Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

quote:

Fighting one of them really isn't a problem for me. It's when the other one shows up and it becomes almost impossible to do any damage without getting hit by flame breath.

Switch to human and have Solaire tank em as you wreck them. The fight went from "urgh I cant do this with this slow rear end character" to "This is trivial"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Oae Ui posted:

Are there any good strategies or weapons for facing someone with Havel's armor other than trying for backstabs? I can't tell if my weapons are just poo poo or if the armor is really that good.

It's just that good. If you have a good shield and endurance, just block the hits and backstab his rear end. If not.....get one! (admittedly, I suck at dodging, which is probably why he squished me every time I tried)

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Switch to human and have Solaire tank em as you wreck them. The fight went from "urgh I cant do this with this slow rear end character" to "This is trivial"

I don't have any humanity left. Are all the ways to beat this boss basically either farming or walking across the map? Maybe it's because I just spent 2 hours making no progress whatsoever but I don't really feel like doing that stuff

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Happy Blue Cow posted:

Nice Congrats!

But just curious, do you have a list you followed somewhere of all the Rare Weapons you needed for the "Knight's Honor" Trophy? There is alot of conflicting reports of lists all over the internet; in addition apparently the official guide has an incorrect list as well. People have been reporting having all the weapons on the list and still not getting the trophy.

The list here is complete as far as I know:

http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/dark-souls/128728-rare-weapon-miracle-magic-lists-w-locations.html

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

Minorkos posted:

Fighting one of them really isn't a problem for me. It's when the other one shows up and it becomes almost impossible to do any damage without getting hit by flame breath.

Summon an NPC or a player. The NPC doesn't get many hits in but he's really, really good as a distraction.

A shitload of tough fights early in the game become completely marginal if you summon a couple of extra bodies. I started a new playthrough yesterday and I was able to one-shot the gargoyles, capra and the gaping dragon thanks to summon assistance.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
If you can get ahold of one of the channeler's tridents, you can do the power-up dance :3:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Minorkos posted:

I don't have any humanity left. Are all the ways to beat this boss basically either farming or walking across the map? Maybe it's because I just spent 2 hours making no progress whatsoever but I don't really feel like doing that stuff
Drop your sigil, assist, get humanity.

God Damn Dam God
Dec 24, 2004

I push buttons. I turn dials. I read numbers. Sometimes I make up little stories in my head about what the numbers mean.
Grimey Drawer
Attention babies who are crying over the Silver Knight sniper gauntlet in Anor Lando! You can stop crying now because I'm going to help you out. Here's everything you need to do to get past that section:

- Right after you cross the rotating bridge, shoot the closest gargoyle to you on the right hand side. It will fall off to it's death.
- Go halfway up the steps, and shoot the closest Gargoyle to you on the right. You can shoot thru the fencing on the side of the stairs. The gargoyle will aggro you and run around and come after you. The trick to killing these guys easily is to fight them on the stairs and make sure they are above you at all times. Then equip your lightning spear and do strong attacks after they whiff their melee.
- Deal with the iron giants. The best way to do this is to run up the stairs and to the right. Dodge their initial attack and run thru the gate, then keep going to the end of this platform. One of the giants will turn around, and you can fight them solo.
- Deal with the remaining gargoyle. Use the stairs again.
- From where the three gargoyles were, you will see a ramp going down on the left. Shoot an arrow at the bottom of the ramp, and two gargoyles will hop out and investigate. Shoot them both from the top of the ramp. One will fall off the ledge, the other will just run at the ramp that he can't fit up. Keep shooting at that one until it dies. Go down the ramp, and then turn left and go up the ramp in front of you. Optionally you can just go down the ramp, roll thru the platform where the two gargoles are, and book it up the ramp on the right. If you do this, start rolling when you get to the top of this ramp, as the gargoyles will most likely be throwing lightning at you.
- You should be at a large pillar now. Go around the pillar to your right and make sure you keep moving so you don't get hit by the lance archers. Walk up the ramp. When you get to the top Run along the ledge to the right, and hit the dodge button when the right hand archer shoots. Use a 100% physical reduction shield and keep it up the whole time. You should jump and dodge the arrow, and be out of line of sight for the other archer. Once the right hand archer puts away his bow, turn around and walk back to the ramp you just came from. The right hand archer will hopefully fall off the ledge, but if he doesn't, the left hand archer will be blocked by a pillar so you can fight the other guy a bit easier.
-Once that right hand archer is dead, go around the corner where he was standing, drop off the ledge ahead of you, and go thru the fog gate. If you make it this far, the next part is crucial. Learn from my mistakes. Go thru the first door on your left Do not go thru the door on the right and die to the silver knight. Do not go near the stairs and die to the silver knight. And for the love of god do not get all the way to the bonfire, activate it, and leave without actually sitting at it, or this will be you::smithicide: So yeah. I've tested this method several times. It works.

