Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Need some help, just got sucked into the painting, beat the NPC invader and now I'm at a bridge with a huge rear end dragon, I killed it but there's a second one and I've ran up and stabbed it, shot it, and it just won't move or show a hp bar, is that supposed to happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
try a jumping attack

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
Well, these crystal caves sure have sapped my enthusiasm for playing the game again anytime soon. Design this piss-poor transcends video games and becomes art.

After some thought, I've come to the conclusion that too much of this game can be described as hateful. And that's not some "hardcore badge of honor :thumbsup:" bullshit either. It honestly detracts from the overall experience. Yeah, I've gotten past every other snag up this point and I'm sure I'll eventually best this one too, but surpassing them doesn't leave me with a feeling of satisfaction or accomplishment.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Bobnumerotres posted:

^^^ The wolf ring boosts your poise to a pretty high level on its own, up to a rating of 40, which some medium-heavy armor sets don't even reach.

It might be upgradable but that is a lot of grinding for materials, and upgrading them doesn't increase their elemental resistance, which gold-hemmed armor is unmatched in except by maybe Havel's.

I wish there was a big chart of all the armors and their defenses at multiple levels.
This is a very demons souls way of looking at armor.

Armor is upgradable and quite a bit of the basic standard titanite upgradable poo poo gets *really* good with +7 or +8, and a +10 elite knight armor will be pretty competitive with havels in everything except poise at like half the weight.

Poise is a pretty big loving deal even with the poise ring because when it gets excessively high, attacks that would normally flinch you do nothing, attacks that would knock you back would just flinch you, and attacks that would straight up knock you down will just push you back. It's drat near required on some bosses later on (hi four kings) and nice to have around when you want to plow through a bunch of shitling minions and not have to worry about them knocking you out of your attack and gangbanging you (hi 10 depraved right before the parish gargoyles).

Being able to do the super fast roll on demand is no longer really the main priority in the game because there are significantly fewer invincibility animations for the roll, and even at there there are quite a few things that will still hit you through it. Pretty much every character I have is right in the medium armor territory that gives you enough poise for basic weak minion attacks and enough armor to survive the bigger things pounding on you.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Rascyc posted:

Surely you mean Wrath of God as Force does no damage. Wrath of God only has 3 casts per slot so you just had to avoid them. Admittedly if you were slowed and got Wrath of God'ed down ... well ... welcome to Dark Souls PvP I guess.

You can just give the lantern to the crows to get a fog ring. It's not like you really need the lantern as there are still two alternative light sources in the game.

Whatever it was the guy was way outta my league since I stabbed him with my spear for a whopping 100 damage whilst getting a lightning bolt for a third of my life. WELP.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Need some help, just got sucked into the painting, beat the NPC invader and now I'm at a bridge with a huge rear end dragon, I killed it but there's a second one and I've ran up and stabbed it, shot it, and it just won't move or show a hp bar, is that supposed to happen?

Alternatively, you could go through the way you're supposed to, as going past the dragon legs leads you right to the end boss of the Painted World.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Bobnumerotres posted:

So..which armor do I upgrade the poo poo out of for Gwyn?

I was wearing Black Iron armor, but that takes twinkling titanite to upgrade. Actually, pretty much all the good heavy armor sets do.

Almost Smart posted:

Well, these crystal caves sure have sapped my enthusiasm for playing the game again anytime soon. Design this piss-poor transcends video games and becomes art.

After some thought, I've come to the conclusion that too much of this game can be described as hateful. And that's not some "hardcore badge of honor :thumbsup:" bullshit either. It honestly detracts from the overall experience. Yeah, I've gotten past every other snag up this point and I'm sure I'll eventually best this one too, but surpassing them doesn't leave me with a feeling of satisfaction or accomplishment.

The Crystal Caverns and Lost Izalith were really really bad, and I can't blame anyone for hating them. Tomb of Giants is close, but surmountable with just a bit of preparation before diving in. Other than that, I don't think any areas were that terrible. It's just unfortunate that all the ones that are are bunched up at the end of the game to leave you with a sour impression at the finish.

