Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

pootiebigwang posted:

I have been shooting with some ilford delta 3200 pulled back to 1600. This is my first time shooting black and white and I am concerned about getting it developed. I am going to have to get it developed in a lab, as I do not have a single room in my house that doesn't have a window in it. When dropping the film off do I need to let them know that I pulled the film to 1600? I also have 3 or 4 shots that were taken at 3200, will those be effected?

You'll probably have to pay extra to have traditional B/W film developed at a lab. When you drop it off, make sure you make it clear that it's traditional B/W film and not C-41 or E-6, otherwise they can easily ruin the film with chemicals for colour. Do tell them about the 1 stop pull, though they might change extra for it.
Your EI 3200 shots will come out underexposed if the film is developed for EI 1600, but one stop is not a huge deal and is easily handled during printing or scanning, the film should have enough dynamic range for that. Alternatively, don't bother telling them to pull, the negatives should still be just as usable.

But you don't need a darkroom to develop your own film, only to make wet prints. To develop film, you just need a dark place for moving the film from the canister/roll into the light-tight developing tank. You can get changing bags for that, a light-tight bag that lets you do the work in an otherwise fully lit room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

You can't change ISO in the middle of a roll - you just underexposed by a stop (after pulling). You also don't need a windowless room to do development, most tanks these days are light tight and film is loaded in a light tight changing bag.

edit: way way beaten

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If you can't get in the mood to murder someone (it's understandable), simply try and spool film onto a developing reel in a bag for the first time. Unending, indiscriminate rage or your money back.

Prathm
Nov 24, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

If you can't get in the mood to murder someone (it's understandable), simply try and spool film onto a developing reel in a bag for the first time. Unending, indiscriminate rage or your money back.

And that's just for 35mm.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
pssh. That's only if you use that paterson rubbish (or its clones). I gave an AP wide flange reel to a friend who is learning how to shoot film and she loaded it in a bag first time in about 20 sec with 120 film.

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Oct 14, 2011

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.
Was the recent Princess Bride reunion photoshoot done by Annie Leibovitz?
http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/10/12/the-princess-bride-cast-reunion-photo/

I can't find any confirm/deny aside from the fact that it's very much her style.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Captain Postal posted:

pssh. That's only if you use that paterson rubbish (or its clones). I gave an AP wide flange reel to a friend who is learning how to shoot film and she loaded it in a bag first time in about 20 sec with 120 film.

Wow, you have a film loading savant for a friend. I don't think there is a person in this whole subforum who loaded 35mm film onto a reel nearly that successfully the first time, much less 120.

Congratulate your friend, she truly has a gift.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Cyberbob posted:

Was the recent Princess Bride reunion photoshoot done by Annie Leibovitz?
http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/10/12/the-princess-bride-cast-reunion-photo/

I can't find any confirm/deny aside from the fact that it's very much her style.

It has the photographer's name under the photo ;)

http://www.bigpicture.in/celebrities-portraits-and-ensembles-by-art-streiber/

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Captain Postal posted:

you've never used the steel reels with the little sprocket tabs

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

atomicthumbs posted:

My fingertips hurt just reading this.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

atomicthumbs posted:

pffft. Real film doesn't have sprockets :colbert:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

William T. Hornaday posted:

Is there a particular reason why the the temperature for white balance in Lightroom is backwards?
People associate the red end of the visible light spectrum with "warmth", i.e. higher temperatures, and blue with "cool", lower temperatures. Relatively few people who don't work in foundries have spent enough time around objects emitting black-body radiation in the visible spectrum to know it works the other way around.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Captain Postal posted:

Get with the times, man! 135 is the future! Rollfilm's on its way out already!

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Captain Postal posted:

Real film doesn't come on rolls :smug:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

FasterThanLight posted:

real film is glass :shepface:

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

FasterThanLight posted:

Reel film does though.

edit: and if you're taking photos on anything other than bitumen you're loving soft.

Sevn posted:

Wow, you have a film loading savant for a friend. I don't think there is a person in this whole subforum who loaded 35mm film onto a reel nearly that successfully the first time, much less 120.

Congratulate your friend, she truly has a gift.

Not really. I mean yeah, I am a great teacher and all, but it's more to do with the fact that paterson reels are just a terrible design compared to the AP compact reels. They have a design that makes sense and doesn't make it harder than it needs to be, where paterson reels are needlessly harder to use. After she got it with the AP reel I gave her a paterson one and she took about 5 min.

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Oct 15, 2011

Prathm
Nov 24, 2005

Is there an easy way to find photos taken with a specific lens on flickr, besides just browsing for the few pictures where people have tagged it with the lens?

Prathm fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 18, 2011

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Prathm posted:

Is there an easy way to find photos taken with a specific lens on flickr, besides just browsing for few pictures where people have tagged it with the lens?

http://www.pixel-peeper.com should help you out.

Also look for groups dedicated to that specific lens, there generally are quite a few of those.

Prathm
Nov 24, 2005

PREYING MANTITS posted:

http://www.pixel-peeper.com should help you out.

Also look for groups dedicated to that specific lens, there generally are quite a few of those.

That's a neat site. I'm shopping for a portrait-lens for my analog hasselblad though.

