Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Tamagod Sushi posted:

She's also all fog ringed/ghostly so how would you hit her? You can't really lock on so do you just wait to Parry, or run around her hoping for a Backstab?

Well, that's why I ended up kicking her off the cliff instead of hitting her normally. You can just swing in the direction of fogged enemies, though.

darkhand posted:

By "next guy" do you mean the shoddy loving waterwheel? Cuz gently caress that thing, killed me more times than any boss.

No, I mean poo poo-rear end Lava Kraken who doesn't aggro until I steal mommy's clothes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

GaistHeidegger posted:

Domnhall the merchant will sell you boss armor when you've beaten a boss, but in the case of O&S he will only sell the armor of whichever of the two you killed last. You initially find him in the depths, but he relocates to chill out under the aqueduct to undead burg--requiring a jump from the nearby ledge to reach. You'll want to pack about 25 - 30,000 souls per boss armor set you want to buy.

In NG+ he also sells the final boss armour for 20k per piece (it's crap).

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
So, people that are near-endgame or have beaten the game, what level were you at, and what was your stat distribution? I'm l. 36 and am considering starting to put some Souls into Faith or Intelligence (I perma-screwed myself out of Pyromancy by accidentally killing the guy in the Depths, so if I do any magic at all it has to be Sorcery or Miracles), but I don't know if this will actually work out for me.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Something I'd like to see is one big giant map of the entire Dark Souls game world. Not so I can pinpoint items and bosses and junk, but just so I can see how the different zones interlink. The maps in the guide are good, mind, but that's a lot of page turning to find the routes.

When I was a kid I had something like this for Super Metroid and it made my spatially-inept self feel so much better about exploring, even if it is a bit cheaty v:shobon:v

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Rollersnake posted:

So, people that are near-endgame or have beaten the game, what level were you at, and what was your stat distribution? I'm l. 36 and am considering starting to put some Souls into Faith or Intelligence (I perma-screwed myself out of Pyromancy by accidentally killing the guy in the Depths), but I don't know if this will actually work out for me.

I was about level 65-70 I guess, 30-35 in str, end, vit and 20 faith.

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Tamagod Sushi posted:

She's also all fog ringed/ghostly so how would you hit her? You can't really lock on so do you just wait to Parry, or run around her hoping for a Backstab?

Who needs to lock on when you just go in swinging a great sword and kill her in one attack chain? :smug:

bog savant
Mar 15, 2008

unending immaturity
Where do I go to upgrade my pyromancy flame? Dude at Firelink left, just wanna get one good fire spell going for ranged.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Tamagod Sushi posted:

I was swinging blindly at her, but she kept dodging and then she'd shoot me.
Even though I know her bow isn't that good, I still really want it. I'm mad :qq:

smuh posted:

Yeah, if I remember correctly you never need to got through them. There are quicker and safer ways to get to both bosses than that route, now I might be wrong but the ladder to hydra MIGHT be right before the cat zone? I could be completely wrong though so don't blame me if you die looking for it :)

E: Oh wait I just realised I don't even know which way you're going through the forest. IF it's through the 20 000 soul door then my info about the ladder could be correct, maybe, possibly.
You can get to the hydra without fighting the cats. On the other hand, he attacked me when I was on the ladder and I died. The gently caress?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Ledneh posted:

Something I'd like to see is one big giant map of the entire Dark Souls game world. Not so I can pinpoint items and bosses and junk, but just so I can see how the different zones interlink. The maps in the guide are good, mind, but that's a lot of page turning to find the routes.
This is just about the closest thing to what you are asking for, as far as I am aware.
http://i.imgur.com/nto18.jpg

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
S&O was actually really easy. Here's how I did it!

First of all, equip the Eagle Shield. It has a ton of lightning resist which you will need despite which one you kill first. I have a +12 Pyro Hand which I equipped in my right slot. I chose to put Quelaag's Fury Sword (+3) in my left slot. As I knew what would happen if I offed Smough first, I used my Pyro Hand to roast Ornstein several times. I've found that a lot of the Dark Souls bosses really don't like Fire Orb smashing their faces!

When he's dead, Smough will go all :ssj: and now have a slightly different attack pattern. The Eagle Shield can block his attacks pretty solidly as long as you keep strafing and backing up when he swings down. The only attack you need to be careful of is his electric butt stomp. You'll lose lock on him and then a huge wave of spark will probably hit you. What I did was keep my shield up and face him; I did lose half or so of my health bar but you will (should) survive it.

