Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seemenaked
Nov 19, 2003

...but girls already have a vagina between their legs, so they don't gotta trick anyone...

RBA Starblade posted:

How do you even get a hit? I can't actually hurt him from the front or sides and he turns faster than I move at under 50% encumbrance. I've never seen the eagle shield but my tower and dragon crest shields are worthless. And that's when I can even get to his second form. Half the time I dodge one attack only to get hit by another and since the game refuses to let me use two flasks at once now for some random reason I fall over dead the next time they do it and it's another five minute walk back to the fight. gently caress, it takes longer to get there than it does to fight them! This is a terrible bonfire placement.

e: And heaven loving forbid I not get stuck on a piece of level geometry so when I block one douchebag the other twoshots me because I can't loving turn around and block him with my shield which can't actually block the attacks anyway but gently caress if I'm not going to try because I'm really goddamn tired of this loving five minute walk down the elevator and up the stairs.

Smough ain't too bad man. You gotta block a shot and look for an opening. Do not place too much distance between you and him or he will charge. Try to stay just out of his range. It's best to try and keep an eye on Ornstein, do not let him get behind you or he will wreck your poo poo. I found the fight pretty easy as a pyromancer. There are two big openings when he does the sumo butt smash and when he does the big overhead swing. If you have no magicks then just poke at him a bit with a spear, (if you got one). Spears/fancy lad swords are best for this fight as you can keep your guard up at all times. Oh and eat a green blossom if you have one so your stamina regen isn't complete poo poo.

DrBouvenstein posted:

gently caress those Anor Londo snipers! :negative:

I honestly have no idea how to get by them...I've tried going really light and just running fast enough so I get out of the range of the one behind me...nope.

Tried going heavy and put on all stone armor...nope.

Run to the right guy 1st and watch him closely, you will have to dodge roll about 2x to get close enough to him. If you have a way of 1 shotting him that would be best otherwise you will have to hope he starts meleeing you. The sniper on the left is guarding a soul of the hero if you must have it, you can back track after the right dude dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
The multiplayer is well alive on PSN (pity on the poor souls playing on XBL). Waiting less than 5 minutes each time, I was summoned twice to help for O+S on a new game+ at ~SL 105. Then, I summoned two other players and beat them in my own world. During that time, I saw two invasions.

The playerbase is strongly fueled by Asian players, who probably favor the PS3. Maybe one in three people I play with will have an obviously japanese name.

Don't worry too much about levelling. There's still plenty of fun to be had after soul level 100.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
Man, faith builds really got kicked in the nuts, huh?

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself

Vintersorg posted:

The giant hydra? Run up to the shore and it will begin to smash it's heads into the mud. Dodge those and kill it.

Nah, the Cyrstal Lizard or whatever they're calling them now. I tried sneaking around by dropping to a lower path (it is staring right at you) but that only kills you.

I had this guy more that Cadra

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Huh. I'd been a straight up tank until I noticed that levelling up the pyro stuff isn't actually that expensive, so I took that right up to +15. Then I got round to opening up the tower basement and fighting Havel, and he went down in like 3 Fire Orbs. I was expecting more of a fight!

And the Hydra! Is it really that easy or did I just luck out or something? Once I figured out you have to go in close so it doesn't wipe you out with the water blast things, it was a cake walk. It was pretty much the same deal with the Titanite Demon guarding the garden. Just go in close and you'll never get hurt.

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself

Metrohunter posted:

Man, faith builds really got kicked in the nuts, huh?

How so?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Has anybody here actually used the moonlight greatsword? I am curious as to how it performs. What is the move set like?

Actually, I hear a lot about the zweihander here, but pretty much nothing about the greatsword. The 28 strength one. I notice it has a thrust attack listed, and I like a versatile weapon that can both slash and thrust. Anybody use it?

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 15, 2011

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

invalid posted:

How so?

Nothing above B rank in damage scaling, mainly.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Not really, unless you like how it handles - the Zweihander is an "Ultra Greatsword", which hit hard but are slow as hell. If you like big fuckoff swords but want one a bit quicker, the Claymore is a standard greatsword which is still slower than say, a straight sword like the Drake Sword, but still viable to use one-handed assuming you've got the strength.
Thanks, I'll go hunting for a claymore. Alternatively I may also grab just a regular club since it seems to get a huge strength bonus (A rating) and my strength is over 30 now.

