Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

RedTonic posted:

Spoilery! Siegmeier of Catarina:

1. You first meet him outside of Sen's Fortress. Talk to him until he wakes up.

2. Open Sen's Fortress. Fiddle with the Indiana Jones trap. You have a chance of seeing our bro on a ledge somewhere in the fort, but this is an optional flag.

3. You will find him in a room in Anor Londo. Talk to him, then slay the Knights.

4. He will appear at Firelink. Say Yes when he asks if you rang both bells.

5. When you return to Firelink next, he will be gone. Find him in Blighttown, opposite the last bonfire. Give him 3 purple moss clumps!

6. You can find his daughter, Sieglinde, in the Duke's Archives just before the Crystal Caves. Defeat all the Crystal Golems. She inhabits a golden one. Beat its rear end, but don't hit her when she appears. Say Yes when she asks if you've seen daddy.

7. At Firelink, say Yes to Sieglinde when she asks if you've seen Daddy... She'll be gone next time you come here.

8. This part is hairy and I haven't performed all 3 possibilities. In Lost Izalith, there is a trap where you fall through the floor before meeting Bed of Chaos.

A. You can kill Siegmeier here and claim his ring.
B. You can kill all the octomaw enemies and he will say he is weak and give you his ring.
C. You can kill all but one octomaw enemy in the pit, weaken it, speak with him 3 times, jump down, he should jump down, finish off the last octomaw with his help. He will nap.
C 1. If he is less than 50% health, he may give you the ring.
C 2. If he is at greater than 50% health, he will nap (I know, right?). (This is the one I did.)

9. If he survives step 8, go to Ash Lake. (Haven't gotten this far.)

Hope that helps.

If you rescued Sieglinde at the Duke's Archives (She's the golden crystal golem), and Siegmeier drops below 50% health at Lost Izalith, he'll rest. Once you get back to Firelink and tell Sieglinde you've seen Siegmeier, she'll move to Ash Lake. If he dropped down below 50% and rested, he dies, and you get to see Sieglinde crying over his death. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!
In class selection when making a new character, it states that the Thief does higher critical hits. Is this an innate perk of the class, or is it a fake description tied to a piece of starter equipment?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

How can I tell what stats I need to level up to properly use a weapon?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Shlapintogan posted:

If you rescued Sieglinde at the Duke's Archives (She's the golden crystal golem), and Siegmeier drops below 50% health at Lost Izalith, he'll rest. Once you get back to Firelink and tell Sieglinde you've seen Siegmeier, she'll move to Ash Lake. If he dropped down below 50% and rested, he dies, and you get to see Sieglinde crying over his death. :(

poo poo dude I hope he wasn't too wounded. He seems to nap no matter what. :smith:

Another question: Having trouble with Bed of Chaos. How do I get the second sphere? I destroyed the one on the left, now I'm having tons of trouble getting to the 2nd: I went on the wrong side of the roots once, couldn't make it in; other side, I keep getting hit by his root-hands.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Psyker posted:

In class selection when making a new character, it states that the Thief does higher critical hits. Is this an innate perk of the class, or is it a fake description tied to a piece of starter equipment?

Daggers do more damage when you backstab or riposte with them, so it's just the equipment.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Ellipson posted:

I'm using her sword now, but it's only B scaling; I assume the painted guardian one will pass it up eventually? from what I'm reading, it's going to be like SL ~150 before it's better :\

Yeah, don't get me wrong, a B scaling isn't *bad*. Queelag's is good because of 2 reasons: It scales to Dex and it does *massive* fire damage. It also scales to your humanity counter there at the top left, the higher it is, the more damage you do.

To put it in perspective of a str character. I have a demons greataxe that scales to A in strength and a great club that scales to B and 46 strength. The great club has higher base damage and the greataxe has better bonus damage and overall it's really close as to which one is better. For the time being I'm using the great club because I like it's move set better but once I start getting into the 50s in strength and above then the greataxe will really be pulling forward as far as damage goes. That's all for naught though because normally my character uses a +15 standard fuckass club because it's significantly faster anyway unless I'm just wanting to riposte gib people for 1300 damage on the greatclub/axe.

The painting guardian sword probably won't be much of anything to look at for about 10 more levels in dex or so, but it's got two other things going for it: It's speed and it's bleed. Not everything will be bleedable but there will be enough nasty things you see in the future that can be bled and it makes a huge difference.

