Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Tanith posted:

Jesus christ this is fantastic. Do you have any shots of it under normal lighting too?

Sorry for the delay. I decided to take more pictures of it today, so I added in a few behind-the-scenes ones while I was at it.

One with the roof off.

This is the lighting setup under the actual conditions I took the picture in. On the left is a 9v train transformer powering the EL-wire via some pretty sketchy wire connections I made.

This is just with normal room lighting. Lots and lots of glare.

And the new picture I took. I moved some figs around, moved the background buildings, pushed the sculptures back and changed my lighting a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Official LEGO Minifig trading!
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3439442

I updated my list.

edit:

Shuppiluliumas posted:

Awesome Lighting stuff

Holy balls you got featured on Brothers Brick!
http://www.brothers-brick.com/2011/10/12/machinations-in-the-boardroom/

djfooboo fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Oct 13, 2011

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Paul Proteus posted:

They actually just moved more south of their old location (maybe 3 months ago?). Their PAB wall is much bigger now - although I don't know about the quality; I rarely even look at it.

They're not in the Westfield place now? Where are they?

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

The_Doctor posted:

They're not in the Westfield place now? Where are they?

Water Tower Place - it's the mall right next to the Hancock Tower.

http://stores.lego.com/en-us/Chicago/LandingPage.aspx

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin
Anyone looking for a job?

http://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/etc/2648490499.html

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
So one of my long-forgotten childhood dreams was just realized.

Got one of these that has never been assembled.

WHAT IS UP, MOTHERFUCKERS.

(If someone has a Crater Cruiser, sell it to me so I can have all the Unitron sets)

Tanith fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Oct 14, 2011

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Tanith posted:

(If someone has a Crater Cruiser, sell it to me so I can have all the Unitron sets)

You lucky, dirty bastard. That drat train was always one of my favorite sets.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

rickiep00h posted:

You lucky, dirty bastard. That drat train was always one of my favorite sets.

I know. To pour salt on the wound while twisting the knife further, it was free.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Tanith posted:

I know. To pour salt on the wound while twisting the knife further, it was free.
As one who always wanted that space monorail as a youngster, let me just say that I'm happy that your dreams came true and, well, gently caress you. Lucky sod.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Tanith posted:

I think I'm going to hold onto mine. Just for spite, of course. Anyway, the least you can do is photo-document the build and results for us!

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Tanith posted:

Oh hello. I hope you die horribly :D
Seconding the motion to do a photoshoot of the build, if only to increase the amount of jealous bile I have at the moment.

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary

Tanith posted:

Oh my gosh. How hard is this to find and how much would I expect to pay for one if I did find it because this is better than any stupid normal EARTH train

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
I think we used to have that space train. We certainly had *A* space train with two stations and a sound brick that went woo-woo-woo, I can't imagine there was more than one set like that. It's probably still in the attic in pieces.

EDIT: nope, we had 6990, smaller and more boxy

Fatkraken fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Oct 14, 2011

scaevola
Jan 25, 2011

GidgetNomates posted:

Oh my gosh. How hard is this to find and how much would I expect to pay for one if I did find it because this is better than any stupid normal EARTH train

Take your pick:
http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?q=6991

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:

scaevola posted:

Take your pick:
http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?q=6991

Well heck if I've already got to save up over $100 for a good train set I might as well save even more and get this awesome thing.

Lord Gold
Feb 22, 2005

'STACHE
WE CAN BELIEVE IN

Tanith posted:

That's a beautiful damned set. I was past the point that my folks would buy LEGO by the time this came out (and also they'd never drop more than about $30 a set, and they'd leave the bigger purchases to my grandparents).

I would have played the poo poo out of this, but at 13, I was "too old" for LEGO because, as my dad would say, "Well son, the boxes say ages 7-12, aren't you outgrowing these toys?"

Well, dad, now I've been collecting for the past 2 years and I've got a room full of LEGO so :smug:

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Is there any where I can get just the Vic Viper from the Alien Conquest set? I can't really afford the full set and I really want that VV.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
Why doesn't Lego make more monorail sets? I'm guessing regular train sets are more profitable among kids (because what kid born after 1995 knows what the hell a monorail is supposed to be), but if they were to produce another space monorail AFOLs would clean out their stock within two weeks just to get more of that sweet sweet track.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Luminaflare posted:

Is there any where I can get just the Vic Viper from the Alien Conquest set? I can't really afford the full set and I really want that VV.

If it comes in it's own numbered sub-assembly bags, then you can just order those bags direct from Lego through customer service. They will charge you a whole lot for it, though, so it's probably not worth it. Less than the whole set, but probably 2-3 times as much as they would charge if it were a stand alone set. It's also possible someone on bricklink or ebay is selling them that way, but you're not the only one who's interested in that Vic Viper, I think. It also might be possible to build it yourself if you have the parts, and just buy the stickers online. Lego keeps a catalog of instruction scans going back at least to the mid 90s, and including current sets.

http://us.service.lego.com/en-US/BuildingInstructions/default.aspx

Time Cowboy posted:

Why doesn't Lego make more monorail sets? I'm guessing regular train sets are more profitable among kids (because what kid born after 1995 knows what the hell a monorail is supposed to be), but if they were to produce another space monorail AFOLs would clean out their stock within two weeks just to get more of that sweet sweet track.

Not to say it'd never happen, but Lego has looked into doing it a couple times in the past. I can't remember if they did it back in 2001 with the Life on Mars sets, but I'm pretty sure they tested a monorail leading up to Mars Mission. They wanted to see if kids would identify it as future-y enough, and Lego decided they didn't, so they went with the air tube thing for the Mars Mission base. The old track molds have apparently been destroyed, and they were very, very expensive.

