Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Ok sandwich, will get on it

e: in the disclaimer text, there's a section that says

"The views and opinions made by Top Gear are not that of Turn 10 or Microsoft studios" hahaha

e2:

grande diabolik, greenflash7 and Cute as Heck have been added to SAEG.

Falken fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Oct 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Man, I don't even own the game and I find myself reading this thread often just to see the awesome liveries and tuning talk. One day I'll unbrick my 360, but circumstances mean it won't be anytime soon.

God I wish Forza was on PC.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

All this time I have been going to the main menu, community, storefront, designs, then enter in the make/model of my vehicle.

I only just found out, I can get there from my garage. Browse and pick a car, and pick buy a design or tune. So much faster.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
I really really like driving the NASCAR/stock cars on road courses, goddamn. I hope we can do some road course NASCAR funtimes, fellow SAEG members!

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

It's kind of impressive that they had no problems getting licensing for cars and brands that Jeremy Clarkson flat out insults, like his opinion on the Gumpert name, in Autovista. I'm glad his cheeky british humor remained intact.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Songbearer posted:

Man, I don't even own the game and I find myself reading this thread often just to see the awesome liveries and tuning talk. One day I'll unbrick my 360, but circumstances mean it won't be anytime soon.

God I wish Forza was on PC.

These days there are a handful of people off craigslist who fix xbox's for pretty drat cheap in most cases. Probably wouldnt hurt to email a couple and get a quote.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Falken posted:

Ok sandwich, will get on it

e: in the disclaimer text, there's a section that says

"The views and opinions made by Top Gear are not that of Turn 10 or Microsoft studios" hahaha

e2:

Hell yes son.

And of course my router drops the 360s connection when a download is almost done and corrupting it.

alr
May 14, 2009

Falken posted:

I really really like driving the NASCAR/stock cars on road courses, goddamn. I hope we can do some road course NASCAR funtimes, fellow SAEG members!

Yeah, I just had a crack at the NASCAR/Infineon Rivals challenge, I expected it to turn like a boat but it was surprisingly fun.

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!

alr posted:

Yeah, I just had a crack at the NASCAR/Infineon Rivals challenge, I expected it to turn like a boat but it was surprisingly fun.

The new handling model made stock cars a lot more agile, it seems. I remember them being incredibly stiff and unresponsive in F3 but now you can actually be aggressive with them and not worry about getting flung into a safety rail as punishment.

PeppysDilz
Oct 9, 2011

ChocNitty posted:

It's kind of impressive that they had no problems getting licensing for cars and brands that Jeremy Clarkson flat out insults, like his opinion on the Gumpert name, in Autovista. I'm glad his cheeky british humor remained intact.

You figure those same car manufacturers send cars to Top Gear at their expense to be ridiculed. Probably two, and some extra tires, and in some cases a factory mechanic.

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!

PeppysDilz posted:

You figure those same car manufacturers send cars to Top Gear at their expense to be ridiculed. Probably two, and some extra tires, and in some cases a factory mechanic.

Not to mention most of the supercars that get ridiculed by Top Gear are very rare in number and were all probably spoken for long before they were even built, let alone tested.

Plus Clarkson himself even said that any opinions he holds shouldn't ever be taken seriously. The only difference between him and the rest of us car nerds is that he actually gets to drive super expensive cars before calling them total rubbish.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

If we got DLC that added more Group B rally cars and Group C LeMans cars I would poo poo my pants.

In Forza 3 were the DLC's awesome or ho-hum?

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Finally figured out how to upload the photos and get them off the internet. Meet my Mintberry Crrrrrrrrrunch Audi A4 Touring. It's tuned like poo poo right now, still working on that

Green Flash
Feb 7, 2003

Bustin' Steve Austin

Falken posted:

Lovely, cheers. Will be on later.

blodycoughbynewport
Oct 26, 2008

Sponsored by Big tobacco!

Falken posted:

To show my appreciation I added the first of many LMP1 cars to the garage :keke:

quackman
Jan 25, 2004
Chapstick

crazkylo posted:

So I am curious, are there any bonuses to driving with assists off (abs, traction control, Stability control, simulation steering) Like being able to corner better once you get how to down, or anything like that?

I remember reading in this thread a few pages back that driving manual with the clutch can help you actually go faster once you get the hang of it. Considering trying that out when I get home tonight.

Yup, all the assists come with their downsides that make you slower. The ABS kicks in too early; threshold braking without ABS means you can stop even faster. Same with traction and stability control--way too conservative. Even the racing line has its problems, chief among them your reliance on it rather than learning the track.

