Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Elysiume posted:

Wait. Where should I be coming from? I'm above that ladder and want to get down; apparently there's a longbow somewhere around here. I also kind of want to fight the hydra.

If you're coming to fight the hydra I would suggest coming down the tower with Havel so you can use the rock to the right to hide behind to block the ranged attack . If I remember correctly there should be a body with loot near the bridge but I don't remember if the longbow is on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Does anyone know off hand what spell(s) Pyromancers start with?

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

Vatek posted:

This has a sister English site (http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/) that is much better than that poo poo one on wikidot. No need to translate the Japanese version.

Yes, that was one of my links. The english one is not as complete as the japanese one. Look at it.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Crowbear posted:

Pretty sure it's just for selling.

Coins are just for feeding to the primordial serpent(he calls himself that), copper go for 1k, silver 3k, gold 5k I think, maybe gold was more.. I think a copper coin can be traded with the crow?

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
So I'm running up against either the Catacombs or Sen's Fortress now, but I'm getting the feeling I should have something better than the Drake Sword I've been swinging around since I got enough strength to one-hand it. Any suggestions, or should I stick with what's been working for me so long?

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Ledneh posted:

Does anyone know off hand what spell(s) Pyromancers start with?

Only fireball.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ovaltine Jenkins posted:

Only fireball.

Booourns, my current character already has that.

Thinking of starting over anyway because gently caress CURSE I CAN'T GET RID OF THIS STUPID CURSE ARGH

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!

sentrygun posted:

So I'm running up against either the Catacombs or Sen's Fortress now, but I'm getting the feeling I should have something better than the Drake Sword I've been swinging around since I got enough strength to one-hand it. Any suggestions, or should I stick with what's been working for me so long?

Worked for me. I would advice against upgrading it though.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

KozmoNaut posted:

The tips mostly suck rear end.

I get like a million tips telling me stuff like "blacksmith near" and "watch out for dragon" and poo poo like that.

NO loving poo poo, SHERLOCK!
I've had so many great tips in my game on the PS3. A lot of the "Fall Here"s are pretty accurate - I just test them first with a prism stone (these things are great).

Half the time when I am not sure where to go, there's a "Here!" pointing out a hard to see route (helped me out in the Tomb for sure).

And when I was doing Crystal Caverns, there were signs everywhere helping out with the invisible walkways. Illusory walls are usually marked too by players.

Sure there are a lot of useless ones, but there's been quite a few useful ones too.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

GaistHeidegger posted:

If I'm trying to locate all of the covenants in one playthrough, I have a question for the Darkwraiths: If I have already attained the lordvessel but have not talked to Framp at all--so it's still in my possession--and now proceed to defeat the four kings early, do I -have- to place the lordvessel where Framp's evil twin wants it -before- he offers for me to join the covenant (i.e. far enough to pop a trophy/achievement) or must I place it to even be given the option? I don't even want to join, I just want to get the trophy.

In my experience, yes. Until you place the Lordvessel, all he'll do is repeatedly tell you to place the Lordvessel come on he doesn't have all day. I don't think it's possible to even get the Darkwraith trophy without "siding" with Kaathe first.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

BattleHamster posted:

I believe you can actually get it to +6. Kill 3 firekeepers, and then the 3 you find as well.

Fair enough, we're talking about the same thing but I've only found three firekeepers so far. So there's a fourth? Or can I do it at the lordvessel or something?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

A question about the Lordvessel and the ability it grants:

Do you lose the ability to warp between bonfires once you place it at the altar?

Hexempaler
Sep 13, 2010

I know what you're thinking.
Did he fire sixty-six shots or only sixty-five?
Question is, do I feel lucky?
Well, do ya, punk?

Healbot posted:

I'd go as far as saying they're impossible without the Iron Ring.
I beat two of them without it. When I walked into the long hall area where the last two are my first thought was "haha no gently caress that."

Is that ring in Blighttown? I should probably go back there...eventually.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

tolaziforname posted:

I don't understand how someone can not 100% an area, I always clear the whole area, all enemies, all doors, all items, before resting at a bonfire. If I don't I feel like some black knight will come backstab me :ohdear:

It's because I beat Sen's on my third try without finding the bonfire. I just kept going, looking for one before I could backtrack, and before I knew it I was at the boss and killed him on my first try, so BOOM stuck in Anor Londo before I could even think about going back to clear it. How's that for manning up? :smugdog:

Valkrye
Aug 11, 2008

Ledneh posted:

Do you lose the ability to warp between bonfires once you place it at the altar?

