Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macksy
Oct 20, 2008

Noxville posted:

I've pretty much been going through Blighttown as fast as possible because I hate it, is there anything worth picking up in there after I've killed the boss?
Up the water wheel there's an area full of toxin-snipers(use the spider shield to block those) that has a fire keeper soul. Other than that there are some neat looking armor sets(one on the opposite end from the boss lair) and a ton of easy to kill slugs which drop large titanite and green titanite shards regularly(don't know if they drop other shards.)
Just be sure to equip your best poison resistant gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Just finished Anor Lando and need some chunks of titanite for a lightning Zweihander. Is there any place I can farm for it or a vendor that sells it?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
In terms of A or B scaling weapons, I believe the Black Knight's Greataxe comes highly recommended since it has a mix of horizontal and vertical attacks that actually combo. Course, I haven't tested it myself because gently caress you Black Knights that's why.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

NESguerilla posted:

Just finished Anor Lando and need some chunks of titanite for a lightning Zweihander. Is there any place I can farm for it or a vendor that sells it?

The merchant in Sen's Fortress sells it, I believe. Best place to farm it is the leeches in Blighttown.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Traxis posted:

The merchant in Sen's Fortress sells it, I believe. Best place to farm it is the leeches in Blighttown.

No. Best place to farm for it is the leeches in the depths. There are 6 slugs directly in front of the bonfire at the depths.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

keyframe posted:

No. Best place to farm for it is the leeches in the depths. There are 6 slugs directly in front of the bonfire at the depths.

I tried that and they very rarely dropped it. I was getting 2-3 per run in Blighttown.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Phenotype posted:

I just got to the blacksmith and bonfire in Undead Parish, and this seems like a good place to farm souls and upgrade my gear while I get better at dealing with these knight guys. So I don't waste more time than I have to, what should I be upgrading? I grabbed the Dragon Crest Shield and Astora's Straight Sword before I came in, but I see a lot of people recommending a Hollow Soldier Shield, which I don't have yet. As for gear, I'm pretty much just wearing Hollow gear, except for Chainmail Leggings that I got from the merchant. Is it worth taking the time to boost that stuff?

Sorry to self-quote, but I think this got passed up. Is it worth my time to upgrade the stuff I've got, or should I wait for better gear? I imagine Astora's sword will max out at +5, so it's probably not a long-game choice.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Traxis posted:

I tried that and they very rarely dropped it. I was getting 2-3 per run in Blighttown.

What drops it in blight town? The merchant in Sens sells large shards unfortunately.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
I know that sometimes you can gain an extra Estus Flask because someone kindled at the same bonfire you are based at. But what can give you humanity spontaneously? Not the item, just direct humanity. Is it a set number of souls collected/monsters killed or something?

Also, is there a way to interact with other players I see at bonfires? And one time I summoned a white phantom who was gold, weird.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

NESguerilla posted:

The rock golem at Sen's Fortress drops some.

e: Where do you guys recommend I go first while I power up to get hosed at S&O again, catacombs, forest, or the asylum?

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008

Traxis posted:

The leeches in blight give you shards, the blobs in the depths give you chunks, which is what the dude needs for his sword.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

Macksy posted:

The leeches in blight give you shards, the blobs in the depths give you chunks, which is what the dude needs for his sword.

Are you quite sure? I thought the blobs also gave shards. The most reliable source of chunks I've found is black knights, so far.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Phenotype posted:

Sorry to self-quote, but I think this got passed up. Is it worth my time to upgrade the stuff I've got, or should I wait for better gear? I imagine Astora's sword will max out at +5, so it's probably not a long-game choice.

You can, but I wouldn't spend too long. You only have access to shards at the moment and I don't think you'll be able to upgrade Astrora much anyway (I think). You'll find some much better stuff not too long from now but, well, upgrading a little doesn't hurt.

RBA Starblade posted:

e: Where do you guys recommend I go first while I power up to get hosed at S&O again, catacombs, forest, or the asylum?

Forest, Catacombs is lovely for XP.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Gay Rumsfeld posted:

What weapon is the 'best' for a strength based character around SL100+? For pvp purposes (or pve as well). I've been using the Gravelord's Sword +5 forever now.

Also, do you get more souls in NG+, or does it just take forever to level?

Going through the guide, just going to post some stuff with high base damage and scaling.