Something else to figure is how defense works with the split damage types on weapons. If you've got something that does 150 physical damage and 150 magic, and a different weapon that does 300 physical, chances are good the 300 physical one will outperform the split damage one. Defense in this game seems to take damage off the top rather than reducing by a %, so having a bigger raw damage value means more damage gets past their defense.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Where does patches show up in firelink? I just toasted nito in like five great combustions (depressing), and want to buy some sweet masks. I wonder if Nito was supposed to like...do anything. Eh, gently caress that bag of bones.

Need to find something to do with 85k souls now too. I don't want to level beyond 21, I am too indecisive :(

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So, is Seig and his daughter's armor a veiled reference to the "Onion Knight" from Square games?

It's nice that there's a glimmer of humor in an otherwise bleak as hell game.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:

AtillatheBum posted:

I have put equal amounts of points into str and dex (both at 20), and I have a +3 katana. Should I re-roll, grind souls/titanite somewhere, or what?

Try upgrading your weapon or getting something with fire/lightning damage.

I mean this in the nicest way, because I'm at the Iron Golem but have had a similar problem the whole game: weapons seem to suck. I feel like if you don't get the Drake Sword early on you are going to be plinking away at enemies like a bitch FOREVER.

I made a Divine Winged Spear (by grinding Depths blobs, ugh) and it wasn't until +3 that it became on par with the Drake Sword. At +5 it's only slightly stronger, but I was killing Blight Town dudes in 2-3 hits, but Quelaag takes me 15 minutes to kill. Then I get to snake rape city and it feels like every enemy is a loving monster, and I find that Lightning Spear and whoops, it's way loving better than everything and once again, 2-3 hits for average mobs.

Am I missing something about weapons? I'm rolling like 20 str/18 dex and it feels like without some godly found weapons like this, I'd never kill anything. And for some reason I've never even found a Hollowed Soldier's Shield. WTF?

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
So I just got to Blight Town. Holy hell it's quite a jump in difficulty. I'm a level 31 knight with only heal as my only magics. I have a drake sword, and a long sword +5. Am I boned as a melee only? I keep getting poisoned toxi'd. Should I just go back and farm souls until I have a poo poo load of moss of various colors? Also am I too high in SL to be summoned to help people with the Gaper?

Also when I killed the Capra I got an ember and ended up giving it to the black smith near the parish. Did I gently caress myself out of a fire weapon later? I was hoping to make my own firesword but I may have hosed up I suppose.

Either way I'm loving the gently caress out of this game. But gently caress those fatties in blight town.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
The thing that gets me about this game besides the horrible scaling on a lot of weapons is that a lot of the R2 attacks on the slower weapons are so bad in comparison to just the Zweihander's whether it be PvP or PvE without setting up tranquil walk of peace or something. Zweihander's comes out relatively fast, has a good hitbox and knocks down. Greatsword of Artorias has like double the startup and recovery in it's R2, typically does less damage (!), with the only added benefit is that it knocks down and flings the opponent away. But that final attribute is situational in it's usefulness.

Don't even get me started on the Dragon Bone Fist. At least claws can cause bleed.

Every time I think of the DBF's R2, and it doing like 200 damage on a starting hollow when my Zweihander is doing 400 with it's basic attack I'm like "Who thought this was a good balancing decision?".

ThePhenomenalBaby fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Oct 16, 2011

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Filthy Monkey posted:

Where does patches show up in firelink?

I's a bit tricky to give directions, but if you leave Frampt's Chamber heading to the graveyard/Catacombs you should see him.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Arcaeris posted:

Try upgrading your weapon or getting something with fire/lightning damage.

I mean this in the nicest way, because I'm at the Iron Golem but have had a similar problem the whole game: weapons seem to suck. I feel like if you don't get the Drake Sword early on you are going to be plinking away at enemies like a bitch FOREVER.

I made a Divine Winged Spear (by grinding Depths blobs, ugh) and it wasn't until +3 that it became on par with the Drake Sword. At +5 it's only slightly stronger, but I was killing Blight Town dudes in 2-3 hits, but Quelaag takes me 15 minutes to kill. Then I get to snake rape city and it feels like every enemy is a loving monster, and I find that Lightning Spear and whoops, it's way loving better than everything and once again, 2-3 hits for average mobs.

Am I missing something about weapons? I'm rolling like 20 str/18 dex and it feels like without some godly found weapons like this, I'd never kill anything. And for some reason I've never even found a Hollowed Soldier's Shield. WTF?

The basic weapon of any variety really doesn't start getting good until you get it to like +10. If you want a weapon that scales, then look at a post I did a few pages back on good scaling weapons. If you don't care about scaling and want a weapon that is good/fun/effective, get the Server from the bottom of blight town near the great hollow and stick a fire or lightning enchant on it.

