Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Possibly, but he mentioned he was getting summons there, not fighting it himself, so he may have cleared farther into the game than the Capra demon - it's just a good place to farm humanity because EVERYONE wants help.

Oh, I missed that. I would still assume you'd mostly left behind the window for capra by the time you've killed quelaag but maybe people are just grinding a ton to take him down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

andrew smash posted:

Oh, I missed that. I would still assume you'd mostly left behind the window for capra by the time you've killed quelaag but maybe people are just grinding a ton to take him down?
I'm at anor londo at SL14. It's not hard when you upgrade your gear.

Beating the game on another character already helped.

Refind Chaos
Sep 16, 2007

King of 'tisms mountain
I've started noticing on occasion a heavily armored guy (looks kind of like the starting knight armor) sitting around bonfires. He only appears for a few seconds (not another pc) before disappearing. I can't interact with him in anyway, and he fades out after about 10 seconds or after I rest at said bonfire. Just curious who this is, and just what this indicates in game.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Refind Chaos posted:

I've started noticing on occasion a heavily armored guy (looks kind of like the starting knight armor) sitting around bonfires. He only appears for a few seconds (not another pc) before disappearing. I can't interact with him in anyway, and he fades out after about 10 seconds or after I rest at said bonfire. Just curious who this is, and just what this indicates in game.

Players near bonfires show up in full color (slightly transparent) and full gear.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

andrew smash posted:

It depends what you're spending your souls on too. I've been surprised at how low level some people are in certain parts of the game - I finished the game at 83 because I didn't really buy much from merchants aside from a couple spells and the various key items, so every soul I got (that I didn't lose :argh:) went into my stats. At the Four Kings I was getting summoned in to people's games that were in NG+ at the exact same point I was in my first game. I guess if you buy a lot of spells you'd be a lot lower level overall. They're quite expensive.

*edit*

More than that, but I believe this is an indication of who last used the bonfire, and thus who's going to get a bonus flask if you kindle it. It serves no practical purpose but it's kind of neat.
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Refind Chaos posted:

That's another player sitting at the bonfire. They randomly flash into your world sometimes just to let you know there's other people pushing on in the same area as you :)

Refind Chaos
Sep 16, 2007

King of 'tisms mountain

Crowbear posted:

That's another player sitting at the bonfire. They randomly flash into your world sometimes just to let you know there's other people pushing on in the same area as you :)

Cool. Interesting I saw what seemed to be the same player in two distinct locations.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Crowbear posted:

I swear I've had these guys gesture at me but every time I try to do it back they fade out first :(

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Alteisen, when you respawned after getting cursed it should have told you that you can use purging stones or talk to the dude at the top of the Undead Parish to get uncursed.

I remember seeing that message both times I got cursed

It sucks that it doesn't seem to be your type of game for now, given how far you are already I recommend coming back to it in a couple of days and giving it another go when you aren't annoyed at the game.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Okay, how do I kill the huge horrible parasite thing in blighttown? The one guarding the pyromancy spell? Nothing I hit it with seems to visible damage it.

pctD
Aug 25, 2009

Pillbug

Elysiume posted:

Find the waterwheel/elevator. Careful, it's slippery and you might die.

Hmm... The one by the sweet armor with the dogs and the blow dart guys?

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Refind Chaos posted:

Cool. Interesting I saw what seemed to be the same player in two distinct locations.
Yup, I had one guy who was going at about the same pace I was the other day; was really neat to see him pop up at different bonfires several times.

What's also cool, if they walk away from it, you can watch them become a typical ghost.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Alteisen posted:

The fact that its a big gently caress off hole I fell into and the boss one shots me? I didn't even reach my bloodstain, fell down the hole again, boss did something and I died again, sorry but that's bullshit to me. That's on top of the time I had to spent dealing with that curse nonsense.
Fooled me once, shame on you. Fooled me twice, shame on me. Pay attention to where the death spot is, plan to start hopping the second you get down there. Not hard.

quote:

And how in the blazing gently caress is ANYBODY supposed to figure how to break the curse poo poo on their own? What if they don't have 4k souls to drop on stones, what if they don't even remember that guy having them? Or they haven't reached the area the game mentions when you're initially cursed.
The game literally puts a giant text marquee across the screen about what exactly you need to do. By the time you're in the sewers being cursed you can reliably get high amounts of souls/kill rats for humanity.

