Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

NerdPolice posted:

Don't know what is going on but ever since Lion I've been getting pinwheels OFTEN. I've thought it was FireFox but even using other browsers I still get pinwheels and also realized it was happening in practically every other application. Is there some sort of magic that I should know about? I did a clean install of Lion about a month ago and never had any sort of issue similar to this with Snow Leopard.

The fact it happens often makes me think it is the HDD but it is less than 6 months old, never had issues before, passes all test utilities I can throw at it with flying colours.

Is there some sort of cache I can clear out or secret Lion option I can turn off?
Did you install fresh or upgrade on top of an existing SL install?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NerdPolice
Jun 18, 2005

GINYU FORCE RULES

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Did you install fresh or upgrade on top of an existing SL install?
Completely fresh install of Lion. Used an old FireWire drive I had, moved the App Store .App/.DMG to the FW drive, booted off the FW drive and installed it to my internal drive. Only other thing on the internal drive prior was a bootcamp partition.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
Strange. I have no idea then.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
In my zeal to try out iCloud, I either ticked the "Bookmarks" box on my Mac, or it was checked by default. In any case, it now added two useless folders that I cannot remove from my iPhone: "Bookmarks Bar" and "Bookmarks Menu." I have tried all manners of syncing, re-syncing, and .plist editing, but at this point I concede defeat. I can either backup my Mobile Safari bookmarks to my iCloud account and live with two extra folders on my phone, or I can disable bookmarks backup and get those two rows back. I am irrationally frustrated by this.

ETA: The problem is that there does not seem to be a way to "reset" bookmarks stored in iCloud. I can only "merge" from my iPhone, and I can't find a combination of .plist edits on my Mac that removes the bookmarks in a way that iCloud respects. Le sigh.

Kobayashi fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 17, 2011

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
Useless? Why? If you want bookmark syncing then why are they useless?

For reference, this is what it's syncing from your Mac.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Useless? Why? If you want bookmark syncing then why are they useless?

For reference, this is what it's syncing from your Mac.

You're right. The problem is, I don't want to sync my bookmarks with my Mac. I simply want to back up my phone's bookmarks to iCloud. Unfortunately, I accidentally checked the box to backup my Mac's bookmarks to iCloud too, and now I'm stuck with those folders on my phone. Mobile Safari won't let me delete those folders, and I can't use my Mac to trick iCloud into forgetting about them either. My mistake, I guess, but it's still annoying.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
Ahh, didn't get what you were saying.

Why don't you want to sync your Mac bookmarks with your iPhone? That's kind of the purpose of iCloud. It's not so much as "backing up" as it is keeping things synced across multiple Apple devices.

DigitalChaos
Aug 18, 2003
Scripting question! (is there a better place to ask?)

"Do Something When" is a great app for executing anything after a drive has been plugged in and/or mounted. However, it sucks having to rely on it. Outside of polling the syslog every 10 seconds to see if a drive has been mounted... is there a better way to do this entirely within a script? Shell script, apple script, ruby, python... i dont care! I just want some way of handling this without a 3rd party app. Script & apple native tools only.

This script will be daemonized vi launchctl so it will be always alive. I just want the most lightweight way to detect a drive mounting event. Does OSX have a built in tool or other method for this maybe?

vkeios
May 7, 2007

DigitalChaos posted:

This script will be daemonized vi launchctl so it will be always alive. I just want the most lightweight way to detect a drive mounting event. Does OSX have a built in tool or other method for this maybe?
Check out the StartOnMount key for Launchd. Apple's own com.apple.backupd-attach.plist uses it.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ahh, didn't get what you were saying.

Why don't you want to sync your Mac bookmarks with your iPhone? That's kind of the purpose of iCloud. It's not so much as "backing up" as it is keeping things synced across multiple Apple devices.

It's mostly because I use the web differently on my Mac and on my phone. I could probably get used to it if those folders weren't at the top of the screen. But as it is now, it's too much clutter: Reading List, History, Bookmarks Menu, Bookmarks Bar, and then what I actually want, my bookmarks. It sounds trivial, but I want those two rows back.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I'm not quite sure how to word this, but is there a Mac archive utility that supports a sort of file manager view, like WinRAR or WinZIP? My wife wants to be able to easily see what's in her ZIP files (without unzipping them) and add and remove individual files by dragging and dropping, and as far as I can tell, there's no way to do this with The Unarchiver or the Archive Utility. They just unzip everything and that's it.

Evil Orca
Aug 30, 2011

brc64 posted:

I'm not quite sure how to word this, but is there a Mac archive utility that supports a sort of file manager view, like WinRAR or WinZIP? My wife wants to be able to easily see what's in her ZIP files (without unzipping them) and add and remove individual files by dragging and dropping, and as far as I can tell, there's no way to do this with The Unarchiver or the Archive Utility. They just unzip everything and that's it.

