Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I dunno, I don't think Dark Souls is all the great and I really liked Demon's Souls. The hit detection for magic seems to be even more hosed up that I remember in Demon's Souls. I'll fire off a bolt while locked on and it misses because the guy slowly ambles to the right. I'll be on a ledge looking down and locked on and fire a bolt and he just fires straight in front of him. On the rare occasion I've had it just pass right through an enemy.

Combine that with level design that just annoys me (DO YOU LOVE SMALL LEDGES EVERYWHERE? WE DO) and I just don't enjoy the game that much.

I just think they caught lightning in a bottle with Demon's Souls and didn't fix or took out what I liked about it. I'm still giving it a shot but I definitely don't feel the same way I did about Demon's Souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

The Black Stones posted:

I dunno, I don't think Dark Souls is all the great and I really liked Demon's Souls. The hit detection for magic seems to be even more hosed up that I remember in Demon's Souls. I'll fire off a bolt while locked on and it misses because the guy slowly ambles to the right. I'll be on a ledge looking down and locked on and fire a bolt and he just fires straight in front of him. On the rare occasion I've had it just pass right through an enemy.

Combine that with level design that just annoys me (DO YOU LOVE SMALL LEDGES EVERYWHERE? WE DO) and I just don't enjoy the game that much.

I just think they caught lightning in a bottle with Demon's Souls and didn't fix or took out what I liked about it. I'm still giving it a shot but I definitely don't feel the same way I did about Demon's Souls.

I have pyro skills and frequently fireballs just seem to fall at their feet. I don't know if I'm too far away or what but it stinks.

I haven't played Demon's Souls but I remember hearing that magic is borderline broken in it? Maybe they just didn't want people relying on it so much this time. Sounds like they took the nerfing a bit too far though.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

HondaCivet posted:

I have pyro skills and frequently fireballs just seem to fall at their feet. I don't know if I'm too far away or what but it stinks.

I haven't played Demon's Souls but I remember hearing that magic is borderline broken in it? Maybe they just didn't want people relying on it so much this time. Sounds like they took the nerfing a bit too far though.
You're too far away, yeah. Lock-on range doesn't necessarily equate to the spell range.

And magic is still completely broken in Dark Souls. I won't go into the nitty gritty since I think people are avoiding that sort of thing by being in the RPG thread and not the DS thread, but yeah trust me - magic is more broken than ever. Pyro in particular is amazing since it's independent of your stats.

I personally love Dark Souls way more than I ever loved Demon Souls. It's true the game does seem a bit more punishing early on, but ultimately I found Dark Souls to be easier than Demon Souls in the long run. The game is a lot more easily breakable and the bonfire placement makes death a lot easier to cope with than the 10 minute walk backs to the boss portal in Demon Souls. Also I wasn't punished for the gender I picked (seriously what the gently caress Demon Souls?)

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

You know you could have used hormones to make your character look like a female...

I just got the game today, I defeated the first two small bosses and stopped playing after that. Framerate drops in the 360 but I heard the same about the PS3 version, sad to see this since DS never had that issue.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Rascyc posted:

Also I wasn't punished for the gender I picked (seriously what the gently caress Demon Souls?)

...other than a couple pieces of gear, did that do anything at all?

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Syrg Sapphire posted:

...other than a couple pieces of gear, did that do anything at all?
I'm fairly certain that gender did anything other than prevent you from using certain types of armor.

The only big differences between genders equipment is that females get some extra pieces Magic power increasing piece of armor.

So, I guess if they wanted to use magic a ton I guess that's something?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Ulio posted:

Framerate drops in the 360 but I heard the same about the PS3 version, sad to see this since DS never had that issue.

What? Yeah it did, all the time. It's more prevalent in Dark Souls because the areas are larger, but framerate was definitely an irritant in Demon's Souls.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I'm convinced we'll find out a few years from now that the D-Souls games were just social experiments designed to see how much abuse people can take and everything in the games, including apparent frame rate drops, was done on purpose to help irritate the player a little bit every time.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

OneDeadman posted:

I'm fairly certain that gender did anything other than prevent you from using certain types of armor.

The only big differences between genders equipment is that females get some extra pieces Magic power increasing piece of armor.

So, I guess if they wanted to use magic a ton I guess that's something?
Hell yeah, and that female armor looked the best! That was mostly it.

