Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

gravyflood posted:

I like to wear Leather Armor with my Sorcerer's Hat. Makes me look like some kinda bard or tour guide. :3:

EDIT: Also, where the hell do I get Green Titanite Shards?
Slimes in the Depths and leeches in Blighttown (swamp area) can drop them. I'd suggest the leeches, as they drop 5 at a time.

a shameful boehner posted:

The question is, what is he pouring on himself?
Sunny D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Elysiume posted:

Slimes in the Depths and leeches in Blighttown (swamp area) can drop them. I'd suggest the leeches, as they drop 5 at a time.

Ah, great. I just made a cleric to hopefully build into a faithy-tanky-man. Starting equipment leaves something to be desired. Should I buy some chain mail?

EDIT: ^^^ I prefer to think of it as Sunny E, since the Estus Flask animation pretty much has you throwing the stuff at your face anyway.

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

This galaxy only has room for one karaoke champ.

gravyflood posted:

I like to wear Leather Armor with my Sorcerer's Hat. Makes me look like some kinda bard or tour guide. :3:

EDIT: Also, where the hell do I get Green Titanite Shards?

The leeches in the blight town swamp drop 5 at a time, or the merchant in sen's sells them for like 4000 souls each

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Adrian Owlsley posted:

The leeches in the blight town swamp drop 5 at a time, or the merchant in sen's sells them for like 4000 souls each
Oh, I forgot about him. He sells at 5000 per; large shards are the 4k.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

How do you have so many Eyes of Death?

I spent a lot of time with item discovery 410 in the depths. A lot of time. I would usually spend time talking with my girlfriend while farming them, it takes no thought at all, and with the right clothes you can't be cursed as the curse bar becomes so long it really can't fill up all the way.

As a side note, the vengeful spirit I just killed re-invaded, and I played fair and he got me fairly with a backstab. My bad, I'm not used to multiplayer yet with only a few summons in the cat covenant (mostly against people way higher level and way better equipped) and I got so nervous!
So it looks like the sign must stay in their world until you leave or die.

Cheers to you vengeful spirit! You deserve the win!

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

But seriously. As someone who has 0 humanity and 0 humanity items, and has gotten the last one down to about 10% HP three times now: gently caress O&S.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Adrian Owlsley posted:

Heh. Sen's Fortress seems so far off... :negative:

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

gravyflood posted:

Facing that climb out of Blighttown the first time just about made me despair until I explored the waterwheel all the way up and found a shortcut out. One thing Dark Souls does damned well is simulate going way, way down into the earth. Kind of roguelike-ish.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

What should I put points into now?

Vitality 26
Attunement 11
Endurance 31
Strength 15
Dexterity 15
Resistance 11
Intelligence 10 or something
Faith 8

I use a lightning weapon so I don't really need Strength or Dexterity. I don't really care about casting spells either. Should I just keep putting points into endurance and vitality until they're like 50?

Edit: by the way this game is fairly ruthless when it comes to PvP. Just today I was resting at a bonfire while searching the internet for some information, and I suddenly hear a backstab noise. I switch my monitor's source back to my Xbox and find out that my dude just got stabbed in the back. At a bonfire. And then I died.

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 17, 2011

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
After running back and forth for ages in the slime hallway, and getting not a single shard drop, I am calling bullshit on that being a decent farming area. Yes, they drop the green ones, and I guess another type, but it looks to be a ridiculously rare drop. I even popped 2 humanity items to try and improve my odds, but nada.

Maybe that changes later when you have the ring that boosts drop rates, but by then, you've probably got access to better farming areas anyways.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

gravyflood posted:

The leeches drop a lot. I had ~50 green titanites by the time I stopped farming them, and I wasn't farming for all that long.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Elysiume posted:

The leeches drop a lot. I had ~50 green titanites by the time I stopped farming them, and I wasn't farming for all that long.

It should be safer to go down there once I ring the first bell, right?
Also, I like how you can hear other players who're ringing the bell. :unsmith:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Heavy neutrino posted:

You can greatly mitigate the damage of grab attacks by mashing R1 and L1.

Thanks. I guess I just didn't hammer hard enough.