Just hit him a couple more times and he's done. I love this game. :3:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Filthy Monkey posted:

This is just about the closest thing to what you are asking for, as far as I am aware.
http://i.imgur.com/nto18.jpg

God bless you and god bless the Internet! This is exactly what I wanted.

I feel 100 times better about playing with this in my grasp. :D

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Dragon Covenant is amazing and I'm glad I did all that. Now I just need to figure out how to get out of here. The branches seem to stop half way up.

How do I get back to Blighttown from Ash Lake?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 13, 2011

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So one of the main things I'm lamenting about in this game compared to dark souls is the lack of a crushing/tearing weapon enhancements to make basic weapons scale better to str/dex. The dex weapon doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me because there are several good fast weapons that scale to a b rating in dex by default. If you want a str weapon that scales to a b or a to str, you are looking at two things: insanely heavy and insanely slow. My str character is using a demon greataxe +13 at the moment and I just feel very vulnerable while using it, granted if I connect it really hurts , but I feel like I would just be more effective in general if I could just up a standard battle axe to A scaling in strength. Hell with the greataxe it doesn't have a knockdown with its first r2 attack, so I've been considering replacing it with the great machete or hammer so I can at least do a knockdown on demand.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 13, 2011

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

evilalien posted:

For twinkling titanite beat Seathe, use the bonfire where he died, murder some clams. Dunno if I would call it reliable.

It's clammin' time!
\
:backtowork:

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Elysiume posted:

I was swinging blindly at her, but she kept dodging and then she'd shoot me.
Even though I know her bow isn't that good, I still really want it. I'm mad :qq:
You can get to the hydra without fighting the cats. On the other hand, he attacked me when I was on the ladder and I died. The gently caress?

You can climb up the ladder and reach without taking a single hit you just have to wait for the hydra to shoot and immediately dodge and climb up the ladder. This will put you on a bridge right in between the Locked door that you need the 20,000 souls to unlock and the final area before the wolf boss (with the catbears). Also something else I didn't know until recently about the hydra area. If you follow the water all the way back into this cave area there should be a golem that you can kill which will release a NPC that can teach you some sorcery/miracle (I don't remember which). If you don't see the golem you might have to leave the area and come back after killing the hydra.

Hy_C fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 13, 2011

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Volvagia posted:

Where do I go to upgrade my pyromancy flame? Dude at Firelink left, just wanna get one good fire spell going for ranged.

Sadly, you now have to go to the pyro trainer in the swamp for all your pyro needs.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Elysiume posted:

Oh, right, I didn't remember he could do that. It's probably way better to go to fight him from the route that's closest to the Parish blacksmith, though. There are the crystal guys trying to kill you there of course but at least you'll have room to dodge the hydra's attacks.

Tainted Ham
Apr 19, 2009
Within five minutes of joining the Forest Covenant an NPC hunter suicide dives off a cliff and I have to grind 75k souls for Absolution. That was a kettle of dicks.

I'm back in now and tooling about waiting for a forest invasion. An hour of waiting and sill no summons. What kind of experiences are the rest of you having with this?

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!

smuh posted:

Oh, right, I didn't remember he could do that. It's probably way better to go to fight him from the route that's closest to the Parish blacksmith, though. There are the crystal guys trying to kill you there of course but at least you'll have room to dodge the hydra's attacks.

the hydra can kill those too

Sostratos
Jun 28, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

The Dragon Covenant is amazing and I'm glad I did all that. Now I just need to figure out how to get out of here. The branches seem to stop half way up.

How do I get back to Blighttown from Ash Lake?

When you go back into the Great Hollow, if you look at the walls very carefully you'll find a couple of tiers of ladders taking you back up to the branch section.

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Zebrasectomy posted:

Within five minutes of joining the Forest Covenant an NPC hunter suicide dives off a cliff and I have to grind 75k souls for Absolution. That was a kettle of dicks.

I'm back in now and tooling about waiting for a forest invasion. An hour of waiting and sill no summons. What kind of experiences are the rest of you having with this?

