note: I know that this is moot, but I feel like this is an interesting conversation regardless.

Worth pointing out, by the way, that last time we checked our sliders were still pretty heavily favoring aristocracy. The merchant class still doesn't have a whole lot of say at this point.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Pumroy posted:

Mark my words when these reforms lead to fascist jackboots marching down the streets of every Azerbaijani village you'll look back and realize that this somehow in some vague and convoluted way that can't be quantified could have been avoided with that -.50 inflation modifier :argh:

The inflation reduction is .05, not .50. However, we're setting the stage for Maximum Weimar. We're about to get rofflestomped by Russia, followed by hyperinflation from reparations, followed by revanchism over the lost Crimea, followed by Maximum Hitler. I just know it! :saddowns:

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

Drink Cheerwine posted:

The inflation reduction is .05, not .50. However, we're setting the stage for Maximum Weimar. We're about to get rofflestomped by Russia, followed by hyperinflation from reparations, followed by revanchism over the lost Crimea, followed by Maximum Hitler. I just know it! :saddowns:

We still have 400 years to go. Who knows where we will be by then.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Not what I hoped for, but indeed, Cabinet was likely a National Idea I would have voted for in another session anyway. It gets us away from absolute monarcy. We'll see what happens then.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Drink Cheerwine posted:

Fortunately, in EU3 it's impossible to pay more reparations than you have in your treasury at the time of the peace treaty. We may end up broke with nothing but two goats and half a cow in taxes, but we won't be in debt!

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Tomn posted:

Fortunately, in EU3 it's impossible to pay more reparations than you have in your treasury at the time of the peace treaty. We may end up broke with nothing but two goats and half a cow in taxes, but we won't be in debt!

Yeah, I know. I was just in histrionic mode. Anyways, what do our Georgian subjects need but a goat for a wife? Our Azeri subjects will get by just fine with a goat and half a cow for dinner.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
That's something that should probably change somehow. I would love it if I could demand enough money as to make my enemies take out loans to pay me back.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
The Official Hand Count is now beginning.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

sniper4625 posted:

The Official Hand Count is now beginning.

Since B didn't win due to obvious vote manipulation on the hands of the intolerant, your new nickname is Hanging Chad

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

A is the official winner!

A: Cabinet: 108 (Sniper4625, Veloxyll, Cardinal Ximenez, Patter Song, frankenfreak, Snipee, lonelywurm, Popy, Frionnel, AgentF, General Antares, Lawman 0, Hyord, Servant, Hafl, Talas, Proposition Joe, MadPierrot, Garenas, Rarity, Viscardus, Pakled, Epicurius, Broken Box, Hostile Rabbi, MrGreenShirt, TLM3101, LordBaxter, SolidPolonium, wukkar, heavensgardener, Jimmy4400nav, Canuck-Errant, WilliamAnderson, AJ_Impy, The Narrator, Raldan, TheGrandMystic, BlackJosh, Gregoriev, Undead Unicorn, K0npeito, The Saurus, reL, Smoky Bandana, Klingtron, Flavius Belisarius, Freudian, markus_cz, Octomon, Kainser, Jihad Joe, Terror storm, Captain Foo, Tomn, Kingolf, Veryslightlymad, Manic Mole, Arglebargle III, OddObserver, Nepalese Robot, doctor iono, Ironic Revolution, skipThings, Asehujiko, DarkCrawler, Crazy Joe Wilson, berryjon, Quixzlizx, ComradeCosmobot, Cernunnos, Slaan, Bobbin Threadbare, Robert_Deadford, Nerokerubina, Giovanni_Sinclair, Viola the Mad, Raserys, Beeswax, John Dough, EvanSchenck, Fraction Jackson, Magrov, i poo poo trains, Thug Lessons, PharmerBoy, Zore, Erakko, Ghost of Mussolini, guiguiBob, Dux Supremus, Tekopo, Erwin the German, Rogue0071, SkySteak, the JJ, Morrow, Bot 02, theDOWmustflow, SirPhoebos, ZearothK, seal it with a kiss, Kem Rixen, Brutus Salad, Kibibit, Zero grinder, Kavak, Doktor Per)

B: Bill of Rights: 93* (nimby, Kanthulhu, TheLoquid, Carbolic, Disproportionation, BklynBruzer, FadingChord, Terrifying Effigies, Shogeton, Ogianres, Conskill, Sandono, L-O-N, Archduke Frantz Fanon, thsgrn, Charlie72, logger, BulletHole, Whizbang, Aisar, paragon1, RZApublican, AtomikKrab, Cityinthesea, Ferroque, Necroskowitz, Giggily, Pimpmust, Dolash, GoatLord, benzine, rakovsky maybe, Coolodile, Rutkowski, Zudak, Verus, Eiba, meatbag, dereku, Xerophyte, Vaos, karmicknight, RabidWeasel, Salvador Dahlberg, Darth Windu, DagPenge, YF-23, sebzilla, Jeoh, Affi, V. Illych L., iLurk, yermato, Cowcatcher, Mikl, Dirt Worshipper, Alikchi, A sexy submarine, Hutter, Peel, Rejected Fate, Eumenides, Septic Arthritis, DTurtle, Cathulhu, ldragon, Archaeology Hat, Zikan, NGDBSS, Vander, Yohan, Sufficient, Beamed, biglads, BrainMeats, uPen, Ionnracht, Koesj, Slow Loris, i81icu812, Lamadar, RentACop, gemuse, Reatheran, Jeb Bush 2012, JohnCharitySpring, Solis, Herr Tog, Bozart, Leperflesh, Foxfire_, Servetus, TurningTrix, gowby*)

C: National Bank: 25 (aqu, Icecream Jones, Drink Cheerwine, theblastizard, DivineCoffeeBinge, Dr. Tough, ibntumart, rudatron, Retarded Goatee, steinrokkan, NihilCredo, Kuntz, KnoxZone, Munin, Ras Het, Mr. Pumroy, GrossMurpel, The 47 Regans, wiegieman, loquacius, ManifunkDestiny, linall, Civilized Fishbot, Pacho, HBar)

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 13, 2011

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

sniper4625 posted:

A is the official winner!

Hooray! As Azerbaijan's new Minister for Leisure I demand Wiz invade Quebec. Our people need a winter holiday resort :colbert:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Diplomats! :argh:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Affi posted:

That's something that should probably change somehow. I would love it if I could demand enough money as to make my enemies take out loans to pay me back.

You can sort of do this if you demand all their money at the beginning of the year. Since you'll claim all their census tax, they'll have to either take out loans or mint to cover all their expenses until the next January.

Of course, if you're at a point where you can demand all of their money, they probably don't much of an army left and may not have many expenses to pay, but at least you can cause them a little inflation.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Rarity posted:

Hooray! As Azerbaijan's new Minister for Leisure I demand Wiz invade Quebec. Our people need a winter holiday resort :colbert:

We already have some fine Winter holiday resorts. The Böyük Qafqaz Dağları are beautiful that time of year.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
As the Shura, I demand that Astrakhan only trade with Islamic Republics and Azeri Korea.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Hey! YOu didn't count my vote for B!! :(

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
As a member of the Shura, I demand that Wiz ignore all the terrible ideas that will come from the Shura.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
If we are all making unreasonable demands because A won, then as Chief Minister of the Cabinet, I demand that all Sultans delegate all future power to the Shura, or perhaps some representative body comprised of elected officials from the provinces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.
As a backwater minister of some province nobody cares about, I demand that all Sultans ignore the previous two commands.

• Locked thread