Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

FirstPersonShitter posted:

I get summoned every time I put down my white phantom sign unless I'm doing it at some weird time of day when nobody is around. Basically if you can see a load of orange messages around a boss door, put down your summon sign cause it means people are online.

Congrats on playing on PS3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Thanks for the Quelaag tips. Honestly, she's an incredibly fun boss! Her mechanics are pretty fun!

Why does she give less souls than Gaping Dragon, who is a massive pushover? :goleft:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

This is a single-player game, the multiplayer components are just a garnish.

The main course is delicious as hell and I can't put the game down. Yeah. It's earned the high scores.

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Stuck in the middle with you.
Oh frickin' sweet, just noticed the stairs to the shortcut from the bonfire to gaping dragon! No more dealing with the stupid loving frogs! :dance:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
The process to keep Rhea alive apparently has a mistake in it. I made sure to talk to her immediately upon rescuing her, in which I bought all the miracles I wanted but not all of them. As I had understood it, all you had to do was to talk to her.

Well I just went back and sure enough the humanity/pendant were there. I guess this means only one thing for all future play throughs to ensure this never happens again!

Killing that fat useless cleric.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

andrew smash posted:

Most of the problem with multiplayer could be fixed with a dedicated server instead of this P2P garbage. I really, really hope that server support is included in the patch and they put one up.

Yeah stick to her front and just to the side, you'll be out of the hit range of her fire whip thing and normal lava blasts. Run away as soon as she pauses her attack pattern, that means she's either going to to a leg stomp or her AOE fireball (not lava) which is unblockable and will gently caress you up.

That aoe (the one that can pretty much one-shot you) isn't unblockable, but blocking it with the black knight shield took out most of my ~150 stamina.

e:

Elysiume posted:

Thanks for the Quelaag tips. Honestly, she's an incredibly fun boss! Her mechanics are pretty fun!

Why does she give less souls than Gaping Dragon, who is a massive pushover? :goleft:

If you summoned the NPC phantom, she ganks some of your reward.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Okay fair I guess, i tried to block it once with the eagle shield and it completely flattened me and took off almost all of my health so I never tried again.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Wow someone actually summoned me for the bed of chaos fight. The dude just stood in the back and let me solve it for him, but then suddenly had the inspiration to try and finish it himself.

He fell to his death.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Rascyc posted:

The process to keep Rhea alive apparently has a mistake in it. I made sure to talk to her immediately upon rescuing her, in which I bought all the miracles I wanted but not all of them. As I had understood it, all you had to do was to talk to her.

Well I just went back and sure enough the humanity/pendant were there. I guess this means only one thing for all future play throughs to ensure this never happens again!

Killing that fat useless cleric.
I was so split at first, but everything I see makes me regret my decision less and less.

I didn't summon an NPC, the dude did. The dude who did nothing at all. I was Iaito'ing and longbow'ing the poo poo out Quelaag, and he just ran around in his robes. Mildred tanked like a champ.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

andrew smash posted:

Okay fair I guess, i tried to block it once with the eagle shield and it completely flattened me and took off almost all of my health so I never tried again.

The eagle shield has like 40% fire resist or something fairly low. Granted, the attack DID one-shot me if I didn't block, but I didn't take much damage hiding behind the 95% fire resist on the black knight shield. I died a couple of times but mainly because I wasn't watching my stamina and didn't have enough to block.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
The game is designed to have a passive multiplayer experience. The problem stems from the fact that the multiplayer elements are so passive that they might as well not exist in their current state. I would enjoy the game about a billion times more if I could get any kind of PVP at all. Be it early, mid or late NG+ SL120 action.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

I get summoned every time I put down my white phantom sign unless I'm doing it at some weird time of day when nobody is around. Basically if you can see a load of orange messages around a boss door, put down your summon sign cause it means people are online.

People being online doesn't mean poo poo if they aren't in the narrow level range you can be summoned in. Plus the worst part is that I can't just wander off and do something interesting, I have to babysit the loving sign or it'll scarper :ughh:

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

I swear I wrote something funny here.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

There are a lot of problems with this game. I think that game reviewers kind of fell over themselves in order to show that they were "with it" and into Dark Souls without really addressing some of the problems:

Considering the investment it takes just to learn Dark Souls I imagine most reviewers haven't played it far enough to give the game a fair assessment one way or the other.

