Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!
I would not be too upset either way, but I rather like the square sun and moon. I hope he keeps them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

They can easily be put back in with a tiny texture change. It's a non-issue, even for the hardcore OMG EVERYTHING SHOULD BE SQUARE people.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Changelog posted:

Gold sword right click spawns dragon, right click of diamond sword teleports you to Ender.
Tell me this works.
In multiplayer.

e: Oh nevermind, I guess it's only with a custom class.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jin Wicked posted:

I would not be too upset either way, but I rather like the square sun and moon. I hope he keeps them.

It should alternate! Day 1 is square sun and moon, day 2 is round sun and moon, repeat forever.

Or maybe having whether the sun/moon is square or round have something to do with weather. Like if the square sun comes up instead of round sun, it's going to rain or thunder that day cycle.

Square sun at morning, miners take warning?

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!

Taffer posted:

They can easily be put back in with a tiny texture change. It's a non-issue, even for the hardcore OMG EVERYTHING SHOULD BE SQUARE people.

Yeah, I know. I use the default everything though, except for Too Many Items.

Thanks to whoever pointed out the T-shirt sale! Asked my husband to order "Three Creeper Moon" for me.

...with the square moon. Oh, and a sticker. :3:

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

How can you use default textures? :eng99:

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster
Yes.

Weaponized potions mean I can now experiment with potions properly! Which is to say, on anything other than myself- unless it's shown to be beneficial.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

trandorian posted:

It should alternate! Day 1 is square sun and moon, day 2 is round sun and moon, repeat forever.

Or maybe having whether the sun/moon is square or round have something to do with weather. Like if the square sun comes up instead of round sun, it's going to rain or thunder that day cycle.

Square sun at morning, miners take warning?

They should go through phases but instead of normal moon-type phases they should cycle between becoming more and less blocky.

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius
Notch should just down triangle sun and moons just to gently caress with everyone.

King of Cheeses
Jul 25, 2007
Crusty on the outside, smooth and creamy on the inside.
I made a Minecraft Piston Mob Grinder. That link includes video and a floor plan where you can step through and see how to build it. Basically a redstone circuit drives 4 sets of 2x3 pistons to repeatedly mash mobs until they die. I'm certainly no voice talent, but did a commentary anyways as its way better than annotations.

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!

Taffer posted:

How can you use default textures? :eng99:

I like them. v:shobon:v

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Jin Wicked posted:

Huge constructions like this are always beautiful, but they're almost invariably built on enormous, perfectly-flattened areas (or open sea). It's just an aesthetic thing I guess, but I always prefer seeing megastructures built into and with the surrounding terrain, instead of against it.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Unfortunately rolling out a tongue is beyond me.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jin Wicked posted:

If you like the default textures, you should really try Vattic's Faithful 32x32 http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/72747-faithful-32x32-pack-updatemod-support-19-pre-3/

It's seriously more or less Notch's default textures resized to 32x32 and then hand tweaked to smooth them out just a little.

becomes

I can't play with any texture pack but this or default. I get confused and can't figure out what things are. :downs:

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^
Gosh, enchantments and bombs (called a splash potion) in this PR update, are fun. It's an interesting twist on all those loot games. Want something cool? Make it yourself.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Nenonen posted:

That's the second-biggest monkey head I've ever seen!

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!

Vib Rib posted:

Huge constructions like this are always beautiful, but they're almost invariably built on enormous, perfectly-flattened areas (or open sea). It's just an aesthetic thing I guess, but I always prefer seeing megastructures built into and with the surrounding terrain, instead of against it.

That is what I usually do. The terrain generation has been changing so rapidly that I built this to be dropped into a new world easily.

Once things are finalized I am going to import everything else -- that requires work blending into new terrain -- for my server.

I agree with you though. That is the first and only proper castle I have built. I wanted to do it at least once.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

That's exactly my design philosophy.

