Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
Ok, I give up. What exactly causes the gate blocking Izalith from the Demon's ruins to open? (you know that big orange one down the stairs) I don't feel like grinding for Humanity to buy the shortcut and I haven't killed two hundred Capra and Taurus Demons for my goddamn health. (although I do feel healthier now)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bitch Twinkles
Nov 5, 2007

HAVE COURAGE PLAY ST MODE

Capsaicin posted:

What the gently caress, Blightown?

I found the campfire, I get to the bottom of blight town at the swamp area, I work my way through, and then two big giant guys come at me with stones and one shot me :(

first time I saw one of them, I was like "the gently caress is this?" and I turned around, the first boulder hits me from behind and floors me, I get up to stare at a second before dying

dark souls nigggguuhhhhhh

to the dude above, it opens after a story event, keep on going

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Vatek posted:

Yeah, but you have to switch to a shield to fight them unless you want to get mauled.

Well yeah, but you can get them in the light radius and then switch to your shield, step forward and then they'll attack.

I went through the entire area with just the latern and it wasn't that difficult. Just annoying. v:shobon:v

Underwhelmed posted:

Ok, I give up. What exactly causes the gate blocking Izalith from the Demon's ruins to open? (you know that big orange one down the stairs) I don't feel like grinding for Humanity to buy the shortcut and I haven't killed two hundred Capra and Taurus Demons for my goddamn health. (although I do feel healthier now)

You need to Put the Lord Vessel on the pedestal by either talking to Frampt or Kaathe.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bitch Twinkles posted:

first time I saw one of them, I was like "the gently caress is this?" and I turned around, the first boulder hits me from behind and floors me, I get up to stare at a second before dying

dark souls nigggguuhhhhhh

I thought they were statues at first, and approached cautiously, knowing that even statues in Dark Souls hate you and want you to die. It still didn't stop me from getting the poo poo scared out of me when that boulder smacked my shield.

Bitch Twinkles
Nov 5, 2007

Smelly posted:

I went through the entire area with just the latern and it wasn't that difficult. Just annoying. v:shobon:v

same, the most annoying thing though was that my lockon for spells would drop as the lantern arm goes down and the casting arm comes up. those loving dog skeletons hit hard even with baller armor on

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Drox posted:

I thought they were statues at first, and approached cautiously, knowing that even statues in Dark Souls hate you and want you to die. It still didn't stop me from getting the poo poo scared out of me when that boulder smacked my shield.
I was fighting one, and he put his rock on the ground. I was like "oh, okay, he's taking a breather." And then he steamrolled the poo poo out of me.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Elysiume posted:

^^: Wait, you get the armor of the first one you kill? I thought it was the armor of the second one you kill.
edit: or is that what you're saying
I thought I met the Dex, but I'll check when I have DS running next. Does 2-handing reduce the Str requirement by a factor of 1.5?

Another possibility is that two-handing bows doesn't grant a STR req reduction because bows can't be used one handed.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

Hamburger Test posted:

Iron Flesh is likely to get you killed even faster in that fight, at least that was my experience.

Iron Flesh tanks your lightning resist into the shitter and Ornstein does heavy lightning damage.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Elysiume posted:

^^: Wait, you get the armor of the first one you kill? I thought it was the armor of the second one you kill.
edit: or is that what you're saying

Yeah they say if you kill Ornstein last you get his armor.

GaistHeidegger posted:

Iron Flesh tanks your lightning resist into the shitter and Ornstein does heavy lightning damage.

Ah didn't know that. Thank you

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
Not worth it.

EK or Havel's are pretty much the best heavy armors. I have a fondness for the black armor set, but it takes TT to upgrade so it's nowhere near as viable.

