Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Psyker posted:

Anor Lando snipers :emo:

Another fun story from NG+, I got all the way up the ramp to an archer, sprinting along the wall pretty much facing it at a 45 degree angle because I'm paranoid about falling off, I get hit by the archer when I have my shield up and it knocks me backwards relative to where my character is facing instead of where the shot came from.

So I blocked and got knocked sideways off the ledge :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

lohli posted:

Are you in the Way of White or that other one(warrior of sunlight?) that is supposed to be good for getting summoned?

I think WoW was supposed to make it easier to join other players on top of the miracle powerup thing?

If the latter ignores SL then I think I know which covenant I'm going to settle on after I get my goodies from the other groups.

Yeah, I started in it as a knight.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Beat Four Kings solo and have moved on to the Demon Ruins so I can get to Lost Izalith (apparently).

And that's when I saw the twelve or so Capra Demons. :argh:

At least the boss is just a fiery looking retread of the Stray Demon. That shouldn't be too hard.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
Capras are easy at that level, just dodge the initial jumping double attack at all costs. That's the one that really hurts.

Also, that's not the only boss. Not by a long shot.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Shlapintogan posted:

At least the boss is just a fiery looking retread of the Stray Demon. That shouldn't be too hard.

Thats not the boss, the real boss is after him.

Bobby Cox
Nov 3, 2006

College Slice
I've never gotten the feeling in a video game that anyone's quite wanted me so dead as Gwyn did. Dude was ruthless. I'd get a post between us and he'd keep swinging and kicking.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Oct 15, 2011

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Rated PG-34 posted:

Maybe it's because I always run around with 0 humanity and my curse res is near nil at that point.

The only times I've ever had >0 humanity are while summoning people, when I'm feeding the lady in quelaag's lair humanity, when I kill a boss with dudes.

Whenever I have humanity, I promptly lose it.

The one exception is when I wanted to see how the drop rate was affected by it and ate all the humanity I'd gotten from massacreing my NPCs.

keyframe posted:

Thats not the boss, the real boss is after him.

FYI, that isn't the real boss, the real one is after him.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Psyker posted:

That's what I did. Then I turned towards the right one because gently caress-if-i-know-where-i'm-going, and he whipped some big rear end sword out and hit me into the wall, then off the ledge.

Just keep your back to the wall as best you can, never turn it towards the ledge, and just let him bounce his sword off your shield until he falls off the edge.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

Psyker posted:

That's what I did. Then I turned towards the right one because gently caress-if-i-know-where-i'm-going, and he whipped some big rear end sword out and hit me into the wall, then off the ledge.

I tried to kick him off, and he just soaked up the kick like a boss so I panicked and threw my shield up...

And he bounced his own rear end off the ledge off of my shield. :c00lbert:

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Ran into first hacker maybe??? He can roll consecutively hella fast in medium armor with a shield and a daemon great hammer or whatever from the asylum demon and can't be backstabbed and can do a full 5 swing combo with claymore and then roll 3 times and also he takes no damage.

Either hacking or he is like SL1000000 and I'm 30 and poo poo.

edit: The ninja NPC backstabbed him and it did zero???? I hit him with lightning spear for zero, bleed proc dagger for zero. I just hid and he went and fought Sif.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Oct 15, 2011

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Being cursed can eat a dick.

Followed the advice in the OP, but not seeing the stone I need. Do I need to leave or something?

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Scoobi posted:

Ran into first hacker maybe??? He can roll consecutively hella fast in medium armor with a shield and a daemon great hammer or whatever from the asylum demon and can't be backstabbed and can do a full 5 swing combo with claymore and then roll 3 times and also he takes no damage.

Either hacking or he is like SL1000000 and I'm 30 and poo poo.

360?

Alteisen posted:

Being cursed can eat a dick.

Followed the advice in the OP, but not seeing the stone I need. Do I need to leave or something?

Talk to the guy at the top of the parish for purging stones, 4k a piece iirc.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

lohli posted:

360?

Yea I'm on the 360. I guess if he had stamina shield (not sure what it looks like) havels ring and maybe like a stamina ring/hat(??) he could roll around. Really high stats + iron flesh maybe make him invincible? What game mechanics would have a player do literally zero damage to a player in a vulnerable state.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

lohli posted:

360?

I'm not dropping literally every soul I have on that guy, if I can get for the invading stones I never use I will.

I just want to know what I have to do to get them to show up.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Aside from the wheel skeletons and trying to not die when jumping down that shaft to the blacksmith, The Catacombs were honestly pretty easy, but then I went in there swinging a Divine Mace +5. Wielding a fire whip +3 now, which seems to be dealing decent damage to those snakemen in Sen's Fortress, but I get the feeling I'm still not properly equipped to deal with them yet. Are they supposed to be the hardest "normal" enemy I've encountered yet? I've tried various weapon times on them, and thus far fire is the only thing to even be viable, but they're still big damage sponges.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Oct 15, 2011

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Where is the Tranquil Walk of Peace in the Catacombs? The Guide's map is kind of poo poo.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Scoobi posted:

Yea I'm on the 360. I guess if he had stamina shield (not sure what it looks like) havels ring and maybe like a stamina ring/hat(??) he could roll around. Really high stats + iron flesh maybe make him invincible? What game mechanics would have a player do literally zero damage to a player in a vulnerable state.
He's definitely not rolling with Iron Flesh.

