Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Playing Orcs Must Die really got me nostalgic over Tecmo's Deception. Is that game a PS1 classic in Japan? I wish they would revive the franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Eldarion'd again!
I never saw an inFamous 2 user-designed mission that wasn't complete poo poo.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Harlock posted:

Playing Orcs Must Die really got me nostalgic over Tecmo's Deception. Is that game a PS1 classic in Japan? I wish they would revive the franchise.

All three Deception games are available on the PSN in Japan and Hong Kong. They're all in Japanese though, but if you're familiar with Deception it's not that big of a deal.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
I know there are a lot of Demon's Souls experts in this thread. Is there anything I must know before jumping in?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ChetReckless posted:

I know there are a lot of Demon's Souls experts in this thread. Is there anything I must know before jumping in?
It's better than you go in not knowing anything at all. Seriously. I wish I could erase my memory of Demon's Souls and play it all over again from a blank slate, it would be so awesome.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Is anyone else getting Ratchet & Clank All 4 One? I can understand it's kind of being pushed into a sea of releases but I'm wondering if it's even worth getting if people aren't even going to buy it.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

...! posted:

I never saw an inFamous 2 user-designed mission that wasn't complete poo poo.

Getting those UGC trophies was like wading through sewage.

Speaking of inFamous 2, anyone got any impressions on the upcoming stand-alone?

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

axleblaze posted:

I think plats are kind of special though. <SNIP> It's more of a indicator of your efforts than your actual trophy level.

That's the way I've come to think of trophies. If I like a game, then I'm more likely to spend more time with it, and a plat is an indicator of that. I've got 5 games right now that I'd like to get the platinums for just because I enjoy playing them, but there's other games I won't bother getting any trophies for aside from the given ones since I don't care that much.

Basically. trophies are a way to get some more life out of a game you enjoy. Like Batman: AA, I don't want to play through the whole thing again, but it's fun to boot up and try to snag a trophy or two still(I just got a PS3 recently).

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

ChetReckless posted:

Don't spend any boss souls.

Also, when you see this guy:

You should either let him stay in the cage he is in, or kill him. He will mess up your poo poo permanently otherwise.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Morpheus posted:

Don't spend any boss souls.

Also, when you see this guy:

You should either let him stay in the cage he is in, or kill him. He will mess up your poo poo permanently otherwise.

I believe if you let him out and kill him, you can take his sweet looking armor, so that's slightly more recommended. But yeah, having him around will give you grief later on.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
Yeah, gonna agree with Sanders. With both Demon's and Dark Souls, the games are better off without spoilers if you like any amount of exploration and discovery. I guess if nothing else, I'd suggest picking up a magic using class if you feel overwhelmed as the other classes.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

ChetReckless posted:

One thing I wished I had known was that you're meant to takes the levels in level order, not continuing the same level unless you're really up to it (So do 1-1, 2-1, 3-1, etc, not 1-1, 1-2, etc.) Other than that, there really is nothing to say, it's a game in which you're meant to discover as you go (and die). The true Demon's Souls starts here. :unsmigghh:

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Looked at the nice shiny UK Dark Souls hardback guide in the shops today. The back page told me it contained all the sidequest information for Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Good job, guys.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Did any of the DLC for Uncharted 2 include new co-op maps?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Pipski posted:

No Adventure co-op that I know of, but they added Siege mode.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Artix74 posted:

One thing I wished I had known was that you're meant to takes the levels in level order, not continuing the same level unless you're really up to it (So do 1-1, 2-1, 3-1, etc, not 1-1, 1-2, etc.)

I don't think so. You can't get to 1-3 before finishing another world.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
1-2 is also incredibly easy compared to some of the first areas in other worlds.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Eldarion'd again!

Artix74 posted:

One thing I wished I had known was that you're meant to takes the levels in level order, not continuing the same level unless you're really up to it (So do 1-1, 2-1, 3-1, etc, not 1-1, 1-2, etc.) Other than that, there really is nothing to say, it's a game in which you're meant to discover as you go (and die). The true Demon's Souls starts here. :unsmigghh:

You're not "meant" to go in any particular order. It's non-linear. Try one level and if it's too hard for you at the moment, you try another. I kinda wish Dark Souls was the same way. I hate having to backtrack all over the world when I want to go to one particular zone; it needs a Nexus like Demon's Souls. There are shortcuts but keeping track of which one goes where overburdens my tiny mind. :(

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

You get fast travel halfway through the game.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
So Deus Ex is amazing so far. Definitely feels like a proper sequel to DX1. Only just now recovered Typhoon, so super early in the game

Also, my god it's gorgeous. :aaa:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

DX:HR is better than DX1 even, which I thought would be impossible.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Policenaut posted:

It only allows you to travel to specific bonfires, you still have to do a lot of walking.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

I said come in! posted:

DX:HR is better than DX1 even, which I thought would be impossible.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Let's not say things we can't take back. DX1 is tied with Fallout 1 and 2 as one of my favorite PC games ever.

If what you're saying is true, I might have to expand that to four titles. It's really that good? I mean I've heard nothing but glowing reviews, but... wow.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Code Jockey posted:

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Let's not say things we can't take back. DX1 is tied with Fallout 1 and 2 as one of my favorite PC games ever.