Sacrificial Toast fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Oct 16, 2011

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Sacrificial Toast posted:

I was wearing Black Iron armor, but that takes twinkling titanite to upgrade. Actually, pretty much all the good heavy armor sets do.

The steel set you can buy at sens doesn't and it's weighted and defensed somewhere between elite knight and black iron.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The.GreyWolf posted:

Alternatively, you could go through the way you're supposed to, as going past the dragon legs leads you right to the end boss of the Painted World.

Fair enough, I heard that there wasn't much in terms of good items here so figured the NPC and this Red Soapstone are good enough :v: oh well, back to adventuring.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Crowbear posted:

Gonna have to cough up the cash for absolution I'm afraid.

The dude is at the bottom of the stairs that take you up to the bell. He looks like a statue with it's arms out.
What is absolution and where does one buy it :/

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

If you still need help and can't find where to go:

You're probably missing the lever in the skeleton area below. It's by a shaft of light in the large area next to a pillar.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Elysiume posted:

That's unfortunate; I'm not sure what to tell you. I just saved that quote for future reference, but neglected to find who said it, so I can't direct you for someone to ask. Actually...I knew having search would come in handy. enojy said it; you could try pm'ing them for help.

I like it when I get summoned and we fail for whatever reason and then I get summoned again and we win. It's so satisfying! Twice so far today.

I actually managed to kill all 9 the first time, but then I died, and the second time there were only 8. :smith: I haven't seen the result. Now I'm just plugging away at that horrible chaos bed

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog
So, go to Arno Londo got pasts the tower switch to make a quick shortcut , but now I am stuck in a, like so many have said before me, bullshit situation.

after the very first "flesh gargoyles with a demonic spear", I get down to a part where 2 heavy Gwyn knights shoot at me with arrows, while I am on a thin as gently caress ledge and their arrows knock me back to my doom. If I go for the one on the right, I get shot behind, knocked down bam fall to death. If rush the one on the left, with some luck, I get to kill him, but I NEED to go right afterward and face the other knight, which even if I block his arrows (that I cannot evade) I get knocked down the ledge and plunge to my doom

How the gently caress am I suposed to get past this? 1 is bad enough BUT THEY JUST HAD TO ADD A SECOND DUDE, this isn't even fun difficult anymore, I consider Ninja Gaiden on master ninja less cheap than this

Goddamn Hippy
Jan 18, 2006
Just chiming in to say that this is my new favorite game. I'm a lvl 31 thief wielding a drake sword with a +2 Knight shield and i just got my first ember (still have to check how they work in the wiki) from the garden.

I originally got ps3 just for demon souls based the combat system alone, but darksouls has further justified having a ps3.

GOTY (even though it's too hard for most gamers)

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

RedTonic posted:

I actually managed to kill all 9 the first time, but then I died, and the second time there were only 8. :smith: I haven't seen the result. Now I'm just plugging away at that horrible chaos bed

The 9th one is the one that drops the Sunlight Maggot hat and never respawns. You're fine.

BobbyBaudoin posted:

So, go to Arno Londo got pasts the tower switch to make a quick shortcut , but now I am stuck in a, like so many have said before me, bullshit situation.

after the very first "flesh gargoyles with a demonic spear", I get down to a part where 2 heavy Gwyn knights shoot at me with arrows, while I am on a thin as gently caress ledge and their arrows knock me back to my doom. If I go for the one on the right, I get shot behind, knocked down bam fall to death. If rush the one on the left, with some luck, I get to kill him, but I NEED to go right afterward and face the other knight, which even if I block his arrows (that I cannot evade) I get knocked down the ledge and plunge to my doom

How the gently caress am I suposed to get past this? 1 is bad enough BUT THEY JUST HAD TO ADD A SECOND DUDE, this isn't even fun difficult anymore, I consider Ninja Gaiden on master ninja less cheap than this

You need to rush the archer on the right, while keeping your shield up and NEVER turning your back to the ledge. You'll be knocked back in the opposite direction of your facing, so as long as your back is towards the wall, you won't get knocked off. Once you get close enough, he'll pull out his sword and attack you in melee. Just keep your shield up, and eventually his attacks will bounce him right off of the edge and into the pit.