Name                             | Damage   | Str Scaling
Demon's Greataxe +15       | 285      | A
Black Knight Greataxe+5    | 319      | B (E Dex Scaling)
Demon's Great Hammer +15| 345      | B
Large Club +15                | 300      | A (Also has poison damage.)
Black Knight Halberd +5     | 345      | D (E Dex Scaling)
Demon Great Machete +15 | 332      | B
BlackKnight Greatsword+5  | 307      | B (E Dex Scaling)

There are a couple of super high damage dragon weapons as well, but they have no scaling whatsoever, so may not make the best lategame items.

Notably: Dragon Greatsword with 540 damage at +5 and the Dragon King Greataxe, also with 540 at +5.

edit: formatting, tried my best.

Sarcophallus fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 15, 2011

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008

doomfunk posted:

Are you quite sure? I thought the blobs also gave shards. The most reliable source of chunks I've found is black knights, so far.
You might be right, in which case don't bother with the blobs.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
question regarding that one guy you rescue from the locked cell right before the first gargoyle bellin Undead parish.

If I kill him before he kills the mute fire keeper what do I get as a drop?

Gay Rumsfeld
Nov 12, 2006

Sarcophallus posted:

Going through the guide, just going to post some stuff with high base damage and scaling.

Name                             | Damage   | Str Scaling
Demon's Greataxe +15       | 285      | A
Black Knight Greataxe+5    | 319      | B (E Dex Scaling)
Demon's Great Hammer +15| 345      | B
Large Club +15                | 300      | A (Also has poison damage.)
Black Knight Halberd +5     | 345      | D (E Dex Scaling)
Demon Great Machete +15 | 332      | B
BlackKnight Greatsword+5  | 307      | B (E Dex Scaling)

There are a couple of super high damage dragon weapons as well, but they have no scaling whatsoever, so may not make the best lategame items.

Notably: Dragon Greatsword with 540 damage at +5 and the Dragon King Greataxe, also with 540 at +5.

edit: formatting, tried my best.

Awesome, thanks for this.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

keyframe posted:

question regarding that one guy you rescue from the locked cell right before the first gargoyle bellin Undead parish.

If I kill him before he kills the mute fire keeper what do I get as a drop?
Ring Of Favor and Protection. Honestly, that is probably more useful than his armor. Just kill him. I know I intend to on further playthroughs.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I just started playing this game and I did Something Dumb.

Just got out of the Undead Asylum to Firelink and I... antagonized the Crestfallen Knight. He is now busy killing me in the other room in an infinite loop of respawning murder. Is there anyway for me to make him de-aggro? Or do I need to start a new game? I could probably kill him if I got really good at parrying, but I'm not sure I have the patience for that right now.

Other than that though, this game seems boss as hell. I loved wandering around watching the ghosts of other players getting murdered, and I almost couldn't believe it when I realized Asylum Demon was the boss of the goddamn tutorial. Definitely the most intense fight I've had in a game in a long time, and I'm not even into things proper yet.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Firelink Shrine Keeper question: does she ever say anything other than PLEASE DON'T TALK TO ME

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Is there anything I can farm for dragon scales? Every one of the rare occassions where i've actually been able to invade with my dragon eye stone I've come up against some japanese prick with hacked stats or something who takes 6 damage from my +5 lightning spear while not blocking and kills me in one blow. While wearing some kind of robe.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Guliani is HOT posted:

Firelink Shrine Keeper question: does she ever say anything other than PLEASE DON'T TALK TO ME

Nope.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Is there anything I can farm for dragon scales? Every one of the rare occassions where i've actually been able to invade with my dragon eye stone I've come up against some japanese prick with hacked stats or something who takes 6 damage from my +5 lightning spear while not blocking and kills me in one blow. While wearing some kind of robe.

The Wyverns in Valley of Drakes.

The drop rate is incredibly poo poo. Good luck.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Crowbear posted:

The Wyverns in Valley of Drakes.

The drop rate is incredibly poo poo. Good luck.

Great, I only need about a million of the drat things to get the dragon body stone. I kind of wish I'd joined darkwraith cause I have enough item humanity saved up to get the darkwraith armour right off the bat, but I've given enough dragon scales in to the dragon now that I don't want to have wasted them.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Anyone know if a Regular/Thrust weapon does mixed damage, or if it simply means that some of its attacks deal Thrust damage?

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

victrix posted:

Anyone know if a Regular/Thrust weapon does mixed damage, or if it simply means that some of its attacks deal Thrust damage?

It's one or the other depending on the attack I believe.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

It means it has a slash attack and a thrusting attack. Slashing deals slash damage, and thrusting deals thrust damage. Personally I like weapons like that, since they are often more versatile.