Hell Diver posted:

Where is the Tranquil Walk of Peace in the Catacombs? The Guide's map is kind of poo poo.
Keep falling down pits until you can climb a ladder.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Rollersnake posted:

Aside from the wheel skeletons and trying to not die when jumping down that shaft to the blacksmith, The Catacombs were honestly pretty easy, but then I went in there swinging a Divine Mace +5. Wielding a fire whip +3 now, which seems to be dealing decent damage to those snakemen in Sen's Fortress, but I get the feeling I'm still not properly equipped to deal with them yet. Are they supposed to be the hardest "normal" enemy I've encountered yet? I've tried various weapon times on them, and thus far fire is the only thing to even be viable, but they're still big damage sponges.

When I first went there I was doing 23 damage and it took awhile to kill them, then I found my new favorite weapon in there. not too far in you'll find a mimic that drops a lightning spear, this will do over 100 damage to the snakes if I remember correctly

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I guess I might as well have spent them as I decided to go inside the asylum only to fall in front of some demon, get one shotted and lose 2 humanity and 8k souls.

Think I've had enough of this game's horseshit, it blurs the line between challenging and cheap nonsense far to often.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

lohli posted:

The only times I've ever had >0 humanity are while summoning people, when I'm feeding the lady in quelaag's lair humanity, when I kill a boss with dudes.

Whenever I have humanity, I promptly lose it.

I was exactly the same. I just started a new run as a knight and I'm going to try the opposite playstyle of what I did last time; I went for the best defense I could get but while also maintaining <50% equip burden for agility (so basically I wore the Gold trimmed clothing a lot. I swapped in the black iron gloves when I got my endurance up high enough), and using the Gravelord greatsword, with most of my stats going into endurance and strength.

This time around I'm not going to care about equip burden so long as I'm not overburdened, and try to invest heavily in vitality, endurance, and resistance, then use a nice quick custom weapon like a fire longsword. I want to see if having lots of defense actually makes a big difference. So far I'm just past the Taurus demon without dying! Well actually, I got killed in one shot by the dragon on the bridge when he torched me showing up (FYI: Do NOT try to block the fire. You take MORE damage that way - because you don't get knocked down, and thus no mercy invincibility to carry you through all the other fire damage!), but I had the ring of sacrifice on from under the aquaduct in the beginning, so it didn't count :3:

On a related note, I think the game is pretty fair most of the time, but that "blocking makes you die, not blocking makes you live" thing is one of the few cases where it gets annoying, because the game mechanics work out to be the complete opposite of what you expect should happen. I've also noticed that you seem to take more damage if you get hit while dodging than if you're just standing there doing nothing, so with extremely wide area attacks it's almost better to just stand there and take it than try to push your luck in avoiding it. Well that and the unblockable grab attacks that so many enemies have that just eat 80% of your health from full. Those are pretty bullshit. What's the point of having this multi-hit grab attack if there's absolutely no way to break out of it early?

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Oct 15, 2011

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Alteisen posted:

I guess I might as well have spent them as I decided to go inside the asylum only to fall in front of some demon, get one shotted and lose 2 humanity and 8k souls.

Think I've had enough of this game's horseshit, it blurs the line between challenging and cheap nonsense far to often.
How exactly is it bullshit to give you an easy, avoidable boss fight like 10 feet away from a respawn point?

I think the only cheap/lovely parts of the game are the Lost Izalith, New Londo ghosts, toxin, and merchants/spell teachers disappearing and poo poo and selling way too varied amounts of things/way too little things.

ONE merchant in the game sells normal arrows. One.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I really can't wait for that multiplayer patch, assuming it fixes the God-awful "someone lags, and you get back-stabbed" glitch.

And how come no matter what, I'm always the one who gets backstabbed, or hit even though I'm ten feet away? Never the other guy...never.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So do the baby skeletons in the pit right before the boss in tomb of the giants respawn? If they didn't toxin you, that would be a great soul farming spot otherwise.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

^^^^ They do but they are terrible farming dude. Try farming in the forest or at the second anor londo bonfire.

DrBouvenstein posted:

I really can't wait for that multiplayer patch, assuming it fixes the God-awful "someone lags, and you get back-stabbed" glitch.

And how come no matter what, I'm always the one who gets backstabbed, or hit even though I'm ten feet away? Never the other guy...never.

If demon souls and basically any online game released in the last 15 years is any indication, no, lag will not be patched out.