Koops
Mar 27, 2010

Rascyc posted:

Also I wasn't punished for the gender I picked (seriously what the gently caress Demon Souls?)

There were also the female-only bracelets that increased soul gains.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Ulio posted:

You know you could have used hormones to make your character look like a female...

I just got the game today, I defeated the first two small bosses and stopped playing after that. Framerate drops in the 360 but I heard the same about the PS3 version, sad to see this since DS never had that issue.

I had my framerate completely poo poo the bed on me at one point. Like 4 enemies on screen and that thing was acting like it was a loving picture book (Ps3)

It's not a bad game, but I guess I'm not up for an actiony RPG after finising Xenoblade (different games, but more action oriented) so I think I might just boot up Atelier Totori instead and just have fun making stupid poo poo.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

I'm putting off starting Xenoblade because of Dark Souls. :ohdear: It was a tough choice but Xenoblade doesn't have a multiplayer component so it won't be a big deal to put it off a bit.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Ulio posted:

DS was my first game for my ps3, and I remember that after I went to that bridge were the dragon is (after the first boss) and he roasted all those soldiers on it, the frame rate dropped incredibly and I thought I had broken my ps3 :(

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

If you want an interesting mostly-historical based CRPG, Darklands was recently released on GOG.

Also a newer but still good game IMO, The Last Remnant, is the Steam daily deal for the next 2 1/2 hours at $10. You might be able to save a buck or too as well if you get an Euro/UK goon to gift if or you.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

casual poster posted:

DS was my first game for my ps3, and I remember that after I went to that bridge were the dragon is (after the first boss) and he roasted all those soldiers on it, the frame rate dropped incredibly and I thought I had broken my ps3 :(

I was wrong in saying there was no framerate drop in Demon Souls but when it occurred there was something going on for it to happen. In Dark Souls it happens when you're fighting two regular skeleton and a guy throwing firebombs at you. I know the open world might be the reason behind it but when it occurs in every small confrontation its annoying. Don't know if installing it will do any good.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

12 hours into Star Ocean on the PS3 and it's already better than FF13.

Bad design choices however:
- go back to your ship to create items
- english voice acting, edge japanese in combat script
- overall script
- restrictive camera
- linear pathways
- 20 item limit
- lovely drop rates
- quests don't auto complete requiring backtracking
- reserve characters don't gain even a portion of the XP main party members get
- lymle
- can't group mobs together in a zone to fight them all at once
- loading after leaving combat
- equipment doesn't show up out of combat, only weapons show in combat and generally only on people like lymle or reime
- skillpoints system is kind of lame
- bosses have fucktons of hp and mobs barely have anything.
- combat isn't responsive enough, after doing a special attack you're locked and can't move for a few seconds
- there are specific frames where you can't hit the mob because their hitbox disappears

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

12 hours into Star Ocean on the PS3 and it's already better than FF13.

Bad design choices however:
- The entire game (sans combat)

That's pretty much all you needed to say.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

The Black Stones posted:

Having played both games, I prefer FF13 far more to Star Ocean: TLH. Yeah, 13 was too linear, but I actually preferred the combat to TLH. Perhaps that's just me, though.

Though the list of things wrong with TLH is something I can agree with (especially Lymle), and the plot seems a bit "meh" in my opinion.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
The plot is completely awful, especially once you reach the end of disc 1 (360 version, IIRC it's the third planet you visit).

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

The Black Stones posted:

Right, and it still is a better experience than ff13. I think I got more interactivity and exciting things happening that I could actually control out of loving phoenix wright.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

The plot is completely awful, especially once you reach the end of disc 1 (360 version, IIRC it's the third planet you visit).

Really disappointing because SO4 seemed at first like a weird Japanese love letter to Star Trek.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Defiance Industries posted:

Really disappointing because SO4 seemed at first like a weird Japanese love letter to Star Trek.

All Star Ocean games start out like that then 30 minutes later you're stuck on a cliché low-tech fantasy world for most of the game. :/

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

All Star Ocean games start out like that then 30 minutes later you're stuck on a cliché low-tech fantasy world for most of the game. :/

I'm 12 hours in and I really feel at some times it fits that cliche. Elf guy is spock, girl is the nurse/com officer, and edge is...someone else. He's no kirk.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Now that I think about it, the only thing I specifically know about Star Ocean 4 is that Stone Ocean is... distinct. I'd love to check it out myself, but I need to scrounge up a suitably disposable $60 and finish Wild Arms 4 first.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

I know FF13 gets a lot of poo poo around here, but it is no way as bad as SO4. I've finished both, and Star Ocean but some of the design choices that went into creating that game were just staggeringly bad. The voice acting ranges from mediocre to outright horrible, the dungeons are long and boring and the save points are stupidly far apart, the cutscenes are tedious and unbearable to watch but are atleast skippable (except the crafting ones, which are the most unbearable of all) and the story just plain sucks.