Where do I go in Duke's Fortress? I got the great door key and went through that, and got to the bonfire on the window ledge, but I can't seem to find anywhere else to go. Moving the stairs seems to do nothing important. Anyone have a hint?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Dear Watson posted:

I spent a lot of time with item discovery 410 in the depths. A lot of time. I would usually spend time talking with my girlfriend while farming them, it takes no thought at all, and with the right clothes you can't be cursed as the curse bar becomes so long it really can't fill up all the way.

As a side note, the vengeful spirit I just killed re-invaded, and I played fair and he got me fairly with a backstab. My bad, I'm not used to multiplayer yet with only a few summons in the cat covenant (mostly against people way higher level and way better equipped) and I got so nervous!
So it looks like the sign must stay in their world until you leave or die.

Cheers to you vengeful spirit! You deserve the win!

See now this is very very appealing. This is exactly what I wanted to do with the Gravelord Covenant, get up to SL70 and just be an ominous, deadly figure that other people can smash down until they actually succeed and feel like a million dollars.

So I guess I gotta hit the Depths, to realize my dreams. :(

Edit: Or maybe get my rear end to the Chaos Covenant for a while and work on my sweet-rear end Pyromancy, I dunno.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Found the patchnotes:

A bug where the effect of Magic Shield and Strong Magic Shield work even when not blocking
A bug where there is a delay in incantation time brought forth by consecutive use of magic
Revision of the Fog Ring's unfair effect on locking
Revision of the effectiveness of Tranquil Walk of Peace
A data read error during a complete map change
Alterations to matching conditions/requirements (etc.)

※The details on the improvement of these items will be announced again at a later date

At this time, we are truly very sorry to everyone for the great amount of inconvenience and trouble we have caused. Once more, we give our apologies.

All of that owns. Can't wait.

e: Oh yeah, read somewhere that they're rebalancing scaling and elemental weapons. The real Dark Souls starts here

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Oct 18, 2011

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Shalinor posted:

After running back and forth for ages in the slime hallway, and getting not a single shard drop, I am calling bullshit on that being a decent farming area. Yes, they drop the green ones, and I guess another type, but it looks to be a ridiculously rare drop. I even popped 2 humanity items to try and improve my odds, but nada.

Maybe that changes later when you have the ring that boosts drop rates, but by then, you've probably got access to better farming areas anyways.

Just FYI I've cleared the bonfire slime hallway twice as a hollow with 30 liquid humanity and got 2 green shards each time. Item discovery was around 200

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

RBA Starblade posted:

Thanks. I guess I just didn't hammer hard enough.

Where do I go in Duke's Fortress? I got the great door key and went through that, and got to the bonfire on the window ledge, but I can't seem to find anywhere else to go. Moving the stairs seems to do nothing important. Anyone have a hint?

Use the rotating stairs to get to the second floor of the room that bonfire is in where you should find a ladder.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Minorkos posted:

What should I put points into now?

Vitality 26
Attunement 11
Endurance 31
Strength 15
Dexterity 15
Resistance 11
Intelligence 10 or something
Faith 8

I use a lightning weapon so I don't really need Strength or Dexterity. I don't really care about casting spells either. Should I just keep putting points into endurance and vitality until they're like 50?

You might as well put one more point into attunement for the extra pyromancy slot. You say you don't use magic, but it's only a single point, and it can come in handy. If you don't want to use any attack spells ever, you can still stick Iron Flesh and Flash Sweat in there. Or Power Within.

After that, yeah. Just pump endurance and vitality. Maybe resistance when you get both of those to 40, but resistance kind of sucks.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Good to hear about the fix coming to matching conditions. I have barely done any invading or summoning/being summoned at all, so I really am curious about this: If I'm around soul level 48, what bosses do you think I'd have best results trying to be summoned for? Iron Golem or something like that?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Vargs posted:

You might as well put one more point into attunement for the extra pyromancy slot. You say you don't use magic, but it's only a single point, and it can come in handy. If you don't want to use any attack spells ever, you can still stick Iron Flesh and Flash Sweat in there. Or Power Within.

Seconding this. Bear in mind that pyromancies have no stat requirements to learn. You might eventually want to invest in dex so you can whip out a bow when you need to, but that's just me.

ericthebear
Mar 4, 2011
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGS23fURZTU&feature=player_detailpage#t=362s

Although I thought his Quelaag was sloppy, that is some awesome Sif-killing.

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

Vargs posted:

After that, yeah. Just pump endurance and vitality. Maybe resistance when you get both of those to 40, but resistance kind of sucks.

What are the actual numbers on how resistance compares to vit? If the effective health gain was about the same resistance would seem useful because you would get effectively more health out of heals, but I take it they're not about the same.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Vargs posted:

Yeah, I don't understand the people who completely abandon spells. There are some situations that are extremely hard when you don't have a good Great Fireball and playing purely melee seems like the perfect way to gimp yourself.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I've got my hello kitty bandit ring on and a summon sign down in the bonfire room before O+S. I've been pulled into one player's forest world 3 times now (something something Satyr something) and they're using Havel's Shield, some mo-hawnkin' flaming axe, a witch hat, a yellow dress, and pyromancy. She's kicking some rear end. One time I flipped off the cliff on accident, and the next time I managed to kill her only because another forest phantom arrived and distracted her with pyromancy.

She was lingering around the area every time I got pulled in. The last time, when I killed her, she indicted me. :wtc: There's no reason to be hanging around Human in that same area over and over unless you're trying to pull invaders.

Then some other guy in stone giant armor, wielding a jagged ghost blade, summoned me to his world 3 times to fight O+S. We finally killed them on the last time, though Mega Smough 2-shotted me with his hammer of death. The connection was so laggy that sometimes enemies would just suddenly explode into souls around me and I wouldn't see the player in the room at all. I think that's how I managed to get humanity and souls for the boss kill even though I was dead. It was quite strange.

I'm getting some use out of the Fog Ring I traded Snuggly for before they take it away, since this is probably the most PvP I'll do...

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
Help I cant find the pyro vendor in the swamp and the dude at camp has vamoosed. I want my fire spells!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Watching this speedrun on nicovideo is melting my brain.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Heavy neutrino posted:

Yeah, I don't understand the people who completely abandon spells. There are some situations that are extremely hard when you don't have a good Great Fireball and playing purely melee seems like the perfect way to gimp yourself.

I am forever stuck with a Pyromancer's Flame +1 until I beat the game. I screwed myself when I first visited the Chaos Daughter by killing her servant by mistake, and then I sent the Pyromancer at Firelink to his doom by telling him about her existence.

My best Pyromancy spell hits for 250ish damage. Really outside of buffs I'm not casting anything and I'm not running into too many issues.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Holy poo poo the O&S fight is pissing me off so much. Why?

The loving camera.

Here's the thing, I can get to the second stage of the fight no problem. But then the boss starts using some lighting AOE that is easy to avoid, as he is using the attack the lock-on disengages every. Single. loving. Time. This in turn causes the camera to glitch out and spin in an odd direction. Now either two things happen at this point: I run into a wall/pillar and lose all 800hp or I end up running INTO the boss and die.

Sad thing is that this is a really, really fun boss battle and probably one of my favourite in the game but the camera and lovely lock-on is just killing any desire I have to go back and try. It also doesn't help that I have to kill those drat four knights and archer every time. My armour is fine, my weapons are devastating, but there is nothing I can do about that when the camera and lock-on gently caress up so much.

Fungah! posted:

e: Oh yeah, read somewhere that they're rebalancing scaling and elemental weapons. The real Dark Souls starts here

Wonderful, I hope having 40 strength actually does something now.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
^^^ you don't have to kill the enemies in there, it's entirely possible to just run right by them all.

RedTonic posted:

She was lingering around the area every time I got pulled in. The last time, when I killed her, she indicted me. :wtc: There's no reason to be hanging around Human in that same area over and over unless you're trying to pull invaders.

She probably thought she was doing you a favor; more indictments means more PvP for you. Honestly everyone should carry around a dozen or so to spread the love.

On a related note now that I'm in NG+ I am dropping every duplicate item and ring I find that I don't think I'll want, hope to get some more Vagrants patrolling the system :3:

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Man, watching that speedrun guy makes me feel bad at games. He was two-handing his drake sword, switched to one hand, parried a balder knight with his bare hand, switched back to two hands, and twoshotted the knight, all in the course of like four seconds.

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

Red Mundus posted:

Holy poo poo the O&S fight is pissing me off so much. Why?

The loving camera.

Here's the thing, I can get to the second stage of the fight no problem. But then the boss starts using some lighting AOE that is easy to avoid, as he is using the attack the lock-on disengages every. Single. loving. Time. This in turn causes the camera to glitch out and spin in an odd direction. Now either two things happen at this point: I run into a wall/pillar and lose all 800hp or I end up running INTO the boss and die.

Sad thing is that this is a really, really fun boss battle and probably one of my favourite in the game but the camera and lovely lock-on is just killing any desire I have to go back and try. It also doesn't help that I have to kill those drat four knights and archer every time. My armour is fine, my weapons are devastating, but there is nothing I can do about that when the camera and lock-on gently caress up so much.

You should watch for him flexing his knees so you can roll away before you lose lock-on, also there's a much closer bonfire in the palace that will mean you only have to kill 2 knights. Either you're missing that bonfire or you're missing a shortcut or you're just taking on knights you don't have to or something.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Solomonic posted:

Facing that climb out of Blighttown the first time just about made me despair until I explored the waterwheel all the way up and found a shortcut out. One thing Dark Souls does damned well is simulate going way, way down into the earth. Kind of roguelike-ish.

I posted this very thing earlier. Have you made it past Queelag's?

That little jaunt down reminded me of getting to Dlvl 20 in Crawl. So awesome.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Adrian Owlsley posted:

You should watch for him flexing his knees so you can roll away before you lose lock-on, also there's a much closer bonfire in the palace that will mean you only have to kill 2 knights. Either you're missing that bonfire or you're missing a shortcut or you're just taking on knights you don't have to or something.

Thanks! Is that the bonfire where Siggy is? I thought that one was farther away. Guess I was wrong. I looked all over for a closer bonfire and would feel like a fool if I missed one.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Is Havel's unreinforceable? If so, that's pretty unfortunate.

I want to assist on O&S, but nobody's taking. First I couldn't assist on Iron Golem, now I can't assist on O&S. This is so frustrating! Do I need to be higher than 44?

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Ash Lake felt weird to me the first time I arrived. Like I wasn't supposed to be there looking up from the bottom of the world.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Yeah, I'm in NG+ now. The trip down past Quelaag is great the first time because at this point you're so far beyond the point of "how much further down does this go?!" and then you come out on the Demon Ruins and, at least for me, there was a distinct feeling of "Man, maybe I shouldn't be here" more than anywhere else in the game (although Tomb of the Giants probably would've gotten the same effect if I had explored there pre-Lordvessel).

Crystal Cave could've had the same effect if you'd had to follow it steadily downwards like the storm drains in Blighttown, but they cut that off much more quickly. Still some nice scenery, though!

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Mayor McCheese posted:

Ash Lake felt weird to me the first time I arrived. Like I wasn't supposed to be there looking up from the bottom of the world.

I haven't made it there yet, but one thing that no spoiler can really spoil for you is the visual impact of making it to a new area. When I realized that (Blighttown) you were actually looking at a sort-of "moat" for the castle with the indoor/outdoor areas and the huge support buttresses arcing out, and that the infected/undead may have been the slave workers of the castle proper I just went :aaaaa:

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

Red Mundus posted:

Thanks! Is that the bonfire where Siggy is? I thought that one was farther away. Guess I was wrong. I looked all over for a closer bonfire and would feel like a fool if I missed one.

The bonfire with solaire is the closest. The fastest path from there to the boss is through the room with the dragon head trophies, and you only need to fight the knight at the door of that room and at the base of the stairs in it, everything else you can just run past.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

You're going to enjoy the Tomb of the Giants. :shepface:

e: I finally did Tomb today. BRING THE LIGHT SPELL. It only takes like 14int and really takes the edge off the place. Plus you don't need to devote a hand to the lantern.

Ixjuvin fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself
Ok, I'm going nuts here. I'm trying to get Iaito but it requires a running jump. I've done leaps and sprints off areas, but nothing that requires this.

Can somebody help out a PS3 brother?

I've stripped down all my clothes to make it easier and nothing!

• Locked thread