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

DeathSandwich posted:

So do the baby skeletons in the pit right before the boss in tomb of the giants respawn? If they didn't toxin you, that would be a great soul farming spot otherwise.

Yes, and it is a great spot even still.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bobnumerotres posted:

How exactly is it bullshit to give you an easy, avoidable boss fight like 10 feet away from a respawn point?

I think the only cheap/lovely parts of the game are the Lost Izalith, New Londo ghosts, toxin, and merchants/spell teachers disappearing and poo poo and selling way too varied amounts of things/way too little things.

Two actually.

The merchant on top of Sen's Fortress sells them too - the one where you have to jump across the little gap in the narrow walkways: Crestfallen Merchant. The jump is easier than it looks - if you mess up the fall is non-fatal, assuming you aren't already badly hurt.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Just got the drake sword and I feel awesome.

I'm sitting at level 17 after about five hours of dicking around.

16 vit, 12 attune, 14 end, 16 str, 12 dex, 12 resist, 10 int, 8 faith

I had my first multiplayer experience today. Summoned a guy into my world and we went through destroying everything up to the taurus demon and killed the mofo. Then I sat under the dragon bridge and fired about 20 arrows into his tail to get the sword.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
I just bought this, but haven't finish Demon's Souls (I'm like 3/4 of the way through with a faith/melee build). Will I ever go back if I throw Dark Souls in?

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
SL14 on my pyro and I'm getting an insane amount of summons on the Capra Demon.

About 3 in the 8 so far have died as soon as they walk in.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Smelly posted:

SL14 on my pyro and I'm getting an insane amount of summons on the Capra Demon.

About 3 in the 8 so far have died as soon as they walk in.
Try opening with a firestorm. It will probably kill the dogs and severely injure the demon. A great combustion or a great chaos fireball should finish it off. That has been my normal method for white phantoming the capra demon as a pyro.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Alteisen posted:

Leave the asylum and come back to it much later, like, when you've rung the second bell, you stumbled onto an optional boss far too early.

The game really has very few bullshit moments and dying a bunch is par for the course, if you die to something like the map layout, then you know better for next time that you may have to take your time and be careful, if you die in a fight you should be able to see where you went wrong and hopefully try not to make the same mistake again, if something looks like a no-hope situation then you either need to summon a phantom or head somewhere else.

A big part of this game is learning, and you should expect to die to every type of enemy at least once.

pctD
Aug 25, 2009

Pillbug
So I killed Quelaag...how the gently caress do I get back to Firelink?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Bastard Tetris posted:

I just bought this, but haven't finish Demon's Souls (I'm like 3/4 of the way through with a faith/melee build). Will I ever go back if I throw Dark Souls in?

Yes, to laugh at it considering how much harder Dark Souls is. Also you might want to plat Demon's Souls just to be smug.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bobnumerotres posted:

The fact that its a big gently caress off hole I fell into and the boss one shots me? I didn't even reach my bloodstain, fell down the hole again, boss did something and I died again, sorry but that's bullshit to me. That's on top of the time I had to spent dealing with that curse nonsense.

And how in the blazing gently caress is ANYBODY supposed to figure how to break the curse poo poo on their own? What if they don't have 4k souls to drop on stones, what if they don't even remember that guy having them? Or they haven't reached the area the game mentions when you're initially cursed.

Obtuse is one thing, extremely annoying and lovely status effect and a pain in the rear end to remove without seeking other resources is another.

Whatever, not my game, merely borrowed it from someone who couldn't even beat the asylum demon, I was right on my initial assessment when I first started hearing about this game, I am getting way to old to deal with developer nonsense that's sold as "features" and "challenge".

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
If you're not on new game + how can you have great chaos fireball before capra demon? Master key?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

andrew smash posted:

If you're not on new game + how can you have great chaos fireball before capra demon? Master key?

Possibly, but he mentioned he was getting summons there, not fighting it himself, so he may have cleared farther into the game than the Capra demon - it's just a good place to farm humanity because EVERYONE wants help.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
So I've restarted my cleric and I am far more successful this time around. I plan on going primarily strength and faith so I can swing maces and cast miracles, but I'd also like to be able to use a bow to deal with poo poo at range. What kind of dexterity should I be expected to have to reliably use a bow?

edit: Just discovered alternate pages of stats; one of which shows required parameters for items!

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Filthy Monkey posted:

Try opening with a firestorm. It will probably kill the dogs and severely injure the demon. A great combustion or a great chaos fireball should finish it off. That has been my normal method for white phantoming the capra demon as a pyro.
The problem is, those 3 died before I could walk in. :eng99:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

pctD posted:

So I killed Quelaag...how the gently caress do I get back to Firelink?
Find the waterwheel/elevator. Careful, it's slippery and you might die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

andrew smash posted:

Yeah you could probably use the Master Key to take the Valley of Drakes shortcut into Blighttown so you can kill Quelaag and join the covenant before you kill Capra.

• Locked thread