The combat carries the game, and is honestly quite fun, but everything else about is just painful. gently caress that game.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Level Slide posted:

Now that I think about it, the only thing I specifically know about Star Ocean 4 is that Stone Ocean is... distinct. I'd love to check it out myself, but I need to scrounge up a suitably disposable $60 and finish Wild Arms 4 first.

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Ocean-Last-International-Playstation-3/dp/B002I0J4AM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318815209&sr=8-1 $35 new

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Ocean-Last-Hope-Xbox-360/dp/B001LGFPSY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1318815209&sr=8-2 $24 new

360 has a better cover but I feel the ps3 version is better.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Star Ocean: TLH 360-PS3 Differences (I have both versions)

= Shadowing is better on the 360 version, which makes some areas darker/sharper. PS3 version looks lighter. Personal preference.
= Some treasure chest locations were reorganized. You find certain arts later than in the 360 version so you won't be able to use them in certain battles.
= English/Japanese voice selection is in the PS3 version.
= PS3 has in-battle character portrait selection - 3D vs 2D. No more uncanny valley portraits.

+ Manual target locking/unlocking in the PS3 version, but it's not as responsive as I'd like.
+ The PS3 version is on 1 disc. Swapping discs in the 360 version was annoying especially when backtracking to early areas.

- Item Creation is nerfed in the PS3 version. It's much harder or no longer possible to get as many EXP/Money multipliers/factors on items compared to the 360 version. This makes grinding more time consuming.
- Slightly lower resolution than the 360 version. Both versions are sub-720p anyway.

They're mostly identical otherwise.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'm 12 hours in and I really feel at some times it fits that cliche. Elf guy is spock, girl is the nurse/com officer, and edge is...someone else. He's no kirk.

He's Janeway.

Edit: Got some questions on Atelier Totori and Dark Souls.

On AT, what happened to Totori's mother. I know you'll find out eventually, I just like this kind of thing spoiled in games like this cause it's inevitably something dumb and I don't like getting my hopes up.

On Dark Souls, I've gotten to Anor Londo and am getting my rear end handed to me more than usual. I want to get one of these elemental weapons, where should I go to get one/find a blacksmith to upgrade my halberd to one.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Oct 17, 2011

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Well I got past the nappy time scene at least.

The animations generally are pretty good, as are the camera angles and general production of it. At times though the art direction in the design of levels is pretty awful. Lets have doors the same color as everything else whoo.

Kind of wish I could zoom out and move the camera around.

I also have a pipedream that one day I can play these on my PC at a good resolution and aliasing, but that's probably at least 20 years from now, if that. This would be gorgeous on that resolution with texture filtering.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
I think Star Ocean 4 would have been better if they had a more competent director in charge. From what I've seen in interviews the director wanted to make a dating sim but the president of tri-Ace pretty much went "Hahaha, no. Go make a Star Ocean". So instead the game just has a whole bunch of creepy poo poo in it and a plot that...well okay, the plot is still better than Star Ocean 3 but that's not saying much. The gameplay is alright, though there's some balance issues with the battle system (mages are pretty much useless for example, which to be fair is kind of a problem with most Star Ocean games)

Boneless Jogger fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Oct 17, 2011

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is there some theme going on with "handing out power to lesser races makes them terrible" and "Edge trusts everyone by asking if he should trust them or not"?

Cause it certainly happens often enough.

I wish Reime wasn't the stereotypical anime girl.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I dunno, I found it completely hilarious. I play Star Ocean in part for the deeply terrible plots, and after SO3 I was wondering how they'd be able to top 'the entire universe is a computer game'. So when the ship got sucked into a black hole and thrown back in time and space to reveal that Roswell was the fault of catgirls instead of Greys, followed almost immediately by Edge straight-up blowing the entire (alternate) Earth apart and escaping, presumably back through another black hole, to the present day ALL JUST to build up some decent angst for him, well, that was just fantastic.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Alright, I finally had the chance to put in and play me some Atelier Totori (any game that I pick up at the same time as a title like Dark Souls will inevitably be shelved for a very long time), and drat, I already like it more than Rorona. Mainly because Totori is a lot more tolerable than Rorona ever was. I don't like the whole 'time passes for fighting and gathering' bit, that's really annoying, but I think there were a good deal of improvements made to the system as a whole that were really needed. Also, Ceci is a real bitch, goddamn.