Edit:

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Don't even get me started on the Dragon Bone Fist. At least claws can cause bleed.
Yeah, DBF is pretty sorry. It's honestly sad that a basic club out performs it in *every* way.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Oct 16, 2011

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

How does Havel's armor compare to fully upgraded heavy armors? I want to know if I should start putting effort into that or if I can coast my sweet stone armor and gold-hemmed hood.

It's got less poise, but it's better for most other stats, and much lighter, so you can put on some heavy weapons and use a ring beside's Havel's Ring. Also, Havel's set really tanks your stamina regen.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Really? I hadn't noticed anything affecting that other than green blossoms. Do other armor sets affect stamina regeneration too?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

RBA Starblade posted:

Really? I hadn't noticed anything affecting that other than green blossoms. Do other armor sets affect stamina regeneration too?

If it's anything like demons souls then yes, but the difference is something like 1/2 a second to fully charge stamina. It's really not that big of a deal unless you are like 420 wear havel's armor erryday. If you are in medium roll range your stamina regeneration should be completely fine.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

McTimmy posted:

I's a bit tricky to give directions, but if you leave Frampt's Chamber heading to the graveyard/Catacombs you should see him.
Thanks, I found him. Finally decided to blow some souls and took about fifteen levels in...endurance and vit. I figure that is never bad. At least with 26 end, the father's mask, and havel's ring I can rock out the other three pieces of fatty's set along with a claymore, a composite bow, a pyromancy flame, and a hollow soldier shield.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Okay, dammit, I muscled through the second sphere somehow, but now the ground has fallen out from in front of the guy and I don't know how to proceed into the gap under his stupid head. Am I supposed to launch myself onto that small root path under the gap?

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

Shlapintogan posted:

Daggers do more damage when you backstab or riposte with them, so it's just the equipment.

That's disappointing. I was hoping it would be a perk of the class. As it stands, there's little point in picking a Thief. If they made that perk innate, it'd be... well, not amazing, but worthwhile.

For the next "Souls" game, they should add minor perks to give more of a point to the classes other than beginning level/stat allocation and gear. Things like Thieves getting +10% backstab damage, Knights having +10% Poise, etc.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

Giant's Set is the only one I've actually seen that says it impacts Stamina Regeneration.

RedTonic posted:

Okay, dammit, I muscled through the second sphere somehow, but now the ground has fallen out from in front of the guy and I don't know how to proceed into the gap under his stupid head. Am I supposed to launch myself onto that small root path under the gap?

Yes.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

RedTonic posted:

That is exactly what you do. Make sure to get a good look at what's inside that path you break open, but don't look too long!

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Psyker posted:

That's disappointing. I was hoping it would be a perk of the class. As it stands, there's little point in picking a Thief. If they made that perk innate, it'd be... well, not amazing, but worthwhile.

For the next "Souls" game, they should add minor perks to give more of a point to the classes other than beginning level/stat allocation and gear. Things like Thieves getting +10% backstab damage, Knights having +10% Poise, etc.

I think having classes as nothing but a starting kit works for Demon's/Dark Souls. It's nice to be able to adapt as your playstyle evolves.

meat on a Friday
Dec 9, 2010

Just got the darkwood grain ring, hornet ring, slumbering dragoncrest ring, and the fog ring. I can't emphasize how difficult it was getting these rings at level 17. Hopefully they will make PvP fun.

McTimmy posted:

Giant's Set is the only one I've actually seen that says it impacts Stamina Regeneration.

According to the guide, all the heavier armor sets have reduced stamina regeneration.

Loofa08
Apr 17, 2008
God dammit O+S can go blow each other. I had 2 very capable phantoms with me and we seemed to be doing really well, then right before we kill Ornstein one of the guys gets killed and then for some reason its like the fight 180'd on us and we got our poo poo pushed in. loving hate this boss. I was hoping I could have this boss beat before Batman came out but at this rate its not happening.

Loofa08 fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Oct 16, 2011

Optiquest
Feb 8, 2004

Made my 2nd character and just beat gargoyles. Did they drop a key? I can't open the door next to dragon bridge. Ugh

e: If they did drop a key and I missed it, should I just delete?

Thanks!

Optiquest fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Oct 16, 2011

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Optiquest posted:

Made my 2nd character and just beat gargoyles. Did they drop a key? I can't open the door next to dragon bridge. Ugh

The key is in the front of the church around all the caped knights.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
You get that key out front of the Parish, on a body behind the big gate.

It's such a stupidly lazy design decision to let enemies just swing through walls and hit you.

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

Sacrificial Toast posted:

I think having classes as nothing but a starting kit works for Demon's/Dark Souls. It's nice to be able to adapt as your playstyle evolves.

