Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Do the old tuning calculators work well enough with this game? I imagine that things may be much different this time around with body roll and the new tires but I'm pretty hopeless when it comes to figuring specific numbers for suspension settings so I'd like to start using one of those again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Teeter posted:

Do the old tuning calculators work well enough with this game? I imagine that things may be much different this time around with body roll and the new tires but I'm pretty hopeless when it comes to figuring specific numbers for suspension settings so I'd like to start using one of those again

They seem to be working fine.

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day

JaysonAych posted:

Yeah, my personal view is that tire compound upgrades take up a lot of PI, and sometimes just widening the tires or upgrading the suspension may be all you need to get the handling you're looking for. Those two things take up a lot less PI that can be used for other upgrades.

For absolute beginners, "put better tires on it" is a good step one. There's rarely a time when putting better tires on a car won't get the desired results, of getting a car to win a class when upgraded to the top of its letter. Especially for a newbie who can't handle power and who messes up in the turns. (Although technically they won't be getting the tires warm so there's a lot of wasted room and etc etc...)

As people start to pick up on how they like to play the game, there is no best answer, and Forza 4's affinity makes that a much less scary thing to propose. There are a couple of cars I own (Datsun 270) that are ridiculously fun to drive with everything spent on the engine and little to no wheel improvements. Or tldr- I stick by the posted guide for newbies, for everyone else just get that Affinity to Level 4 and then play around with it.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
To that person who recommended taking my car around the nurburgring, do you mean in Free Play? I don't see a Test Drive option like in Forza 3 under the select an action menu on my car.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

Brace posted:

To that person who recommended taking my car around the nurburgring, do you mean in Free Play? I don't see a Test Drive option like in Forza 3 under the select an action menu on my car.

It's in the Upgrade menu.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Shogunner posted:

It's in the Upgrade menu.

:unsmith: Thanks again for the help forza goons

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!

Idiot race posted:

How the gently caress do you do these topgear bowling things, the score is stupidly high for some reason. Somehow i'm having problems getting enough points with a 500bhp hummer on slicks.

Use a car with no upgrades, don't drive too fast and try to aim so that pins you hit will fan out. There's no time limit and you need to knock over as many gold pins as you can since those are the big score inflators.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Keep in mind that for some stupid reason there is no rewind in test drive mode. Maybe it's because it doesn't record a ghost, who knows. It's just really frustrating to be testing my car, mess up a corner, damage everything and then have to restart with cold tires

Re: The bowling, it isn't that hard. You can't get all the pins, but you can get a big chunk of them. Slam into them sideways from one big part into another big part. It seems like they are arranged in a way that you can just slide into a big chunk of them. That's how I do it at least. Trying to knock them down and getting the pins to knock down other pins doens't seem to work, as they are so far apart. I just go fast and slam into them, and I always end up with more points than I need.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Oct 17, 2011

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Anyone else just drive straight through autocross and give no fucks about winning it?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Cojawfee posted:

Keep in mind that for some stupid reason there is no rewind in test drive mode. Maybe it's because it doesn't record a ghost, who knows. It's just really frustrating to be testing my car, mess up a corner, damage everything and then have to restart with cold tires

Re: The bowling, it isn't that hard. You can't get all the pins, but you can get a big chunk of them. Slam into them sideways from one big part into another big part. It seems like they are arranged in a way that you can just slide into a big chunk of them. That's how I do it at least. Trying to knock them down and getting the pins to knock down other pins doens't seem to work, as they are so far apart. I just go fast and slam into them, and I always end up with more points than I need.

Yeah, sliding into the groups of pins got me from getting usually around 8000-9000 points per group to between 20,000 and 50,000 depending on the size of the grouping. It's pretty much the easiest way to do it.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

Hmmm I tried knocking as many as possible one section at a time but I ended up using something awd and keeping my speed up as high as possible which seemed to work better.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

go3 posted:

Anyone else just drive straight through autocross and give no fucks about winning it?

I take the opposite approach, take it super slow and go through all the gates. They give you sooo much time, without taking 5 second penalties you should pass no problem.

Now that I'm in GISH, what's the best way to get in some online goon racing? I've seen enough of the career mode for now.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど
Forza 4 has so many great features but I so miss 2's option to swap the SVT Focus with a 2.3 liter engine. I loved that car. :(

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Someone please send me a Car Club invite to Ricco Suave. Just looking for some fun dudes to race with.