Sacrificial Toast fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Oct 16, 2011

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011
Whats the deal w/ fast travel anyway? Ive curled up into a ball in the nest but havent been picked up. Having to travel everywhere on foot is kinda cool tho, its a little adventure each time you wanna go to a different area or vendor..

Ellipson
Sep 14, 2007

everything's cool
So after killing the Anor Londo boss with a speedy swordsman character... I think I'm doing this wrong. I stacked DEX up to the mid 30's, believing the stupid thing on the wiki about the 30+ better roll, and now I'm using a unique sword with terrible dex scaling. :v:

If I want to restart, any thoughts on the best route to go for a light speed character? I know I'm going to get wrecked in PvP with it (a high faith character with Wrath and the slow thing with heavy armor and a big friggin shield is the way to go for sure), but lightly armored speed characters are just too fun. I was thinking about stacking faith and using Lit/Fire/Divine weapons, sounds like a blast. Plus I can still abuse those two miracles in PvP if I have to!

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

BobbyBaudoin posted:

Run forward and take the left route around the pillar so the right knight can't hit you. Go forward and just book it up the small path. Pray that the arrows miss, that he goes into melee, and falls off. Ignore the left knight unless you want a soul pick up.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Not being able to target semi invisible characters is infuriating. Such bullshit. Don't exploit flaws in the combat mechanics to simulate "invisiblity".That knight in the forest is loving retarded and some invader pulled the same poo poo on me earlier.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Oct 16, 2011

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Sacrificial Toast posted:

The 9th one is the one that drops the Sunlight Maggot hat and never respawns. You're fine.

Thanks, man! I was pretty freaked out because that guy is my bro.

Goons are the best. The official forums are 3/ths shitposts whenever someone asks for advice.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Ellipson posted:

So after killing the Anor Londo boss with a speedy swordsman character... I think I'm doing this wrong. I stacked DEX up to the mid 30's, believing the stupid thing on the wiki about the 30+ better roll, and now I'm using a unique sword with terrible dex scaling. :v:

If I want to restart, any thoughts on the best route to go for a light speed character? I know I'm going to get wrecked in PvP with it (a high faith character with Wrath and the slow thing with heavy armor and a big friggin shield is the way to go for sure), but lightly armored speed characters are just too fun. I was thinking about stacking faith and using Lit/Fire/Divine weapons, sounds like a blast. Plus I can still abuse those two miracles in PvP if I have to!

Get a painting guardian sword from the white clothed assassins down there by the painting, it scales E to str and A to dex, then go hog wild with the big bonus damage from dex.

Alternatively, Queelag's rageblade from that soul and a +10 scimitar or falchion.

Alternatively alternatively, get a Great Scythe (I think from the painting world but don't quote me on that) since that scales to a B on dex, has a bleed effect and looks pretty kickin rad.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

BigLeafyTree posted:

If you still need help and can't find where to go:

You're probably missing the lever in the skeleton area below. It's by a shaft of light in the large area next to a pillar.

Strange, Went down a well with 3 wheel skeletons and got a annex key but couldn't find a lever or anything

Spike McMayhem
Jun 3, 2005

Mind if I rape ye, then?
So how does the fatty onion looking knight's story play out? I'm kind of getting attached to his laidback derpery and want him to be okay :unsmith:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mr E posted:

Yeah, you have to save the pyromancer guy in the Depths first though.

I just got the key to that place, guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow.

Moggie
Sep 14, 2010
I'm playing a Pyromancer and I'm wondering, if I join the Way of the White covenant to get some Miracle spells and I leave to join a different covenant later on do I lose access to those Miracles I trained or can I still use them?

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
There are some false walls down the one side of the area. Watch out, the one that connects to the area with the lever opens you up for an immediate skeleton wheel ambush. Keep an eye out by the way, there's an alternate route out of that part.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I've tried to get into Blight Town from the back and so far this hasn't been a great idea. Where the hell is the merchant and/or bonfire so I'm not hiking back from Firelink through New Londo and the Valley? Shiva sells literally everything I want to buy.