If you race with all of them on, I recommend turning them off one by one as you get used to them. Try getting rid of skid and traction control first or the racing line.
I only just stopped using ABS and manual without clutch with the Forza 4 demo. It took a while to get used to manual+clutch for me and I almost gave up on it a few times... but eventually I got used to it and it certainly helps you go faster than a lesser setting.

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I got pretty sick of the driving aides in Gran Turismo. Just don't alternate between flooring it and slamming on the brakes all the goddamn time like the little tutorials would have you do, and your reward will be the ability to "turn" around "corners" and a game that's actually challenging and fun

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008
Speaking of assists, are there any news regarding the apparent non-linear mapping of steering input when using wheels? Over-correcting slides because Forza thinks it needs to help me with increased steering sensitivity on counter-steering is getting quite old.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

djfooboo posted:

If we got DLC that added more Group B rally cars and Group C LeMans cars I would poo poo my pants.

In Forza 3 were the DLC's awesome or ho-hum?

Would love more Group C Le Mans cars. Forza 4 only has one. Forza 3 had one from Porsche. :(

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Captain Hair posted:

I'm workin' on it, drat tricky given the teeth though.

Yessss, can I get a version when done please? :D

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the eye

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

That was a hell of a finish. A .001 second difference, I have the replay saved.

GISH races tonight were good fun, though the amount of ramming near the end of the night became seriously annoying, because a lot of them were clearly not accidents. I had a few collisions with Kadd, but they were mostly just loving up a line or something, and that's no big, but 3 out of the last 4 races I was t-boned full speed on the first corner by the same guy. Brake early, reenter safely (and not by swinging across the entire width of the track), and don't cut in tight on a faster car's lane. I had a few races where Lasagna and I were conceding turns, getting out of each others ways during certain parts since one was faster, etc. and it was a blast to have a proper race.

haha I'd love to see a bigshot of the finish line if you get a chance

I never hit anyone on purpose but I do recall accidentally taking a couple people out during those S and above class races because those cars are so twitchy with all the assists off. Its more fun to have a full field of slower vehicles vying for position all game.

ROOMBA floorvac
Aug 21, 2004

Al Harrington posted:

haha I'd love to see a bigshot of the finish line if you get a chance

I never hit anyone on purpose but I do recall accidentally taking a couple people out during those S and above class races because those cars are so twitchy with all the assists off. Its more fun to have a full field of slower vehicles vying for position all game.

I somehow managed to get hosed over EVERY race. But it was a lot of fun. :3:

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day

Pees With Boner posted:

I got pretty sick of the driving aides in Gran Turismo. Just don't alternate between flooring it and slamming on the brakes all the goddamn time like the little tutorials would have you do, and your reward will be the ability to "turn" around "corners" and a game that's actually challenging and fun

Or all the license challenges with such strict time requirements that it forces you to push a car to its absolute limit, when that car is horribly modeled in the game (Stingray), or when the challenge is designed to highlight a massive handling issue of that car (decreasing-radius turn right after a fast chicane in an MR). Can I go race a 1970s muscle car against a Veyron now please?

I sort of wish Forza didn't have the R-class except as a space for ridiculously modded cars. I don't care if I ever race an LMP again. World Tour is very nearly to the point of letting me play this game how I want to, but it needs the extra little kick that I'd prefer to just block out certain classes of race altogether.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Sunday Punch,
Can you link some of the better advice posts in this thread in the first or second post? Specifically stuff related to handling the corners and such, as well as tuning.

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!

quackman posted:

Yup, all the assists come with their downsides that make you slower. The ABS kicks in too early; threshold braking without ABS means you can stop even faster. Same with traction and stability control--way too conservative. Even the racing line has its problems, chief among them your reliance on it rather than learning the track.

If you race with all of them on, I recommend turning them off one by one as you get used to them. Try getting rid of skid and traction control first or the racing line.
I only just stopped using ABS and manual without clutch with the Forza 4 demo. It took a while to get used to manual+clutch for me and I almost gave up on it a few times... but eventually I got used to it and it certainly helps you go faster than a lesser setting.

I am currently racing with everything off except ABS, and am using manual no clutch. Going to try some races without ABS today, I can see it now. I'm going to power on the break and go sliding off the track.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Brake! Sorry, it really bugs me and I've been seeing it over and over in this thread.

