Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

qbert posted:

EK armor is pretty awesome (I use the armor on my own guy), but Smough's set is not upgradable and STILL has the highest defense stats in the game. Also lighter than a lot of other heavy armor sets in total weight. So you don't even have to worry about upgrading.

Which is why it always surprises me that so many people try to go for Ornstein's armor/weapon drop when neither are really worth getting in the overall scheme of things.

I think they managed to make the Smough armor look exactly so ridiculous I don't really want to wear it. Gold Hemmed is pretty close, but there are few super light armors that are close to that good. Fully upgraded Pyro set might get close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
I am so loving sick of running back to O&S's room to fight them and die from some lame attack. It is *get hit by O and when you get up S will finish you off with an attack that will take away 3/4 of your health.

Zain fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 17, 2011

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

actionjackson posted:

Probably already posted since this thread gets a million replies a day, but http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9ymysN3qQ8 :wtc:

:aaaaa:

Well now at least I know how to easily get the dragon down from atop the bridge :haw:

They way that guy perfectly leaps the flaming barrel trap is nothing short of incredible

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

sizerp posted:

I assume this has already been posted, but hell why not double post this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=x9ymysN3qQ8

90 minute speed run
I like how he hacks off the drake's tail in two shots with a lightning-resined axe.

Of course, he is playing the starting class of champions, pyromancer. Watching the second video now, and he is putting a lot of souls into his flame after killing ceaseless discharge.

Edit: Ha, he aggros Andre into the titanite demon to get the crest. Funny.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 17, 2011

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
My goodness. My guide arrived and it is absolutely amazing. I'm totally blown away by how comprehensive it is, and just the general quality and presentation of it. Also bitterly disappointed at my discovery that there is only one weapon that A scales with Strength and it's a bloody Great Hammer. BOO!

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

Ixjuvin posted:

:aaaaa:

Well now at least I know how to easily get the dragon down from atop the bridge :haw:

They way that guy perfectly leaps the flaming barrel trap is nothing short of incredible

Watch him fight Sif and be amazed at his roll-fu.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I love Dusk. :3: Her summon sign no longer appears for me. :( She was still around for a while even after I bought all of her spells. I didn't know about her armor drop though, that's cool. I will def pick that up before I finish this game.

Skunk Ape
Mar 16, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

RedTonic posted:

I love Dusk. :3: Her summon sign no longer appears for me. :( She was still around for a while even after I bought all of her spells. I didn't know about her armor drop though, that's cool. I will def pick that up before I finish this game.

She disappeared for me before too, but I left to turn human and the sign was back again, so I dunno if you have to be human or if leaving the area just reset it.

freeb0rn
Jan 22, 2005

Filthy Monkey posted:

I like how he hacks off the drake's tail in two shots with a lightning-resined axe.

Of course, he is playing the starting class of champions, pyromancer. Watching the second video now, and he is putting a lot of souls into his flame after killing ceaseless discharge.

Edit: Ha, he aggros Andre into the titanite demon to get the crest. Funny.

Is it really that easy to lop the tail off 2 hits with the axe+resin? I didn't notice him cast any pyro buffs/spells... Do enemies get HP boosts relative to your SL?

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself
So I needed to get to the statue under the drake to join the Sunlight Covenant, and the drake finally stayed from that spot the black knight used to be in. I got all excited, shot him once in wing. He screamed and took off flying. Not flying in a normal way, but in a glitchy space flight way.

No souls either.

Praise the Sun!

edit - about about 5 minutes after posting I got my 10k. Hurray?

invalid fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 17, 2011

God Damn Dam God
Dec 24, 2004

I push buttons. I turn dials. I read numbers. Sometimes I make up little stories in my head about what the numbers mean.
Grimey Drawer

Stiggs posted:

Trying to stay lowish level so I can go and help people out with Capra. :shobon:

Just gotta keep trying! I can get O down pretty easily (Great Combustion three shots him!), I'm just having trouble not getting hit a single time while whittling away at S.

Smough is weak to lightning. Take that lightning spear for sen's fortress and poke him a bunch. Try to keep Smough inbetween you and Orenstein. Then when Orenstein goes Super Sayan you can cheese him with a broken pillar. It will block all the lightning shots. If you are patient you can wait until Orenstein does his butt slam, then dash in and whack him and got back to hiding behind a pillar.

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

Where do people usually put down summons for the Four Kings? Is 63 about right to be summoned for that?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Toiwat posted:

Where do people usually put down summons for the Four Kings? Is 63 about right to be summoned for that?
Man, I wish I knew. That was by far the hardest boss for me to find help in fighting, in the end I had to do it myself.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
Welp, got invaded earlier by a guy with a flame hatchet (not sure if it was chaos) that killed me in ~3 hits, was throwing poison daggers, pyromancy spells and the anti-Estus thing all over the place. When I hit him I did 7 damage and his health bar didn't move. This was with a new character who was at SL 10 and I hadn't even gotten to the blacksmith yet. It still took him like 10 minutes to kill me.

