Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
It's been said many times but yeah, the Survivalist entries are just really well done. One of the best examples of the classic RPG, finding journals style of storytelling.

Honest Hearts did feel a bit "thin" story-wise, especially compared to the other DLCs (makes sense with the different lead designers) but it's also my favorite to replay. The end-game branching is nice, Joshua is an extremely well realized character, Zion is good fun to explore (and tied together very well story-wise). Plus, the whole thing is rather pleasantly down to earth, while the other DLCs feature a lot more crazy things.

I've never been a huge fan of the tribals in Fallout but Honest Hearts really did it well I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Honest Heart is pretty fun and short. Go in, kill Grahman, kill David(?), and kill anyone that gets in your way as you exit.

You can 1-shot Graham with a sneak critical Power Fist uppercut while he's too busy sorting out guns. :metal:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Now I have more choices to make. Whose outfit do I wear? Joshua's is awesome, but Daniel's has a plaid shirt :woop: And whose gun do I use? A Light, or the Survivalist's rifle? Life is so hard.

Gonna rush through to a Yes Man ending on this save, finish it off fittingly, try and end my last few quests differently than last time. And then... new game, I guess. It'll be ~135 hours by the time I'm done. Goddamn that's a lot of time.

CommanderCoffee
Feb 27, 2011

Ladies.

eating only apples posted:

Now I have more choices to make. Whose outfit do I wear? Joshua's is awesome, but Daniel's has a plaid shirt :woop: And whose gun do I use? A Light, or the Survivalist's rifle? Life is so hard.

Joshua's armor has a crit boost. Use it.

As for the gun, whatever you have more ammo fore.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

eating only apples posted:

The last Survivalist entry hit me really, really hard. I teared up :smith: That whole thing was awesome, and now I have his rifle and it is amazing.

Yeah the last entry is really touching but i think it touched wrong places in my head because i flipped my poo poo, ran to Daniel and said i am going to kick rear end and take names with Joshua (my first inclination was towards helping Daniel). I said to myself: "The world went to hell and back, everywhere you can possibly go has its own White Legs to deal with, yes yes "war, war never changes" and i am sorry you have to do this but this is survival. now, lets cap some White Legs with .45's Joshua has been reloading for months :clint:"

The ending i got left a bitter taste in my mouth though. Well played Obsidian, well played.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
What are some fun builds to use? I've already done a sniper build, and now I'm doing a one-handed crit build. I also did a power fist build right when the game came out, I might do it again.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

jackofarcades posted:

What are some fun builds to use? I've already done a sniper build, and now I'm doing a one-handed crit build. I also did a power fist build right when the game came out, I might do it again.

Explosives builds are usually pretty fun.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

jackofarcades posted:

Explosives/Heavy Weapons build with Hit The Deck perk. It gives you dmg resistance against explosives in general so you can throw Microfusion Clusters on point blank range and watch enemies fly around. You can take the Mercy auto grenade machinegun with smart use of stealthboy if you don't want to throw things with your hand aswell.

Choose whatever traits you want (Good Natured+Skilled is always a good choice). Get Heave, Ho!, Demolition Expert (three ranks),Hit the Deck and Splash Damage and Mad Bomber if you have GRA DLC. Make variety of bombs like Nuka Grenade, Tin Can Grenade, MFC Cluster, Satchel Charges and Fat Mines for more fun.

I think there is a mod that makes explosive ammo, well , explosive when dropped on the ground so you can make a Fat Mine trap seeded with HE Missiles and 40 MM grenades and watch your enemies fly into orbit from the explosion.

Thematic builds are fun too, like the ones based around Cowboy or Grunt perks.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Finished the game and all the DLC. Thank you rope kid, and Obsidian. And, yes, thanks to Bethesda for letting the developer use the Fallout license. This game was a Light Shining in the Darkness of today's gaming industry.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

I just finished Old World Blues and man, what a great DLC. The humor was a great change from the overall seriousness of the main game.

I was finishing up the main quest when I got glitched out of Hoover Dam and the Legate camp, so I decided to go back and play through the DLCs. Great idea in hindsight. I just started Lonesome Road and am looking forward to the others considering how well done OWB was.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

50 Foot Ant posted:

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=44204

That's the one. I played for almost 3 hours straight, not a single crash, and I've got all kinds of goofy mods loaded up.