If what you're saying is true, I might have to expand that to four titles. It's really that good? I mean I've heard nothing but glowing reviews, but... wow.

It seriously is. It takes everything that was great about DX1 and makes it even better. If you haven't played DX:HR yet, you're missing out on the best game of the year and really one of the best games ever.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I said come in! posted:

It seriously is. It takes everything that was great about DX1 and makes it even better. If you haven't played DX:HR yet, you're missing out on the best game of the year and really one of the best games ever.

Won't Modern Warfare 3 be game of the year? :rolleyes:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cartoon Man posted:

Won't Modern Warfare 3 be game of the year? :rolleyes:

Still waiting for a CoD to be better than CoD 2.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Eldarion'd again!

Code Jockey posted:

So Deus Ex is amazing so far. Definitely feels like a proper sequel to DX1. Only just now recovered Typhoon, so super early in the game

Also, my god it's gorgeous. :aaa:

You now have to plat this game as well.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

Pipski posted:

Yes. 2 maps, Highrise and Museum, in the Siege DLC.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

They weren't co-op missions, though.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Yeah, sorry, I should have specified adventure co-op. Still, Siege sounds interesting too.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:

Pipski posted:

Yeah, sorry, I should have specified adventure co-op. Still, Siege sounds interesting too.

That is where the MP is at for UC2. Taking out giant hulking mini-gunners while holding up some cruddy "sector" for a limited time.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

...! posted:

You now have to plat this game as well.

Unless there's some pain in the rear end aspect to it, I really don't think I'll mind doing this. :shobon: I've been racking up trophies just helpin' people out right now.

I blew the chance at my non-lethal playthrough at the VERY beginning gunned down the guys in the prologue portion but still going for the knock 50 guys out trophy. Next play through I'll do the whole game on hardest difficulty, non lethal. If only there was a :black101: where he was holding a stun baton. :v:

Also Detroit is awesome. Holy cow. It's kind of edging out DX1 Hong Kong as my favorite FPS environment ever.

Dr Geek
Jan 28, 2007
How long does it take to beat Nier? I'm 13 hours in and just finished the part where while fighting a statue in the lost shrine, Kaine gets impaled and turns into a shade and you fight her. I'm definitely enjoying the game, but I can feel Dark Souls calling to me. I wanted to finish Nier first but if it's gonna be another 13 hours or something I'm just gonna jump in to Dark Souls.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

I said come in! posted:

It is... with one, slight, flaw. By the end of the game, a decent player will have acquired enough points to max out everything worth maxing out. Even mid-game, most of the side paths end up being paths anyone can take, there are seldom paths that require abilities you don't have yet.

So yes, it is good, but they kind of fubbed the "customize your character and go through the game in a particular way" bit. Being able to take ANY of the paths makes the paths seem less interesting, and you tend to end up back tracking through some of the optional paths just because they're there and you can.

Oh, and the bosses. Seriously, what the gently caress.

But that aside, yes, it is amazing, and in every way lives up to DX1. Depending on how much the above annoys you, you'll end up thinking DX:HR is even better, or, just that DX:HR is a worthy successor with some flaws.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Policenaut posted:

Spoiler this for me, because I feel I'm fairly past this point and I have yet to do it, so I just want to make a beeline for where I can get this ability. Because goddamn and gently caress walking back from the Ash Lake.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Morpheus posted:

Spoiler this for me, because I feel I'm fairly past this point and I have yet to do it, so I just want to make a beeline for where I can get this ability. Because goddamn and gently caress walking back from the Ash Lake.
You get it after completing the Anor Londo dungeon. It was a lot further than half way through the game for me and it still only allows you to fast travel between a small number of fires.

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

Morpheus posted:

If you have the Master Key then I think the shortest possible way to get it is Undead Burg -> Undead Parish -> shortcut to Blighttown from Firelink Shrine (New Londo Ruins/Valley of Drakes) -> poison swamp/Queelag -> Sen's Fortress -> Anor Londo. After you beat the boss of Anor Londo you go up an elevator and talk to someone who gives you the ability to warp between a few bonfires (what Surlaw said). If you don't have the Master Key there's like 3 additional areas you'd have to complete (Undead Burg part 2 -> The Depths -> Blighttown (the long way)). In my opinion it's better to do some of the optional areas/bosses instead of beelining since there's some good stuff to be had and you'll want to level up and upgrade your equipment so you're not getting murdered constantly.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

Dr Geek posted:

How long does it take to beat Nier? I'm 13 hours in and just finished the part where while fighting a statue in the lost shrine, Kaine gets impaled and turns into a shade and you fight her. I'm definitely enjoying the game, but I can feel Dark Souls calling to me. I wanted to finish Nier first but if it's gonna be another 13 hours or something I'm just gonna jump in to Dark Souls.

I have a feeling you're pretty much halfway through, though the latter half of the game can be easily done in about five hours if you're not bothering with the 'spergy sidequests. Definitely not a long game though

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Just finished Lost Planet 2 and that is a pretty badass game. I'll have to play through that again on co-op sometime. Really hope there ends up being another game in this series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Armor-Piercing posted:

Just finished Lost Planet 2 and that is a pretty badass game. I'll have to play through that again on co-op sometime. Really hope there ends up being another game in this series.

I bought this when it was on sale and unfortunately haven't played that much. I don't think I have played online at all :(

• Locked thread