It's more of a town than a megastructure though, and I've barely begun working on it. Built on and around an entirely natural acropolis-style mountain, directly next to a sheltered cove connected to the ocean.

The viaduct doesn't lead anywhere yet, but will eventually end up at a mountain fortress I've planned for elsewhere.

Vinigre
Feb 18, 2011

Prepare your bladder for imminent release!
Is it me, or are eyes of ender inconsistent in pre-release 4?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

trandorian posted:

It's seriously more or less Notch's default textures resized to 32x32 and then hand tweaked to smooth them out just a little.

It seriously looks easier on the eyes. 16x has this sorta "harsh" feel to it.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Vinigre posted:

Is it me, or are eyes of ender inconsistent in pre-release 4?

Aren't they supposed to work better the higher up you go? Try throwing one on the top of a mountain.

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

'We've strayed into a zone with a high magical index,' he said. 'Don't ask me how. Once upon a time a really powerful magic field must have been generated here, and we're feeling the after-effects.'
'Precisely,' said a passing bush.

Pollyanna posted:

So enchantment tables are best with NO space between them and the bookshelves? Because I have a 1 space margin between my table and the shelves.

edit: Enemies interrupt me in my sleep now, when they didn't in 1.9pre3. Bug?

Have to have one space between.

realshotgun
Sep 18, 2011

by angerbeet
minecraft best sandbox

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Vib Rib posted:

That's the second-biggest monkey head I've ever seen!

Motherfucker, beat me to it.

Before losing my last hardcore game i started building the town on Méleé Island™. Didn't get much further than Elaine's mansion on the cliff before dying. :(

Piss Witch fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 13, 2011

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

'We've strayed into a zone with a high magical index,' he said. 'Don't ask me how. Once upon a time a really powerful magic field must have been generated here, and we're feeling the after-effects.'

realshotgun posted:

minecraft best sandbox

You really should put more content in your posts.

In other news I am open for any ideas for ways of getting the new Items from 1.9 with my Peaceful Pack. (A mod to add ways of getting vanilla items you can only get in non-peaceful modes)

(Such as blaze rod, spider eyes, ender pearls and more)

hogofwar fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Oct 14, 2011

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.

Joust posted:

In the pixel rain
In the square moonlight
Yes I'm the Enderman

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

hogofwar posted:

In other news I am open for any ideas for ways of getting the new Items from 1.9 with PP

For blaze rods, find a stronghold in the nether. It will be full of blaze elemental spawners. Clearing my first stronghold was loving difficult and i came away with half a stack of blaze rods.

Spider eyes are a bit more of a bitch. Either farm a spider spawner, or go hunting every night.

Ender pearls are a total oval office to get, in my last playthrough i think i only ended up with about 3 of them. Endermen didn't seem to spawn on the surface, and half the mobs i attacked underground just vanished, never to be seen again.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Has kas updated Painterly for 1.9 yet? I know Pre4 just came out, but has he done anything for Pre3 and below?

I can't play Minecraft without it. :negative:

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Nenonen posted:

Now, you need to add the underground area including LeChuck's ship.

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

Bellend Sebastian posted:

For blaze rods, find a stronghold in the nether. It will be full of blaze elemental spawners. Clearing my first stronghold was loving difficult and i came away with half a stack of blaze rods.

Spider eyes are a bit more of a bitch. Either farm a spider spawner, or go hunting every night.

Ender pearls are a total oval office to get, in my last playthrough i think i only ended up with about 3 of them. Endermen didn't seem to spawn on the surface, and half the mobs i attacked underground just vanished, never to be seen again.

Oh, sorry! I should have elaborated more in my original post about what I meant... Fixed my post.