Other than PvP being horrible broken, I'm enjoying the game, though.

nauggins
Jun 26, 2009

it's big money postin' baby boy
Just made it through Sen's Fortress, gently caress yeah. I had to summon a MRxSODOMY to help with the boss. If you're reading this, MRxSODOMY, you're a champ.

I'm having trouble lately, though. I do gently caress all for damage. The snake dudes in the Fortress? Yeah I smack those haters for like 34 damage with the Drake Sword. I'm in a mix of Stone/Eastern armors with a Hollow Soldier Shield +5, so I can take hits pretty well, I just can't hurt anything. I'm like SL 44, STR 25. I know there are better options out there, but I don't have anything that looks better stats-wise (besides the Black Knight Sword, but I would need to pump 6 more points in DEX just to be able to wield it.) I pumped STR to 25 to try out the Zweihander and Butcher Knife, but when I swing them, I end up doing this dumb stumbly thing at the end of the swing and the Drake Sword still seems to hit harder.

gently caress imma do, ya'll?

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
Get the lightning spear in Sen's fortress, the Drake Sword is really only useful up to Quelaag. Zweihander's not going to outdamage a drake sword unless you upgrade it.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

nauggins posted:

Just made it through Sen's Fortress, gently caress yeah. I had to summon a MRxSODOMY to help with the boss. If you're reading this, MRxSODOMY, you're a champ.

I'm having trouble lately, though. I do gently caress all for damage. The snake dudes in the Fortress? Yeah I smack those haters for like 34 damage with the Drake Sword. I'm in a mix of Stone/Eastern armors with a Hollow Soldier Shield +5, so I can take hits pretty well, I just can't hurt anything. I'm like SL 44, STR 25. I know there are better options out there, but I don't have anything that looks better stats-wise (besides the Black Knight Sword, but I would need to pump 6 more points in DEX just to be able to wield it.) I pumped STR to 25 to try out the Zweihander and Butcher Knife, but when I swing them, I end up doing this dumb stumbly thing at the end of the swing and the Drake Sword still seems to hit harder.

You stumble because you didn't hit anything. A lot of heavier (and stronger) weapons have built in stumble to punish missing.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
When I first started my guy I was going for strength focussed for maximum melee fun. Now in my NG+ I've finally gotten both my Str and End to 40. Early in the game I pumped Resistance to 20 because I needed some more defence, and I've also put Dex to 13 to meet some weapon stats and Attunement to 10 so I could have a single pyromancy on me. I'm kind of at a loss for what to do with my stats now. Vitality is somewhere around 30, but I can't see much point in putting it much higher, but I'll push it up to 40 if there's nothing else useful to bother with.

Any thoughts?

Urgan
Apr 5, 2004

I'm glad I'm not backwards
Am I doing something wrong/missing a lot of stuff if I'm still wearing my starting armor (Knight), and using a broadsword? The only piece of equipment I've found is the Knight Shield. To give you an idea where I'm at in the game, I'm fighting the gargoyles and find it impossible.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

Leyburn posted:

When I first started my guy I was going for strength focussed for maximum melee fun. Now in my NG+ I've finally gotten both my Str and End to 40. Early in the game I pumped Resistance to 20 because I needed some more defence, and I've also put Dex to 13 to meet some weapon stats and Attunement to 10 so I could have a single pyromancy on me. I'm kind of at a loss for what to do with my stats now. Vitality is somewhere around 30, but I can't see much point in putting it much higher, but I'll push it up to 40 if there's nothing else useful to bother with.

Any thoughts?

Start dumping the rest of your points in vitality and resistance. You can never really go wrong with more HP or defense.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

nauggins posted:

I'm in the same situation as you. I got to Sen's last night, waltzed in and got pimp-slapped by those snakemen.

That said, remember this: The drake sword isn't working, so shelf that thing and think of an alternate strategy. I'm going to try different weapons that DON'T cause slashing damage since the drake's sword sucks vs them, perhaps they have a weakness there, if I get desperate I'm going to blow all my green titanite to make a divine weapon or something like that. Been thinking about this all morning.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
Lightning spear. The answer is always lightning spear.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Leyburn posted:

Any thoughts?

Two more Attunement will give you another pyro slot, if that is your thing.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Remember in Sen's Fortress to use the traps against the enemies there as well. You can do a bunch of damage to the first two snakes with the first trap, knock the third snake off the ledge with the swinging pendulums, kill the first caster snake up top with another arrow trap, and kill the next sword snake inside with another arrow trap.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Divine isn't really all that currently, and I believe it scales to Faith (I may be wrong on this one). You get a lightning spear from a mimic chest in Sen's Fortress. It will serve you very well against the snake-men. I'd recommend spending your current souls and then making a suicide run to get that. It's on the way to the top anyway, so it's hard to miss. I've been upgrading that spear religiously (+5 now, booya!) and it's extremely useful for my sorcerer build (based off Pyro starting class).

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
My starting Battle Axe never left my side for the entire game. A good way into my NG+ and it's still with me in Lightening + 5 form. I tried other weapons, but nothing held a candle to my trusty axe.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Vatek posted:

Until its time to fight skeletons and you will be like "curse you, lightning spear!"