E: found some groups

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable
Anyone have any experience at using an iPad to edit photos? I just ordered one for uni and figure it might be a decent addition to my camera bag. Obviously I'm not expecting to be able to do anything particularly sophisticated with it but it'd be nice if there's a reasonably streamlined app to do a few basics like cropping and level adjustments whilst I'm out in the field.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Prathm posted:

That's a neat site. I'm shopping for a portrait-lens for my analog hasselblad though.
So get a 150/4? It's not like there's a million options 8/
(e: not many options because the 180 is dumb and 3 times what a 150 would cost you)

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Oct 20, 2011

Prathm
Nov 24, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

So get a 150/4? It's not like there's a million options 8/
(e: not many options because the 180 is dumb and 3 times what a 150 would cost you)

What about the 120? Any good?

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
I just need a quick suggestion. Can anyone suggest an intervalometer/remote for the Nikon D3000? I want one for a project idea I have for capturing birds and squirrels at a feeder.

Atticus_1354 fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Oct 20, 2011

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Atticus_1354 posted:

I just need a quick suggestion. Can anyone suggest an intervalometer/remote for the Nikon D3000? I want one for a project idea I have for capturing birds and squirrels at a feeder.

AFAIK the D3000 doesn't support either wired or wireless remotes, but it should still be possible to control it from a PC, if having one hooked to the camera by USB is an option. Try this little program.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Prathm posted:

What about the 120? Any good?
The 120 and 150 are both pretty good portrait lenses for the Hasselblad but the 150 is somewhat cheaper and performs just as good as the 120. If you don't need the macro capabilities of the 120 I would recommend you get the 150 instead.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

nielsm posted:

AFAIK the D3000 doesn't support either wired or wireless remotes, but it should still be possible to control it from a PC, if having one hooked to the camera by USB is an option. Try this little program.

Really? There is an option for it in the menu and I have found wireless remotes. I would just like something that also had timelapse functions also. I am going to go ahead and pick up a regular wireless remote and see if I can do it manually.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Atticus_1354 posted:

Really? There is an option for it in the menu and I have found wireless remotes. I would just like something that also had timelapse functions also. I am going to go ahead and pick up a regular wireless remote and see if I can do it manually.

Oh, maybe that's only the D3100/D5100 where they scrapped remote triggering then. I just remember looking for it on one of those more recent low-end bodies and not being able to find it.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Holistic Detective posted:

Anyone have any experience at using an iPad to edit photos? I just ordered one for uni and figure it might be a decent addition to my camera bag. Obviously I'm not expecting to be able to do anything particularly sophisticated with it but it'd be nice if there's a reasonably streamlined app to do a few basics like cropping and level adjustments whilst I'm out in the field.

I don't think it can do RAW (could be wrong on that). I think it should be able to handle what you want on JPGs though.

It works great as a portfolio!

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

nielsm posted:

Oh, maybe that's only the D3100/D5100 where they scrapped remote triggering then. I just remember looking for it on one of those more recent low-end bodies and not being able to find it.

D3100 = No IR Remote
D5100 = IR Remote

Legdiian fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Oct 21, 2011

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.
UK folk: What's the best online store for Camera bodies & lenses?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Cyberbob posted:

UK folk: What's the best online store for Camera bodies & lenses?

http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Is there an American equivalent of this?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Abnegatus posted:

Is there an American equivalent of this?

There should be! But you guys get the 50% "living in America" discount.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Not to argue, but I just checked the Canon 50mm 1.8 and it quotes Amazon as the cheapest at 85 quid, whereas Amazon itself lists it at 74.

Medusula
Aug 8, 2007
Ok newbie question I can't seem to find a clear answer for on the internet. I have a white dog, for some reason the top of her head keeps blowing out even in flat light. Should I be exposing to the left or right of the histogram?

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Medusula posted:

Ok newbie question I can't seem to find a clear answer for on the internet. I have a white dog, for some reason the top of her head keeps blowing out even in flat light. Should I be exposing to the left or right of the histogram?

I'm not positive, but I think a white dog is kind of like white snow (except maybe less extreme) For snow you do 1.5-2 stops of overexposure so that it meters properly, so try 1-1.5 stops overexpose for a really white dog.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Your camera overexposed because the rest of the scene is dark. Use exp comp or just choose the exposure yourself.

Shmoogy posted:

For snow you do 1.5-2 stops of overexposure so that it meters properly, so try 1-1.5 stops overexpose for a really white dog.
This will just result in the rest of the dog being overexposed.

Medusula
Aug 8, 2007
This is the hound in question, my other dog no problems but for some reason her pictures tends to requires an hour of fiddling in post to get anything usable. May just be easier to get her some sort of hat.

Old man dog

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer

Medusula posted:

May just be easier to get her some sort of hat.
Or a squirt of hair dye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

spog posted:

Not to argue, but I just checked the Canon 50mm 1.8 and it quotes Amazon as the cheapest at 85 quid, whereas Amazon itself lists it at 74.

it's not my site :/ it's good to use as more of a guideline anyway. Amazon's prices fluctuate a lot - at the time of posting it's 80, not 74.