Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

E1M1 posted:

Ugh, drat it. Does anyone know what needs to happen for her to appear then?

Some people are thinking you need to start pyro OR have a +10 flame OR have the witch's ring. Personally, I didn't have any of those things and looked for her. She wasn't there. Went into Quelaag's and level up my flame to +10 and she appeared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weinus
Mar 4, 2004

I was made to understand there were grilled cheese sandwiches here.

Drox posted:

Some people are thinking you need to start pyro OR have a +10 flame OR have the witch's ring. Personally, I didn't have any of those things and looked for her. She wasn't there. Went into Quelaag's and level up my flame to +10 and she appeared.

I had +2 glove, started deprived and have no old witch's ring and she's there for me. I MAY have just joined the Daughter's of Chaos covenant since I was trying to get the shortcut to Lost Izalith open, but I'm not sure.

If you leave a covenant and re-join later, do you lose your rank you had with the covenant previously?

weinus fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 15, 2011

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Drox posted:

I had +10 AND the ring, and she was there. I guess that's not super helpful, but it means it might be one of those two. Since you had +10 as well, maybe that's the key?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Can you cast Magic Weapon buffs on an Enchanted weapon? I really doubt it since you'd be double scaling off Int but it's worth asking!

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Eej posted:

Can you cast Magic Weapon buffs on an Enchanted weapon? I really doubt it since you'd be double scaling off Int but it's worth asking!

The only baseline weapons you can do the weapon buffs and poo poo on are standard upgrades, raw upgrades, and crystal upgrades.

Edit: I'm not sure if any of the special weapons ignore this rule ala blueblood sword from demons souls

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

I swear I wrote something funny here.
Dropped an Eye of Death in Anor Lando, got black smoke coming out of me and all the soul signs disappeared but after 10 minutes nothing. I put my sigil right out in the open so it's not like it should be hard to find.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Is there a way to back out of the Depths? I got cursed and there's no way way I can take out the Gaping Dragon like this.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

weinus posted:

Farming the infinitely spawning baby skeletons at the bottom of Tomb of Giants is better than the rats, in my opinion. Got about 100 humanity consumables in a couple hours last night (I was bored) and a few hundred thousand souls as well. I hate running between bonfire and enemies but that's just me. Constantly slaying those drat ankle biter skeletons is much more satisfying.
As far as I know I can't get there yet. I haven't given the lord vessel to Frampt for certain...reasons.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Samurai Sanders posted:

As far as I know I can't get there yet. I haven't given the lord vessel to Frampt for certain...reasons.

Darkwraiths for life.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I had at least 5 white phantoms fail to summon when I used their sign, which was astounding. I thought I hit the jackpot with all those white signs around. I reset my router, cause... hey, who knows. Maybe it's that. When I got back in, only mildred and no other signs except for a couple red ones, and I KNEW I was online.

They've gotta do something about these lobbies. That's insane.

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

lol.. got invaded by a dark wraith while waiting for someone to take my eye of death bait and raped.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
What's the amount of humanity that I have to give to the darkwraith for all the items? And I get to keep it all when I leave for other covenants right?

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Grondoth posted:

I had at least 5 white phantoms fail to summon when I used their sign, which was astounding. I thought I hit the jackpot with all those white signs around. I reset my router, cause... hey, who knows. Maybe it's that. When I got back in, only mildred and no other signs except for a couple red ones, and I KNEW I was online.

They've gotta do something about these lobbies. That's insane.
I think we just need to get the word out to recycle putting down signs. Put one down, wait a minute, the put it down again. It's got me in other people's games pretty quick.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Primetime posted:

Is there some kind of trick to being invaded/invading others? I've been playing in human form for almost the entire game so far and I just rang the second bell and I've yet to be invaded. I finally decided to take things into my own hands and tried using my cracked red eye orbs. I had 4 and used each one in a different location and very time I got the "looking for a world to invade" message and a couple seconds later got "failed to invade." Now I have no orbs to invade with since all the ones I owned failed, and I'm not about to waste 5k souls to waste more of them. Am I missing something here?
I don't see much invasion talk here. I've only started trying it today though, and here are my experiences.