I played hundreds of hours of Demon's Souls and I'm not walking through Dark Souls. I can only imagine how far a game reviewer who never finished the original would get in the time they'd have with it.

To be fair though, I think a lot of the draw of Dark Souls is it's old school feel. When I was a kid games felt mysterious and had an air of tension and difficulty about them. Most modern games don't feel that way anymore. Most modern games feel like if you put enough time into it you can beat it no matter how good you are at video games. The Souls games feel like at any point you might just say "gently caress it" and walk away because you get sick of beating your head against a boss or area. I think a lot of people miss those types of games.

Sure Dark Souls isn't perfect and yes it could be a lot better. But in the modern era it's fairly unique and gives a lot of us that sense of how games used to be and that makes it a gem, at least for me.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
You said you had luck with your sigil at the campfire? I got summoned right at the fog wall and now I'm at the entrance to her spidery lair. I figure I'll try a whole bunch of locations. Does level 33 seem good for assisting on Quelaag?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Speedball posted:

This is a single-player game, the multiplayer components are just a garnish.

Yes of course, that's why there are 9 covenants and the summoning system and the invasion system and why From Software put all this work into Dragon Dueling and Gravelording and the Darkmoon and poo poo. Because it's primarily a single player game.

You know, the one thing I hate about the internet is people who come into a thread and make a statement so bald-faced silly that I have to waste my time responding to them. I mean, it's obvious you have low critical thinking skills. Why do I think my response will make a bit of difference?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

There are a lot of problems with this game. I think that game reviewers kind of fell over themselves in order to show that they were "with it" and into Dark Souls without really addressing some of the problems:

A terrible input glitch that affects me fairly regularly where my guy doesn't attack for a few seconds. I know that this is fairly common. A game as hard as Dark Souls should NOT have an input glitch in it.
Horrible framerate problems in certain areas (different depending on the console).
Geometry glitches that can kill your character.
Busted multiplayer on an entire console.
Very very mean-spirited metagame decisions (say no to the cat once? You're out of the Covenant...FOREVER. Accidentally smack an NPC? Hope you like grinding souls for literally hours, or know of a very specific farming technique).
Really terrible PvP mechanics in general.

I like Dark Souls but it reminds me a lot of Everquest: the kernel of a great idea is there, but they have tacked on a bunch of half-baked pointlessly mean poo poo on top of it in the name of "challenge".

And it's no 89 on Metacritic, I'll tell you that much.

I don't think the metagame stuff is so bad - the game is designed to allow you to make mistakes and screw up. Plus if you're attacking NPCs and making them mad a lot, maybe you should stop being so aggressive with everything.

The input glitch I get a lot though, and it's even killed me a few times where it popped an estus flask about 3 seconds after I said to, leaving me wide open. The framerate stuff is an issue too - it's unlikely to get you killed but it's really shoddy. PvP is kind of hit or miss. I agree with everyone here in that actually getting connected to other players is a pain (PS3 user here) - it seems like the game should be so much more populated than it actually is thanks to the wonky P2P matching. The actual PvP often seems to boil down to "get backstabbed by their +10 fire greatsword and instantly die", especially if they have the fog ring. Still, I do appreciate that they attempted to broaden PvP a bit from Demon's Souls with the book of the guilty and such - it just doesn't seem to work very well at the moment.

Some of the story discussion reminded me of an issue I had with the game, which is that it seems really unclear why you're actually DOING all the stuff you're doing. In Demon's Souls it had a very clear overall goal - defeat the Old One. In Dark Souls I'm not even sure what I did even after finishing the game. It would have been nice to have a more well defined objective to lend some forward momentum to the gameplay. Instead it just kind of feels like you're just wandering around killing stuff until you run out of stuff to kill.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

SixtySix posted:

Havel... you loving shitlord

He's been pushing my face in all game (I'm playing a tanky guy and can't circle strafe for poo poo) and I FINALLY figured out a way to kill him easily: lure him to the top of the tower and step outside to the staircase. He will retreat, and if you step inside the tower he will come at you and take ONE swing before retreating again.