Awesome, for some reason 20 hours into my first modded game I can now no longer fast travel anywhere as I will immediately crash on the attempt. Hopefully this will fix that.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

50 Foot Ant posted:

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=44204

That's the one. I played for almost 3 hours straight, not a single crash, and I've got all kinds of goofy mods loaded up.

Just be warned that this can actually cause an increase in crashes due to mod conflicts, the idea of fixing mod crashes by adding more mods to the game is flawed to say the least. It would probably work on certain mod configurations though so it's worth trying to see what happens to your stability.

Personally, the mod made hoover dam unplayable for me. Not sure what the conflict was with but I think it might be interior lighting overhaul.

Shadley Puffin
Aug 13, 2011

DOWN WITH GRAVITY

SheepNameKiller posted:

Just be warned that this can actually cause an increase in crashes due to mod conflicts, the idea of fixing mod crashes by adding more mods to the game is flawed to say the least. It would probably work on certain mod configurations though so it's worth trying to see what happens to your stability.

Personally, the mod made hoover dam unplayable for me. Not sure what the conflict was with but I think it might be interior lighting overhaul.

Well, yeah, isn't it mostly for Vanilla or lightly modded Vanilla? I've got base+dlc+some lighting & weapons mods and it helped with some fast travel CTDs I'd been having.

It would be great, though, if a community bugfix could become a required base for all the best mods... plus I'd like a pony - an armored Li'l Sebastian that can fire Mini Nukes.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I have an extremely important question.

Why does my data files menu look like this.

edit: oh, I thought this was the modding thread.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Oct 17, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Cowcaster posted:

I have an extremely important question.

Why does my data files menu look like this.

edit: oh, I thought this was the modding thread.

Don't use the built-in Data Files manager to control your plugins. It always ends up looking like a soup-sandwich because you can't rearrange the order of your mods, so everything is sort of haphazardly dumped into the window based either off of alphabetical order or "date created". Use FOMM instead.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I meant more why the thing doubled up the columns such that the text overlaps each other more than there being no particular order to the mods. I don't use enough mods for that to be an issue.

hairrorist
Mar 29, 2011
The answer stands either way. The built in data manager is a mess and will likely lead to problems.

Also:
For those looking for an interesting difficulty mod that does more than just jack hitpoints or add random trivial annoyances (I'm looking at Arwen there), try Harder than You: http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=43253.

My midgame geared hero is actually finding some challenge once again in the Mojahe, and it looks like it will scale well past 30.

It's really quite excellent.

hairrorist fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 18, 2011

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.
This might as well be the modding thread, seems half the posts are people promoting their favorite overpowered weapon mods.

CommanderCoffee
Feb 27, 2011

Ladies.
Can we just implement a rule that if you're gonna post a mod recommendation, you must precede it with 5 lines of discussion about something in the game proper?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

This game is so much fun, but when replaying it I'm finding that I almost prefer the DLC (OWB, HH, and LR - DM was good once but I never want to go back, ever. loving radios) to the main game. They're really nice and flavorful, plus focused so I am always doing something neat.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

No one gives a fuck about shit.
So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,
Cause shit's fucked anyway.
Shit is run in to the ground.

I don't wanna think about it,
I just wanna get down.
I just started an Energy Weapons playthrough and I'm having a lot of trouble finding ammo early. I've been using a Recharger Rifle as my main weapon because I just can't find enough drat Energy Cells to make use of my Plasma Defender :argh:

I just stole everything out of every locker in the Hidden Valley bunker which gave me a few hundred, but are there any shops that sell particularly large amounts of Energy Cells? Every shop I've seen only have like 15-20 in stock at any given time. The Silver Rush doesn't even have any at all for sale even though they're on the shelves on the wall. I could steal them by moving them in to another room and then looting but I'm trying to play through without using any glitches or exploits or cheats whatsoever.

I've never played Energy Weapons before or really even paid attention to where I found lots of energy ammo, OWB is the only place that I can think of but I'm currently only level 6 and I don't know if I could handle nightstalkers and roboscorpions yet. Especially since this is a combat-lite character and I've been relying on ED-E and Boone so far (since I can't find any drat energy cells :argh: )

Blunt Force Trauma fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Oct 18, 2011

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?