Loofa08
Apr 17, 2008
I did the farming exploit in the garden and now I'm afraid I'm way too high of level. I'm level 56 and I've been sitting outside O+S for 20 minutes without a summon.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Smough ain't too bad man. You gotta block a shot and look for an opening. Do not place too much distance between you and him or he will charge. Try to stay just out of his range. It's best to try and keep an eye on Ornstein, do not let him get behind you or he will wreck your poo poo. I found the fight pretty easy as a pyromancer. There are two big openings when he does the sumo butt smash and when he does the big overhead swing. If you have no magicks then just poke at him a bit with a spear, (if you got one). Spears/fancy lad swords are best for this fight as you can keep your guard up at all times. Oh and eat a green blossom if you have one so your stamina regen isn't complete poo poo.

I finally figured out he becomes vulnerable whenever he misses, but whenever I try to attack, Ornstein instantly charges and kills me. This is ludicrous. I can't even get any support because even when I do use humanity I never, ever see a sign. I'll try switching to spears, though, but I think then the problem comes down to my simply not doing enough damage. As it turns out, he's resistant to lightning, not weak to it, or so it seems when I use some gold pine resin and the weapon did even less damage than before.

e: Yeah my spear does 33 damage. That's not going to work.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Oct 15, 2011

Seemenaked
Nov 19, 2003

...but girls already have a vagina between their legs, so they don't gotta trick anyone...

RBA Starblade posted:

I finally figured out he becomes vulnerable whenever he misses, but whenever I try to attack, Ornstein instantly charges and kills me. This is ludicrous. I can't even get any support because even when I do use humanity I never, ever see a sign. I'll try switching to spears, though, but I think then the problem comes down to my simply not doing enough damage. As it turns out, he's resistant to lightning, not weak to it, or so it seems when I use some gold pine resin and the weapon did even less damage than before.

What soul level are you atm?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Loofa08 posted:

I did the farming exploit in the garden and now I'm afraid I'm way too high of level. I'm level 56 and I've been sitting outside O+S for 20 minutes without a summon.
Just sounds like bad luck. Your level is about right. Where is your sign placed? Try putting it at the bottom of the steps before the palace. This is where most people throw it down.

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself

Metrohunter posted:

I guess. I'm happy with the occult stuff and shooting lightning bolts like Zeus himself.

I'll let the others worry about min/maxing in a game where it means so little

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I love that when someone gets cursed their "statue" shows up in your world. It's hilarious seeing all these people just pop in and thinking "there goes another one!"

That would explain the situation I experienced. I walked down the narrow hallway to pick up the evil eye ring, and on the way back a statue of a dude popped up in front of me blocking the hallway. Scared the poo poo out of me.

Loofa08
Apr 17, 2008

Filthy Monkey posted:

Just sounds like bad luck. Your level is about right. Where is your sign placed? Try putting it at the bottom of the steps before the palace. This is where most people throw it down.

I put it down the moment you can put it down after stepping off of the elevator. Trying again now...

Specto
Jun 28, 2010

Filthy Monkey posted:

Has anybody here actually used the moonlight greatsword? I am curious as to how it performs. What is the move set like?

Actually, I hear a lot about the zweihander here, but pretty much nothing about the greatsword. The 28 strength one. I notice it has a thrust attack listed, and I like a versatile weapon that can both slash and thrust. Anybody use it?

It uses the standard greatsword move set, except the strong attacks. 1-handed, it does a vertical slash that shoots a vertical sword wave(20 durability). 2-handed, it does a horizontal sword wave that explodes on contact(40 durability). It's really cool, but you need a lot of intelligence to use the sword(28 int), and more to get decent damage out of the thing. It upgrades with dragon scales to, so it's a pain in the rear end to get it to +5. It's singular damage type(magic) makes up for its relatively low damage(397 magic damage at 54 int and +4), but you are probably better off using something else for effeciency. If you don't care, then go right ahead.
Also the Greatsword is just a zweihander with a thrusting strong attack instead of a overhead smash. It's mostly just what strong attack you want.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

LukeyBoy posted:

Thanks, I'll go hunting for a claymore. Alternatively I may also grab just a regular club since it seems to get a huge strength bonus (A rating) and my strength is over 30 now.

Yeah, regular clubs and great clubs both are great strength based weapons. The great club is on the higher end of the B scaling and at 46 strength, does better damage than a demon great hammer of the same level while being having basically the exact same move set and the greatclub being 10 less weight to boot.

monoptic
Apr 8, 2004

MAGNICIFENT!