I was hitting him with fireballs from my +8 pyro hand, hitting him for about 240 points of damage per hit. I got him down to about 3% of his health, and the jackass launches himself into the abyss off the notch in the stairwell outside, taking his loving ring with him

God I hate that rear end in a top hat so much :negative:

Get the Zweihander from the graveyard at Firelink Shrine, and equip it in 2 handed mode. Bait one of his slow attacks and back up to dodge it. Step in a bit and press R2. Your attack will literally flatten him on the ground and leave him completely helpless for an extra hit or two before you repeat the process.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I don't think the metagame stuff is so bad - the game is designed to allow you to make mistakes and screw up. Plus if you're attacking NPCs and making them mad a lot, maybe you should stop being so aggressive with everything.

I have never killed or attacked a single NPC, but this thread has at least 30+ posts where people are complaining that they put their controller down and it attacked, or got nervous and attacked an NPC (some of whom look like monsters) and got royally hosed for it.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Bland posted:

Congrats on playing on PS3
I am seriously just going to buy a PS3 for this game.

I figure by this point the thing must have other exclusive games that will justify it eventually, but really I just want to experience multiplayer Dark Souls.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Some of the story discussion reminded me of an issue I had with the game, which is that it seems really unclear why you're actually DOING all the stuff you're doing. In Demon's Souls it had a very clear overall goal - defeat the Old One. In Dark Souls I'm not even sure what I did even after finishing the game. It would have been nice to have a more well defined objective to lend some forward momentum to the gameplay. Instead it just kind of feels like you're just wandering around killing stuff until you run out of stuff to kill.

The storytelling is very meta. If all you want to do is run around and kill stuff then that's literally all you'll get out of it. If you read into the lore and talk to everyone and put the pieces together you will discover the story on your own.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

I have never killed or attacked a single NPC, but this thread has at least 30+ posts where people are complaining that they put their controller down and it attacked, or got nervous and attacked an NPC (some of whom look like monsters) and got royally hosed for it.

When I first played the game I got to the blacksmith and started using the soul items in my quick slots so I could afford an upgrade and when I ran out of soul items it went to the next item, which were firebombs, and it lobbed one right at the blacksmith. It took me forever to get enough souls to calm him down.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Once I was so high strung that I almost attacked an NPC just by reflex. It was a thing that was moving, so it was clearly an enemy.

edit: Save, quit, reload and you should be able to get his ring. It might appear where he spawned.

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

I swear I wrote something funny here.

Elysiume posted:

You said you had luck with your sigil at the campfire? I got summoned right at the fog wall and now I'm at the entrance to her spidery lair. I figure I'll try a whole bunch of locations. Does level 33 seem good for assisting on Quelaag?

That's about when I did the fight and I think I did a couple of assists first to get a feel for it and I got help when I did it myself.

At SL 41 I went back to farm shards and was dropping my summon sign just to see and got a lot of hits still. So I think the level range for that boss for getting summoned is pretty good.

The leeches are within summon range of the bonfire. Not sure about anyplace else. And they drop large titanite shards as well as 5 small green shards. I had the serpent ring from the fortress when I went back and the rusted ring and it made farming a breeze and getting summoned really helped to break it up.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

The little ones are adorable, the big ones are slow but will punch you so hard you loving die.
Do the little mushroom people drop anything useful?

I wish to murder them to find out, but they're so :3: it hurts. They'll probably make cute noises, too, and make me feel guilty about it.

... also, the last cute enemy turned me into an insta-statue the second I angered it. So there's that.

Donald Duck
Apr 2, 2007

Elysiume posted:

I was 32 when I killed her and I could see about 20 summoning signs at the door. So you should be good at 33.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
^^: Aw, I want to get summoned. I'm just standing here :saddowns:

That's a really good reason to drop my sigil by the fire. I'm sick of green titanite, though. 29 green that I have no use for right now.

Where is the fancy pyromancer trainer in the swamp? And does the first pyro trainer get himself killed no matter what if I talk to him again?

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Blighttown is terrifying me, and it's not just the framerate. I love the sense of real peril you get in this game that doesn't exist in many other games.

Pierson posted:

I am seriously just going to buy a PS3 for this game.

I figure by this point the thing must have other exclusive games that will justify it eventually, but really I just want to experience multiplayer Dark Souls.