Also, don't pretend google doesn't exist. The game's philosophy is minimal hand-holding and only giving the player essential information, and letting you figure out the rest, usually the hard way.

quote:

Whatever, not my game, merely borrowed it from someone who couldn't even beat the asylum demon, I was right on my initial assessment when I first started hearing about this game, I am getting way to old to deal with developer nonsense that's sold as "features" and "challenge".

There is very very very little in the game that can't be resolved by "let me be more careful next time." If you can't get past the first asylum demon (after you've retrieved your weapon and stabbed it in the face) no matter how many times you try you are using a very poor strategy and sticking to it hoping to get lucky or hoping the game will eventually dumb it down or ask you if you want to put it on baby mode.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Oct 15, 2011

kater
Nov 16, 2010

So it seems firing 6-7 fire arrows into the same spot pretty much breaks the game while they are burning. I found this out while pumping the Valley of Drakes boss full of em.

I also found out that it pays to over-invest when trying to cheese stuff. ~100 fire arrows into that fucker and I figure I've gotten him low enough it'll only take a swing or two to bring it down and seconds later I'm retrieving my corpse with 10k souls in arrows wasted. :darksouls:

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!

pctD posted:

Hmm... The one by the sweet armor with the dogs and the blow dart guys?

If you're facing directly out from Quelaag's entrance, it should be dead-center in front of you.

Or, in other terms, go left out of Quelaag's entrance and follow the wall through the swamp. When you hit the first enemy, the water wheel is basically right there. There's a path just to the right that leads you up high enough to step off it and onto a water wheel spoke. Navigate the ladders and you're home.

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Stuck in the middle with you.
:siren: VOICE CHAT IS POSSIBLE ON XBOX 360 :siren:

I don't know if it was because the guy wasn't on my friends list, but I think it had more to do with the fact that we weren't trying to do "party" chat, but instead did "private chat" and it put us in the DARK SOULS chat channel.

If you want to chat with the person you're phantoming with, open your friends list, and go all the way to the right under "players", which will show you a list of the most recent people you've interacted with on XBL. The person who summoned you/you summoned will be at the top of the list.

Click their name to interact with 'em and then "invite to private chat". Me and some random dude who summoned me talked the whole time we played, and after killing the boss in his game we coordinated to switch it up and kill the boss in mine.

So it IS possible for Xbox 360 friends to voice chat with each-other while playing - though there's still no way I know of to guaruntee you end up on the same server as (and are thus summonable by) your friend. But it's something :shobon:

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Lotish posted:

Okay, how do I kill the huge horrible parasite thing in blighttown? The one guarding the pyromancy spell? Nothing I hit it with seems to visible damage it.

Like everything else in the game, stab it in the butthole (seriously find away to circle around it and kill it from behind. alternatively you can shoot like fifty arrows at it and it will eventually die i think, but it's way faster to just circle and kill it)

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Smelly posted:

I'm at anor londo at SL14. It's not hard when you upgrade your gear.

Beating the game on another character already helped.
With the witch's +5 flame, not only is it not hard, it is pretty easy.

But yeah, I've been keeping my level low so I can clean up as a white phantom. It takes about half a million souls dumped into pyromancy to max it, but once that is done you can pump out damage, character level be damned.

Really, CL is a pretty poor measure of character power. I mean, a level 1 guy probably won't be able to dent a level 700, mostly because of the way that stats add to defenses, but the +-10% thing is really entirely too narrow. A maxed out level 1 pyromancer will probably be outdamaging most any level 80 weapon user.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Oct 15, 2011

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

Lotish posted:

You're talking about the giant squid thing? Everything damages it. It's just when you're locked on and standing close to it, its health bar is 'displayed' above your screen. If you unlock and look up, you'll see damage ticking down. Just keep wailing at it with spells or arrows or whatever.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
I think I helped everyone past Capra. I went from a summon every 2 mins (seriously, more than one person and Capra goes down hard) to sitting here for 20.