Dispersal
Nov 5, 2005

Never change, pink Chevy Spark. That little car is an absolute money making machine, big thanks, Padraig!

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
So, how does the World Tour mode work, mechanically speaking? Does the game just throw you a randomized track and three randomized events leveled to your car or player level, one after the other forever?

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

GreatGreen posted:

So, how does the World Tour mode work, mechanically speaking? Does the game just throw you a randomized track and three randomized events leveled to your car or player level, one after the other forever?
Based on your car it goes from track to track and picks races from events that your car qualifies for. I personally prefer it to racing from series to series because you can choose to race a different car every race, if you prefer. As someone who enjoys the variety that a game like Forza throws at me, it dominates the ol' event list, which is still there.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Daft 'Vette! Inspired by Guy Homme's helmet:

I've made some minor changes since taking the photos but you get the gist of it

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Option request for Forza 5: Subwoofers in the back

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Pitch posted:

Forza 4 has so many great features but I so miss 2's option to swap the SVT Focus with a 2.3 liter engine. I loved that car. :(

Yeah, I'm sort of disappointed that the number of crazy swaps available went down. Those didn't take any more effort to offer, the data for the engines are all still there to support the cars they're still in, just not offered in the same combinations.

I miss my R8 with a V12 Diesel LeMans engine. F4 won't even let me put in the Q7's TDI.

e: Also, I called Best Buy again today and they were finally able to give me my code for the 1M. My roommate called for his and the one they gave him was indicating already used on XBL. They really did not handle this part well for in-store buyers.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Oct 17, 2011

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Is there an Ownership checklist? Hit 50 and now it's time to start filling out my garage.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Wolfy posted:

Based on your car it goes from track to track and picks races from events that your car qualifies for. I personally prefer it to racing from series to series because you can choose to race a different car every race, if you prefer. As someone who enjoys the variety that a game like Forza throws at me, it dominates the ol' event list, which is still there.

Cool. I guess coming from the Gran Turismo carrer mode style of "here's some events we've made up, go buy a car you don't want, upgrade it, and never use it again" I just can't believe the Forza guys have made a game mode so completely suited to just letting you do whatever you want and then rewarding you for it. It's like I have racing game stockholm syndrome or something.

I will say though that a little while ago I entered an event and the game recommended I upgrade my crappy level 0 car I switched to, so I'm guessing the events are leveled based on your driver level as opposed to the car you're in. Then again I did swap cars after I entered the event with another better one, so who knows.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Athanatos posted:

Is there an Ownership checklist? Hit 50 and now it's time to start filling out my garage.

I was wondering this too. With so many cars, and 60+ more being added in the coming months, it would be nice to know exactly what you do and don't own.

Dbhjed
Jul 20, 2006

Homework?!
Lipstick Apathy
How does Career Progress work? I am on race 3 of the Expert series but my progress is only 3%. How do you progress more?

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

wolrah posted:

Yeah, I'm sort of disappointed that the number of crazy swaps available went down. Those didn't take any more effort to offer, the data for the engines are all still there to support the cars they're still in, just not offered in the same combinations.
It wasn't even crazy. I drive a 2.3 liter Focus. :(

Your other point probably explains it though as there's no vehicle in the lineup that comes with one stock.

(there could be if they'd include a Caterham :argh:)

norton I
May 1, 2008

His Imperial Majesty Emperor Norton I

Emperor of these United States

Protector of Mexico
I'm still not sure how all of the club/friends and stuff works, but is there a goon group I should send a request to?

I'm not great at this, but I'm tired of playing with the general population.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

Dbhjed posted:

How does Career Progress work? I am on race 3 of the Expert series but my progress is only 3%. How do you progress more?

Keep going. There's about 290 events/races.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!
Great couple of races, GISH guys. I'm surprised I did so well with a drat Subaru.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

GreatGreen posted:

Cool. I guess coming from the Gran Turismo carrer mode style of "here's some events we've made up, go buy a car you don't want, upgrade it, and never use it again" I just can't believe the Forza guys have made a game mode so completely suited to just letting you do whatever you want and then rewarding you for it. It's like I have racing game stockholm syndrome or something.

I will say though that a little while ago I entered an event and the game recommended I upgrade my crappy level 0 car I switched to, so I'm guessing the events are leveled based on your driver level as opposed to the car you're in. Then again I did swap cars after I entered the event with another better one, so who knows.