I also picked up a bit of the DLC because I'm a whore. (Vocal Nefertiti? fffffffffyes)

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Stelas posted:

I dunno, I found it completely hilarious. I play Star Ocean in part for the deeply terrible plots, and after SO3 I was wondering how they'd be able to top 'the entire universe is a computer game'. So when the ship got sucked into a black hole and thrown back in time and space to reveal that Roswell was the fault of catgirls instead of Greys, followed almost immediately by Edge straight-up blowing the entire (alternate) Earth apart and escaping, presumably back through another black hole, to the present day ALL JUST to build up some decent angst for him, well, that was just fantastic.

I just got past that part and i'm like "wow Edge loving lost his marbles"

Also I think I'm playing this game just for Welch's reactions at this point.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

S-Alpha posted:

Alright, I finally had the chance to put in and play me some Atelier Totori (any game that I pick up at the same time as a title like Dark Souls will inevitably be shelved for a very long time), and drat, I already like it more than Rorona. Mainly because Totori is a lot more tolerable than Rorona ever was. I don't like the whole 'time passes for fighting and gathering' bit, that's really annoying, but I think there were a good deal of improvements made to the system as a whole that were really needed. Also, Ceci is a real bitch, goddamn.

I also picked up a bit of the DLC because I'm a whore. (Vocal Nefertiti? fffffffffyes)

I have not played an Atelier game since the first Atelier Iris. Now, it was a lovely game as a whole, but the most fun part was working in the item shops and messing around with item creation in general. The reason I never bothered with the sequels was because I heard that they decided to emphasize the combat over the item creation.

So, yeah, if I liked the item creation of that game, will I like Totori?

EDIT: Judging from the last few pages, I think the answer is 'yes'.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Oct 17, 2011

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

It's possible to get through a lot of the game just avoiding fights and chilling out making items, which is by far a bigger focus of the game. The main thrust of the PS3 games is on time management and efficiency, and most of the recipes aren't huge trees like they are in the AI games, but there's a lot more fussing around with quality and traits. You could do worse than give it a try.

S-Alpha posted:

'time passes for fighting and gathering'

You get used to this in time, and there's a number of upgrades to dramatically cut down on time spent. I just got Diamond rank, the last one you can get within the three-year period in a little shy of a year and a half.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
So, for anyone who has been following or is interested in Age of Decadence: it looks like the proper demo might be released in December this year. The combat demo was immensely fun and I must have finished it (and the special bonus ending battle) about 20 times.

At the top of this page, one of the devs gives the December estimate. Extremely psyched about this game being finished, especially since before the combat demo came out I was sure it was vaporware. Kind of like Darkfall online coming out, but then not being completely terrible.

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
They need to fix Dark Souls and reset everyone back to level one.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Unlucky7 posted:

I have not played an Atelier game since the first Atelier Iris. Now, it was a lovely game as a whole, but the most fun part was working in the item shops and messing around with item creation in general. The reason I never bothered with the sequels was because I heard that they decided to emphasize the combat over the item creation.

The Iris subseries (and to an extent, Mana Khemia as well) was Gust's attempt at making a more traditional RPG style of Atelier game, since the other PS2 games preceding them didn't sell very well. Plus I believe they wanted to get someone releasing their games in the Western market and what American in their right mind would like a game where you play as a girl who makes items?! Iris 2 is the best out of the three Iris games, it's the best balanced.

Also it's interesting to see similarities between their different PS2 games. Iris 1 is a prototype of Iris 2, which had some elements moved into Ar tonelico. Likewise, Mana Khemia took a lot from Iris 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mune
Sep 23, 2006

quote:

Star Ocean

I think the SO series would be great if they cut out all the anime bullshit (and really didn't focus on stories at all, and probably got rid of voice acting) and made the battles have a larger scale (i.e. more enemies).

Regardless, I will still buy every SO game ever made and I will probably still use the 'event skip' feature every single time.