I've got both but I bought it on Xbox and while I've been getting a decent amount of summonses it does mean sitting around for quite a while sometimes. After I finish it on the Xbox I might go and get a PS3 copy as well, maybe trade in the 360 version for it.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

What 30+ strength weapons to people here like, if any? I don't really see much talk about them, and was curious as to which have viable movesets.

As for multiplayer, the PS3, while probably better than the 360, isn't exactly rosy either. Don't think you'll switch and suddenly have summons and invasions galore. It still has the same general issues, just more people.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Holy crap combustion is an amazing spell. Fast good damage, and a hell load of charges. I wish I started out with that spell.

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Stuck in the middle with you.
Second try, didn't even see Solaire's summon sign, but I summoned another guy who bit it in about a minute (sorry ELEC7RIC GHOS7 :( ), and managed to bring down Gaping Dragon on my own. Now to find the door that matches this key :black101:

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
I edited the first post with the correct Seath stuff. Thanks to the people who pointed it out; it puts a whole lot of stuff about the archives into (horrifying) perspective.

Bland posted:

About the witch of Izalith

Quelana the pyromancer trainer in the swamp mentions this, and it's good that you pointed it out because I'm pretty sure it's the first event in what happened next.

At this point, there are some big spoilers compared to the first post, so I'm being a lot more conservative with spoiler bars. Tread with caution!

2. Everything goes to poo poo

The reason I theorized that the First Flame beginning to die was the catalyst for all of this is because it provides a rationale the Witch of Izalith and Gwyn's subsequent actions. It's not the only rationale, of course. We could just as easily say that they did what they did in order to gain more power. For our purposes, however, I'll be going with my theory.

The Witch of Izalith was the first to try to find a solution. She used her Lord's Soul in conjunction with her chaos magic to try to create another First Flame deep beneath the earth, but this went tremendously wrong. The result was the Bed of Chaos, which created the first-ever demon, the Firesage (the burning Vanguard you fight at the end of Demon Ruins), and then began to churn out legions of demons to match. The taint from the Bed of Chaos spread to the Witch's daughters, like Quelaag (the text from the Orange Charred Ring would suggest she also had a son who either became or produced the Centipede Demon). The flames spread further out of Lost Izalith and into the Demon Ruins, and through pyromancy and the chaotic nature of the magic involved, may have created the Ceaseless Discharge, which perpetuated the flow of lava in the area. It's also possible that the corruption resulted in the generally hellish nature of Blighttown, but given the proclivities of Anor Londo's inhabitants I'm willing to accept that they polluted their sewers with plagued stuff until Blighttown turned into a hellhole. Of all the chaos witches, only Quelana, the pyromancer trainer you meet in Blighttown, isn't a spider-thing. One interpretation of this is that Quelana is the Witch, even though she refers to the Witch in the third person and asks you to kill her and her progeny. If Quelana is not the Witch, perhaps the Witch was literally turned into the Bed of Chaos, which is kind of horrible, like most things in this game when you think about them.

At this point we can conclude that a little time passed, because Gwyn's knights are stated to have fought against the demons. It may be that this was the point where the Mark began to spread (Nito's doing?) and the undead started popping up in larger and larger numbers. The city underneath Anor Londo (the Undead Burg/Parish) was gradually overrun as its citizens went undead and began to subsequently hollow. Eventually, they just started rounding up the undead and shipping them off to asylums in order to hollow in isolation (like what happens to the player character), but it probably wasn't that bad at this point in the timeline.

Eventually, Gwyn decided something needed to be done, but it would have to be done right and drastic measures would need to be taken--look what happened with the Witch, after all. So he decided he would take one for the team and immolate himself in the First Fire, rejuvenating its flame and linking it to bonfires all over the land. In the process, he would become linked to the flame as well, and even without his Lord's Soul he would remain tremendously powerful. He declared his intent and some of his knights agreed to follow him in this undertaking--the rest stayed in the city to serve his daughter, Gwynevere, as the Silver Knights of Anor Londo. Before leaving, Gwyn split his Lord's Soul into five pieces. One piece was given to each of the Four Kings, who were leaders (probably people in offices of political, military, and economic power) in the lower city of New Londo. The final piece was given to Seath. Then Gwyn proceeded to the Kiln of the First Flame and executed his plan. It worked, but the knights who followed him were charred by the power of the newly-kindled flame, and their silver armor turned black.