I've been able to invade constantly on the PS3 as at CL21. Much more action than sitting around 20 minutes waiting to white phantom sometimes. I was doing it in the depths, mostly. I've found that if you ever get a 'failed to invade' you should quit out to the title screen and reload. Should switch up your multiplayer ... server ...thing ... and make the next one more likely to succeed.

I used 20 cracked-orbs and invaded to steal the humanity for the darkwraith's red-eye orb, which is a much better approach. No needing to buy more orbs. The wiki totally lies when it says the host isn't notified of invasion with the non-cracked red eye orb though. They obviously are. I've had people disconnect as soon as I invade, or back off to a place where they can summon.

I honestly feel kind of bad about invading though. I get the occasional person who is obviously twinked out and ready for it, so I don't feel bad for them, but most people are just your average joes going though the game, and unless they get lucky or are outrageously skilled the odds aren't good for them. I had one halberd wielding dude give me an excellent fight, but that was it. I was unsure if messaging him and congratulating him would make me look like a jerk. I won, but just barely. Probably should have just let him win for being such a good sport.

Invaders spawn at predictable spots (in the sewers, it is normally by a set of rats downstairs from the bonfire), so you'll sometimes find decked out people ready to ambush you as you slowly spawn in.

I've been indited twice from my invading in the last hour. Looking in the book of the guilty, I do indeed see that my guilt is two. It looks like guilt only comes from being indited, and not from invading. I am curious as to how this works. I am idling around in Anor Londo right now to see if I can get invaded by a Darkmoon revenge person, and what effect that has on guilt.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Oct 16, 2011

CaptainStag
Sep 29, 2004

Good acting is a practiced craft, one that suggests subtlety and nuance.

Primetime posted:

Is there some kind of trick to being invaded/invading others? I've been playing in human form for almost the entire game so far and I just rang the second bell and I've yet to be invaded. I finally decided to take things into my own hands and tried using my cracked red eye orbs. I had 4 and used each one in a different location and very time I got the "looking for a world to invade" message and a couple seconds later got "failed to invade." Now I have no orbs to invade with since all the ones I owned failed, and I'm not about to waste 5k souls to waste more of them. Am I missing something here?

I'm on 360 if that makes a difference.

This is the same complaint I had a few pages ago. Once you attempt to use an orb it's gone whether the connection is successful or not, which is straight up bullshit for a limited use item that costs a fair bit. I understand why they didn't want to make invading too convenient but with the way it is now it's a complete guessing game for the players whether they'll be wasting stones or not. I can imagine it will only get worse if the player base gets smaller down the line. And yeah, there's the covenant that lets you invade on a regular basis but that doesn't really address the issue above.

Other than hoping you're matching the typical soul level for that area and playing during busier times, I don't think there's anything else you can do.

CaptainStag fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 16, 2011

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

doctor 7 posted:

I think we just need to get the word out to recycle putting down signs. Put one down, wait a minute, the put it down again. It's got me in other people's games pretty quick.
I'll try this, but I don't know if my location is to blame. I'm chilling right outside the entrance to Quelaag's lair, so right after the weird spikes and fat dudes with rocks. Does that seem good?

I'd be near the campfire, but everyone who summoned me there took five minutes to blunder their way over to Quelaag, and one guy made me solo the rock dudes.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
What armor is this? http://i.imgur.com/D2UYi.jpg

Nuther question - at what levels of attunement do I get more magic slots?

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Macksy posted:

What armor is this? http://i.imgur.com/D2UYi.jpg

Dragonslayer Ornstein's I think. You get it by killing him last in the boss fight and then buying it from the vendor under the aqueduct.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

E1M1 posted:

Ugh, drat it. Does anyone know what needs to happen for her to appear then?

