Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Monday's update is going to be a splash page of Bud's giant etheric form, and it will be wonderful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Haha I suppose that would be similar (it seems to translate literally as Ranger Town, I'd never come across the word wellyn before!), but it's still an odd name for a person to have. Welsh names are usually patrimonial, either along the lines Ap Dafydd, Ap Grufydd, etc or Edwards, Thomas, Davies, etc. I don't think I've ever come across a place name type surname in Welsh.

It makes sense if you view it as a name that the family has had for ages now. In just about every culture, there is a point where the lower classes went from not having last names to having them. The most common names to adopt were patronymics (Ericsson, Johnson), profession (Carpenter, Cooper, Smith), or place of residence. This is why some of the most common family names in Japan literally translate to "foot of the mountain" or "middle of the rice paddy".

In other words, I'd view it less as the family being Welsh and having a Welsh name than as the family having lived in Wales hundreds of years ago and adopting the name of their town as a surname at some point.

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne

Kismet posted:

Tom is a known fan of folk singer Kate Rusby, whose performances include songs called Sir Eglamore, Annan Waters, Awkward Annie, Matt Hyland and Maid of Llanwellyn.

The more you know!

Though Gunnerkrigg Court predates Awkward Annie by quite a long time.

Also, finishing a surname in 'ton' isn't weird at all. Middleton? I also know a Kingston and Ashton. For 'ham', Cunningham is pretty popular. Sure, Llanwellyn isn't a real surname, but it isn't too far removed from reality.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Awkward Annie is actually a song. Incredible.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

also Llanwellyn is a really weird surname seeing as the Welsh prefix Llan is basically like the english suffix -ham or -ton.

You forget the part where Welsh is the language of insanity.

So who's Bud talking to? His wife? Jones? Eglamore?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Noonsaliwah posted:

Also, finishing a surname in 'ton' isn't weird at all. Middleton? I also know a Kingston and Ashton. For 'ham', Cunningham is pretty popular. Sure, Llanwellyn isn't a real surname, but it isn't too far removed from reality.

My point was that whereas in English culture surnames based on a location are pretty normal in Welsh culture they aren't at all, to the extent that I found the idea of someone being called Llanwellyn really weird. That said Nipponophile's idea of them being a non-Welsh family who have taken on a Welsh place name as their surname is satisfying enough to assuage my sperg-nationalism.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Bud's the kind of Cool Teacher (or faculty member) who'd say "Listen, you know I wouldn't run you in for smoking up here, but the headmaster's in the building and if he catches you, you are in for a world of trouble. So you might want to consider putting those out and moving along."

But in a regional accent I won't try to attempt.

Bottom line is, Bud's all right.

Amdis
Jan 9, 2007

I randomly found out about this comic today and marathoned it through a bad flu day, this owns.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
Bud's etheric form is a lobster with a lot fewer legs than a lobster.

Fun fact: Tom absolutely doesn't care about the biological accuracy of his creatures' body plan. And that's fine.

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

Reynard's etheric form is a fox, when we all know he is actually a stuffed animal.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Howard Beale posted:

Bud's the kind of Cool Teacher (or faculty member) who'd say "Listen, you know I wouldn't run you in for smoking up here, but the headmaster's in the building and if he catches you, you are in for a world of trouble. So you might want to consider putting those out and moving along."

But in a regional accent I won't try to attempt.

Bottom line is, Bud's all right.

So basically he's Ryan in Bad Machinery.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

To make a mention of a topic back on the last page, the Maid of Llanwellyn makes pretty good background music for Janet's version of how she and Winsbury hooked up.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Cyphoderus posted:

Fun fact: Tom absolutely doesn't care about the biological accuracy of his creatures' body plan. And that's fine.

I'm not entirely sure that ætheric creatures necessarily have something that could be described as a "body plan".

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

Cyphoderus posted:

How many legs do you think a lobster has?

Bud isn't a lobster though.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Tea-san posted:

How many legs do you think a lobster has?

Ten, and Bud appears to have eight, but I'd hardly call the difference of two "a lot fewer."

quote:

Bud isn't a lobster though.

That much should be abundantly clear to anyone who is at all familiar with lobsters. He looks more like a half-crab half-lobster half-soulless-abomination-out-of-time-and-space-that-man-was-not-meant-to-know.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DontMockMySmock posted:

That much should be abundantly clear to anyone who is at all familiar with lobsters. He looks more like a half-crab half-lobster half-soulless-abomination-out-of-time-and-space-that-man-was-not-meant-to-know.

