Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Still always liked the achievements that actually gave you a reward for doing them. Like Dead Rising unlocking new unlocks in your safe house for future playthrough. Would never 100% that game if it didn't have stuff like the Megaman Blaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It seems so stupid to me that more games don't do that. Mass Effect giving you passive bonuses you could carry over into NG+ was a great idea too.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I honestly don't get why more games don't have fun with achievements/trophies. It can't be THAT hard to implement and it makes those things so much more rewarding. Only games that I can think of that do that is Mass Effect and Uncharted (and I guess Dead Rising, because some guy mentioned it. I never actually played it enough to find that out).

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Well, one possibility is that its a result of devs using the achievements for market research, so the achievements would match their goals as far as research rather than the player's goals as far as having fun.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Xion314 posted:

Which is why I won't even consider going for most platinum trophies (Portal 2 being my most recent instance, despite my mild interest in the co-op). Then again, the only times I even get a fair amount of trophies are when casually playing through the game nets you more than 50% of the trophies (Infamous 1 & 2, Assassin's Creed 2, etc)

But Portal 2 is actually fairly easy! (I say, not having finished it myself because someone still has my copy.) Plus, you should definitely try out the co-op (even if just locally) as it kinda continues the story a little and it's really, really fun to figure everything out with a buddy. Unless they're retarded, then it's torture. Just as GLaDOS intended!

SamBishop fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Oct 13, 2011

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Assassin's Creed 2 and Brotehrhood (and a few other Ubisoft games, I think) had UPlay set up, which was pretty neat. You'd do something in-game, get points for it, then unlock a little trinket that had no real bearing on the game, but was neat otherwise. Both games had Altaïr skins, and I think there were some new areas to explore, too. I wish more companies would do that.

XionPi
May 8, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, one possibility is that its a result of devs using the achievements for market research, so the achievements would match their goals as far as research rather than the player's goals as far as having fun.

New trophy!: find a bug in-game and submit a bug-report.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I still remember the early days of achievements and trophies. I don't know about the ps3, but the 360's achievement scoring system was a joke back then. I remembered they had a contest for who can get 1k in a week type award. The reward was Contra (lovely port though).. and yet everyone realized, quick way to get 1k? Play Madden 06, easiest way. Might be way they haven't done that.

Multiplayer achievements are just downright stupid. I could see the reason, give the player an incentive to do something, but they are just downright dumb. Win 10,000 matches, get this many kills. It was just overkill..Not to mention the fact it encourage players to play a certain way. Ever run into those guys who go NO I'M the one with the sniper, i'm just going for sniper kills.. just because of that stupid loving 100 kill sniper crap.

PS3 trophies had its faults as well, but some at least felt great. One example was whoever got 100% first in GTA, got some actual physical reward out of it. I thought that was a nice touch.. considering the fact that you had to kill 200 pigeons for it.

It's like everyone said, I wish achievements tied into more like what unlocks in game for you. That gives far more encouragement that a little "ting" for something you did. Developers these days think multiplayer is a neccesity to keep a game being played. While this is true, I also wish they learn that players should be rewarded for doing certain tasks and giving them points to purchase in game (not actual money like they did in the past *coughEAcough*) I rather have achievements give me a chance to buy a weapon or a skin then some arbitrary number that is nothing more than good pat in the back type thing or e penis as they say.

Ein Bear
Mar 26, 2010

Oh Sirrah, how deliciously absurd!
It was quite cool to start Gears of War 3 a few days ago and unlock a bunch of stuff for having achievements in GoW1/2. Do any PS3 games do anything similar?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Ein Bear posted:

It was quite cool to start Gears of War 3 a few days ago and unlock a bunch of stuff for having achievements in GoW1/2. Do any PS3 games do anything similar?
In Uncharted 2, if you had an Uncharted 1 save, you'd get extra money in multiplayer, and if you had a completed U1 save, you'd get a LOT of extra money. ;)

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Ein Bear posted:

Yakuza 4 gives you a couple items for having a Yakuza 3 save. They aren't anything special though.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Ein Bear posted:

I can't think of any, but obviously Mass Effect 3's story will be altered depending on how you played ME2, which is actually another pretty cool thing more games should do with sequels.