Both WinRAR and WinZip have OSX versions. http://www.winzip.com/mac/en/product_overview_mac.htm?sc_cid=go_us_b_search_Mac_Edition and http://www.win-rar.com/download.html they both seem to have a file manager view similar to their Windows versions.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

NerdPolice posted:

Don't know what is going on but ever since Lion I've been getting pinwheels OFTEN. I've thought it was FireFox but even using other browsers I still get pinwheels and also realized it was happening in practically every other application. Is there some sort of magic that I should know about? I did a clean install of Lion about a month ago and never had any sort of issue similar to this with Snow Leopard.

The fact it happens often makes me think it is the HDD but it is less than 6 months old, never had issues before, passes all test utilities I can throw at it with flying colours.

Is there some sort of cache I can clear out or secret Lion option I can turn off?

Do you have an external hard drive or multiple hard drives in your computer? This happens to me when an external drive spins down and then it will pinwheel when it spins the HD back up. For some reason there is a lot of things in Lion that make the hard drive spin up, seems to happen way more than Snow Leopard ever did.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Evil Orca posted:

Both WinRAR and WinZip have OSX versions. http://www.winzip.com/mac/en/product_overview_mac.htm?sc_cid=go_us_b_search_Mac_Edition and http://www.win-rar.com/download.html they both seem to have a file manager view similar to their Windows versions.
WinZip Mac :psyduck:

Another one is BetterZip.

Without much ado
Feb 11, 2006

brc64 posted:

There's also zipeg

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
I want to have a 1-button thing in my menu bar that turns on and off a SOCKS proxy. Is this possible?

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Ziir posted:

I want to have a 1-button thing in my menu bar that turns on and off a SOCKS proxy. Is this possible?

I use Chrome and Proxy Switchy. That one definitely switches the browser's proxy settings in one button with the quick switch enabled. Firefox has Foxyproxy which is similar. I don't know about menu bar and one button version of either of those or of this kind. Also, I've never seen any app do a one button thing in the menu bar either.

NerdPolice
Jun 18, 2005

GINYU FORCE RULES

Barack Pwnbama posted:

Do you have an external hard drive or multiple hard drives in your computer? This happens to me when an external drive spins down and then it will pinwheel when it spins the HD back up. For some reason there is a lot of things in Lion that make the hard drive spin up, seems to happen way more than Snow Leopard ever did.
Happens when none of my externals are connected. I did a full permissions repair and disk repair followed by starting in Safe Mode to clear out any cache problems. Will report back after a few days of use.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Is there any kind of small piece of software that automatically switches desktop wallpapers at certain times of day? I know OSX has this sort of thing in it by default, but I'd like to set the time when the wallpaper changes myself (ie. switch from a brighter wallpaper to something darker when it's 6pm and back at 6am or something).

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Have you tried f.lux? It might just be what you need. (it doesn't change wallpapers though, just regulates the temperature of the screen's lighting or whatever, I'm not good at explaining this)

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yeah I use f.lux and love it, but I'm using dual monitors and it'd be nice to have a day/night wallpaper cycle at appropriate times. :) It's a shame the built-in wallpaper rotation in OSX doesn't let you do this.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Safari still doesn't work at the library and I have no idea why. But as Firefox does work, I guess I will just chalk it up to ghosts or voodoo magic and move on.

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

What's a good note taking application? Not just quick notes, but like school notes. Things I would like most are good organization and good formatting options.

Hopewell
Nov 29, 2004

I killed the president of Paraguay with a fork.

Stare-Out posted:

Is there any kind of small piece of software that automatically switches desktop wallpapers at certain times of day? I know OSX has this sort of thing in it by default, but I'd like to set the time when the wallpaper changes myself (ie. switch from a brighter wallpaper to something darker when it's 6pm and back at 6am or something).

This is kind of a silly workaround, but you could set up a folder of wallpapers and set OS X to cycle through them. Since OS X has options for "Change Wallpaper Every Hour" and "Every Day", but not "Every 12 Hours", you could make 12 copies of your brighter wallpaper and 12 copies of your darker wallpaper. Then make sure the "random order" box is unselected, and the wallpapers should appear to change twice a day.

Hopewell
Nov 29, 2004

I killed the president of Paraguay with a fork.

Clank posted:

What's a good note taking application? Not just quick notes, but like school notes. Things I would like most are good organization and good formatting options.

Personally, I used Journler for the first semester of law school, then Pages, and finally settled on Omni Outliner Pro. It depends if you like having a database of files, or a series of paragraphs, or a flexible outline. I recommend OOP because I really like thinking in outline form.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Evernote may work too

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Hopewell posted:

This is kind of a silly workaround, but you could set up a folder of wallpapers and set OS X to cycle through them. Since OS X has options for "Change Wallpaper Every Hour" and "Every Day", but not "Every 12 Hours", you could make 12 copies of your brighter wallpaper and 12 copies of your darker wallpaper. Then make sure the "random order" box is unselected, and the wallpapers should appear to change twice a day.

MacRabbit (the people who make Espresso/CSSEdit) used to have an app called DeskShade that would let you set wallpapers to cycle at a certain time, as well as do nifty things like recolouring existing desktop images via sliders and such, but it seems they've removed all references to it from their site and I can't find a download to see if the last released version plays nicely with Lion.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Hopewell posted:

That's... actually pretty clever. I'll do just that until I find an app that does it for me. Thanks. :)

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Clank posted:

I really like PearNote because of its audio recording feature. It'll match up what you're hearing with what you've typed. Click a certain place in your notes, and it'll seek to that portion of the audio. Has actually saved my rear end a few times.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Stare-Out posted:

This is old so I'm not sure if it runs well on Lion. At work now so I can't try it out.