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Completed the game, final boss fight was an awesome fight and tense and had nice music :) Don't know what the hell happened in the ending but whatever, I'm not here for the story. Now to replay as a different class I guess :black101:

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

Samurai Sanders posted:

Until its time to fight skeletons and you will be like "curse you, lightning spear!"

Yeah, but by then you should be able upgrade pretty much anything you want into a divine weapon for the catacombs.

I cleared it with a divine spear. I really like spears in this game. :haw:

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

mikeraskol posted:

Remember in Sen's Fortress to use the traps against the enemies there as well. You can do a bunch of damage to the first two snakes with the first trap, knock the third snake off the ledge with the swinging pendulums, kill the first caster snake up top with another arrow trap, and kill the next sword snake inside with another arrow trap.

Sen's Fortress is one of my favorite areas just because of how laden with traps it is.

I feel that the rest of the game didn't have enough poo poo in the enviroment that could kill you.

Ledges don't count. :colbert:

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Man, I wish I knew. That was by far the hardest boss for me to find help in fighting, in the end I had to do it myself.

I actually managed summoned someone on that boss-fight who did a bad fall down the spiral stairwell into the abyss, and killed themselves through fall damage on the way down. :doh:

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

Filthy Monkey posted:

Really though, you should probably have a fire weapon and a lightning weapon anyway. There are major bosses resistant to each. Fire takes the less in demand red chunks/slabs, so you don't really have any excuse not to make one. I don't feel like getting to zweihander strength at the moment, so I am using a lightning claymore and a fire halberd. Works well.

Is this true? I heard that fire stuff is buried in Lost Izalith (i burned the only 2 on a Falchion of all things ughh).

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Leyburn posted:

My starting Battle Axe never left my side for the entire game. A good way into my NG+ and it's still with me in Lightening + 5 form. I tried other weapons, but nothing held a candle to my trusty axe.
This has been me, except my claymore (and it's only +2 lightning right now). I love how versatile it is. Side-to-side sweeps single handed, vertical two handed. A great forward stab one handed, followed by a vertical sweep. The strong 2-handed I never use, though.

I wish that I had a cooler looking shield. Crystal Ring is neat but worthless for blocking. Eagle shield is so drab, and Hollow Soldier is scratched, grey, and dull. Silver Knight shield looks awesome but sucks. :(

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Smelly posted:

Sen's Fortress is one of my favorite areas just because of how laden with traps it is.

Sen's Fortress was one my my favourite areas too, mainly because as you inch way through each time you feel that you're progressing and learning and by the time you reach the roof for the first time, you'll be able to get back up there with no issues every subsequent time. That's what Dark Souls is all about. Slowly learning an area until you've mastered it.

I hated Tomb Of The Giants at first, but after an equipment upgrade (mainly getting a really, really good shield) it also became one of my favourite areas.

nauggins
Jun 26, 2009

it's big money postin' baby boy
Vatek: Yeah, I meant to grab that Lightning Spear, but the Mimic snatched me up and just ate me, so I said gently caress it. Now that I've killed the boss and opened the shortcut, I'm definitely gonna head back to grab it.

ElysiumeThe stumble thing makes sense, thanks. I thought maybe my stats were somehow deficient.

I really want to use this Black Knight sword, but I think it takes Twinkling Titanite to upgrade (I have like two pieces I think.) Would I be better off upgrading something else, or would this thing be as baller as I'm imagining? I just felt so smug after that jerk dropped his sword for me.

e:

Smelly posted:

I think it might be my #1 favorite area so far. It was really satisfying to figure out how to get through. I never once got angry at the game when I died yes I did because every death was caused by a mistake or just me being sloppy.

nauggins fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 17, 2011

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Leyburn posted:

My goodness. My guide arrived and it is absolutely amazing. I'm totally blown away by how comprehensive it is, and just the general quality and presentation of it. Also bitterly disappointed at my discovery that there is only one weapon that A scales with Strength and it's a bloody Great Hammer. BOO!

The normal club scales with strength with an A.

Also the one thing the guide is missing is a good explanation of what divine/occult/chaos actually does. It mentions divine kills skeletons permanently. It doesn't mention chaos scales with humanity at all and it doesn't say what the gently caress occult damage is good for.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Okay, where's the bonfire in the swamp in blight town? I got to what I thought it would be, but I took a water wheel up to a place where I got blowgunned to death :(

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

Spite posted:

The normal club scales with strength with an A.

Also the one thing the guide is missing is a good explanation of what divine/occult/chaos actually does. It mentions divine kills skeletons permanently. It doesn't mention chaos scales with humanity at all and it doesn't say what the gently caress occult damage is good for.

It would probably be a decent interim weapon post-Drake Sword but you definitely want to get a lightning or fire weapon as soon as possible.

Capsaicin posted:

Okay, where's the bonfire in the swamp in blight town? I got to what I thought it would be, but I took a water wheel up to a place where I got blowgunned to death :(

It's at the very bottom between the waterwheel and the other scaffolding area.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Capsaicin posted:

It should've been in a tunnel on your right midway between where you come down to where the waterwheel is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Vatek posted:

Isn't that found inside Sen's Fortress?? I can't get through the front door :(

• Locked thread