Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Ak Gara posted:

I like to think it's still daytime but it's so loving huge you've left the atmosphere!

Glad I'm not the only one that saw that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Christo posted:

Today as an experiment I tried to recreate my apartment in minecraft.

My apartment's walls aren't a meter thick.

Obviously, the solution is to treat each block as a centimeter and work in 100:1 scale.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

Baby Cakes posted:

If you thought the Minecraft tree griefing video was good, wait till griefers figure out how to forcibly spawn dragons.

Is this the one from the days of creative mode where some dude goes way out of his way to build a huge tree as a cover for piping in lava from way the gently caress away? Or is it something else entirely I haven't seen yet? Because if it is, I must request that it be shared, good sir.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Red_October_7000 posted:

Is this the one from the days of creative mode where some dude goes way out of his way to build a huge tree as a cover for piping in lava from way the gently caress away? Or is it something else entirely I haven't seen yet? Because if it is, I must request that it be shared, good sir.

It's this, and it's glorious. Not gonna spoil it though.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

So I found a LARGE ocean seed on SeedMiner.

I'm boating along into the ocean trying to find an isolated island, and I come across two 1x1 glass pillars reaching up into what appears to be the limit in the sky. They both go underwater and into the ground; I don't have any supplies so digging down underwater is pretty hard.

Is this just an oddity from map generating, or is it some strange feature the engine builds on purpose?

Howmuch
Apr 29, 2008

Joeslop posted:

So I found a LARGE ocean seed on SeedMiner.

I'm boating along into the ocean trying to find an isolated island, and I come across two 1x1 glass pillars reaching up into what appears to be the limit in the sky. They both go underwater and into the ground; I don't have any supplies so digging down underwater is pretty hard.

Is this just an oddity from map generating, or is it some strange feature the engine builds on purpose?

It's a marker for an underground stronghold.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Howmuch posted:

It's a marker for an underground stronghold.

...huh. I've been away too long.

Good thing I found a tiny (TINY) island nearby with a single large tree that I can harvest. Gonna pillage this Stronghold.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Joeslop posted:

...huh. I've been away too long.

It's a thing they forgot to take out before pushing 1.9pre3. Don't expect it to be in 1.9 final.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

It's this, and it's glorious. Not gonna spoil it though.

:suspense:
I am in awe. It's like that terraforming device from that one Star Trek movie!

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

Two new posts up in the Simple Redstone blog tonight: a very limited intro to latches/flip-flops, and a demo of a possible use for a latch circuit.

With errors, of course. At least I noticed them this time. :v:

The blog currently has exactly one hit from a google search, and it was for "redstone tutorial for non sperglords". I hope you were satisfied, whoever you are!

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Tweeted to Notch 10 hours ago:
"moons are phaseless"

Notch's prompt response:
"Uhm. I'll fix that. :/"

Half an hour ago Notch tweets:
"I'm making the moon and the sun round. I am very sorry."

I like to think he was working on that issue tirelessly for the last 9 hours and only just now hit upon the solution.

ExplodingSquid
Aug 11, 2008

Same team as the tree greifing guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKNGTsWCYmA&feature=related

They attack a guy who is trying to get people to give him money for his server and then make people attend his church.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Eiba posted:

"moons are phaseless"

Notch's prompt response:

I like to think he was working on that issue tirelessly for the last 9 hours and only just now hit upon the solution.

Considering the time in Sweden, he said he'd add phases to moons just before going to sleep and started working on it as soon as he woke up.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

He's just announced that he's changed it so that the sun will rise in the East and set in the West.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

MikeJF posted:

He's just announced that he's changed it so that the sun will rise in the East and set in the West.

It's kinda of like watching God create the Earth some days.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ExplodingSquid posted:

Same team as the tree greifing guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKNGTsWCYmA&feature=related

They attack a guy who is trying to get people to give him money for his server and then make people attend his church.
I wish more griefing was like this instead of people just burning down houses.

MikeJF posted:

Countdown until the spergmunity flips their poo poo over this.

"You changed where the moon and sun set/rise. POINTLESS.
You took away the one thing that made minecraft unique. WHY?"

SMP
May 5, 2009

bango skank posted:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comments/lamga/notch_via_twitter_sun_and_moon_will_soon_be_round/c2r4e66

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's not even fun trying to predict their reactions anymore when it's that easy. :smith:

ExplodingSquid
Aug 11, 2008

bango skank posted:

It's the greatest minecraft grief I've seen that's for sure.

bonermobile
Sep 20, 2010

Hahaha, the end when he walks out of spawn and the sky is filled with netherrack and lava is fantastic.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Team Avolition's griefing is actually entertaining, unlike most people's.

Edit:

WTF
WHY
AND HOW

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

So the seed Bagels n' cream cheese seems to have given me the minecraftian equivalent of Ireland. It's an island in the middle of a huge ocean covered in verdant fields of grass and no trees. Well, there's two trees, but they're on a tiny island a short distance away. There's also lots of sheep and a village.

HyperHopper
Aug 12, 2011

The Diggle Commandos need you! Are you brave enough to join the Diggle Commandos?

bango skank posted:

It's not even fun trying to predict their reactions anymore when it's that easy. :smith:

Well it should always be easy to predict what one out of a million stupid people might do.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

SirSamVimes posted:

Team Avolition's griefing is actually entertaining, unlike most people's.