Metrohunter posted:

And that's if you stick with Occult. For the Divine stuff I don't know if it even goes above a C. Like I mentioned earlier, you'd think that maxing a weapon would at least reward you with an A or S stat - there's no way a B or C is catching Lightning/Fire weapon.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

invalid posted:

I guess. I'm happy with the occult stuff and shooting lightning bolts like Zeus himself.

I'll let the others worry about min/maxing in a game where it means so little

It's mainly because at least in Demon's, faith weapons did less than others sure, but they gave you hp regen to make up for it and they attributed themselves to a tanky build easily.
In Dark Souls I tried to do the same and I find I would be better off skipping faith and just having a purely physical tank build and not have to worry about levelling an extra 2 stats.

e: Also in Demon's +5 faith weapons still got to A rank and if you wanted something to hit really hard with you could grab the meat cleaver.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Re: Anor Londo Snipers
It took a few wasted shots to get the trajectory down right, but after dying to them a few times I took to using Poison Arrows from down below them. They never seem to use Flasks, so once the poison hits them just wait them out and it's all clear to stroll on by.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Seemenaked posted:

What soul level are you atm?

38. Though I've seen 3 summon signs ever, so I don't think that's it.

e: Why does Ornstein's spear hit in a 360 degree arc even when thrusting? Who loving designed this area and this boss? gently caress this, I surrender, I give up. I'm leaving and coming back at 70 or 80 or whatever the gently caress. There aren't any words strong enough for this.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Oct 15, 2011

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
All you people at NG+ and high soul levels :( I beat the gargoyles last night with the help of 2 people then I tried the ghost area, couldn't find a camp fire and died to ghosts, then I went to the forest and killed a night and got killed by the Hydra a bunch of times. I also went back to the starting area and died about a thousand times killing those knights. Died to the boss there another 10 or so times, went back to the main bonfire and cried myself to sleep.

Anyone else as horrible as me? I even named my dude Horrible :v:

Also, the first time I was waiting for help at the Gargoyles, I got invaded by a ghost dude who I couldn't target and somehow he teleported about 20 feet to my back and backstabbed me with his flaming sword :( I thought invaders were supposed to be around your level. Made me sad

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

LukeyBoy posted:

There's a claymore at the bridge the red dragon is guarding. It's one of the 2 blue glowy things there.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Anybody upgraded the Lucerne or whatever they called the Mirdan Hammer this time round? How comparable is it to the beast it was before?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Just downed the four kings on my second attempt as a CL21 pyromancer. I was able to take them out before their buddies spawned without problems. I didn't bother using my lightning claymore, and just burned them down with combustion. I iron fleshed before the first one, and took that energy ribbon attack the face without a problem. Managed to avoid being grabbed somehow, though I was grabbed twice in the first fight and it doesn't do enough damage to kill through Fatty's armor.

If you are going to iron flesh, you need to wait for any transient curse to wear off first. I imagine some people will curse up to kill the two ghosts outside.

Specto posted:

It uses the standard greatsword move set, except the strong attacks. 1-handed, it does a vertical slash that shoots a vertical sword wave(20 durability). 2-handed, it does a horizontal sword wave that explodes on contact(40 durability). It's really cool, but you need a lot of intelligence to use the sword(28 int), and more to get decent damage out of the thing. It upgrades with dragon scales to, so it's a pain in the rear end to get it to +5. It's singular damage type(magic) makes up for its relatively low damage(397 magic damage at 54 int and +4), but you are probably better off using something else for effeciency. If you don't care, then go right ahead
Thanks for the info. Just considering sorcery as an option for this guy, and the thought of a high-scaling magic greatsword sounded interesting. Still not sure what I am going to do though.

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules
God drat the Crossbreed Priscilla fight as a heavy armoured melee guy is awful, but so drat satisfying to kill her. Has anyone used her soul yet to make the halberd weapon?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Specto posted:

It uses the standard greatsword move set, except the strong attacks. 1-handed, it does a vertical slash that shoots a vertical sword wave(20 durability). 2-handed, it does a horizontal sword wave that explodes on contact(40 durability). It's really cool, but you need a lot of intelligence to use the sword(28 int), and more to get decent damage out of the thing. It upgrades with dragon scales to, so it's a pain in the rear end to get it to +5. It's singular damage type(magic) makes up for its relatively low damage(397 magic damage at 54 int and +4), but you are probably better off using something else for effeciency. If you don't care, then go right ahead.
Also the Greatsword is just a zweihander with a thrusting strong attack instead of a overhead smash. It's mostly just what strong attack you want.