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.
Does the giant crow do anything? I don't want to harm it because it looks cool but it just sits above that pool all the time.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
Do the Ent tree things in the forest ever start taking actual weapon damage?

I'm a pyromancer, so not even the slightest poo poo is given - froom, POOF, screeeaaam, crumple - but when I'm in an area and the drakesword does no useful damage, I begin to wonder if I shouldn't be there yet.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Does being in a Covenant completely preclude me from being summoned by/summoning people who are in other covenants?

I just want to farm souls by helping with the bell gargoyles but I haven't had a bite in a half hour, maybe it's because I always go join Way of White immediately? :(

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Houdini posted:

Does the giant crow do anything? I don't want to harm it because it looks cool but it just sits above that pool all the time.

It can take you back to the asylum.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Houdini posted:

If you find the crow's nest, it will take you back to the tutorial area where you can trade with Snuggly among other things. You need to fall off the shortcut elevator to the Parish to find the nest.

Ledneh posted:

Does being in a Covenant completely preclude me from being summoned by/summoning people who are in other covenants?

I just want to farm souls by helping with the bell gargoyles but I haven't had a bite in a half hour, maybe it's because I always go join Way of White immediately? :(

No, it doesn't. Some of them just make it easier to get matched with people in your own covenant.

Shalinor posted:

I'm a pyromancer, so not even the slightest poo poo is given - froom, POOF, screeeaaam, crumple - but when I'm in an area and the drakesword does no useful damage, I begin to wonder if I shouldn't be there yet.

Assuming you are talking about the area past the crest door, yeah you probably want a better weapon than the drake sword for that.

evilalien fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Oct 14, 2011

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
I love how the giant crow is never explained or even mentioned.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Shalinor posted:

Slash damage doesn't phase them but thrusts work really well. The Drake sword can't do any thrusts which means it'll have some trouble against those guys. Grab something that can do thrusts (Claymores, Halberd, even a Spear) and you may have an easier time. Clearing the trees was much easier for me using a barely-upgraded Claymore than the Drake Sword.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Shalinor posted:

The Ents after the sealed door are way way tougher then the others. I would run away from everything there as thats easy to do in the forest with all the open space.

The Drake Sword should easily be able to kill the pre sealed door Ents in like 3 hits, are you sure you are hitting them?

Your Moms Ahegao fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Oct 14, 2011

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Thanks for the crow stuff. Off to do stuff with the crow now.

Tainted Ham
Apr 19, 2009
So I'm in Blight town at level 40 and I'm still swinging my Scimitar+5. I feel like I should have upgraded by now and was wondering if I should keep on going or look somewhere else for materials?

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

YorexTheMad posted:

Slash damage doesn't phase them but thrusts work really well. The Drake sword can't do any thrusts which means it'll have some trouble against those guys. Grab something that can do thrusts (Claymores, Halberd, even a Spear) and you may have an easier time. Clearing the trees was much easier for me using a barely-upgraded Claymore than the Drake Sword.
:aaa:

Dammit, I keep forgetting that. I've got the +5 spear, but I don't use it as much - "the drake sword has higher damage, so I should just use this for everything!" :v:

Stupid Dark Souls, and its logical application of why many armor types all but ignore slashing sharp things but are weak to poking pointy things. You'd think I would remember that lesson from 2-1 in Demon's Souls.