Here, the timeline gets a little fuzzy. All of these things happened, but I'm not sure in which order or if they were happening concurrently.

Gwynevere gets married at some point, and leaves Anor Londo for happier places. Dark Sun Gwyndolin, Gwynevere's sibling and the last remaining god in the city, is aware that he (or she, it may be a translation error. I'll use he for convenience's sake) is kind of repulsive-looking and has nowhere near the commanding presence of the rest of his family. He creates an illusion of Gwynevere and keeps up appearances, making him the de facto ruler of Anor Londo and its subsidiaries).

Reports surface that a group in New Londo calling itself the Darkwraiths is murdering people and taking their precious humanity for unknown reasons. Eventually it becomes evident that there is a place of power under the city called the Abyss, which we can assume from the dark lord ending is where the primordial serpents live. Artorias, one of the Four Knights of Gwyn, is dispatched to deal with the threat, equipped with a special ring that allows him to traverse the Abyss and survive. Flavor text for the Cursed Greatsword of Artorias suggests that he entered into "an Abyssal covenant", so he may have become a Darkwraith once he spoke with Kaathe. In any case, he does not succeed. Eventually, bad becomes worse: the Four Kings are swayed by Kaathe's arguments, or maybe just seduced by the lure of power, and become Darkwraith lords. Gwyndolin, or whoever it is that's in charge of dealing with New Londo, orders the Abyss sealed, with the Kings in it. However, in sealing the Abyss, they flood New Londo, drowning the thousands of people who live there as they desperately try to escape the city walls. Their vengeful ghosts haunt the ruins now, atop the mountains of decaying bodies under the water.

Nito minds his own business. At some point, necromancers, possibly led by Pinwheel, set up shop in the upper reaches of his domain and begin to traffic with the skeletal undead. Perhaps skeletal undead are the 'true' undead, who don't need the cursed mark but were animated through other means. They don't seem particularly sapient, but then again, neither do hollows.

Left to his own devices, Seath begins poring over the archives to find the secret of the Scales of Immortality, and rapidly goes totally batshit insane. This may be just a product of immortality-obsession, like in many other fictional examples, but alternately there might be something about the research itself that involves Things Man Should Not Know. It might not be a coincidence that Big Hat Logan goes into the Duke's Archives to study Seath's repository and, shortly afterwards, turns up hollowed. He starts playing with crazy alchemy-genetic-magic experiments, probably resulting in the creation of the snake-men encountered in the archives and Sen's Fortress, as well as other creatures. It's very likely that many of Seath's test subjects are Gwynevere's white maidens kidnapped from Anor Londo, as evidenced by the following: 1) one of the corpses you find in the Archives has the entire white maiden set. 2) once you've purchased Rhea's miracles, she shows up as a hollow in the prison tower of the archives. 3) at the bottom of that same tower, there's a horde of tentacle-headed creatures who the flavor text on the key refers to as 'failed experiments'. Two of them, next to the giant cell in the back, are non-aggressive and can be heard crying in distinctly female voices, and when killed, they drop Princess Covenant miracles.

Somewhere in all of this, Seath either procreates or has a breakthrough in his experiments and creates a half-dragon, Priscilla. I prefer the former because it's an easy leap of logic from there to suggest that Gwyndolin sealed Priscilla in the Painted World out of retaliation to Seath for stealing the white maidens.

So basically everything is a mess. It's swiftly fallen apart and, without Gwyn around, is only showing signs of getting worse. Kingseeker Frampt goes against the wishes of the other primordial serpents (or so I assume, remember that they all bow down to you in the dark lord ending) and decides to get a "chosen undead" (the player character) to unseat Gwyn and take his place so that the First Flame can be kindled again and Anor Londo can prosper once more. Kaathe suggests that this is because Frampt, unlike the rest of his brethren, has fallen under the sway of the Gwyn family and is trying to perpetuate the cycle to keep them in power. I doubt Gwyn would suggest his own death just to ensure that the status quo remains, so that leaves one obvious culprit for orchestrating the plot of Dark Souls: Dark Sun Gwyndolin, who stands to gain the most from the player character not only making sure the First Flame stays burning, but knocking off the last person in the family with more power in the Anor Londo-controlled area than him, essentially making him the patriarch of the land as long as you keep taking his orders (whether through Frampt or otherwise).