You do not.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Ledneh posted:

No you retain the ability for the rest of the playthrough.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Ledneh posted:

No. You do lose out on getting into one covenant though.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Spiffo posted:

Fair enough, we're talking about the same thing but I've only found three firekeepers so far. So there's a fourth? Or can I do it at the lordvessel or something?

The firekeepers I know of are:

1) The girl behind bars in Firelink. You'll get her soul (back) when you kill Lautrec, and you can choose to use it to reinforce your flask or to resurrect her, which re-lights the Firelink bonfire.

2) The woman in armor at the first bonfire of Anor Londo. Killing her breaks the Darkmoon covenant, I think.

3) I haven't killed him to check, but I think the guy on top of the church in New Londo is one.

The three found souls are:

1) Church in the Undead Parish. Can't miss it.

2) I've heard this one is somewhere in Blight Town, but I haven't found it myself.

3) New Londo. Go right after the first set of ghosts and walk on a thin walkway to get it.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Hexempaler posted:

I beat two of them without it. When I walked into the long hall area where the last two are my first thought was "haha no gently caress that."

Is that ring in Blighttown? I should probably go back there...eventually.

It's from going back to the asylum, you need the key from the roof of the priest/potted room in Firelink
You can get to the bottom of Sens really easily by jumping down at the end of the first room. You'll see 3 of the snake/lizard casters, you can lunge kill one then kill the other 2 then drop down again.

Sens is probably one of the easiest dungeons in the game imo. You only really need to kill like less than 10 creatures total. The last area is retarded easy. The game makes up for it though in the next area. :shepface:

darkhand fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 13, 2011

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah! Got uncursed, then my bro the white phantom and Lautrec helped me beat the Gaping Dragon. That's one easy rear end boss. First time I've ever seen it, I don't think either of us humans got touched. Lautrec died, though. He's no Solaire.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Heavy neutrino posted:

3) I haven't killed him to check, but I think the guy on top of the church in New Londo is one.

I'm pretty sure the third isn't him, but the Chaos spider lady who lets you into the Servant of Chaos covenant.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Cool, thanks folks.

Also, curse argh argh argh. I'm so tempted to just start over so I never have to deal with this horseshit since I know what to do about basilisks now. :mad:

Amdis
Jan 9, 2007

I can't be the only one disappointed by how low the damage on elemental weapons seems to be. I got the lightning spear from sen's, do mobs just all have really high elemental resistances? Also gently caress this part in Anor Londo with the two archers, I knew I should've bought fireball or something. I don't think I can get back to Firelink without finishing this place can I? :(

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Amdis posted:

I can't be the only one disappointed by how low the damage on elemental weapons seems to be.

:stare:

I think you are. Elemental weapons are super overpowered the way they are right now. My lightning spear +5 absolutely shreds enemies.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Amdis posted:

I can't be the only one disappointed by how low the damage on elemental weapons seems to be. I got the lightning spear from sen's, do mobs just all have really high elemental resistances? Also gently caress this part in Anor Londo with the two archers, I knew I should've bought fireball or something. I don't think I can get back to Firelink without finishing this place can I? :(

I think a lot of stuff in Anor has resistance to lightning. I didn't get the lightning spear:ughh:. You can get back by going back up the stairs past the bonfire where you started from. Just talk to the gargoyle sitting there.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
The other Chaos Witch is also a firekeeper, but she's hidden behind a fake wall.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Amdis posted:

You can leave Anor anytime, just go back to where you entered and talk to the gargoyle NPC.

What is causing people such trouble with those archers? Shields block their arrows, they can't hit you if you're running up the buttress, and the only one you have to kill practically suicides himself when you get into melee range.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
Ahahahahaha so the infinite souls thing, it turns out it works on other, damaging things. Carpet Black Firebombs anyone?

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

YorexTheMad posted:

You can leave Anor anytime, just go back to where you entered and talk to the gargoyle NPC.

What is causing people such trouble with those archers? Shields block their arrows, they can't hit you if you're running up the buttress, and the only one you have to kill practically suicides himself when you get into melee range.