Bitch Twinkles
Nov 5, 2007

Zain posted:

Yeah they say if you kill Ornstein last you get his armor.

weird thing, that merchant who was at the entrance to blighttown via depth? the onewith the crystal weaponry and a set of armor? I went to the spot he moved to after buying all he had earlier with intentions of murder. Found that he now sells the Ornstein set and a golem set. His life was spared.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

YorexTheMad posted:

Does the uncracked Red Eye Orb from the Darkwraiths function for people who have left that covenant, or do you need to stay in the Darkwraiths in order to invade using it?

You do need to be in the covenant to use it.

Does anyone know if the Blue Eye Orb works the same way? Ideally I could get the Blue Eye Orb and then join Darkwraith and use both

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Vatek posted:

Not worth it.

EK or Havel's are pretty much the best heavy armors. I have a fondness for the black armor set, but it takes TT to upgrade so it's nowhere near as viable.

How are either of those better than Smough's heavy armor set?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Vatek posted:

Not worth it.

Was this a response to me?

What's the best medium weight armor if I still want to roll around and stuff?

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

sentrygun posted:

Another possibility is that two-handing bows doesn't grant a STR req reduction because bows can't be used one handed.

You can however dual-wield crossbows. :shepface:

e: someone needs to beat the game with no shield, dual-wielding Ultra Greatswords

vvv if you continue with the plot he will eventually go Hollow if you can't save him in Lost Izalith. The only real reward for saving him though is that you can summon him to help you on the last boss.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

dvorak posted:

Or you could smoke his rear end and take his sick armor, which is what I did. The stone will be on his corpse.

I was looking at the Futurepress guide. Solaire's armor and weapon looks statistically amazing. Besides straight up killing him in cold blood, is there another way to get his gear -- e.g. summoning him into a boss fight and letting him die?

Also, if I kill him, what type of repercussions should I expect (besides not being able to summon him to fight bosses)? e.g. Will I not be able to join his Covenant after murdering him? Will other NPCs aggro me, etc.?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Ixjuvin posted:

You can however dual-wield crossbows. :shepface:

e: someone needs to beat the game with no shield, dual-wielding Ultra Greatswords

From Software hates crossbows. Why can't I free aim one of them?!!

DarkArchimedes
Feb 26, 2008
Kubla Dong

Underwhelmed posted:

There's only one shortcut, and it only opens if you're at +2 with the Chaos Covenant. If you're not, you have to go through the fog gate and fight a couple of bosses to get to Izalith.

If you can't get through to the bosses that are blocking Izalith, then you're down there too early and need to go through Sen's Fortress and Anor Londo.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Elysiume posted:

Was this a response to me?

Honestly? If you want the best stat/weight ratio and don't mind mixing and matching and looking silly?

Black Iron Helm
Elite Knight Armor
Hard Leather Gloves
Antiquated Skirt

All fully upgraded.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

seabas posted:

I was looking at the Futurepress guide. Solaire's armor and weapon looks statistically amazing. Besides straight up killing him in cold blood, is there another way to get his gear -- e.g. summoning him into a boss fight and letting him die?

Also, if I kill him, what type of repercussions should I expect (besides not being able to summon him to fight bosses)? e.g. Will I not be able to join his Covenant after murdering him? Will other NPCs aggro me, etc.?
Summoning him will do nothing even if he dies.

I'm pretty sure there are no negative repercussions but not entirely sure as Solaire is my bro (p.s. you are a terrible person).

qbert posted:

Black Iron Helm
Elite Knight Armor
Hard Leather Gloves
Antiquated Skirt

All fully upgraded.
I'm actually already using Elite Knight Armor and Hard Leather Gloves because I'd found they were BIS for their weight. I haven't found the Antiquated skirt (where is it) and honestly probably won't use the Black Iron Helm because it's ugly. I appreciate this, though, and it has given me a thing to track down.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Okay, where am I supposed to go once I'm in Blighttown? I'm at the swamp at the bottom. :confused:

Also, should I have met any other covenants by now aside from the one at the Firelink? Way of the White?