I didn't see her before I fought Quelaag. After, she didn't appear for me, either. I started out as Pyro class. I upgraded my hand to 10, and at last she appeared. (Wasn't in Chaos covenant yet either.) Seems like she has multiple triggers. Some folks have gotten her to appear after joining Chaos, sounds like.

Good luck.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
I just don't get chaos weapons. I chaos'd up a darkwraith sword since it seemed poetic. At +5 it does 192/0/192/0. With max humanity it becomes 232/0/232/0. A +10 fire sword does 229/0/229/0. I need 10 humanity to get 6 more damage points?

It's surprising how bad the weapon scaling is, because I thought they were great in Demon Soul's.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

CaptainStag posted:

This is the same complaint I had a few pages ago. Once you attempt to use an orb it's gone whether the connection is successful or not, which is straight up bullshit for a limited use item that costs a fair bit. I understand why they didn't want to make invading too convenient but with the way it is now it's a complete guessing game for the players whether they'll be wasting stones or not. I can imagine it will only get worse if the player base gets smaller down the line. And yeah, there's the covenant that lets you invade on a regular basis but that doesn't really address the issue above.

Other than hoping you're matching the typical soul level for that area and playing during busier times, I don't think there's anything else you can do.

Certain covenants will give you items that make it easier to invade. Forest Hunter will allow you to be summoned to invade a live player in the forest anywhere, hollow or not, as long as you wear the ring. Similar for Darkmoon, which also gives you a blue orb so you can select sinners to slay. Gravelord, Darkwraith, Dragon are invasion/challenge covenants AFAIK.

Sinning (break a covenant, successfully invade and slay another player, attack an NPC) will up your odds of being invaded by certain covenants. Belonging to some covenants may or may not reduce your odds of being invaded like that.

I've only been invaded a couple of times by non-NPCs, probably because I'm not at the SL 70 sweet spot for PVP.

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Haha, Crystal Ring Shield that does 1200 per hit and a Lightning Zweihander +5. I have broken the curve of this game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

How do you get Ceaseless Discharge to fall into the pit? He won't even approach it on my game.

e: Nevermind, I see. Do I only have one shot at that? He killed me before I could finish him off the first time I fought him.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

RBA Starblade posted:

How do you get Ceaseless Discharge to fall into the pit? He won't even approach it on my game.

e: Nevermind, I see. Do I only have one shot at that? He killed me before I could finish him off the first time I fought him.

Can you explain it for the rest of us? :(

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Info Dump on Sin:

Gaining Sin

+ Attack an NPC.
+ Break a Covenant.
- Attack Covenant giver, attack Covenant ally NPCs, quit Covenant invasion without slaying/being slain, join another Covenant (there is a caveat).
+ Ditch an ally you've been summoned by (use Separation Crystal). - I haven't confirmed this.
+ Invade AND kill another player (not as part of Darkmoon, and perhaps not as part of Forest Hunter; per Filthy Monkey, not as part of Darkwraith).
+ Be indicted by a player for invading and killing them.

Avoid Sin

+ Oswald of Carim in the Gargoyle Tower after ringing the bell will allow you to quit a covenant WITHOUT gaining sin.

Absolution

+ Oswald will absolve you of sin for 2,000 souls X your SL. (This formula seems to change eventually... After either a NG+ or a few hundred SL. I haven't confirmed this.)
+ Be slain by a Darkmoon invader (reduces sin by 1 each time!).
+ Per Filthy Monkey, indictment sin seems to only be absolved by being slain by a Darkmoon invader slaying you.

I think that's it.

EDIT: one more detail
EDIT 2: more deets

POOL IS CLOSED fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 16, 2011

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Drox posted:

Can you explain it for the rest of us? :(

You grab the item that wakes him up then tear rear end running back to the fog where you came in, stand near the fog and he basically kills himself. You only get one shot, the very first time he wakes up.