Edit: Goddamn I forgot about Uncharted again, but in my defense I've hardly touched multiplayer.

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca
Infamous 2 and Dead Space 2 give you some extras as well if you have trophies from the previous games, but I can't quite remember what.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
LA Noire is now a bit more cohesive and I'm enjoying it OK. Sometimes, it feels like I'm thinking more than the game is (or the developers were) though.

In The Consul's Car, I (as in the player) wanted to find a clue about the broken window, because there was broken glass on the ground and on the seat where the car was found. So the situation, to me, looked like the car might not have been stolen, but was meant to look like it was stolen. I then proceeded to try and fail repeatedly to get Phelps to actually detect this clue I thought was so vital.

In A Marriage Made In Heaven, I did good in finding a bloody knife in the garbage, suggesting the guy was injured prior to the hit-and-run. Of course, you'd think a stabbing that leaves a knife drenched in blood would also leave some blood around that wasn't in keeping with the hit-and-run impact, so I kept wandering around looking for more blood. There was none. You later find out he was stabbed in the heart, so I think I was right to be looking for more blood.

By the way I'm not the only one who totally hears Bob Saget as Phelps, right? I know it's not him (supposedly), but I can't not hear his voice as Bob Saget. That makes the game better.

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.

Jamesman posted:

LA Noire is now a bit more cohesive and I'm enjoying it OK. Sometimes, it feels like I'm thinking more than the game is (or the developers were) though.

In The Consul's Car, I (as in the player) wanted to find a clue about the broken window, because there was broken glass on the ground and on the seat where the car was found. So the situation, to me, looked like the car might not have been stolen, but was meant to look like it was stolen. I then proceeded to try and fail repeatedly to get Phelps to actually detect this clue I thought was so vital.

I screwed this case up so much. I never even got around to talking to the consul so in the end the chief is telling me I caught a pedophile and I was wondering when in the hell I did that.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Ein Bear posted:

If you had saves for the previous Ratchet and clank PS3 games you got a discount on new weapons and an extra skin for ratchet.

In Resistance 3 earning trophies (and multiplayer medals) gives you points which you buy extra stuff (like concept art, videos, and in game cheats like infinite ammo, health regen mode and giving enemies better weapons.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

So there's some new 3rd person shooter game in Home today to celebrate Uncharted 3, anyone else try it?

It's not that bad, kind of janky because it's a Home game but a nice time killer. It's also one of those bullshit "time unlock" games so you can only play one level until the 20th.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
More games need to bring back New Game+. Im always disappointed when I beat a RPG and it doesn't have it.

Policenaut posted:

So there's some new 3rd person shooter game in Home today to celebrate Uncharted 3, anyone else try it?

It's not that bad, kind of janky because it's a Home game but a nice time killer. It's also one of those bullshit "time unlock" games so you can only play one level until the 20th.

I can't believe you are still using Home.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Baggot posted:

It was confirmed on Konami's American website. We just don't know the details. I'm going to guess that it's likely they'll release a PSV version of MGS2&3 and you'll have to buy that separately, but the saves will transfer from the PS3 version and vice-versa.

I'm torn on whether to pre-order the LE of MGSHDC. $30 extra seems like a lot for just an art book.

Really? Kojima made a pretty big point last month of saying that "transfarring" will only be available on the Japanese version.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Resident Evil 5 Gold and Super Street Fighter 4 both (I think) unlock stuff if you have save files from the original versions, not 100% sure about RE5 though.

Edit: But I guess that's more "thanks for paying for this twice".

XionPi
May 8, 2006

...! posted:

Really? Kojima made a pretty big point last month of saying that "transfarring" will only be available on the Japanese version.

When did he personally say anything like that? The only thing I've seen so far that hints at it is a vague line on a TGS pamphlet (which I'm still confident was actually just making a distinction between the PS3 and 360 versions and not the specific region).

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Xion314 posted:

When did he personally say anything like that? The only thing I've seen so far that hints at it is a vague line on a TGS pamphlet (which I'm still confident was actually just making a distinction between the PS3 and 360 versions and not the specific region).