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

hogofwar posted:

In other news I am open for any ideas for ways of getting the new Items from 1.9 with my Peaceful Pack. (A mod to add ways of getting vanilla items you can only get in non-peaceful modes)

Two obsidian stacked vertically = 1 obsidian rod. 4 obsidian rods + bucket of lava = 4 blaze rods, but can only be done in The Nether.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

hogofwar posted:

Off the top of my head, a few ideas.
Blaze Rods: If there's any way to hook into the nether stronghold generation code, maybe add these in treasure chests there. Or a new ore in the Nether. Or perhaps actual rods growing up out of the ground. Maybe hanging from glowstone clusters. Lots of ways to go with these.

Gold Nuggets: Could be embedded as a nether ore, dropping multiple nuggets per block. Or simply craftable from gold ingots?

Spider Eyes: Randomly underground (or hell, in surface forests perhaps) you might find spider cocoons among clusters of webs. Break them for spider eyes.
Alternately (or additionally) if there's any way you could hook into the generation code for mineshafts, you could put those cocoons around the places where cave-spider spawners are normally found.

Ghast Tears: Small crystalline clusters, not unlike glowstone (but perhaps with a more definitive form), can be found growing out of the great lava seas in the Nether. Break them for Ghast Tears.

Ender Pearls: Ender shrubs that grow at bedrock level can be harvested for these. A farming system would be interesting but not necessary. Seems like a neat place for them, anyway.

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

Off the top of my head, a few ideas.
Blaze Rods: If there's any way to hook into the nether stronghold generation code, maybe add these in treasure chests there. Or a new ore in the Nether. Or perhaps actual rods growing up out of the ground. Maybe hanging from glowstone clusters. Lots of ways to go with these.

Gold Nuggets: Could be embedded as a nether ore, dropping multiple nuggets per block. Or simply craftable from gold ingots?

Spider Eyes: Randomly underground (or hell, in surface forests perhaps) you might find spider cocoons among clusters of webs. Break them for spider eyes.
Alternately (or additionally) if there's any way you could hook into the generation code for mineshafts, you could put those cocoons around the places where cave-spider spawners are normally found.

Ghast Tears: Small crystalline clusters, not unlike glowstone (but perhaps with a more definitive form), can be found growing out of the great lava seas in the Nether. Break them for Ghast Tears.

Ender Pearls: Ender shrubs that grow at bedrock level can be harvested for these. A farming system would be interesting but not necessary. Seems like a neat place for them, anyway.

Those are really nice ideas, so far I have only personally thought of stuff for blaze rods (make iron bar, mine blaze ore, craft together) and spider eyes (New mob of Minataurized spiders that drop small spider eyes that craft together to form a Spider eye).

Your idea for blaze rods actually growing in the nether interests me, though ideally it would be hard to obtain. Blaze trees? Blaze stalactites? Blaze cows?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Eiba posted:

Oh man, this is some great work.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

hogofwar posted:

Your idea for blaze rods actually growing in the nether interests me, though ideally it would be hard to obtain. Blaze trees? Blaze stalactites? Blaze cows?

Sugar cane, but red, and next to lava instead of water.

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

And just realised this isn't the modding thread! Sorry!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Joust posted:

You better get working on that pumpkin farm.

A Lamer
Jul 2, 2006

JGBeagle posted:

Has kas updated Painterly for 1.9 yet? I know Pre4 just came out, but has he done anything for Pre3 and below?

I can't play Minecraft without it. :negative:

He's been chipping away quite steadily at everything that needs doing for quite some time now, but he's been quite busy with IRL stuff. Last I heard he might go ahead and release after he's finished, even though he generally prefers to release painterly for official patches.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

feigning interest posted:

In the pixel rain
In the square moonlight
Yes I'm the Enderman

Good Grinderman reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

King of Cheeses posted:

I made a Minecraft Piston Mob Grinder. That link includes video and a floor plan where you can step through and see how to build it. Basically a redstone circuit drives 4 sets of 2x3 pistons to repeatedly mash mobs until they die. I'm certainly no voice talent, but did a commentary anyways as its way better than annotations.

Holy poo poo, this is awesome. I love the flash app on your page that steps through how to build it--I wish more people used that for schematics of what they build