Yes, but at the same token they should just strip away starting classes and have a fallout-esque creation system. Core stats, points for allocation, let the AI decide your starter gear or, alternatively, leave you naked to fend for starting gear?

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
What is the typical level people have been helping on the Bell Gargoyles for? I've been sitting here awhile and haven't seen anyone that needed help. I'm level 12. Do I need to level up a little bit? I don't want to level myself above what would work...

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Brian Fellows posted:

What is the typical level people have been helping on the Bell Gargoyles for? I've been sitting here awhile and haven't seen anyone that needed help. I'm level 12. Do I need to level up a little bit? I don't want to level myself above what would work...

12 seems a bit low for the Bell Gargoyle. I was 18-20ish when I did it.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
So I picked up some Crimson armor awhile back that's basically a robe and looks like it's made for a spellcaster. Most of it has lovely physical defense, but for some reason, even as far as Anor Londo, the Crimson Waistcloth has better defense in all categories, including physical, than most of my heavy armors. :psyduck: Is this a glitch or something? Does anyone else see similar stats on it?

My OCD wants me to wear a matching set of armor, but the stats are too good to pass up. At least an armor upper half and a robe lower half actually looks pretty badass.

meat on a Friday
Dec 9, 2010

Brian Fellows posted:

15-23 is a good range.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
My current armor setup is

Gold Hemmed Head
Elite Knight's Armor (the one that Oscar wore)
Havel's Gauntlets
Havel's Leggings

gently caress I look so rad.

Does upgrading armor make any significant difference in giving you that edge? Wish I could reduce the weight of my armor so I could stop using Havel's Ring. Takes up a slot, but I wanna look fashionable!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

So I picked up some Crimson armor awhile back that's basically a robe and looks like it's made for a spellcaster. Most of it has lovely physical defense, but for some reason, even as far as Anor Londo, the Crimson Waistcloth has better defense in all categories, including physical, than most of my heavy armors. :psyduck: Is this a glitch or something? Does anyone else see similar stats on it?

My OCD wants me to wear a matching set of armor, but the stats are too good to pass up. At least an armor upper half and a robe lower half actually looks pretty badass.

Seeker set is awesome because of its curse resistance, IIRC. I'm slowly working on upgrading a set because I like the all-red getup. :allears:

Bed of Chaos: Mutually Assured Destruction.

POOL IS CLOSED fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Oct 16, 2011

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

AtillatheBum posted:

I feel like I've gimped my character somehow, I have been doing fine for most of the game, but the last 2 areas have really kicked my rear end. I finally got got past all the loving traps in Sen's Fortress but I can barely touch the Iron Golemn. I must have tried to beat him like 10 times with no luck (not even getting him to half hp). I'm really good at dodging his attacks and can avoid or block like 9/10 attacks or more but eventually I get hit once or twice, or knocked off the ledge and its really frustrating. I literally do 15 damage to him one handed and 20 2-handed. I finally figured there must be some gimmick thing you have to do and looked up a guide on youtube but lo and behold the dude fighting him is doing nearly 70 damage per 2 handed swing and kills him normally. I'm a level 36 knight and have spent almost all my point in nothing but strength, dexterity, vitality and endurance. I have lost a lot of souls permanently(~20000), but I feel like I should be where I'm at. I have put equal amounts of points into str and dex (both at 20), and I have a +3 katana. Should I re-roll, grind souls/titanite somewhere, or what?

You can summon an npc that does like 150 damage to the iron giant.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I feel like the slow miracle single handily ruins PvP in this game. Is there anyway around it?

Edit: HOLY poo poo. I just got 880,000 souls from killing someone as a Darkwraith. How is this calculated?

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Megasabin posted:

I feel like the slow miracle single handily ruins PvP in this game. Is there anyway around it?

Run up and smack them before it goes off? Embrace the slowness and cast Iron Flesh? I haven't actually tried either of these things, just guesssing.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Megasabin posted:

AoE spell them. Choice ones include Firestorm of all types, Gravelord Greatsword Dance, God's Wrath, and Homing Soulmass. If you have Vow of Silence and are a melee character that will gently caress up their whole plan as well.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Megasabin posted:

Well, if you're slowed, you may as well drop Iron Flesh or wear hell of heavy armor + poise. double handing the stone giant greatsword thing and using the strong attack apparently lets you inflict slow as well. . . That is all I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Megasabin posted:

You could get Iron flesh and cast it every time you get slowed but it's not exactly perfect, as the problem of not being able to catch up with your target is still there. You can probably put it with the things you can't actually counter list which ruin pvp.

• Locked thread