Arcturas posted:

This game is so much fun, but when replaying it I'm finding that I almost prefer the DLC (OWB, HH, and LR - DM was good once but I never want to go back, ever. loving radios) to the main game. They're really nice and flavorful, plus focused so I am always doing something neat.

I like the DLC for the tight direction you get, but I love just wandering the wastes fionding poo poo and attacking raider camps. I hope the next game expands on the whole wastes thing because there's something really cool about wandering blasted roads solo or with a new pal and discovering the world as you walk.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
How's the brush gun compare to, say, This Machine? I've never tried one because if I ever have a single round of .45-70 I disassemble it instantly for more rifle powder. I am always annoyed if I have .308 cases but not enough powder to turn it into more superbullets! I need them.

Then after a stint at the reloading bench I had enough lead to overencumber me.

I think I have an ammo problem...

Hand-Loader is the best/worst perk.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Blunt Force Trauma posted:

I just started an Energy Weapons playthrough and I'm having a lot of trouble finding ammo early. I've been using a Recharger Rifle as my main weapon because I just can't find enough drat Energy Cells to make use of my Plasma Defender :argh:

I just stole everything out of every locker in the Hidden Valley bunker which gave me a few hundred, but are there any shops that sell particularly large amounts of Energy Cells? Every shop I've seen only have like 15-20 in stock at any given time. The Silver Rush doesn't even have any at all for sale even though they're on the shelves on the wall. I could steal them by moving them in to another room and then looting but I'm trying to play through without using any glitches or exploits or cheats whatsoever.

I've never played Energy Weapons before or really even paid attention to where I found lots of energy ammo, OWB is the only place that I can think of but I'm currently only level 6 and I don't know if I could handle nightstalkers and roboscorpions yet. Especially since this is a combat-lite character and I've been relying on ED-E and Boone so far (since I can't find any drat energy cells :argh: )

Its pretty easy to be swimming in energy ammo early on if you know where to look. Some early tips:

-Obvious, but buy all energy weapon ammo from every merchant you can find.
-In the Yangtze Memorial east of Goodsprings, there are three graves. Two are empty and one always has a decent EW weapon and some ammo.
-If you can get a recharger rifle or pistol early on, sell your laser pistol, use that and convert all your energy cells to microfusion cells. Anything that's enough of a bitch to die from a laser pistol will die from the recharger weapons.
-Vigilant Recycler is a Level 6 perk that should be grabbed pretty much right off the bat (if you're doing an EW run without also boosting Science, reroll).
-Trips into fiend territory will yield some pretty good hauls. I killed some random fiend chick and she had over 100 MF cells :aaa:

Also, if you own GRA, whenever you can afford to spend 11k caps, buy the MFBreeder Alpha from Cliff Briscoe in Novac. Its absurdly overpowered, a holdout weapon, and pretty much the best energy pistol in the game.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Blunt Force Trauma posted:

The Silver Rush sells energy cells.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.
There is almost always a recharger pistol (or maybe it's a recharger rifle) in the Goodsprings Cave, on the body of a Bright follower.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

SeanBeansShako posted:

The Silver Rush sells energy cells.

They actually don't sell that many in their inventory, but they have a bunch of little 20-packs of them laying around the store to be pilfered.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

YggiDee posted:

How's the brush gun compare to, say, This Machine? I've never tried one because if I ever have a single round of .45-70 I disassemble it instantly for more rifle powder. I am always annoyed if I have .308 cases but not enough powder to turn it into more superbullets! I need them.

I mentioned this in a post earlier but their are one of the best overall guns in the game. They count for the Cowboy Perk:

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Brush_gun

There is a unique GR variant:

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Medicine_Stick_%28GRA%29

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Also, if you have some science skill you can convert other energy weapon ammo to Energy Cells. Vigilant Recycler makes you recover spent ammo and adds better recycling recipes. If you have OWB and upgraded Muggy, he gives 50 Energy Cells each day and you can talk to the one of the doctors in the think-tank provided that you let them live gives you 50 energy cells aswell (some science related check might be necessary).

If you are Idolized (or Liked iirc) with BoS, they'll dump energy cells to a footlocker at the patrol chamber right after the entrace, it is huge and sparkly one so you can't miss it.