The great thing is that this still leaves tons of questions. What was the relationship between Artorias, Alvina, and Sif? Who was Sen and what's the deal with his fortress? Why is Patches the Hyena in this?

That last one actually deserves a little more thought. Patches' appearance may mean that Dark Souls is in continuity with Demon's Souls. We never did see what was outside the Nexus. Perhaps the land of Dark Souls is inside the Giant's Archstone that we didn't get to visit, or maybe Boletaria is just across the globe from Londo. On the other hand, it's just as likely that it was a From gag - Patches' appearance doesn't mean Dark Souls is in continuity with Demon's Souls any more than Seath's appearance puts it in continuity with King's Field. Still, there are lots of interesting opportunities for conjecture, given how vague the story is.

Solomonic fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Oct 14, 2011

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Rascyc posted:

I just blocked them [the izalith boss' attacks].

So did I but I got blown away. This was me on the left :sotw:

Question about Quelaag's domain: I just reached rank 2 of the covenant so I should be able to use the Izalith shortcut. However my question is this: in the covenant room, there's the egg guy, the sister, her bonfire, and a hallway that leads to a dead-end. Does this dead-end have any purpose? It seems to cut off suddenly, as if it can open somehow or if it were an illusionary wall. It's quite solid, though.

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself
Well goddamn. I quit playing through the Tombs because it was too rough. Took one look at Blight and was hit with toxin three times for no reason, so I decided to head across that bridge to Londo and fight those three giants, which of course then turns into Blighttown. I feel like this game is testing me in a way I didn't want it to right now.

I guess the regular path to Londo?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
So there any reason at all to level strength or dex other than for weapon requirements? Stat scaling seems so lovely this time around I can't really imagine putting more than the bare minimum needed into them then maxing the gently caress outta vitality and endurance, and maybe any mage stats wanted.

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

Spiffo posted:

So did I but I got blown away. This was me on the left :sotw:

Question about Quelaag's domain: I just reached rank 2 of the covenant so I should be able to use the Izalith shortcut. However my question is this: in the covenant room, there's the egg guy, the sister, her bonfire, and a hallway that leads to a dead-end. Does this dead-end have any purpose? It seems to cut off suddenly, as if it can open somehow or if it were an illusionary wall. It's quite solid, though.

It opens from Lost Izalith. One ways doors suck.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

I think this is just a matter of perspective. I personally don't see any issue with being harshly penalized for assaulting friendly NPCs. Doing it by accident sucks, sure, but they can't exactly differentiate that, so you just have to be extra careful when around them. And being extra careful isn't exactly a foreign theme in these games, after all.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I've realized that my perfect RPG would play similar to Dark Souls, with Vagrant Story-level weapons customization. Both games share a pretty similar mood I think (and to a smaller extent FF12 at times), some people hated the system (more because of the convoluted affinities and stuff) but I loved naming all my own weapons (let me do this From!) and coming up with goofy combinations.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Glad to see the online lag from demon's souls is back. Just got backstabbed by a guy standing in front of me. I rolled away upon standing up, only to teleport back in front of him as he backstabbed me again. Ugh.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Merauder posted:

I think this is just a matter of perspective. I personally don't see any issue with being harshly penalized for assaulting friendly NPCs. Doing it by accident sucks, sure, but they can't exactly differentiate that, so you just have to be extra careful when around them. And being extra careful isn't exactly a foreign theme in these games, after all.

Or how about the NPC takes the first hit free and says, "Have you gone Hollow? What the heck?" as a differentiation. Or if the NPC kills you you get cursed and all's forgiven or any one of a thousand better solutions then, "If you hit this dude prepare to waste hours grinding or be denied access, forever."

Also, I was at an NPC and turning away and one of my dogs came gallomping up and nudged my hand, which made me attack. Luckily I just hit air. But I could have easily hit an NPC. And I am VERY CAREFUL.

The reality is that there's rewarding smart and careful play, and then there's being harshly punitive toward the player for no real reason other than to be a dick, and their NPC system is exactly that, and you lap it up just like all those Everquest fanboys lapped up their game's horrible decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I just love my nailbat +10. I'm sure all the enemies love having their heads caved in by it too!

• Locked thread