So, it's definitely true that AFOLs would go nuts for it. We've told Lego time and again, but they don't think it's be worth it.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Shuppiluliumas posted:

New Castle set coming out:

More.

My first thought was that this set is a "must have" for anyone thinking of doing a Game of Throne MOC.

Edit: Well totally beaten on that and really old news, had the wrong page open for some reason. Oh well.

Hey Shuppiluliumas. Is that lit meeting referencing something in particular? Either way it's really cool.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 14, 2011

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Shuppiluliumas posted:

So, it's definitely true that AFOLs would go nuts for it. We've told Lego time and again, but they don't think it's be worth it.

Gosh, the straight monorail track costs a FORTUNE on Bricklink. I guess most of the space sets concentrated on curves and the up/down ramps, those are way cheaper.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Fatkraken posted:

Gosh, the straight monorail track costs a FORTUNE on Bricklink. I guess most of the space sets concentrated on curves and the up/down ramps, those are way cheaper.

There are more curves and ramp pieces than straight pieces in the base set, making the straight pieces rarer by default. They would have had to have been purchased separately in monorail track piece sets and those were pretty rare even when they were in production.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
I wish I could go back in time and tell 7 year old Time Cowboy to buy up all those monorail expansion packs when they were on clearance. Come to think of it, I wish I could tell 7 year old Time Cowboy to buy the Message Intercept Base when it was on clearance for $20.

Iveliosiudicium
Aug 21, 2003
Why are you looking at me like that?
Just picked up city advent calender for my son for this holiday season, by the time I was able to find one last year, it was a damaged package with half the sets missing :/

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
Does this year's Advent Calendar have a showering Santa? Because I still regret not getting one last year.

Iveliosiudicium
Aug 21, 2003
Why are you looking at me like that?
Doesn't look like it.
http://shop.lego.com/en-US/LEGO-City-Advent-Calendar-7553

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:

Iveliosiudicium posted:

Doesn't look like it.
http://shop.lego.com/en-US/LEGO-City-Advent-Calendar-7553

As much as I like that inexplicable catapult, it's no showering Santa...

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Iveliosiudicium posted:

Just picked up city advent calender for my son for this holiday season, by the time I was able to find one last year, it was a damaged package with half the sets missing :/
They can't all be winners, kid.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Found this on imgur and thought I'd share.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006
Minifigs Series 7 photo and more 2012 stuff here. Might want to grab the pics before they get disappeared.

Gravy Jones posted:

My first thought was that this set is a "must have" for anyone thinking of doing a Game of Throne MOC.

Edit: Well totally beaten on that and really old news, had the wrong page open for some reason. Oh well.

Hey Shuppiluliumas. Is that lit meeting referencing something in particular? Either way it's really cool.

Thanks! Ok, pretentious, nerdy post coming up. It's not a reference to anything specific, but there were a few reasons I did it. The primary goal was to find a use for EL-wire as interior lighting. A guy in my LUG introduced me to the stuff a couple years ago, but he never did anything with it. It was just a sort of, "it'd be neat if..." thing. I filed that away for a long time and, a few months ago, thought of it again for some reason. I picked up 8 feet of blue wire, 8 feet of red, and a power source.

I wanted to use the wire for interior lighting of some kind, and indirect florescent/neon seemed to be the way to go. The aesthetic comes, in part, from the film "Sneakers" namely, Cosmo's office. I can't find a good image or clip, but the background of the first few seconds of this clip here gives you a vague idea if you haven't seen the movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coDtzN6bXAM

The minifig silhouette I put on the left side of the room was inspired by that scene as well, and is an homage to Jonathan Borofsky, who did two figures in that vein for the film. In the end I really just wanted a cold, dark and impersonal atmosphere. I also really love the idea of dioramas in Lego that fill an entire image, like this. It's not really even a MOC (it only plays properly in the photo) but by capturing it just right, I hoped to convey the feeling that the scene could be part of something larger.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Shuppiluliumas posted:

Minifigs Series 7 photo and more 2012 stuff here. Might want to grab the pics before they get disappeared.

That's got to be fake, there's no snowboarder.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Goddamn this series looks good!

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Those better be real because holy gently caress are those cool. The space marine, the dark knight, Red Riding Hood, Poseidon, the scot and the Aztec warrior are all awesome.

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King

Shuppiluliumas posted:

I need to get a TON of the programmer ones and line my cubicle in them. I mean, my cube's already lined with minifigs, but programmer ones would just be icing on the cake.

I'll have to repaint a mug to say $bash: instead of C:\>

This looks like the best series since 2.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Seriously there's not a single one there that I dont want. Why couldnt the last 5 releases been like this?

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
I can see it now, "God drat it, I got another bride!"

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Amazing. Look at that bagpiper. Also, does anyone know what the guy in the back-left is supposed to be? A billgates?

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007
This is the first series that made me say "I need all of these."

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Wow, such a good series. Never stop, Lego.

Krazyface posted:

Amazing. Look at that bagpiper. Also, does anyone know what the guy in the back-left is supposed to be? A billgates?

Bill Lumbergh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
I think I just made the least swooshable, least areodynamic space fighter ever. But then again, why does anything in space have to be aerodynamic? It's ugly, it's chunky, it's dangerous as all hell.

The cockpit is on the left, the engine in the middle, and the huge fuckoff :hellyeah: laser cannons on the right.

The view from the back.

Hello, pilot. This guy's pretty :smug:, and it's probably because he knows he could blast a moon out of its orbit.

See the whole thing head-on.

I wonder if the cockpit and the cannons are too far away from the engine. I really like the cockpit and might end up reusing it later.