ED-E can craft some each day if you can find the related upgrade at Lonesome Road. If all else fails, look for "Ammo Box, Energy Cell-Bulk" from merchants (i think Chet at goodsprings supply these regularly) but Bulk ammo makes your weapon cry with pain each shot.

Actually, unless you shot yourself in the foot by installing "less of everything" mod, you should be swimming in Max Charged energy cells just by having a trip across vendors and Big MT.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

YggiDee posted:

Solution: Sierra Madre Vending Machines. Virtually infinite free .308 rounds. There's even a reloading bench right next to it.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

As always I recommend discovering the RepConn HQ as soon as possible (the one south of Freeside, not near Novac). Once you clean that place out you'll be set on energy weapon ammo for life.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Oct 18, 2011

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

Solution: Sierra Madre Vending Machines. Virtually infinite free .308 rounds. There's even a reloading bench right next to it.

That was the first thing I did when I finished Dead Money, I crawled out of the Sierra Madre with 3000 rounds. My problem isn't so much about not having enough ammo, it's that when I turn it all into JSP I'll have a bunch of .308 cases left over, because JSP costs more rifle powder than I get from breaking it down. It smacks of inefficiency. It's like ammo OCD or something.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Cowcaster posted:

As always I recommend discovering the RepConn HQ as soon as possible (the one south of Freeside, not near Novac). Once you clean that place out you'll be set on energy weapon ammo for life.

The energy weapon you find in there lasted me the first third/half of the game, too.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Talking about Hand Loader, one thing I just discovered is that Lead has a weight value. If you have several thousand lead units (which can happen pretty quickly if you have hand loader) that can led to several pounds wasted of precious, precious inventory space.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
You know what the chainsaw needs, slashing animations and a loving silencer. It gets annoying running straight forward even if it does kill everything.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Talking about Hand Loader, one thing I just discovered is that Lead has a weight value. If you have several thousand lead units (which can happen pretty quickly if you have hand loader) that can led to several pounds wasted of precious, precious inventory space.

Old World Blues is really dangerous for this sort of thing, especially if you go out of your way to get things for The Sink. I brought back Muggy the spoils of war, broke down some ammo at the reloading bench, realized I could no longer run, and opened the inventory to find 50 wonderglue... and 43000 lead.
That's 60 lbs of lead :negative:

My next playthrough is going to be unarmed/melee, for my own sanity if nothing else.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9

YOURFRIEND posted:

I personally use vats because seeing people's heads explode/pop off in slow motion never gets old.

RING A DING DING BABY!

Strudel Man posted:

A few points:

1. That Gun uses 5.56mm ammo, not 5mm.
2. That Gun is a revolver.
3. A Light Shining In Darkness isn't a revolver.
4. What's wrong with you, FO:NV is basically a Western, use a revolver. Lever-action shotguns are also permissible.

Maybe I remember incorrectly but wasn't Honest Hearts supposed to add .45's into the games leveled lists and not just exist in the DLC? I haven't seen a single one in my new playthrough. I thought rope kid said that they added the ammo/weapons to the wasteland.

Kharmakazy posted:

You know what the chainsaw needs, slashing animations ]...] It gets annoying running straight forward even if it does kill everything.

The ripper suffers from this, as well. It still annoys me for some reason.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Syrant posted:

RING A DING DING BABY!

Maybe I remember incorrectly but wasn't Honest Hearts supposed to add .45's into the games leveled lists and not just exist in the DLC? I haven't seen a single one in my new playthrough. I thought rope kid said that they added the ammo/weapons to the wasteland.

I think they appear in the Mojave after you visit/complete Honest Hearts.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Node posted:

The energy weapon you find in there lasted me the first third/half of the game, too.

I'm actually kind of disappointed because while the Sprtel-Wood/Smitty Special from GRA are fun in a maniacal overkill hose sort of way, the the plain vanilla plasma caster followed by the Q-35 are still the best combination of economy/effectiveness in the game.

edit: Actually on further reflection, much better to have the best weapons already in the game, and powerful but inefficient guns regulated to the $4 premium elite. Comment retracted.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Oct 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.

Nostalgia4ColdWar fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Mar 31, 2017