I'm glad I could help :3: think it's time to go become golden like Ponyboy.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Filthy Monkey posted:

With the witch's +5 flame, not only is it not hard, it is pretty easy.

But yeah, I've been keeping my level low so I can clean up as a white phantom. It takes about half a million souls dumped into pyromancy to max it, but once that is done you can pump out damage, character level be damned.

Really, CL is a pretty poor measure of character power. I mean, a level 1 guy probably won't be able to dent a level 700, mostly because of the way that stats add to defenses, but the +-10% thing is really entirely too narrow. A maxed out level 1 pyromancer will probably be outdamaging most any level 80 weapon user.

Aren't you short on spell slots?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Some helpful anti-frustration hints:

-Go slowly. Like, walking speed slowly. If you pace yourself, you're much more likely to pay attention and not screw up in fights. If you rush, you'll get impatient and aggressive, and end up taking way more damage than you have to.

-Related to the above, take a short break when you die. It's very tempting to try to rush back to your bloodstain but doing so increases the risk of just dying again and losing it. Bloodstains don't go anywhere so long as you don't die. There's no hurry.

-Always have a few homeward bones handy (the undead lady merchant in the aquaduct sells them). Sometimes it's better to warp out of a bad situation than it is to risk dying and losing all your stuff. Knowing what you're going to run into on the way back allows you to be better prepared and get there with more health/flasks left over.

-Being cursed sucks, but New Londo REALLY sucks. I find it highly preferable to just head up to the Belltower via the elevators in Firelink shrine and eat the cost of the item rather than trying to fight my way through a million ghosts. Not to mention that you still need a point of humanity to spend when you get there anyway. Which you're unlikely to have if you've been dying a million times trying to get to the guy. Alternatively there's the aquaduct merchant, but the belltower guy is cheaper and really not any harder to get to (The trip is slightly longer, but the enemies in the way are all easy, so it's still low risk.

-While you're there, grab a few spares if you can afford it. You may not feel like you need them, but you'll be glad to have them when you inevitably do.

-When you AREN'T cursed, it's worth paying a visit to New Londo Ruins just to grab The cursebite ring. It will seriously reduce the chances of you ever getting cursed again. With some clothing with curse resist on it and the ring, you can take basilisk breath in the face and laugh it off without even a single point of humanity.

-Do not underestimate the utility of prism stones. It's very useful to check a drop before you jump down to see where you'll land, and they can also be used to mark a path in places like the crystal caves or tomb of giants where you'll really want something marking the way. They're only 10 souls each, there's no reason not to have like a hundred of them. They will save you a LOT of unnecessary backtracking because you fell to your death somewhere.

-Black phantoms are dicks, but if you can't take them, you can always just play hollowed most of the time. There's really not much of a downside outside of boss fights when you might want to summon players.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

andrew smash posted:

Only takes about 16 points in attunement to get 4 slots. Dumping points into pretty much that is easy enough.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Crowbear posted:

Yeah you could probably use the Master Key to take the Valley of Drakes shortcut into Blighttown so you can kill Quelaag and join the covenant before you kill Capra.

Yeah, to be quite honest, capra and gaping dragon and moonlight butterfly are all completely optional bosses.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

andrew smash posted:

Like everything else in the game, stab it in the butthole (seriously find away to circle around it and kill it from behind. alternatively you can shoot like fifty arrows at it and it will eventually die i think, but it's way faster to just circle and kill it)

It's also weak to fire. It takes like five fireballs to kill it.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

DeathSandwich posted:

So do the baby skeletons in the pit right before the boss in tomb of the giants respawn? If they didn't toxin you, that would be a great soul farming spot otherwise.
They respawn constantly. It's not the best soul farming spot I'd say (maybe it is though), but it's definitely the best humanity farming spot. Just make sure you pick the item up before it disappears (they disappear very fast, respective to the babies respawning).