Also, in that third panel? Wee bit SeaQuest.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

DontMockMySmock posted:

Ten, and Bud appears to have eight, but I'd hardly call the difference of two "a lot fewer."
I count ten but this is a silly conversation v:)v

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

The ten legs a lobster has include the two large front claws, which Bud also has. Add to that the two swimming legs (which are not the same as a lobster's swimmerets), and Bud has 12 legs. I based Bud's species more on eurypterids and merostomata than crustaceans (though he clearly has a crab face, because those are cuter).

Lindsey, though, she has a crap ton of legs, but we'll never really see her whole body. She's meant to be kind of scary looking, so her design was less conservative than Bud's.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tea-san posted:

Word of God

Welp, there ya go. Back to Eglamore and Jones memes. Or Boxbot. But nobody wants to talk about Boxbot :commissar:

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Tollymain posted:

Or Boxbot. But nobody wants to talk about Boxbot :commissar:

It is lonely at the top.

I give 2:1 odds next page we get bud saying "Get to sleep, annie". No foolin that psychic crab. :colbert:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Kismet posted:

Tom is a known fan of folk singer Kate Rusby, whose performances include songs called Sir Eglamore, Annan Waters, Awkward Annie, Matt Hyland and Maid of Llanwellyn.

The more you know!

This was fairly amusing to know. And Awkward Annie came after GC? The cover is a redheaded little girl fishing stars under the moon. Who's making homages now :v:

She's a good singer, too.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Tollymain posted:

Welp, there ya go. Back to Eglamore and Jones memes.

So wait, Jones is a lobster? That guy with ten legs, is that Eglamore? I'm so confused :confused:

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

Tea-san posted:

The ten legs a lobster has include the two large front claws, which Bud also has. Add to that the two swimming legs (which are not the same as a lobster's swimmerets), and Bud has 12 legs. I based Bud's species more on eurypterids and merostomata than crustaceans (though he clearly has a crab face, because those are cuter).

Lindsey, though, she has a crap ton of legs, but we'll never really see her whole body. She's meant to be kind of scary looking, so her design was less conservative than Bud's.

:stare:

If there was one thing missing for me to really appreciate this comic, it was the knowledge that the author does biological research. That's incredible, thank you.

I was pretty heavily sleep deprived when I made that first post. Lobsters are indeed part of a group called Decapoda and have 10 legs. What I felt was missing was actually the bunch of other conspicuous appendices that don't show too much in Bud because he's got a crab head.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Where we're going, we wont need eyes to see. :gonk:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh my god Monday's update. :catstare: That last panel is a thing of beauty.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
No one ever said this spirit plane stuff was easy. You can see some horrible stuff there.

I like both of Annie's facial expressions, nice touch.

Puukko naamassa
Mar 25, 2010

Oh No! Bruno!
Lipstick Apathy
Now that's how you end a chapter. :allears:

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Hahahahahaaa, oh gently caress, I'm dying at that last panel.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Tom, you're a magnificent madman with an attention to detail which should earn you a medal or something. (Nice research notes.) This is hilarious.

Poor Annie.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I really should stop reading the Deegan and CAD threads, this is all the comic I need. :3:

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
I wonder what it's like to puke into the ether

I sure am glad that last week I thought to myself "hey, I remember liking that weird Gunnersomething Court comic. Wonder what it's been been up to the past few years?" This junk has gotten really good.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh wow. Good job Tea-san, you made me chuckle out loud. I want to make a wallpaper or something out of the last three panels.

but I won't because I can't do poo poo with art :downsgun:

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Oh hey, let's check out today's GK update...:psyboom:.

And this, Annie, is why it isn't recommended to spy on people crab things in the ether.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Hahhahahaa this is the best way to start a Monday! loving cracking up here, especially at the dual grimace.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!
Only one reaction panel is appropriate for this page.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
If there happened to be a few more panels, they probably would have looked something like this.

DreamtShadow
Aug 21, 2010

I remember when Annie got the cut on her aetheric face, but did they ever mention if it was something that would heal? It's interesting that it is still around.

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne

DreamtShadow posted:

I remember when Annie got the cut on her aetheric face, but did they ever mention if it was something that would heal? It's interesting that it is still around.

The only time I remember the scar being acknowledged at all is in this strip with coyote, I'm not sure Kat's mother ever mentioned it. Coyote doesn't comment on if it would heal, though.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh god, I bust a gut laughing. Tom, I love you.

Now gimmie a kiss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Noonsaliwah posted:

The only time I remember the scar being acknowledged at all is in this strip with coyote, I'm not sure Kat's mother ever mentioned it. Coyote doesn't comment on if it would heal, though.

I want to say either Zimmy or Gamma have noticed it but I'm not sure where.

edit: Aha, here it is.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 17, 2011