Do the attacks still ignore shields like they did in demon souls?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

invalid posted:

Nah, the Cyrstal Lizard or whatever they're calling them now. I tried sneaking around by dropping to a lower path (it is staring right at you) but that only kills you.

I had this guy more that Cadra

Just re-log where they spawn, it'll be there when you come back in.

monoptic
Apr 8, 2004

MAGNICIFENT!

Metrohunter posted:

Anybody upgraded the Lucerne or whatever they called the Mirdan Hammer this time round? How comparable is it to the beast it was before?

It's not the stunlocking stamina drainer it used to be, but it's more usable one-handed. It's basically a slower halberd with an overhead attack instead of the thrust. I only have it to +5 normal at the moment, but I'm sure it'd be fine with the usual upgrades to Lightning/Fire.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Yesss, gently caress you Stray Demon, guess who just killed you at SL20 :black101:

Used those 20k souls to buy that crest and check out this farming trick, and ahaha holy moly is the game ever broken as of this moment. I would feel bad about abusing this, but the game doesn't feel bad about abusing ME, so. :v:

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Ovo posted:

God drat the Crossbreed Priscilla fight as a heavy armoured melee guy is awful, but so drat satisfying to kill her. Has anyone used her soul yet to make the halberd weapon?

Yeah, it's not great. It does a lot of bleed damage every couple of hits but it also applies the bleed effect to you. You can use the Bloodshield or anything else with bleed resist to counteract it but the scythe is just so slow and the base damage is so terrible that it's not worth using.

Seemenaked
Nov 19, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

38. Though I've seen 3 summon signs ever, so I don't think that's it.

Trying raising your level to about 45-50 range. That fight will do a number on your shield too if it has low stability. I used a hollow soldier shield that was +11 or 12 and was fine since it had around 75+ stability or so. There are two of them so higher endurance would be beneficial. If you have the Ring of Divine Protection and Favor that works very nice in this fight, (sadly you can never take the drat ring off). If you are using magic the shorter the cast time the longer you will live.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Seemenaked posted:

Trying raising your level to about 45-50 range. That fight will do a number on your shield too if it has low stability. I used a hollow soldier shield that was +11 or 12 and was fine since it had around 75+ stability or so. There are two of them so higher endurance would be beneficial. If you have the Ring of Divine Protection and Favor that works very nice in this fight, (sadly you can never take the drat ring off). If you are using magic the shorter the cast time the longer you will live.

Yeah, I had a Knight Shield +10, 24 endurance, and the ring of favor and protection. I could block two, maybe three hits before one of them hit me, then I was juggled to death. I'm going to do catacombs, forest, asylum, everything else possible first before coming back here, it's clearly impossible right now. What a fun three hours that was. I should have been a wizard.

At least I can now proceed to not get summoned for the iron golem! :allears:

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

smuh posted:

There's a claymore at the bridge the red dragon is guarding. It's one of the 2 blue glowy things there.
gently caress, that sounds fun to get. I'll try it out though, thanks.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

What is the trigger for the merchant under the aquaducts to start selling the pinwheel masks? I've already killed pinwheel, obviously. I thought it might be placing the lordvessel, but I just did that and still, no masks. I want that load-increasing mask. I know he sells them, as I could buy them with my first character.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Filthy Monkey posted:

What is the trigger for the merchant under the aquaducts to start selling the pinwheel masks? I've already killed pinwheel, obviously. I thought it might be placing the lordvessel, but I just did that and still, no masks. I want that load-increasing mask. I know he sells them, as I could buy them with my first character.

He doesn't sell them. Patches, the NPC you find in the Catacombs/Tomb of the Giants sells them if you don't attack him in the Tomb and then kill Nito.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I've never seen him sell them but I've seen them drop off of the Pinwheel mobs in the room before Nito.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
Pro-tip, every time you get summoned for the gaping dragon fight, head upstairs and around the corner with a bow and check to see that the sorcerer dude a floor up is dead. If he's not, put some arrows in his face. You'll be glad you spent the time to check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Rumsfeld
Nov 12, 2006
What weapon is the 'best' for a strength based character around SL100+? For pvp purposes (or pve as well). I've been using the Gravelord's Sword +5 forever now.

Also, do you get more souls in NG+, or does it just take forever to level?

Gay Rumsfeld fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 15, 2011

• Locked thread