He's really easy anyways, just abuse the little shortcut path, moving in his line of sight to start his attack animation and running back to avoid the damage, then running in to hit the arm while it is on the ground. Repeat. I killed him this way without getting hit.

The Swamp Thing
Sep 11, 2001

It's the Evolution Revolution.
I accidentally attacked the shopkeeper in the sewers and now when he sees me he attacks. I take it that there isn't a way to un-aggro him, so I can shop again right? Otherwise I guess I'll just have to put him down. Thanks for the advice.

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself

doctor 7 posted:

Seriously? I haven't even had it a year and I only have 4 games for it. Jesus, sharp quality control.

I guess you never know what you get. I had one one of the original launch 60 gigs, and just about 6 months ago finally replaced the HD.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

mikeraskol posted:

You grab the item that wakes him up then tear rear end running back to the fog where you came in, stand near the fog and he basically kills himself. You only get one shot, the very first time he wakes up.

IGN says you can die and do it but I'm pretty sure that's not possible.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
To de-aggro an NPC, go see Oswald (location in my previous post) and pay for your indulgence. As long as you don't KILL the NPC, you should be golden.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

mikeraskol posted:

He's really easy anyways, just abuse the little shortcut path, moving in his line of sight to start his attack animation and running back to avoid the damage, then running in to hit the arm while it is on the ground. Repeat. I killed him this way without getting hit.

Every time I try him he either fireblasts me through walls or hits me and then hits me again while I'm down.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

IGN says you can die and do it but I'm pretty sure that's not possible.

Yeah I don't think so either, because I tried it after I had died and he doesn't fall off when you stand near the fog, he just keeps blasting you with his long range fire attack.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

RedTonic posted:

Info Dump on Sin:
I think that's it.
That isn't all accurate. I don't appear to get sin from invading as a Darkwraith, but I do if the person indites me. The two sin I have came from the inditments. Oswald won't absolve them either, so I am curious if inditements can only be counteracted by a darkmoon invasion.

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself

oneliquidninja posted:

lol.. got invaded by a dark wraith while waiting for someone to take my eye of death bait and raped.

Was it tastefully done?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Defeating Ceaseless Discharge isn't too hard even if you can't get the instant death glitch to work. EpicNameBro put up a video showing the gimmick method of killing him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7JP3-1siME

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Filthy Monkey posted:

That isn't all accurate. I don't appear to get sin from invading as a Darkwraith, but I do if the person indites me. The two sin I have came from the inditments. Oswald won't absolve them either, so I am curious if inditements can only be counteracted by a darkmoon invasion.

Ah, so you haven't gotten sin by Darkwraith invasions. I'll add that, and your note about the indictment sin.

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

Has anyone had much luck with PvP as a Blade of the Darkmoon? Eventually I'm just going to go Wraith but Gravelord certainly isn't cutting it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Quoting myself since it seems to have gotten lost in the discussion:

Detective No. 27 posted:

Is there a way to back out of the Depths? I got cursed and there's no way way I can take out the Gaping Dragon like this.

drink slurm
Feb 18, 2010

Anime and Weed, what else do you need?
I'm currently at SL 18 (began as hunter) and I'm really wondering where to put my stat points. Should I boost my vit / end (16 and 14) or boost my attunement and faith so that I can pick up a healing spell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

oneliquidninja posted:

Has anyone had much luck with PvP as a Blade of the Darkmoon? Eventually I'm just going to go Wraith but Gravelord certainly isn't cutting it.

I was summoned to invade several times while I was in the Duke's Archives. I eventually had to de-equip the ring because it kept interrupting tense fights. You may need to quit the game and reinitialize to swap lobbies, or use the white summon sign trick to cycle through until you enter a more active lobby.

(I hate these lobbies.)

I've been invaded a couple times as well.

• Locked thread