Yeah the game is the polar opposite from GT's mode of thinking. You can take a widdle MX5 up 3 classes I think just in upgrades so you never feel like you are stuck without a vehicle even if you have some aversion to buying cars.

Personally, I reckon it's like pokemon. Gotta catch em all!

Marauder Stig
Oct 28, 2010

One shudders to imagine what inhuman thoughts lie behind that mask. What dreams of chronic sustained cruelty.
To anyone asking about tuning: I use this tuning calculator:

http://www.mediafire.com/?wmzudnwzciz

just put the weight and weight distribution in the yellow boxes at the top, correct tuning stats come out the bottom :). Also the second worksheet has a gear ratio calculator.

It's for Forza 3, and it still has the same effect on handling as in Forza 4, to me at least. Bear in mind, I have a very throttle-steering-centric driving style.

When I fix my router and buy a new mic, I am so looking forward to racing online with you guys.

crabfriend
Oct 12, 2010

NO

I love this game.

My terrible driving aside, those few races were fun with the GISH dudes. Whoever put the A class Prius in the club garage is my hero, that thing is a beast.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

abigserve posted:

Personally, I reckon it's like pokemon. Gotta catch em all!

That's how racing games have always been for me. I collected every car in all of the Gran Turismo games (just recently finished it for GT5) and did it for Forza 1. Gonna do it again in Forza 4.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

Dbhjed posted:

GreatGreen posted:

Progress is based off how much of the Event List you've completed. The pisser is that they often give you events in World Tour that don't exist in the Event List. It could say "Your next race is at Silverstone!" and you would choose, for example, the Class B World Tour and finish that. Then you go to the Event List, only to find you've completed "0/5" races in the Class B World Tour, because that event never actually takes place on that track.

The only way I've found to combat this is too look at the three choices in world tour, then go back to the event list and find one of those three events that takes place on the track you're at in world tour, then go back to the world tour screen and race it.

It does not matter the configuration, direction or number of laps. As long as that event takes place on that track in the event list, completing on the world tour will also complete it on the event list.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
I'm going to have to download some tuners to race against goons. :downs: Fun races though, I was Im A GPS Facial. I wish LLJK wasn't full up.

Dbhjed
Jul 20, 2006

Homework?!
Lipstick Apathy

WienerDog posted:

Progress is based off how much of the Event List you've completed. The pisser is that they often give you events in World Tour that don't exist in the Event List. It could say "Your next race is at Silverstone!" and you would choose, for example, the Class B World Tour and finish that. Then you go to the Event List, only to find you've completed "0/5" races in the Class B World Tour, because that event never actually takes place on that track.

The only way I've found to combat this is too look at the three choices in world tour, then go back to the event list and find one of those three events that takes place on the track you're at in world tour, then go back to the world tour screen and race it.

It does not matter the configuration, direction or number of laps. As long as that event takes place on that track in the event list, completing on the world tour will also complete it on the event list.

Ah, thank you. I guess I will complete the World Series then go back and do the ones I don't have done on the list. If I need a break from the world tour it would be good to go back and do the F and E races.

Nounverber
Jan 8, 2005

PopeOnARope posted:

Great couple of races, GISH guys. I'm surprised I did so well with a drat Subaru.

Word, it was my first time setting up a goon game so I thought I'd send out club invites. The soccer game mode is amazing. :v:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

I sat down with the vinyl editor with a solid goal in mind. Some fiddling and experimenting later, I had produced this:

The lighting on the hat needs some fiddling :toot: Why is it so fuzzy though? :(

Lediur
Jul 16, 2007
The alternative to anything is nothing.
Is there any way to rejoin a session after you've been kicked? I got voted out of an LLJK session due to inactivity and I haven't been able to rejoin for the past hour or so.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

Nounverber posted:

Word, it was my first time setting up a goon game so I thought I'd send out club invites. The soccer game mode is amazing. :v:

I'm dying to get a goal in GISH Soccer. I swear the buzzer went moments before my partner and I were about to net our first goal. can't wait to do it again tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Athanatos posted:

Not exactly, but when you're in Buy mode it will put a little garage icon on the cars you already own, so you can just go through each manufacturer one-by-one and buy any cars that don't have that icon.

• Locked thread