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
I feel like I've gimped my character somehow, I have been doing fine for most of the game, but the last 2 areas have really kicked my rear end. I finally got got past all the loving traps in Sen's Fortress but I can barely touch the Iron Golemn. I must have tried to beat him like 10 times with no luck (not even getting him to half hp). I'm really good at dodging his attacks and can avoid or block like 9/10 attacks or more but eventually I get hit once or twice, or knocked off the ledge and its really frustrating. I literally do 15 damage to him one handed and 20 2-handed. I finally figured there must be some gimmick thing you have to do and looked up a guide on youtube but lo and behold the dude fighting him is doing nearly 70 damage per 2 handed swing and kills him normally. I'm a level 36 knight and have spent almost all my point in nothing but strength, dexterity, vitality and endurance. I have lost a lot of souls permanently(~20000), but I feel like I should be where I'm at. I have put equal amounts of points into str and dex (both at 20), and I have a +3 katana. Should I re-roll, grind souls/titanite somewhere, or what?

Ellipson
Sep 14, 2007

everything's cool

DeathSandwich posted:

Alternatively, Queelag's rageblade from that soul and a +10 scimitar or falchion.

I'm using her sword now, but it's only B scaling; I assume the painted guardian one will pass it up eventually? from what I'm reading, it's going to be like SL ~150 before it's better :\

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Just found out I can wear 3/4ths of Havel's armor and havel's ring and still roll pretty well.

I got Gwyn down to about 1/3rd before dying due to stamina reasons. I'm starting to get his pattern down and Poise has saved me a million times when drinking potions. Thanks for the advice guys.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

How does Havel's armor compare to fully upgraded heavy armors? I want to know if I should start putting effort into that or if I can coast my sweet stone armor and gold-hemmed hood.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

AtillatheBum posted:

I feel like I've gimped my character somehow, I have been doing fine for most of the game, but the last 2 areas have really kicked my rear end. I finally got got past all the loving traps in Sen's Fortress but I can barely touch the Iron Golemn. I must have tried to beat him like 10 times with no luck (not even getting him to half hp). I'm really good at dodging his attacks and can avoid or block like 9/10 attacks or more but eventually I get hit once or twice, or knocked off the ledge and its really frustrating. I literally do 15 damage to him one handed and 20 2-handed. I finally figured there must be some gimmick thing you have to do and looked up a guide on youtube but lo and behold the dude fighting him is doing nearly 70 damage per 2 handed swing and kills him normally. I'm a level 36 knight and have spent almost all my point in nothing but strength, dexterity, vitality and endurance. I have lost a lot of souls permanently(~20000), but I feel like I should be where I'm at. I have put equal amounts of points into str and dex (both at 20), and I have a +3 katana. Should I re-roll, grind souls/titanite somewhere, or what?

Iron Golem is pretty resistant to Physical damage. Try and find a weapon with magic/fire/lightning damage. There's a Lightning Spear you can find in Sen's that can wreck him pretty good.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Spike McMayhem posted:

So how does the fatty onion looking knight's story play out? I'm kind of getting attached to his laidback derpery and want him to be okay :unsmith:

hmmmmmm hooooooo I'm just here, weighing my options...so to speak :chord:

fyi arguable the best dagger in the game has A dex scaling 500 bleed and 110 bonus occult damage so if you're a dex character try that out!

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

hmmmmmm hooooooo I'm just here, weighing my options...so to speak :chord:

fyi arguable the best dagger in the game has A dex scaling 500 bleed and 110 bonus occult damage so if you're a dex character try that out!

Still closed.

Still closed!

Hmmmmmm.