... also, for those having issues with the Gargoyles. Try the drakesword 2h strong slash blast. It tears them up. Yeah, sure, you're burning souls in repair costs, but it is so incredibly cool to blast a line of force 100 feet in front of you. Also awesome when quickly clearing the hallway of zombie dudes on your way to them - you can take out 7-10 of them in one blast. :black101:

EDIT: VV In that case, should I be upgrading my spear to +10? Or should I just be waiting for a lightning spear? Not that I have the necessary titanite chunks to do the +5 to +10 (I have 1, yaaay), but eh, maybe I can find them somewhere.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Oct 14, 2011

God Damn Dam God
Dec 24, 2004

I push buttons. I turn dials. I read numbers. Sometimes I make up little stories in my head about what the numbers mean.
Grimey Drawer

Shalinor posted:

The dragon sword starts to really get underpowered about the time you get out of the depths. It's allright for blighttown, but it barely scratches the boss. I had to summon someone for help. Once you get to Sen's fortress you get a lightning spear which is a step in the right direction, and once you get the Anor Lando blacksmith to upgrade your lightning weapons and make a furysword. You might even have enough demon titanite to upgrade it to +2 or +3 and really poo poo out some damage.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
Now that I'm doing a heavy armor playthrough I have all these weapons that I can potentially use and I'm kind of going into mental paralysis trying to figure out what I want to use. :(

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
Go with the biggest one. If you can swing it around with ease, you're using the wrong weapon.

Claymore, zweihander, huge loving axes all come to mind.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
Yeah, I started upgrading the zweihander already. The very first huge knight in undead burg dropped a dark knight sword though, and that's looking pretty tempting as a weapon until I can upgrade the zweihander to around the same damage.

I don't know how people kill bosses with the zweihander prior to being able to one-hand it though. Even the light swing uses a fuckton of stamina and while it does have pretty drat good physical blocking, it's still only 70%.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
That's rare enough that you might as well go ahead and use it. It's a pretty kickass sword.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
God I havn't had a game take over my free-time and thoughts since, well probably since Mass Effect 2.

Was losing my rag at the game being stuck in the Undead Berg for so long but I've finally found the next few bonfires and am now progressing into the Darkroot Forest (sp?). Apparently theres some big-rear end demon with 2 dogs I need to take on but I've stumbled into this forest for now and thats the way its gonna stay.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Are you guys talking a bout two handing those giant sons of guns? Even with the power of poise on our side I can't even imagine going without a shield :psyduck:

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

doomfunk posted:

That's rare enough that you might as well go ahead and use it. It's a pretty kickass sword.

The only downside is the stat requirements. I was pumping endurance but I need 18 dex just to use the thing and 20str to one-hand it.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Vatek posted:

Now that I'm doing a heavy armor playthrough I have all these weapons that I can potentially use and I'm kind of going into mental paralysis trying to figure out what I want to use. :(

The Halberd is a good heavy piercing weapon, or the Claymore as a slashing weapon, both of these can be found in the undeadberg/parish and only require a small investment in STR to wield 1 handed.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
Yeah, I have both of those but it seems like they need to be at least +5 before they can top the drake sword's damage. At least you can buy titanite shards, but I'm trying to pick something and stick with it since any titanite other than shards is either super rare or a pain in the rear end to farm.

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Ledneh posted:

Are you guys talking a bout two handing those giant sons of guns? Even with the power of poise on our side I can't even imagine going without a shield :psyduck:

With two handed style, you can tank most enemies before they get a chance to do anything. :v:

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Can someone explain how stat bonuss work?

Astora's Straight Sword, for example, does 80 physical + 80 magical damage and requires 10 str, 10 dex and 14 faith.

The bonuses are C for str, dex and faith.

So if I have 16 str, 15 dex and 14 faith, how much more damage would it be doing? What if I have 11 or 12 faith instead of the 14?