Edit:

WTF
WHY
AND HOW

I very much enjoyed both of these videos, but for some reason they've got a huge sycophantic following that spams garbage like 'Team Avo Deserves ICECREAM' over and over on one of the servers I frequent like a good Redditor/4-Channer.

This server (a Reddit server, :( I know, ugh) was almost dumb enough to hand over admin controls to some joker from PlanetMinecraft who wanted to 'do a story on our server.' Time for me to migrate, I think. I know I should just comb the Private Server forum, but anyone know a good Goon server that's Survival/PVP and mostly meme/drama free?

Skizot
Oct 23, 2006
HOW I MINE FROSTBOLT?

Cervixalot posted:

anyone know a good Goon server that's Survival/PVP and mostly meme/drama free?

besides opening yourself up for server bait, all servers have SOMETHING going on.

though i suggest penislandia. we have three worlds, survival, creative and canvas. we have very little drama (if any) and mostly get along.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Skizot posted:

though i suggest penislandia. we have three worlds, survival, creative and canvas. we have very little drama (if any) and mostly get along.

We've got a world to accomodate everyone, really. A straight up survival map with neat town/settlement's, a canvas map for doing random poo poo and a regular ol' creative map with lots of themed areas. Give it a look :)

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Eiba posted:

"moons are phaseless"

Notch's prompt response:

I prefer thinking he sleep-tweeted and he's been dreaming that he is god.

kas
Sep 9, 2003
I am a snoot.

bango skank posted:

Countdown until the spergmunity flips their poo poo over this.

"You changed where the moon and sun set/rise. POINTLESS.

The best part about this is, unless he changes something last minute, the new animated moon graphic is the exact same size as the old one, just repeated 8 times, so it would take a couple minutes tops to cut and paste the old graphic over them and have the old moon with the original non-changing phases.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

So I have been wondering if it's possible to go into the resources folder and paste in a bunch of music from my computer so that will play instead of the stock songs. I am guessing not, but I thought people here would have a better idea.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Gardias posted:

I cannot unsee the crashed AT-AT from The Empire Strikes Back before I open the full-size image.

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift
Imagine a god game like Black And White or something like that, where every action you take as God leads to all the populace sperging out like the minecraft forums.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
That's the game Notch is playing.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

kas posted:

The best part about this is, unless he changes something last minute, the new animated moon graphic is the exact same size as the old one, just repeated 8 times, so it would take a couple minutes tops to cut and paste the old graphic over them and have the old moon with the original non-changing phases.

Wait, is there a pic of the new graphic out yet? Would like to see what it looks like. I will admit I'm a little sad to see the old square moon and sun go away, but moon phases sound cool. And this opens the door for events based on lunar cycles. Maybe wolves will be more prevalent and howl on full moons, or a tough werewolf mob spawns during them, or it's darker and monster spawn more during new moons. Just a few possibilities.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

glitchwraith posted:

Wait, is there a pic of the new graphic out yet? Would like to see what it looks like. I will admit I'm a little sad to see the old square moon and sun go away, but moon phases sound cool. And this opens the door for events based on lunar cycles. Maybe wolves will be more prevalent and howl on full moons, or a tough werewolf mob spawns during them, or it's darker and monster spawn more during new moons. Just a few possibilities.

Also 1.9pre4 is out

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

nippon nifties posted:

Also 1.9pre4 is out

Now it's time to build a mod that ties nether portals to phases of the moon and replicates Ultima. WOO.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I guess I don't get the problem that people have with the round sun/moon - can't you just change them to whatever you want with a texture pack? I use the three creeper moon from Painterly, there must be dozens of different designs you can put in with mod packs.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Polka_Rapper posted:

I cannot unsee the crashed AT-AT from The Empire Strikes Back before I open the full-size image.

I really thought that was what it was supposed to be as well, hah.

What's new in 1.9pre4?

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift

krushgroove posted:

I guess I don't get the problem that people have with the round sun/moon - can't you just change them to whatever you want with a texture pack? I use the three creeper moon from Painterly, there must be dozens of different designs you can put in with mod packs.

Exactly. And to a rational human, what you've effectively got now is better than what you had before - a moon that cycles through a bunch of different moon graphics over time. So if you wanted to you could have Round Full Moon season, Square Moon Season, Three Creeper Moon season and so on. But, y'know. minecraftcommunity.txt

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
Not that it's really a huge deal, but he could totally have found a way to keep the square moon and just taken diagonal slices out of it or something. Oh well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Hexadecimal Gnome posted:

Since he's in the US currently, I'll confirm it for you - they can be alarming daft sometimes (oh god the Portal 2).

After seeing videos of someone playing L.A. Noire, I don't know if Lewis and Simon are daft or if it's just standard for the area they live in.

But then I don't think that the three of you are separate persons. You all have identical accents and use the exact same manners of speech, even down to the "oh, gently caress <snort>" thing. There is no way in hell that you could be real.

I regret to reveal it this way, but you... you are a computer simulation. Probably a UT2004 bot, judging by how you guys play games. But brighten up, it's better than Minecraft AI! :awesomelon: