Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

One of the many missed opportunities in Dark Souls is the Gravelord Covenant.

How were you able to join? He just decided to fight me to the death. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Glasscock
Apr 15, 2004

HOO-DAH!!! Fatal Wiimote blow to the face, 20 points!

sizerp posted:

I assume this has already been posted, but hell why not double post this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=x9ymysN3qQ8

90 minute speed run

Why did that guy use the soul giving items before fighting the dragon?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

RedTonic posted:

How were you able to join? He just decided to fight me to the death. :(

You actually have to join via a "secret" method in the Catacombs, you can find it on the Wiki. By the time you get to the boss fight it's too late.

Believe me you're not missing out on anything, the Covenant does not work properly (and the Miracle, while cool looking, is nothing to write home about.)

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Dr. Glasscock posted:

Why did that guy use the soul giving items before fighting the dragon?

Just efficient use of time. He was waiting for the dragon to jump down onto the bridge which takes a little bit, so he filled the time with some item use since he needed the souls for later.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

G.I. Jaw posted:

The covenant you left does not get mad at you if you leave by joining another covenant. However, if you rejoin later, you begin again at rank 1.

Out of curiosity I checked to see if I could absolve myself before switching from the gravelord to the chaos servant. I didn't have to pay before, but afterwords the guy wanted like 100k worth of souls to absolve my sins. So I assume it does something when you abandon a covenant without using the absovler guy.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

So I remember reading somewhere in here that there's a patch coming at the end of the month that'll fix multiplayer. Do we have a source for that or is that just wishful thinking?

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

DO IT TO IT posted:

I like combining armor sets. In Demon's Souls I used the Old King guy's armor with the heavy Brushwood helmet (I think that's what it was called). Now, in Dark Souls, I'm using the Gold Hemmed leggings and hood combined with the Black Iron chestplate and gauntlets. Also that blue shield the first blacksmith sells, though I'd like to find something else. It makes me look like some kind of armored wraith and I think the stat balance you get is pretty nice.

I AGREE.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

sizerp posted:

I assume this has already been posted, but hell why not double post this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=x9ymysN3qQ8

90 minute speed run

Why does he switch his Drake Sword so much when running through the swamps in the 2nd video around the 3:30 mark? Doesn't seem to be doing anything.

Edit:I don't even get how he beat ceaseless discharge. Just punching him with the left hand?

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 17, 2011

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop
Got done killing the Gargoyles, getting the axe and ringing the bell but now I have two questions.

What stats do I need for that awesome gargoyle tail axe?

Where do I go now? At the parish bonfire/blacksmith there is some lightning shooting douche I can't beat so I ran past him into some forest but I'm not sure I should be here. If I remember the guy who gave the hint at firelink said the second bell was underground, is that the catacombs underground or that giant elevator down to the blacksmith underground?

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
^^^^: There's a locked door at the opposite side of where the dragon is perching. You should have the key for that now, or it should be out near the front entrance of the church.

Harminoff posted:

Why does he switch his Drake Sword so much when running through the swamps in the 2nd video around the 3:30 mark? Doesn't seem to be doing anything.

Looks like it's making him run a tiny bit faster since he doesn't have the rusted ring.

Hamburger Test fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 17, 2011

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

Fungah! posted:

So I remember reading somewhere in here that there's a patch coming at the end of the month that'll fix multiplayer. Do we have a source for that or is that just wishful thinking?

Patch notes mention changes to matchmaking but they haven't expanded on it any further than that. Personally, I'm not gonna bother with a PVP-themed character unless that patch makes some major improvements on the 360 side.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

What stats do I need for that awesome gargoyle tail axe?

14 DEX and 14 STR, but it's a very bad axe that you shouldn't use.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Cephalocidal posted:

I AGREE.

Yes! Yes!

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

With a little more analysis, I believe that the giant set is probably one of the best in the game. It has excellent poise for its weight, and better defenses than havels. The real problem is that it requires twinkling titanite.

For the zweihander lovers, you can wield a Zweihander, Hollow Soldier shield, pyro flame, composite bow, Mask of the father, and the other three pieces of giant armor along with the ring of favor and protection. That puts you exactly at 51.5 out of 102.1 at 40 endurance, enough to get the sub 50% move speed and roll. Would work well with a wood-grain ring.

The fatty armor is still good. Very good even, especially considering it doesn't need to be upgraded. The giant set can save you a few precious pounds though, if you are trying to squeeze in as much as you can in your weight limit.

Edit: Whoops, I can't multiply. You would need 41 endurance for that. Still, it isn't a bad reason to pick up one endurance.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Oct 17, 2011

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Man, I am just getting nothing at all for summons on Iron Golem. I swear my level has nothing to do with how much I get summoned. It's just entirely up to the whims of whatever dumps me into servers.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Oh wow. I just got my eye of death to work in the undead burg on NG+. The guy seemed like his ng+ too with ringwraith clothes.

Its nice to see that this actually works! First off a summoning noise happened and a fog gate rose up closing off the undead burg bonfire, then it told me vengeful spirit so and so has invaded.

I feel bad, because I used the Fog ring, but I wanted to see if he would really give me an eye.

No more fog ring now.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Harminoff posted:

It might have some weird effect on movement speed, but I'll go ahead and say that's just an illusion and he's just doing it to kill time doing something, much like how people love jumping everywhere while traveling in some games despite the fact that it's not changing their speed/slowing them down maybe.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Dear Watson posted:

Oh wow. I just got my eye of death to work in the undead burg on NG+. The guy seemed like his ng+ too with ringwraith clothes.

Its nice to see that this actually works! First off a summoning noise happened and a fog gate rose up closing off the undead burg bonfire, then it told me vengeful spirit so and so has invaded.

My first one worked too. I wish you the best on getting more victims.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Elysiume posted:

Man, I am just getting nothing at all for summons on Iron Golem. I swear my level has nothing to do with how much I get summoned. It's just entirely up to the whims of whatever dumps me into servers.

What level are you at? I was there for a couple of hours at level 45 and did pretty well, probably an average of about 10 minutes between summonses.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

sentrygun posted:

It might have some weird effect on movement speed, but I'll go ahead and say that's just an illusion and he's just doing it to kill time doing something, much like how people love jumping everywhere while traveling in some games despite the fact that it's not changing their speed/slowing them down maybe.

He's only doing it while moving through the swamp water from what I could tell, as soon as he touches land he stops doing it.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Noxville posted:

What level are you at? I was there for a couple of hours at level 45 and did pretty well, probably an average of about 10 minutes between summonses.
41. Where were you dropping your sigil?

the night dad
Oct 23, 2006

by XyloJW

One of the many missed opportunities in Dark Souls is the Gravelord Covenant. I really liked the idea of having people come to me, so I put my sign out in plain sight the middle of a clearing in the forest and got one invader (in Lautrec armor!!!), whom I killed immediately and got an eye for. Then I blew 2 Eyes of Death trying to get people to come in after them (no dice, Eyes are spent, 1 left, yikes).

I hear the Gravelord Sword Dance Miracle sucks poo poo but it looks insanely awesome and I really wanted to be a badass servant of death who took on 2-3 people at a time in order to be vanquished and rid their world of the curse. That's a fun narrative for them and a good time for me. But the Eyes are just too rare (there are 7 of them in the entire game not counting getting 1 per hour farming drops and the 3 you can buy from Patches) so you can't use them willy-nilly.

The whole thing just doesn't work, it's a dumb Covenant that you should join to get the sword and then leave. It feels like something that wasn't tested at all. Hopefully they will make it work at some point.
Grave lord is a cool idea, in concept, but absolutely hosed in game by poor design. First of all, you have no real feedback of how well your curse is doing besides random souls popping in on you. Secondly, the fact that you rely on needing someone to be in human form AND want to attempt PVP means you'll be stuck doing jack poo poo for awhile hoping the matchmaking stars align. It doesn't help much either when the item you need to do turn ins with are retardly rare, while other covenants require something trivial to farm, or let you barge in on other players directly.

Just want lich form... :(

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Elysiume posted:

41. Where were you dropping your sigil?

Right outside the boss door.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

My first one worked too. I wish you the best on getting more victims.

This is my 10th or more try. I have 20 more. I think I'll try it once in every area.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

Hamburger Test posted:

He's only doing it while moving through the swamp water from what I could tell, as soon as he touches land he stops doing it.

Once he hits land he's allowed to use his run button again, so he opts for that as an obvious timesaver.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Duke's Archive is really obnoxious. Why yes I would LOVE to be sniped from everywhere and have magic tossed at me, thanks!

e: AND they buff the archers so they do 50% damage AND everything runs away to the most obnoxious area AND the wizards are in initially unreachable positions AND you have to die to proceed AND you can't summon or invade or do multiplayer at all in here and who actually thought this area was fun or enjoyable in any way?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Oct 17, 2011

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Vatek posted:

Patch notes mention changes to matchmaking but they haven't expanded on it any further than that. Personally, I'm not gonna bother with a PVP-themed character unless that patch makes some major improvements on the 360 side.