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
The multiplayer so far is kind of disappointing. I just spent 25 minutes trying to white phantom for the Gaping Dragon fight, and not a single summon. I'm sure more people are playing this than Demon's Souls, which never seemed to be short of people willing to summon you, so why is it such a problem with this game?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

andrew smash posted:

I have 16 attunement. That gives four slots. Most of the time I use combustion, simply because it is fast and efficient. A combustion slot gives 16 casts, and a great combustion 8. Filling two slots with combustion and one with great combustion means 40 combustings. Given that most things get one shotted and pretty much everything two shotted, that is a lot of killing power. Weak poo poo which isn't worth combusting gets poked with a lighting spear. That still leaves one slot open for a great fireball, firestorm, or the like.

So nah, not really short on slots. I am not doing a CL1 run like some guys though. I am in the teens, mostly because that is where a lot of the early white phantoming gets done. Showing up in Smough's armor and two shottung bosses at a CL in the teens just amuses me.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Filthy Monkey posted:

I have 16 attunement. That gives four slots. Most of the time I use combustion, simply because it is fast and efficient. A combustion slot gives 16 casts, and a great combustion 8. Filling two slots with combustion and one with great combustion means 40 combustings. Given that most things get one shotted and pretty much everything two shotted, that is a lot of killing power. Weak poo poo which isn't worth combusting gets poked with a lighting spear. That still leaves one slot open for a great fireball, firestorm, or the like.

So nah, not really short on slots. I am not doing a CL1 run like some guys though. I am in the teens, mostly because that is where a lot of the early white phantoming gets done. Showing up in Smough's armor and two shottung bosses at a CL in the teens just amuses me.

Wait, you can slot the same spell multiple times for more castings? I thought each slot had to be different! Why did I not know this sooner? :psyduck:

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Palleon posted:

The multiplayer so far is kind of disappointing. I just spent 25 minutes trying to white phantom for the Gaping Dragon fight, and not a single summon. I'm sure more people are playing this than Demon's Souls, which never seemed to be short of people willing to summon you, so why is it such a problem with this game?

1. Not as many people roaming around in human form, since there isn't as big of a punishment for being dead, here.

2. Networking is now heavily sharded, so you're only playing on a server with a fraction of the players online at a time.

edit:

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Wait, you can slot the same spell multiple times for more castings? I thought each slot had to be different! Why did I not know this sooner? :psyduck:

You have to have bought multiple copies of the spell. :)

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I had a low level guy help me out on gargoyles, swinging around Orstein's Spear, flipping around with his cat ring, casting great combustion.

Then I found out Phantoms can't help you kill NPCs, so I had to fight Lauterc on my own with a longsword. Took like 4 minutes cause I totally did not know Lauterc fights with a pair of shotels. That caught me off guard. The Phantom just sat there rolling through his emotes and trying to swing at what I presume was an NPC he couldn't even see (the hits never registered sadly).

Later on I decided to test some new weapons by white phantom'ing for someone else's gargoyles. I noticed we had a second twink phantom along for the ride, decked out in Gold Hem and a lightning enchanted halberd. Dude then decides to take on a caped legionaire and I watch him get parried and instant killed on the riposte.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
You know, if Namco was smart, they'd patch the game to allow PvP and co-op regardless of the players' soul level. It can't be that difficult to readjust the invader's stats to bring them on par with the invadee. The way it's implemented now attempts to insure fairness by keeping potential invaders +/- %10 of other player's level, so who cares if it's artificially adjusted? People might actually be able to (gasp!) play with or against each other that way. I'm sick of wasting my time walking in circles in the vain hope that I get summoned or get to invade somebody else.