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/09/16/transfarring-only-coming-to-japan-versions-of-mgs-hd/

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

I hate multiplayer trophies. If a game has them I just ignore the trophies altogether, because there's no way I'm getting plat anyway.

Just been trying some PSN demos. That graffiti spraypainting platform game, whatever it's called. Bit underwhelming. And Castlevania: Harmony of Despair, which started off looking promisingly like the HD SotN that Konami would commission if they liked money and weren't dumb - except that it seems to have time limits, and no way to equip stuff, and a stupid spike jump that kicks my arse every single time because gently caress knows what you're supposed to land on. gently caress it, life's too short.

Rakanakle
Mar 17, 2009

That's for the standalone Peace Walker HD, not the MGS collection. Are they the same thing even? Still sounds pretty vague to me.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

...! posted:

That's nice and all but you have to actually plat the game before you can play Deus Ex.

Nnnnnoooooooo :arghfist::( Don't tempt me. I'm in love with New Vegas and poo poo someday I would like to plat it, but... I just... I want to play Deus Ex. :smith:

Morpheus posted:

Armored Core: For Answer has an achievement where you must win 10 000 online matches. 10k. Not just play, but win.

I consider myself a mild trophy whore, but goddamn.

Hooooly poo poo. :psyboom: I can't... I can't even imagine how much time this would take. Even just grinding it with someone willing to join 10k matches with you and sit there while you beat them. Holy gently caress.

XionPi
May 8, 2006

Rakanakle posted:

That's for the standalone Peace Walker HD, not the MGS collection. Are they the same thing even? Still sounds pretty vague to me.

Every other region gets all 3 games in one bundle, but Japan has Peace Walker separated from the others. Though, they also get a MGS1 voucher with the Collection.
Regardless, it's still the same article I was referring to, which doesn't have any statements from Kojima (or anyone at all). The only information is an asterisk and this small print:

"TRANSFARRING (save data sharing) compatible with PSP version*
*Japanese PS3 version only."

I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't be a worldwide feature, so I'm not too worried. I just wish someone would make an official statement to clarify.

Edit: Wait, that kinda makes sense now. Only Japan will have a Peace Walker HD standalone release on PS3/360, so saying "Japanese PS3 version only" leaves only the Japanese 360 version since no other regions get Peace Walker HD as a standalone title. However, I can imagine them not making a transfarring-version of Peace Walker for the US/EU PSP, and instead just focusing on the Vita version. Kinda sucks, but definitely something I could deal with if true.

XionPi fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 14, 2011

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Dominic White posted:

They seem to push people to do horrible things to themselves that nobody should ever consider doing for fun. And people do it. Why!? I could just about understand it if each achievement earned you a little store credit or something, but I've taken to disabling achievement notifications on the 360 now. They're just kinda annoying.
Before Achievements I had friends that would play old RPGs and 100% the game on each save file offered. People have always been crazy completionists in games, but now you get some kind of acknowledgment from it.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Pipski posted:

I hate multiplayer trophies. If a game has them I just ignore the trophies altogether, because there's no way I'm getting plat anyway.

This is my weird rule regarding trophies. I have to get at least 50% of the trophies, regardless if they have multiplayer trophies or not. If not, then I'll only strive to plat the game if I really enjoy playing it. I've got plats on Demon's Souls, Batman: AA, the Uncharted games, Heavy Rain and all 3 God of War games.

I also have 100% on all 5 episodes of Sam and Max: Season 3 and 100% on Flower but I don't get plats for those games. :argh:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

MrMidnight posted:

I also have 100% on all 5 episodes of Sam and Max: Season 3 and 100% on Flower but I don't get plats for those games. :argh:

That's fine for Sam and Max because 100% in all 5 episodes is actually worth more experience than what you would get if they were all in a single 50-someodd Trophy list.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Saw a commercial for that Skylanders Spyro's Adventure thing today while getting my daughter ready for school. As a kid I would have thought that was cool as hell, action figures you can use as characters in a Spyro-style platformer. If it turns out to be an even halfway decent Spyro sequel I may have to justify a purchase "for my daughter".