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
I love how the heavy swing on the zweihander just mashes dudes into the ground, I just don't know how to fight bosses with these things. I'm used to turtling up behind a shield with a spear and slowly poking bosses to death.

mistermojo posted:

Can someone explain how stat bonuss work?

Astora's Straight Sword, for example, does 80 physical + 80 magical damage and requires 10 str, 10 dex and 14 faith.

The bonuses are C for str, dex and faith.

So if I have 16 str, 15 dex and 14 faith, how much more damage would it be doing? What if I have 11 or 12 faith instead of the 14?

If you have 11 or 12 faith I don't even think you'll be able to wield it effectively. I have no idea what the scaling math looks like, but you can see the bonus damage on the item description when you have it equipped.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Having a lot of fun giving assists on the Gaping Dragon, if anyone's close to level 31 and wants to do co-op. Killed it 3 times in an hour, 12500 souls a pop and neither of us even got scratched last time.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Shalinor posted:

EDIT: VV In that case, should I be upgrading my spear to +10? Or should I just be waiting for a lightning spear? Not that I have the necessary titanite chunks to do the +5 to +10 (I have 1, yaaay), but eh, maybe I can find them somewhere.

I wouldn't really bother dumping more souls/materials into the Spear+5 since you can easily get the Lightning one in the not-too-distant future and it will (sadly) outclass anything you're able to upgrade to at the moment.

In the same dungeon you get the Lightning Spear you can find a merchant off the beaten path who sells Large Titanite (needed for +6-+10 standard upgrades, as well as armor past +4 or so) and Green Titanite Shards (needed for Divine or Fire and I think Magic to +5). Titanite Chunks are used to upgrade Lightning weapons and as near as I can tell they have to be farmed.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Vatek posted:

I love how the heavy swing on the zweihander just mashes dudes into the ground, I just don't know how to fight bosses with these things. I'm used to turtling up behind a shield with a spear and slowly poking bosses to death.

If you have 11 or 12 faith I don't even think you'll be able to wield it effectively. I have no idea what the scaling math looks like, but you can see the bonus damage on the item description when you have it equipped.

Oh, the wiki just says "lower-than-required Magic and/or Faith will reduce the Magic damage of the weapon.".

Well I'm gonna get it because I need a holy weapon anyway and upgrading it sounds really cheap since moss is so easy to farm, I'll see how effective I am with my low faith before spending souls on the stat

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

quote:

Ive been using a heavy (very heavy) str dude and I've been using an upgraded zweihandler since I finished the depths. Its the most satisfying weapon with the most satisfying R2 attack. Nothing like backstabbing some mob, waiting for them to start getting up and then smashing them with the R2 before they finish.

Most weak mobs die in one hit. Tougher ones take a backstab and an R2 to finish or 2-3 R2s. Bosses can be a pain but I usually just switch to slightly lighter armor, go two handed and treat it as Monster Hunter.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
gently caress you Big Hat Logan. I didn't save your stupid rear end before, and then I completed and explored all of the Duke's Archives. So I go save your dumb rear end later, and you only stay in the Firelink shrine for like 10 minutes. Then you're supposed to gently caress off to Duke's archives, but hey you're not there for whatever dumb poo poo reason. Yay!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Is the soundtrack for Dark Souls sold separately or with the guide only? I think I want it.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Vatek posted:

You might want to take a look at the sword you get from joining the Gravelord covenant. I switched to it after the claymore I had used for most of the game, it does pretty good damage and helped me a lot through Sen's Fortress and Anor Londo. The attacks aren't quite as slow as with the Zweihander, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Trying to grind my way to a fog ring, need 2 more kills... invade another player, they have better items but I have a shield and spear and they can't penetrate. Guy uses 6 estus flasks to go from 10% to 100% while I am slowly whittled down. He gets me to 10%, I remember I have miracles. I heal myself. He aggros NPCs. Then disconnects because he just got in an unwinnable situation. loving lovely. If the invadee disconnects it should be an auto-win.

• Locked thread