Desktopia:
http://www.chatelp.org/?page_id=6

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Stare-Out posted:

That's... actually pretty clever. I'll do just that until I find an app that does it for me. Thanks. :)

Without digging into it too much, another way to do this would be to use Lingon to schedule the action. I'm sure you could script the whole thing through Lingon, but to make things simpler you could just create two applications in Automator- one to change the desktop image and another to change it back. That way, you don't have to time the changing of your desktop changes based on when you turned on your computer, you could set it to happen at a given time.

You may get off of the cycle for a bit if you shut down your computer and turn it back on after the desktop was supposed to switch. I suppose if you really care that much you could run a little script at boot to set the correct background on boot.

The.Big.Dirty.Emu
May 2, 2009
Studio Network Solutions Lion compatible iSCSI initiator is out today.

http://www.studionetworksolutions.com/products/product_detail.php?pi=11

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thank loving christ.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

ephori posted:

Anybody here work with Macs in a corporate, Windows environment? I've always used Macs at home and PCs at work, but they just bought me a Mac Pro to play with at the office because they're thinking about buying a bunch more for some of the marketing staff.

They likely won't be buying an OS X server, so what are my options for integrating these things into active directory, and locking them down a bit and whatnot? Googling gives me a ton of options, so I was hoping for some direction on what to look at first. We've got about 1500 PCs and probably won't have more than about 30 Macs, all Pros probably. Domain controllers are server 2003.

Late on this, but I am a Mac admin at a university explicitly doing what you are talking about. I have around 50 'lab' Macs that I manage in a Server 2003 AD environment. You basically have two options: OS X Server or BeyondTrust (Likewise). Technically, we use both, but I know that AD is better in SL and Lion than it was in Leopard, but I have found that Likewise is more reliable long term than Apple's plugin.

BeyondTrust allows you to manage Mac policy from within a complete Windows environment by using a snap in console that you point Apple's Server Tools (namely Workgroup Manager) to as a 'fake' Mac OS X Open Directory Server.

The other option is to just setup a Mac (a mini server is perfect for this) as an OD master and do the policy that way. Both methods still allow for AD authentication, but I have found the OSX Server method to be better for managing policy.

Feel free to PM if you don't want to really go off topic in the thread.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

mayodreams posted:

Late on this, but I am a Mac admin at a university explicitly doing what you are talking about. I have around 50 'lab' Macs that I manage in a Server 2003 AD environment. You basically have two options: OS X Server or BeyondTrust (Likewise). Technically, we use both, but I know that AD is better in SL and Lion than it was in Leopard, but I have found that Likewise is more reliable long term than Apple's plugin.

BeyondTrust allows you to manage Mac policy from within a complete Windows environment by using a snap in console that you point Apple's Server Tools (namely Workgroup Manager) to as a 'fake' Mac OS X Open Directory Server.

The other option is to just setup a Mac (a mini server is perfect for this) as an OD master and do the policy that way. Both methods still allow for AD authentication, but I have found the OSX Server method to be better for managing policy.

Feel free to PM if you don't want to really go off topic in the thread.
That's a big help, thanks! I'll start there, and I may shoot you some questions once I've had a chance to dig a little deeper. I appreciate it!

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Ziir posted:

You can try this. Make a bash script with this in it:
code:
#!/bin/bash
SERVICE='Wi-Fi' # Change this if you need to
CURRENTSTATE=$(networksetup -getsocksfirewallproxy $SERVICE | awk '/^Enabled/ { print $2 }')

if   [ "$CURRENTSTATE" = 'No'  ];then
    NEWSTATE='on'
elif [ "$CURRENTSTATE" = 'Yes' ];then
    NEWSTATE='off'
fi

networksetup -setsocksfirewallproxystate $SERVICE $NEWSTATE
Save it somewhere you won't delete it (for example ~/.socks), and make sure it's executable (chmod +x ~/.socks)

Then, save this into a file called SOCKS.scpt:

code:
on run
    set the_password to "default"
    do shell script "sudo ~/.socks" password the_password with administrator privileges
end run
Open it with AppleScript Editor, and Save As an Application in /Library/Scripts

Now, open this:

/System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/Script Menu.menu

Now you should see your script in there.

This works for me when I try, although it's two clicks. You can probably delete all those folders if you'll never use them, make it look a little cleaner.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Re: notes, I've heard Curio is nice if you're into the free form type of note taking.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Is it normal to press Caps Lock and not have it do anything until you hit it a second time? 10.6, MBP, WTF.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

lord funk posted:

Is it normal to press Caps Lock and not have it do anything until you hit it a second time? 10.6, MBP, WTF.
My Caps Lock takes a lot more force to register than the A key right next to it on my 2011 Air. Maybe it's to prevent accidental input?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

If you release too soon after you press, it won't trigger to prevent accidental input.