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Anyway the point is that it is transparent this time, you don't have to worry about making and mounting memcards yourself.

This is old sorry, but the dude's point was he was asking if his old save would work.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Policenaut posted:

That's fine for Sam and Max because 100% in all 5 episodes is actually worth more experience than what you would get if they were all in a single 50-someodd Trophy list.

Y'know, I know there's rules, policies etc which govern what games can get what trophies, but I've always felt that every game "deserves" a plat. If you 100% the game, obviously you put a lot of effort in, why not give that extra trophy to really signify to the world that you totally dominated another game?

I guess people would say WELL THAT MAKES THE PLATINUM IN XXXXX EQUAL TO THE PLATINUM IN YYYYY AND YYYYY IS A DUMB SIMPLE GAME AND MY TROPHIES!!

... which I kind of get, in a way.

Also yeah MP trophies are lame unless they're really simple like "play one game from every game type" or "win a match" or something easy, not like that monstrous Armored Core 10k victory thing.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
I forget the exact math but it was something like a "small" PSN title is worth 21 bronzes, and a full title is worth 85 bronzes - with 18 of those bronzes coming from the plat(a silver is worth 2 bronzes and a gold is worth 6 bronzes).

They loosely based this on XBL where a full game gets 1000 points and a small XBLA game gets 200 points. Giving a PSN title a plat would seriously boost its value and make them worth a lot more than full games trophy-wise as far as trophies per playing time goes.

There also used to be standard values for DLC packages but they seem to be more liberal with those now.

Note: I don't give a poo poo about my trophies(I have zero plats), but math is fun. I guess I'd have some plats though if little PSN games had them.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 14, 2011

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
There are actually a couple of PSN games that have Plats, like Dead Nation for example.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I have 1 platinum trophy, and I didn't even know it until I decided to compare trophies with a friend. It's Sly Cooper.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Cbouncerrun posted:

There are actually a couple of PSN games that have Plats, like Dead Nation for example.

Note I said "small" PSN games. There are two levels of games(one with 21 worth of bronzes, one with like 85 worth of bronzes including a plat). There are some PSN games that are treated as the higher level, sometimes due to price and sometimes just because.

Wipeout HD was an early example of a PSN game treated as the higher level(granted it had a physical release in some territories).

But there's no such thing as a game that has the smaller complement of trophies but with a platinum(which would increase the trophy value of the game by more than 50%).

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Oct 14, 2011

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think plats are kind of special though. It doesn't matter that you would get more points from all five Sam and Maxes than you would if it were a single game with a plat, that plat signifies that you have conquered that game. In a sea of bronzes, silvers and golds it stands alone to signify something sorta special, if you care about those things. It's more of a indicator of your efforts than your actual trophy level.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Sucker Punch have announced an Infamous 2 Mission Editor Competition. You have to create a "Narrative" mission and submit it before October 25nd. To make the cut, the level must have a user rating of 4.5 stars and have at least 15 ratings.

"One grand prize winner will receive a one-of-a kind Good and Evil Cole statue from inFAMOUS 2, their mission featured in-game as a highlighted mission, $1,000.00 in PlayStation®Store credit in the form of a voucher (voucher will be emailed to the winner’s email address that is linked to their PSN ID), a signed copy of inFAMOUS 2 by the Sucker Punch team, and the winning mission will be highlighted on the PlayStation Blog. Two runner-ups will each have their designed mission featured in-game as a highlighted mission, $100.00 in PlayStation®Store credit in the form of a voucher , and the mission highlighted on the PlayStation Blog."

I really want to enter, but creating missions takes a long time if you don't know precisely what you're doing. I've only created one mission before - it took around six hours + some tweaking and you can beat it in one minute... Are there any creative Goons here who wants to give it a try? Or if you don't want to mess around with the mission editor you can come up with some ideas others can use!

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Oct 15, 2011

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I question getting inFamous 2 as a prize in a contest where you need inFamous 2 to enter it in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jamesman posted:

I question getting inFamous 2 as a prize in a contest where you need inFamous 2 to enter it in the first place.

Well, presumably you'd want to keep the signed copy sealed.

• Locked thread