Day Man fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Oct 18, 2011

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I finished my Retro Bud King Corvette last night. Faster than greased hog spit.

hreple
Feb 11, 2006
hardly
Would love to join SAEG if possible.
Gamertag: hreple

Just recieved my Fanatec-stuff, and was delighted to see the new CSR-E-pedals not at ALL fitting my old as hell Playseat metal plate. After a bit of searching and much cursing at the tv, roof and everything else I came across some german gentleman actually making upgraded metal plates for you to mount to your seat-frame and ones that fit the CSR-E pedals.
He also makes an adapter to mount the Fanatec shifter to the Playseat.
Link here: http://www.x-cpo.de/

I'd consider this a must if you run playseat-gear and fanatec-wheels etc. I just tried the shifter-setup for the first time when plugged into the wheel (with the metal rods) and it feels flimsy as hell.

Anyhow - hoping for an invite. Would be fun to race with goons.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
drat it is hard to drive the Chevy Volt with manual shifting... you have to keep a constant eye on the tach instead of the road.

Highest Cactus
Jul 25, 2007

News: Mysterious illegal cookies seized. "Tastes terrible," says police.

crazkylo posted:

I am currently racing with everything off except ABS, and am using manual no clutch. Going to try some races without ABS today, I can see it now. I'm going to power on the break and go sliding off the track.

Driving with no ABS isnt as bad as it seems. It forced me to figure out how to brake better and actually made me more controlled through turns instead of just mashing it and praying. Pay attention to your tire squeal, that's a huge indicator of when you're losing a lot of grip. And don't be afraid to let off the brakes just a little to keep under control. It might mean the difference between going wide into a corner or losing all your traction and careening off into a sand trap.

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

Logged in to see a friend beat me in the Top Gear rivals event. Thought I'd watch his replay to see where he made the time.

:stare: The swine!

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Pees With Boner posted:

Finally figured out how to upload the photos and get them off the internet. Meet my Mintberry Crrrrrrrrrunch Audi A4 Touring. It's tuned like poo poo right now, still working on that

Ahahaha, this is awesome.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
Trip Report, Microsoft Wireless Speed Wheel:

It takes some getting used to, but that was to be expected. I went simulation steering, ABS brakes, traction/stability on, because I am a big gay baby. After a few hours of fiddling last night, I'm getting the hang of it! Much easier to hold a line around a long turn than with the controller. The key is small, slow, controlled movements. Flailing the wheel around wildly leads to disaster. The triggers are longer, meaning more control on your brakes and gas instead of the bipolar "FLOOR IT VRRRROOOOO...OH poo poo STOMP BRAKES" I was doing with the controller. I've stuck with AWD cars for the moment, I tried to hop into that classic Chevy Stingray and spun out early and often in magnificent fashion. All things considered, I like it and will continue to play like this. So long as I have a left hand drive car. Right hand drive makes me all :psyduck: when I try to use that sweet cockpit view.

Anybody got the same gay fire I do for hatchbacks? That '08 Golf GTi is tits on wheels. Much less twitch than the hatchback WRX. I am sad that the WRX is not faster or more nimble in the loose dirt than on the blacktop. It's a rally car! But I do see why that would be terrible for game balance.

E- Has Forza ever done rally tracks? Would love to scream up pikes peak.

DrPain fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Oct 18, 2011

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

BlazeKinser posted:

Also, I just now noticed that if you select the season progress option it gives you a list of all the tracks you'll be racing at in that season

Hmm where abouts is this option, can't seem to find it anywhere.

e- no matter, I was trying to see it at the start of a new season. Found it now after the first race :)

andyf fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 18, 2011

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

Sorry I was ignoring invites last night (GT: Eperitus). I tried to join the first time, and it appears I'm having NAT issues. Once I get that fixed I'll be ready to race.

How important are people finding tire pressure? I kind of ignored it in 3 (maybe to my detriment) but I'm wondering if its going to make a bigger difference with the new tire modeling.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
How often does Turn 10 plan on releasing new car DLCs? Because there are far too few Lamborghini Aventadors in this game.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

10 cars a month for at least 6 months, maybe 12 months.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Should I buy that season pass if I bought the ltd edition? How much will I save?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

When Turn-10 announced the season pass, they said it would include 60 new cars, and it's $30. Fantastic deal in my opinion, unless someone can find a flaw in that. Hopefully some of that includes new tracks too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

A5H posted:

Should I buy that season pass if I bought the ltd edition? How much will I save?

Season Pass and limited edition are irrelevant to each other.

Do you want DLC cars?
Do you want to pay for 6 months worth of DLC - not knowing what the cars are - ahead of time?

You can buy cars individually now too.

I got the Season Pass because I'm a whore.

• Locked thread