And for gently caress's sake, get rid of the fog ring. The fact that it makes you nearly invisible is enough of a boon by itself. If a crafty player can sneak up on another undetected and make the first strike, then bravo for him. But afterwards, once his presence is known, you should be able to lock on like anything else.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
I have found an excellent place to stock up on soulbucks. You need to have cleared Anor Londo, and either be able to cast 'homeward' or have a bunch of homeward bones stocked up. First, kill Gwyndolin. Then the lights go out and most of the enemies in the stage vanish, except for two. From the princess's bonfire, go down the O&S elevators and outside their chamber, and you will see two humans with swords and shields. They are dumb and straightforward; kill them with your method of choice for ten thousand soulbucks. That's 5000 apiece. They don't seem to respawn unless you actually re-load the area (just resting at a bonfire doesn't cut it) so use your Homeward thing and repeat. If you blow a homeward bone (value: 800 souls) you are still making a huge profit, and it's quick as hell to run down there and skewer them again.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Only if you've bought/found the same spell multiple times. There are multiple merchants for pyromancy and sorcery, and they will sell duplicate spells. Buy it twice, you can attune it twice.

Palleon posted:

I've had a lot more success getting summoned by laying my sign down right by a bonfire.

Subbz
Nov 4, 2008
Killed a couple of Black Knights, and got none of their items. Are they a rare drop? Terrible luck as they don't respawn. :(

pctD
Aug 25, 2009

Pillbug

Psyker posted:

If you're facing directly out from Quelaag's entrance, it should be dead-center in front of you.

Or, in other terms, go left out of Quelaag's entrance and follow the wall through the swamp. When you hit the first enemy, the water wheel is basically right there. There's a path just to the right that leads you up high enough to step off it and onto a water wheel spoke. Navigate the ladders and you're home.

Thanks, I was in the right place just missed one of the ladders.

And then I fell down an elevator shaft.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I'm thought Demon's Souls was 10+/-10% what's wrong with that? I'm sure they'll either increase the gap with the patch "later this month", increase shard size, or give more penalties for being hallowed.

Or it will just be bug fixes, which if it fixes the slow downs I wont be disappointed. The forest is setup as a PvP zone p.much, though I'd pay :10bux: for a true PvP zone that encouraged actual PvP and maybe allowed tournament organization. Is from against DLC?

e: I'm sorta against playing through with a friend since organizing a group takes away much of the challenge, but I also see how some people would want that so who am I to actually be against it. I'd love to do a PvP fog walled room friend invite system though. I just want to see how I fair against goons.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

pixaal posted:

... or give more penalties for being hallowed.

Because everyone has been complaining non-stop that this game is just too easy.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

pixaal posted:

I'm thought Demon's Souls was 10+/-10% what's wrong with that? I'm sure they'll either increase the gap with the patch "later this month", increase shard size, or give more penalties for being hallowed.

Or it will just be bug fixes, which if it fixes the slow downs I wont be disappointed. The forest is setup as a PvP zone p.much, though I'd pay :10bux: for a true PvP zone that encouraged actual PvP and maybe allowed tournament organization. Is from against DLC?

Demon's Souls was +/- 10 levels, rather than 10%. So, in Demon's Souls a level 25 could play with anyone 15 to 35. In Dark Souls, a level 25 can play with someone 23-27. Give or take a level for rounding.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Almost Smart posted:

And for gently caress's sake, get rid of the fog ring. The fact that it makes you nearly invisible is enough of a boon by itself. If a crafty player can sneak up on another undetected and make the first strike, then bravo for him. But afterwards, once his presence is known, you should be able to lock on like anything else.
The fog ring is crazy overpowered. You need some insane control to keep your face towards them, and it's even harder because they have like 10% opacity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Rascyc posted:

Later on I decided to test some new weapons by white phantom'ing for someone else's gargoyles. I noticed we had a second twink phantom along for the ride, decked out in Gold Hem and a lightning enchanted halberd. Dude then decides to take on a caped legionaire and I watch him get parried and instant killed on the riposte.
I have noticed a lot more low level twinks over the past few days. I think we are getting to the point now where the more diehard players have completed their first playthrough, released their leveling mistakes, and remade instead of going on to NG+.

• Locked thread