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized
Just killed the dragon in the depths and want to return to Firelink for curse removal and miracles. How do I get back?

Also, what miracle should I buy? Already have heal.

ericthebear
Mar 4, 2011
Well finally downed Four Kings at soul level 11. Mostly it was hard learning the fight for the first time. Oh and Havel was a bitch too.

For the actual fight I used:
Havel's Armor (although Stone Armor will do)
Ring of Steel Protection
Lightning Spear +5
Grass Crest Shield
Sif's Ring
Pyromancy: Iron Flesh(so loving OP)

How do you summon specific people? Seems every time I find someone to help in my level range, we can't see each other's signs. I've tried refreshing it, running off and coming back, even reloading, nothing seems to work. Is it just luck to get on the same server?

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Roumba posted:

I know that sometimes you can gain an extra Estus Flask because someone kindled at the same bonfire you are based at. But what can give you humanity spontaneously? Not the item, just direct humanity. Is it a set number of souls collected/monsters killed or something?

Also, is there a way to interact with other players I see at bonfires? And one time I summoned a white phantom who was gold, weird.

It appears that you get humanity from just killing regular enemies in areas where you have not beaten the boss yet. I don't think it's very well understood how it works yet but there's believed to be a hidden percentage meter that fills every time you kill something. It's not limited to just one humanity either, I kept dying from falling in Blighttown but kept recovering my blood stain so I ended up with two held humanity just from killing all of the enemies there repeatedly.

The gold phantom you saw was a member of the Warriors of Sunlight covenant. Also I don't believe there's any way to interact with people at bonfires, you can try gesturing but they may not be able to see you even if you see them.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
I know I've gotten humanity from dying, though. Or, at least, it seemed that way.

I got gored by a dragonslayer arrow and then crushed by a couple giant guards in Anor Londo and then popped back up at the fire next to Solaire with 1 point of humanity.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Man, I am getting matched up with guys carrying way better gear than me at SL42. I'm basically hosed if I run into someone who can resist fire, but everyone out there is carrying a lightning weapon.

I think I need to head over to Blighttown and buy all the weapons I was planning on, or at the very least get Acid Cloud. I think I entered the forest covenant unprepared as now I can't farm souls to speed that process. Also need that Enchant ember, stat.

Also had to leave the Gravelord covenant before I bothered using any Eyes of Death :(

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
I keep forgetting to look it up in my guide and I'm not at home currently, so I'll just ask, what does the ring you get from Gray Wolf Sif actually do?

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Merauder posted:

I keep forgetting to look it up in my guide and I'm not at home currently, so I'll just ask, what does the ring you get from Gray Wolf Sif actually do?

You have to put it on to fight the Four Kings boss in New Londo Ruins.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
So the last boss is resistant to the upgrade path I took? Damnit.

And I thought someone said the merchant in New Londo dropped a firekeeper soul. I butchered the poor guy for nothing :(

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

LukeyBoy posted:

gently caress, that sounds fun to get. I'll try it out though, thanks.

It's easier than you'd think (spoilered in case you want to try it on your own):

If you shoot the dragon with an arrow, he'll come flying down to the middle of the bridge and get all huffy. If you're up there, instead of flying immediately back up to his perch spot, he'll actually try to fight you. The trick is to stay by the stairs and just run down them when he attacks, then run back up to get his attention again. Do that until the dragon decides to fly over to the side of the bridge opposite his perch spot (the side where you arrive after killing the Taurus demon). When he does that, haul rear end towards the gate. When you get there, just head around the side to the little shrine area and the dragon will just fly away, leaving you alone and free to pick up everything on the bridge unmolested. He will come back eventually, but only if you leave the area and come back, at which point he'll make an entrance similar to the one he did the first time he got there.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

This would be perfect, but how do I actually get over there?

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Is there any way to put transient curse in with the rest of the items you can select with the down arrow? I hate going into my inventory when there are ghosts around...

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
Man this game is finding out where the whiners are. In fighting game threads if someone is getting destroyed they'll often post a video of themselves playing so more experienced people can tell them what they should do differently. But for some reason (maybe it's just a different audience?) several people in this thread seem not to want to learn, they'll just bash their heads against the wall with the same approach that already failed a dozen times and go like "ugh this BULLSHIT game is so loving CHEAP MOOOOOM I THREW MY CONTROLLER"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Filthy Hans posted:

Is there any way to put transient curse in with the rest of the items you can select with the down arrow? I hate going into my inventory when there are ghosts around...

Yeah, the same way you do it with the rest of the items!

• Locked thread