I think you probably have a lot of poise or something because even blocking the javelins will stun me or send me flying backwards. They CAN hit you while walking the buttress in my experience.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Where's Shiva? I've ranked up in the forest hunter covenant a bit and Alvina told me about him, and not to trust him or his buddy, but I don't see him anywhere around the forest. Come to think of it, the other guy that was out there before isn't there anymore either. And do you really have to break the covenant and kill his pal to get the acrobatics ring? Because I kind of want it, but don't know if I want the consequences.

In related news, do you lose all progress in a given covenant if you move to a different one, even if you come back to it later? Because I know that the dragon head stone's firepower supposedly gets boosted based on your rank in the covenant and it would kind of suck to blow all the scales to get the body stone and then not retain your super-fire.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Heavy neutrino posted:

The three found souls are:

1) Church in the Undead Parish. Can't miss it.

2) I've heard this one is somewhere in Blight Town, but I haven't found it myself.

3) New Londo. Go right after the first set of ghosts and walk on a thin walkway to get it.

There is also one in the Duke's Archives.

Cicadas! posted:

Where's Shiva? I've ranked up in the forest hunter covenant a bit and Alvina told me about him, and not to trust him or his buddy, but I don't see him anywhere around the forest. Come to think of it, the other guy that was out there before isn't there anymore either. And do you really have to break the covenant and kill his pal to get the acrobatics ring? Because I kind of want it, but don't know if I want the consequences.

In related news, do you lose all progress in a given covenant if you move to a different one, even if you come back to it later? Because I know that the dragon head stone's firepower supposedly gets boosted based on your rank in the covenant and it would kind of suck to blow all the scales to get the body stone and then not retain your super-fire.

He should be right outside the front entrance to Alvina's building with the rest of the humans. He is the only one that actually says anything to you. If he isn't there, then you may have triggered his move to Blighttown.

Yes you lose all covenant progress if you switch away and come back.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

Is the wiki correct, does the balder side sword give a 20% bonus to souls from kills? Because gently caress it, i just decided what my main weapon is going to be, if its true.

Amdis
Jan 9, 2007

That might be it, I was destroying the snake dudes in Sen's with the spear but I've only had a bit of issue with the guys in Anor. Right now I'm working my way through the painted world, a zone I randomly found out existed by looking at the painting.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Cicadas! posted:

1) They're in Blightown, on ground level near the ramp to the water wheel.

2) I can't say for certain as I haven't messed around with leveling Covenants too much, but I've heard that leaving a Covenant either reduces your effective turnins to half (e.g. you'd turned in 10 [items] then leave, rejoin and they treat you as if you'd turned in 5 [items]) or it reduces your Covenant level by one.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Cicadas! posted:

He's in Blighttown. Take the water wheel from Valley of Dragons and hes at the bottom of the ramp, by the swamp. Yes you'll break the covenant if you attack them. Alvina will tell you to gently caress off and you won't be able to rejoin.

The guide says that when you leave a covenant you lose one rank. If you want to build up rank make sure its in the covenant you want to stay in.

E: Spoiler I guess. Also gently caress I keep getting beat.

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere
What's the hat someone mentioned that makes Tomb of the Giants easier by giving off light? Where do I get that?

Viash
Mar 17, 2003
Couple bits of new game+ info: flask upgrades carry over, but cap at +7. Trying to upgrade beyond that gives you a "cannot be further reinforced" message. Also, you can't equip duplicate rings, so no stacking item find rings or stamina regen rings. :(

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
How do I counter that bullshit spell those huge statues do in the dark forest.

I tried getting out of this range but I does nothing, I get slowed, stumble like a jackass and then get destroyed by him.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Viash posted:

Couple bits of new game+ info: flask upgrades carry over, but cap at +7. Trying to upgrade beyond that gives you a "cannot be further reinforced" message. Also, you can't equip duplicate rings, so no stacking item find rings or stamina regen rings. :(

Do you know if the Covenant you were in or Covenant levels in general carry over?

Alteisen posted:

How do I counter that bullshit spell those huge statues do in the dark forest.

I tried getting out of this range but I does nothing, I get slowed, stumble like a jackass and then get destroyed by him.

If you stay close to them and strafe to the right they should never be able to hit you even if you're slowed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Great advertisement for a great game guide. "Prepare to Die... LESS!" is funny and accurate. But I think they missed something...

• Locked thread