Well that's better than nothing, I guess. I just want to punish the guilty, drat it, From

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Weird... I rescued Lautrec from before the bell gargoyle, and he was at Firelink Shrine for a while, but he seems to have vanished. And the Firekeeper isn't dead, so... where the hell did he get to?

I want his ring :mad:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
^^^ He disappears periodically. Whenever he's in, drop by for a chat!

No homo posted:

Grave lord is a cool idea, in concept, but absolutely hosed in game by poor design. First of all, you have no real feedback of how well your curse is doing besides random souls popping in on you. Secondly, the fact that you rely on needing someone to be in human form AND want to attempt PVP means you'll be stuck doing jack poo poo for awhile hoping the matchmaking stars align. It doesn't help much either when the item you need to do turn ins with are retardly rare, while other covenants require something trivial to farm, or let you barge in on other players directly.

Just want lich form... :(

I've only seen one gravelord sign (in Tomb!) and I didn't know what it was at first. By the time I figured it out, it had disappeared. :( I haven't gotten to fight any gravelord beasties or players. (Thanks, p2p!)

plainclothes goth
Jul 15, 2001
I'm still pretty early in the game since I don't often have time to play stuff, but I have The Depths was one of the best game experiences I've had in recent memory. After I got cursed the first time, I was so scared of getting cursed again that I spent an hour farming humanity, bumped my humanity count up to like 8, then played through the level at a snail's pace throwing firebombs at Basilisks and being heart-poundingly terrified the whole time. I didn't wind up dying once, until I got creamed by the boss (thank god for that shortcut). I can't remember the last time a game kept me on my toes like that. I was really being careful, as if my actual goddamn life depended on it.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Noxville posted:

I'll give that a shot, thanks.

Ledneh posted:

Weird... I rescued Lautrec from before the bell gargoyle, and he was at Firelink Shrine for a while, but he seems to have vanished. And the Firekeeper isn't dead, so... where the hell did he get to?

I want his ring :mad:
He wandered around for me before he killed her. Just wait, you'll be able to find him eventually. You can't even hunt him down until Anor Londo.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Noxville posted:

I love your avatar.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

sentrygun posted:

Once he hits land he's allowed to use his run button again, so he opts for that as an obvious timesaver.

Notice the stamina drain, he is using the run button.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

a shameful boehner posted:

I love your avatar.

I knew from the first moment I saw it that that line would get titled. :v:

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Anyone have a good spot for dropping a summon sign on gaping dragon? I am SL32 and I previously posted about how often I got pulled for Capra Demon. Not being summoned at all for an hour and a half is a strange feeling :ohdear:

The depths is so confusing I dont even know how to describe where I am. I dunno if there are multiple entrances to the boss but I'm dropping it right at the top of a stairway that leads down to a fog door on the lowest level of the boss room. Its 2 levels below where the mage guy is you gotta kill.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

Hamburger Test posted:

Notice the stamina drain, he is using the run button.

Odd, I guess I wasn't watching that. Even stranger is that the stamina bar bounces back a little bit every time he switches weapon position. Maybe it lets him run longer but only works in the swamp.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

RBA Starblade posted:

A mimic just did 1000 damage to me. :stare:

You can greatly mitigate the damage of grab attacks by mashing R1 and L1.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Dear Watson posted:

This is my 10th or more try. I have 20 more. I think I'll try it once in every area.

How do you have so many Eyes of Death?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

DO IT TO IT posted:

I like combining armor sets. In Demon's Souls I used the Old King guy's armor with the heavy Brushwood helmet (I think that's what it was called). Now, in Dark Souls, I'm using the Gold Hemmed leggings and hood combined with the Black Iron chestplate and gauntlets. Also that blue shield the first blacksmith sells, though I'd like to find something else. It makes me look like some kind of armored wraith and I think the stat balance you get is pretty nice.

I like to wear Leather Armor with my Sorcerer's Hat. Makes me look like some kinda bard or tour guide. :3:

EDIT: Also, where the hell do I get Green Titanite Shards?

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Oct 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Ledneh posted:

I knew from the first moment I saw it that that line would get titled. :v:

The question is, what is he pouring on himself?

• Locked thread