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008

qbert posted:

Honestly? If you want the best stat/weight ratio and don't mind mixing and matching and looking silly?

Black Iron Helm
Elite Knight Armor
Hard Leather Gloves
Antiquated Skirt

All fully upgraded.

Aren't the gold-hemmed black robes better than those?(edit - atleast the knight armor and glove. I dont have the helm and skirt.)

Also, just got back to firelink after ringing the second bell and holy poo poo what the hell is that thing coming out of the ground kill it KILL IT.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Elysiume posted:

I'm actually already using Elite Knight Armor and Hard Leather Gloves because I'd found they were BIS for their weight. I haven't found the Antiquated skirt (where is it) and honestly probably won't use the Black Iron Helm because it's ugly. I appreciate this, though, and it has given me a thing to track down.

To get Antiquated Skirt After killing the Hydra in Darkroot Basin, leave the area or reload. Go behind where it died to the back of the lake and you'll find a gold crystal golem. Kill it to reveal a merchant who will disappear. Leave or reload again and become human and use a summon sign by a rock on the lakeshore to summon her and have her sell you stuff. Leave and reload AGAIN and finally go back to where you killed the golem and her armor set will appear there.

Although if you aren't willing to wear the helm because of its ugliness, there's a good chance you won't wear a lady's dress either.

Macksy posted:

Aren't the gold-hemmed black robes better than those?(edit - atleast the knight armor and glove. I dont have the helm and skirt.)

Perhaps in the various magic/elemental defense it is, slightly, but on pure defense, nope. And I have specialized armor for when I need elemental defenses anyways.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

qbert posted:

To get Antiquated Skirt After killing the Hydra in Darkroot Basin, leave the area or reload. Go behind where it died to the back of the lake and you'll find a gold crystal golem. Kill it to reveal a merchant who will disappear. Leave or reload again and become human and use a summon sign by a rock on the lakeshore to summon her and have her sell you stuff. Leave and reload AGAIN and finally go back to where you killed the golem and her armor set will appear there.

Although if you aren't willing to wear the helm because of its ugliness, there's a good chance you won't wear a lady's dress either.
I'm actually playing a female character, because my first one was male and I wanted to see if there were differences (I noticed none), so I don't care about wearing a dress. That sounds like a hell of a lot of reloading. When you say "leave" do you mean just S&Q or actually leaving the zone then S&Q?

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Macksy posted:

Also, just got back to firelink after ringing the second bell and holy poo poo what the hell is that thing coming out of the ground kill it KILL IT.

The problem is that you can't upgrade the robes.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Is there anything good in the way of lighter armour, like the stuff the thief or wanderer (I assume) start with?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Macksy posted:

Un-upgraded maybe, but gold-hemmed cannot be upgraded while other pieces can be upgraded to surpass them in armor values (I dunno about resistances though).

Capsaicin posted:

Okay, where am I supposed to go once I'm in Blighttown? I'm at the swamp at the bottom. :confused:

Also, should I have met any other covenants by now aside from the one at the Firelink? Way of the White?
Your "goal" is to get behind those dudes with the boulder and make your way into the nest. That being said, there is a bonfire on the swamp level that you should be using. Just look for a green glow around the perimeter of the swamps (stay away from the giants though) and you'll find it. If you look toward the nest from the area you descended, it should be on the right side.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Elysiume posted:

I'm actually playing a female character, because my first one was male and I wanted to see if there were differences (I noticed none), so I don't care about wearing a dress. That sounds like a hell of a lot of reloading. When you say "leave" do you mean just S&Q or actually leaving the zone then S&Q?

I mean leave the zone but actually saving and quitting is faster and more consistent I've found.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

qbert posted:

On the one hand, it bugs me how FAQ-dependent this game is (I mean - really? How on earth would you just stumble across that?), but... on the other, it's so freaking awesome this game has honest to god secrets.

