Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself
gently caress the Tomb! I ran through the Catacombs thinking I was the business with my +5 divine weapon of justice. And they make that level easy, too. So there you go cruising through the boss and it hits you with the Tomb.

gently caress the Tomb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Does anyone know if there are any plans to release the soundtrack separate from the guide? It's amazing and I want it but the guide and OST together cost $65 on Amazon.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.
Here is some advice for anybody who has yet to do the Tomb of Giants. Go do Izalith first so you get a Sunlight Maggot and then do the Tomb.

evilalien fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Oct 17, 2011

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
What the heck is a sunlight maggot?

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Vatek posted:

What the heck is a sunlight maggot?

The best thing ever for the Tomb of Giants.

War Eagle
Mar 27, 2007

Getting eaten by the Abominable Snowman, thats a freak accident.

Smelly posted:

I beat them my first try, what I did was:
equip Havel's Armor (I already had it since I'm a tank)
two hand your weapon
don't stop attacking for the love of god just tear into them and don't stop.

It's one of those fights where you just need to go all sorts of :black101: on their asses

Saw a video where someone else used this exact same strategy. I ended up using spells and getting it done, but this is probably an easier way to go about it if you don't have tons of Int.

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself
I've been neglicting strength since I wanted to go the occult route and don't like two handed weapons. Now I'm really kicking myself because some of those giant shield won't let me be a super awesome Knight without one.

What's a good medium sized one to use until I eventually get my STR up (it's at 16)

I've been using Balder but want something to that doesn't suck so hard

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

War Eagle posted:

Saw a video where someone else used this exact same strategy. I ended up using spells and getting it done, but this is probably an easier way to go about it if you don't have tons of Int.

Incidentally, I like how the Abyss is exactly how it sounds. Most games have there be fog or some spooky ruins or caves or whatever, but not Dark Souls!

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

invalid posted:

I've been neglicting strength since I wanted to go the occult route and don't like two handed weapons. Now I'm really kicking myself because some of those giant shield won't let me be a super awesome Knight without one.

What's a good medium sized one to use until I eventually get my STR up (it's at 16)

I've been using Balder but want something to that doesn't suck so hard

Both the Hollow Soldier Shield (drop from spear enemies in the Burg/Parish) and the Eagle Shield (found in Blighttown) can be be used for the entirety of the game as they get very good stability when upgraded.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
Where do I find the key that lets me unlock the valley of drakes shortcut near the blighttown swamp entrance?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
It took me a bit to get into this game, but holy poo poo I'm loving it. I wasn't a fan of the halbred in Demons Souls but am loving it here.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Macksy posted:

Where do I find the key that lets me unlock the valley of drakes shortcut near the blighttown swamp entrance?

If you mean the locked door between the Valley of the Drakes and New Londo, the key should be right at the top of the first ladder in a chest if you enter Blighttown from the Valley of the Drakes.

Nuuds P00dle
Jun 28, 2011

smash em crash em bash em:shroom:
How the hell do I get past the dragon in undead burg?

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

Miles and miles of friends!

Vatek posted:

Level up more unless you're trying to do some gimmick low-level run. You should be SL 40-55 or so by the time you get there.

Trying to stay lowish level so I can go and help people out with Capra. :shobon:

Just gotta keep trying! I can get O down pretty easily (Great Combustion three shots him!), I'm just having trouble not getting hit a single time while whittling away at S.

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself

evilalien posted:

Here is some advice for anybody who has yet to do the Tomb of Giants. Go do Izalith first so you get a Sunlight Maggot and then do the Tomb.

Heh - I don't even know where that is. I looked it up on the wiki and it said it was past another place I've never heard of - I swear I'm taking twice as long as everyone else through this game.

Ryven
Sep 25, 2004
So I may have run into a problem.

Does the ninth bug that drop the sunlight maggot respawn if I already may or may not have killed them. Ahhh, who am I kidding I already know the answer to this.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Nuuds P00dle posted:

How the hell do I get past the dragon in undead burg?

Run across the bridge with your shield up. To the right about halfway across are stairs leading down.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

Does anyone know if there are any plans to release the soundtrack separate from the guide? It's amazing and I want it but the guide and OST together cost $65 on Amazon.

Does it not come with the US special edition? It did with the UK one along with a neat art book and a 'making of' DVD.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE
Does the uncracked Red Eye Orb from the Darkwraiths function for people who have left that covenant, or do you need to stay in the Darkwraiths in order to invade using it?

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Ryven posted:

So I may have run into a problem.

Does the ninth bug that drop the sunlight maggot respawn if I already may or may not have killed them. Ahhh, who am I kidding I already know the answer to this.

I'm pretty sure the ninth bug always drops the Sunlight Maggot and doesn't respawn when killed, leaving only the eight basic maggots. If you killed it and didn't pick up the Sunlight Maggot, you're probably boned.

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself

Stiggs posted:

Trying to stay lowish level so I can go and help people out with Capra. :shobon:

To be fair, I'm still giving a lot of help at SL40 for people having trouble with that guy.

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself

Rollersnake posted:

Run across the bridge with your shield up. To the right about halfway across are stairs leading down.
Don't forget to Praise the Sun!

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
I beat the stray demon last night :D. That was tough. To bad that i find the magic-blocking shield AFTER i beat him :(.

Anyway, with the footing ring, +4 black leather set and a +5 flame longsword, i should be as ready for blighttown as i can be. I'll try venturing down tonight.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

YorexTheMad posted:

I'm pretty sure the ninth bug always drops the Sunlight Maggot and doesn't respawn when killed, leaving only the eight basic maggots. If you killed it and didn't pick up the Sunlight Maggot, you're probably boned.
Raise your int and cast the light spell then. Or you can rough it on the way in and get the lantern.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Noxville posted:

Does it not come with the US special edition? It did with the UK one along with a neat art book and a 'making of' DVD.