Siegmeyer of Catarina is the best character.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Noooooo, Onionbro, why?! I teamed up with him to fight the mouth-headed things in the trap in Lost Izalith, but he wasn't moving to get out, so I talked to him and he said something incomprehensible. I didn't get it, so I talked to him again, and he just keeled over and died, right there, for absolutely no reason! He didn't take any damage during the fight, and didn't have the "poisoned" stink clouds coming off of him, so what happened? Was I not supposed to talk to him twice or something? Because if that's what it was, then that is some bullshit. I really wanted to see him make it back to his daughter, too.

Why you gotta go and leave me hanging like that, Onionman Seigmeyer? You were my only friend left in Lordran after Solaire bit it due to headcrabs, and now I've got nobody. :smith:

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Strange, Went down a well with 3 wheel skeletons and got a annex key but couldn't find a lever or anything

There should be a large room down there. I think there's an illusory wall between the cramped tunnels under the well and the large area. The fake wall should be fairly obvious looking and there's a few down there, most keep you in the cramped tunnels but one opens to the large area.

The large area is also accessible through a different entrance from above ground. I think it's from a staircase in the slime area, if you're coming from the front it should be on the left close to the front.

This is from memory so I might be a bit off.

Also, the annex key opens a door from the slime area. It's to the right a bit at the back (if you're coming from the front). It's not anything for progress, just loot if I remember correctly.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
But honestly the last fight would have been even better if you could summon Seig and Solaire but that would just be too trill for From Software.

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!

Alteisen posted:

I just got the key to that place, guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow.

Alternately, if you murder Quelaag and join the Chaos Covenant the egg-dude will upgrade your Fist as well.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Spike McMayhem posted:

Spoilery! Siegmeier of Catarina:

1. You first meet him outside of Sen's Fortress. Talk to him until he wakes up.

2. Open Sen's Fortress. Fiddle with the Indiana Jones trap. You have a chance of seeing our bro on a ledge somewhere in the fort, but this is an optional flag.

3. You will find him in a room in Anor Londo. Talk to him, then slay the Knights.

4. He will appear at Firelink. Say Yes when he asks if you rang both bells.

5. When you return to Firelink next, he will be gone. Find him in Blighttown, opposite the last bonfire. Give him 3 purple moss clumps!

6. You can find his daughter, Sieglinde, in the Duke's Archives just before the Crystal Caves. Defeat all the Crystal Golems. She inhabits a golden one. Beat its rear end, but don't hit her when she appears. Say Yes when she asks if you've seen daddy.

7. At Firelink, say Yes to Sieglinde when she asks if you've seen Daddy... She'll be gone next time you come here.

8. This part is hairy and I haven't performed all 3 possibilities. In Lost Izalith, there is a trap where you fall through the floor before meeting Bed of Chaos.

A. You can kill Siegmeier here and claim his ring.
B. You can kill all the octomaw enemies and he will say he is weak and give you his ring.
C. You can kill all but one octomaw enemy in the pit, weaken it, speak with him 3 times, jump down, he should jump down, finish off the last octomaw with his help. He will nap.
C 1. If he is less than 50% health, he may give you the ring.
C 2. If he is at greater than 50% health, he will nap (I know, right?). (This is the one I did.)

9. If he survives step 8, go to Ash Lake. (Haven't gotten this far.)

Hope that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neetz
Mar 28, 2010
I know boss soul weapons get a bad (and largely justifiable) rep but I've been having a lot of success with the Dragonslayer Spear in PvP. It's damage is quite bad, no denying it, but it works soooo well at frustrating people into death. Firstly, it's range is just ridiculous. You're near enough a constantly moving wall, poking people back into a safe range that they struggle to match. Secondly, I'm assuming you'd only ever really bother with it on a Faith build. With that, you have Vow of Silence and, should you be feeling a little dirty, Tranquil Walk of Peace. The two handed heavy attack does pretty great damage and is fairly viable if you've landed Peace. It looks tremendous too. I take God's Wrath with it but it's not proved necessary so far.

You're in trouble if they have the Fog Ring but I guess everybody is. Like all non strictly elemental weapons, it would massively benefit from better stat scaling as it's damage output without any additional miracles is awful. Probably not the most efficient weapon but man, is it stylish!

• Locked thread