The last time I did this much "wait, ok, so, I have to go here, and to Y, and then X will appear, and so that'll -" was Majora's Mask. And, much like there, figuring out the secrets while avoiding the spoiler landmines is really drat difficult.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

qbert posted:

How are either of those better than Smough's heavy armor set?

Forgot about Smough's, but it's not readily available depending on the order you killed S&O in.

EK is the best set that still uses common upgrade materials except for the gloves, which can be swapped out for leather. Every other heavy set I've found uses TT.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008

qbert posted:

Perhaps in the various magic/elemental defense it is, slightly, but on pure defense, nope. And I have specialized armor for when I need elemental defenses anyways.
Could have sworn they give better defence, but maybe that's cause I never upgrade armor(edit - yup), then again unless it's an area that woops my rear end I wear what looks most badass. Elite helm, crimson robe, crimson gloves, and elite knight boots 4 lyfe*gets one hit killed*

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Elysiume posted:

Endurance is probably the most powerful stat at the moment if you are doing any sort of weapon fighting, so I would suggest just getting some endurance and wearing heavier armor anyway. There is more to armor than just defense. The poise/weight ratio gets better the heavier the armor gets, and there is no reason you can't roll well in heavy armor. With the 39 endurance, +20% health/weight/stam ring, the wood grain ring, and the mask of the father, I am doing cartwheels and poo poo in Smeough's chest, gauntlets, and boots. Not to mention I have an assload of stamina with the endurance plus the ring.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Vatek posted:

Forgot about Smough's, but it's not readily available depending on the order you killed S&O in.

EK is the best set that still uses common upgrade materials except for the gloves, which can be swapped out for leather. Every other heavy set I've found uses TT.

EK armor is pretty awesome (I use the armor on my own guy), but Smough's set is not upgradable and STILL has the highest defense stats in the game. Also lighter than a lot of other heavy armor sets in total weight. So you don't even have to worry about upgrading.

Which is why it always surprises me that so many people try to go for Ornstein's armor/weapon drop when neither are really worth getting in the overall scheme of things.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Shalinor posted:

On the one hand, it bugs me how FAQ-dependent this game is (I mean - really? How on earth would you just stumble across that?), but... on the other, it's so freaking awesome this game has honest to god secrets.

The last time I did this much "wait, ok, so, I have to go here, and to Y, and then X will appear, and so that'll -" was Majora's Mask. And, much like there, figuring out the secrets while avoiding the spoiler landmines is really drat difficult.

If you run back and forth in the shallow water on the shores of Ash Lake a hydra with glitched textures will appear. If you kill it the use-item in your third slot will be multiplied by 256 :haw:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Probably already posted since this thread gets a million replies a day, but http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9ymysN3qQ8 :wtc:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Shalinor posted:

All the special item sets kind of have a running theme going as to their locations. Once people become hollow/ghosts, their armor set tends to drop in a somewhat logical location. This is probably the one that's not as logical but there was no where else to put her I imagine.

The real rub is that the items tend to not spawn until you reload the area.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Ixjuvin posted:

If you run back and forth in the shallow water on the shores of Ash Lake a hydra with glitched textures will appear. If you kill it the use-item in your third slot will be multiplied by 256 :haw:

I love you for this.

If you use Force on the third rock from the left in blight town it'll move and a rare spell is inside! :v:

The only other way to get this is if you have a developer unlock it for you!

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

qbert posted:

You don't need to be in human form to summon her.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Speaking of hollows. Oswald - What the hell was Oswald's deal? Was he so mad about Frapt's smell that he decided to go to New Londo to find the other serpent? Is this supposed to be the tip off that there's an alternate route to take? Also has anyone gotten any special loot off this one? He never drops anything for me, which is disappointing. Not even humanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sizerp
Dec 3, 2003
t3h pwn
I assume this has already been posted, but hell why not double post this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=x9ymysN3qQ8

90 minute speed run

• Locked thread