I don't know, I have the regular. If it does I may just buy it again or wait for a sale or something.

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself

Rascyc posted:

Raise your int and cast the light spell then. Or you can rough it on the way in and get the lantern.

My advice is not to rough it. You mess up too easy, and the walk back is such a pain in the rear end, I say put it off until you're geared for that terrible place.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
The glowing things on the ground lead you to the cleric-hater and the lantern, but it's a pain in the rear end since you can't hold the lantern and a shield at the same time and the skeletons hit really goddamn hard. Once you make it to the first bonfire it's not so bad since you don't have to run all the way from the catacombs (although you can basically skip the entire catacombs area with some creative falling once you have the bridges turned).

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Vatek posted:

The glowing things on the ground lead you to the cleric-hater and the lantern, but it's a pain in the rear end since you can't hold the lantern and a shield at the same time and the skeletons hit really goddamn hard. There are a couple of bonfires in there to make the trip less painful, though.

Yeah, but, they have a reduced aggro range. If you walk slow with the lantern you can get them in the outer limit of the light before they attack.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Been doing the O&S fight and it's kind of a pain in the rear end. I've been trying to kill the fatty, but I keep getting side swiped. MIght just Power Within Iron Skin this fight at this rate.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
What's the deal with the Dragonslayer bow? I thought that two-handing lowered the strength requirement, but it's still unable to be used. It has req. 20, and I have 16. Also, can it just fire Dragonslayer arrows?

I'll probably barely use it (well, if I could) because the scaling sucks and Dragonslayer arrows are 500 souls each, which is too pricey for me.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
You can't have power within and iron skin active at the same time, I believe.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

Smelly posted:

Yeah, but, they have a reduced aggro range. If you walk slow with the lantern you can get them in the outer limit of the light before they attack.

Yeah, but you have to switch to a shield to fight them unless you want to get mauled.

Zain posted:

Been doing the O&S fight and it's kind of a pain in the rear end. I've been trying to kill the fatty, but I keep getting side swiped. MIght just Power Within Iron Skin this fight at this rate.

Kill Orstein first unless you really enjoy being randomly oneshotted and having to do the entire fight over again.

hawkbucketz
Sep 2, 2011

Fun!
As someone who just roughed it to the first bonfire in Tomb of Giants, I definitely recommend getting a light source (cast light/sunlight maggot) before trying the area. Also, be aware that you can just drop down relatively close to the catacombs area boss rather than trying to dodge those wheel skeleton guys (well, even while dropping down, you still have to dodge two of them).

The beginning part of the Tomb of Giants was definitely my least favorite part of the game. I feel better about it now that I know that I could have made it less frustrating for myself, but still.

e: after the first bonfire, the area isn't bad at all.

hawkbucketz fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Oct 17, 2011

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
What the gently caress, Blightown?

I found the campfire, I get to the bottom of blight town at the swamp area, I work my way through, and then two big giant guys come at me with stones and one shot me :(

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Elysiume posted:

What's the deal with the Dragonslayer bow? I thought that two-handing lowered the strength requirement, but it's still unable to be used. It has req. 20, and I have 16. Also, can it just fire Dragonslayer arrows?

I'll probably barely use it (well, if I could) because the scaling sucks and Dragonslayer arrows are 500 souls each, which is too pricey for me.

Two-handing doesn't lower the DEX requirement, if you don't match that, or any INT/FAI requirements if that has any.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

I'm finally working my way into the Tomb of the Giants, still traumatized from the last time I was there, and for some reason I'd never noticed before that the Catacombs has thousands of bugs on the floor slowly moving along pathways. That's a pretty awesome detail.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Vatek posted:

Kill Orstein first unless you really enjoy being randomly oneshotted and having to do the entire fight over again.

Well how "good" is his armor? Is it worth the trouble?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
^^: Wait, you get the armor of the first one you kill? I thought it was the armor of the second one you kill.
edit: or is that what you're saying

sentrygun posted:

Two-handing doesn't lower the DEX requirement, if you don't match that, or any INT/FAI requirements if that has any.
I thought I met the Dex, but I'll check when I have DS running next. Does 2-handing reduce the Str requirement by a factor of 1.5?

Is the Silver Knight gear worth using? It doesn't look that great (statwise, appearance wise it rocks), which is a shame. The shield is underwhelming and requires TT, which takes it from average to worthless. The straight sword would be amazing if, like the shield, it didn't take TT (and could therefore go past +5). Is it even worth equipping it?

Also, biggest payoff for strength focus: Havel's shield. 84 stability at +0, goddamn.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Pope Mobile posted:

It took me a bit to get into this game, but holy poo poo I'm loving it. I wasn't a fan of the halbred in Demons Souls but am loving it here.

Yeah everyone in the thread rags on the Halberd because its thrust weapon that you can't use from behind your shield but it's range is possibly one of the best in the game, it's heavy enough to stagger foes, and the counter parry from a shield block is powerful with it. As long as you have some poise to make sure your hit always lands, its a great weapon.

There is more methodical block>parry combat with a halberd then say just stabbing wildly from behind your shield as if you miss with the halberd you're the one that staggers, but once you nail the timing, you are a machine. O&S went down easy peasy because they could not match up to the range of my fire halberd. Honestly I felt a little guilty how easy it was considering all the trouble they gave other players.

That and it has a wicked sick swing attack with R2. There is something immensely satisfying from swinging a fire halberd in a 360 arc while surround by a half a dozen mobs and watching them just all burst into flames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Zain posted:

Iron Flesh is likely to get you killed even faster in that fight, at least that was my experience.

• Locked thread