Are you playing on the Xbox? The online community is a lot smaller than the PS3 one, it feels like a ghost town.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Zebrasectomy posted:

Depends mostly on the time of day, your soul level, and at this point everyone knows the Forest / Twilight Anor Londo gimmicks and will only go there in human form if they're looking for a brawl. Best to invade people if you want to pvp.

edit: to follow on the observation about the forest / twilight anor londo, most people you meet there will be abusing the overpowered stuff like the Fog Ring, Wrath of God and the slow spell. You might even see some people use the pivot casting invincibility glitch. It's probably not going to be very fun to pvp in those areas.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Heavy neutrino posted:

Sadly, you now have to go to the pyro trainer in the swamp for all your pyro needs.

You can also upgrade your flame at the merchant for the Chaos Servants.

Also thanks to an invader I got ahold of Grant. Pretty cool find.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sostratos posted:

When you go back into the Great Hollow, if you look at the walls very carefully you'll find a couple of tiers of ladders taking you back up to the branch section.

Thanks. Those are well hidden!

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Zebrasectomy posted:

Don't bother waiting, you don't need to be in the area for the ring to summon you for an invasion, just carry on playing.

Tainted Ham
Apr 19, 2009

Hy_C posted:

Are you playing on the Xbox? The online community is a lot smaller than the PS3 one, it feels like a ghost town.

Yeah. That's a shame. I was playing in the morning though, maybe there will be more people playing late night.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Drox posted:

Also I totally hosed up Quelaag and then got wasted by the next dude. :negative: I think the one actual complaint I have about the game and not stuff like camera weirdness is that some fog doors are just marking "here's a new spot" and you can immediately backtrack. Some fog doors are marking "here's a boss" and you're trapped. Can't tell which is which until your stain is locked behind one. Sacrifice ring run time!

Spells and items that warp you to your bonfire still work inside boss rooms. Don't want to engage the boss? Teleport away!

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Anyone know the best way to get egged? I need to get those pyromancies from the eggsack guy.

freeb0rn
Jan 22, 2005

OmegaZultan posted:

Anyone know the best way to get egged? I need to get those pyromancies from the eggsack guy.

Right after the ceaseless discharge there are egg guys that aggro you without you hitting them.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

freeb0rn posted:

Right after the ceaseless discharge there are egg guys that aggro you without you hitting them.
Right after Queelag, you mean :) I think only two of them are moving around and attacking, though.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Healbot posted:

You can also upgrade your flame at the merchant for the Chaos Servants.

Also thanks to an invader I got ahold of Grant. Pretty cool find.

Where were you when you got that invasion, I want one of those.

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

This game is like a black metal Zelda.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

I'm pretty sure the 360 community is kind of dull because everyone is playing in hollow form.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

DeathSandwich posted:

Where were you when you got that invasion, I want one of those.
I was in the tunnels before the room with the pinwheels and the baby skeletons when he invaded.

freeb0rn
Jan 22, 2005

freeb0rn posted:

Well, kinda, yeah. There's the bonfire and 4 or so that just chill out then when you go down the ridge there's 2 that aggro.

Orcrez
Apr 11, 2009

The.GreyWolf posted:

I'm pretty sure the 360 community is kind of dull because everyone is playing in hollow form.

I am because i cant seem to find humanity. i die to quickly! :hist101:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
^^: Assist some people; I've gotten 20 or so from assisting.

The.GreyWolf posted:

Honestly, it's better being dead. You can't be invaded and you can recover 100% of your liquid humanity when you die, while humans lose the one that made them human. I personally stay human all of the time, because I want to foster the community.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Orcrez posted:

I am because i cant seem to find humanity. i die to quickly! :hist101:

I'm dying less often but I'm going back into the catacombs. I hope my divine Iatio was worth it.

Tainted Ham
Apr 19, 2009

Heavy neutrino posted:

Depends mostly on the time of day, your soul level, and at this point everyone knows the Forest / Twilight Anor Londo gimmicks and will only go there in human form if they're looking for a brawl. Best to invade people if you want to pvp.

edit: to follow on the observation about the forest / twilight anor londo, most people you meet there will be abusing the overpowered stuff like the Fog Ring, Wrath of God and the slow spell. You might even see some people use the pivot casting invincibility glitch. It's probably not going to be very fun to pvp in those areas.

poo poo.
Well, I guess I'll hold out till I find a better covenant to join. I really wanted that ring that makes you transparent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Stone giants are refreshingly easy after dying to catballs and the hydra. They're so slow it's crazy.

Is +40 poise a lot? I just got the Wolf Ring and I'm not sure if that's good or not.

• Locked thread