Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

smuh posted:

Oh my god I didn't even know you could backstab the armored boar in Parish, I did that with a spear and now I feel kinda sick.

Seriously the dude just plunges his entire spear into that poor animals rear end, jesus christ

I should try that with one of the fist weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I think PG/WoS/WoW increase matching within the group, not sure if it's with everyone. You probably should have stated more clearly that Warrior of Sunlight is the best covenant for the best people.

Chaos Servant unlocks a pathway which is really, really good to have. Also the spells rock face.

Warp: best thing in the game?

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

Tiggy Sawdust posted:

So if the shield has an attack when equipped to the right arm, does that mean it's theoretically possible to do a run where you dual wield shields?

Not only can you dual wield shields, you can dual wield Havel's shield on NG+.

Max Endurance and Resistance. Equip Havel's Armor, Havel's Ring, Ring of Steel Protection, and two Havel's shields. "gently caress YOU, I'M NOT DYING! EVER!"

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 18, 2011

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!
Do divine weapons do their divine component to non-undead monsters? It just doesn't seem like they do, at all.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
RoFaP is 20% endurance load. That means I would have...not nearly enough. I want to wear Havel's gloves, they give me some much needed poise. :saddowns:

Also, to answer my own question, you might need to reload to get the sigil for Dusk of Oolacile to reappear. She also teaches proper bow which is pretty awesome to be honest.

Slacker Ace
Oct 30, 2010

DannyH posted:

This is how i did it, i know that most people wont have the Crystal Ring Shield for this. Shoot them with an arrow to pull them in and from one of those roots in a safe area you can two shot them with the energy attack from the shield. You can also run into one of the towers and do the same.

Lost Izalith is not really that big of a deal once you realize that the dragon rear end things can hurt each other. You can literally just round up a bunch of them and only one will be left standing after a couple seconds.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Mordiceius posted:

So what Covenants did you all pick?

Am I missing anything?

Gravelord Servant, while an awesome concept, does not loving work at all I swear. I regret even joining it and not even being a Faith build.

Also it has one of the rarest items in the game as a consumable.

Something you might want to note is that Knights and Clerics start in Way of the White.

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.
What's the Souvenir of Reprisal?

Also, what happened to the original Black Knight class? Was it just an overpowered one for people to use during expo demos?

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!

Elysiume posted:

RoFaP is 20% endurance load. That means I would have...not nearly enough. I want to wear Havel's gloves, they give me some much needed poise. :saddowns:

As long as you keep yourself under 50%, don't worry... unless you absolutely have to have the best flip.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Mordiceius posted:

Am I missing anything?

The "alignments" are all flavor that don't have in-game effects, someone just plotted the nine Covenants onto an old-fashioned D&D alignment chart.

Warriors of Sunlight give out Sunlight Medals and appear as golden phantoms regardless of level. The first two miracles (Lightning Spear which you get for joining, Great Lightning Spear for ranking to +1) can be cast by your character even if they leave the Covenant; the third can only be obtained in NG+ since it requires the final boss's soul, and does require being in the Covenant to cast.

Darkwraiths get a permanent, non-consumable Red Stone at +1 that you can use to invade as long as you stay a Darkwraith. The stone does not go away if you leave the Covenant but it does become unusable.

Chaos Servants get a nice Pyromancy just for joining and a second Pyromancy at +2. +2 Servants can also open a secret door that works as a shortcut into Lost Izalith, bypassing 2 bosses and the jumping demons, and also allows you to save an NPC that is otherwise destined for death.

Forest Hunter gets the Ring of Fog after three successful Forest invasions by talking to Alvina

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Houdini posted:

What's the Souvenir of Reprisal?

The token rank up item for the Blade of the Darkmoon Covenant

Tainted Ham
Apr 19, 2009
Concerning the Dark Wraiths, I heard joining them gives you what is considered the bad ending..

Can anyone confirm this? Don't want anything given away so just a yes or no would be great.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Psyker posted:

As long as you keep yourself under 50%, don't worry... unless you absolutely have to have the best flip.
Nah, I'd be at 57%. Elite Knight helm and tunic, Havel's gauntlets, and an Antiquated skirt. That's also if I'm not using my Furysword, i.e., I have an empty slot. Using the Furysword (in addition to my claymore) gets me to 45.2/90.0. 50.2%. :qq:

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Zebrasectomy posted:

Concerning the Dark Wraiths, I heard joining them gives you what is considered the bad ending..

Can anyone confirm this? Don't want anything given away so just a yes or no would be great.

It doesn't affect the ending.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

Elysiume posted:

Also, to answer my own question, you might need to reload to get the sigil for Dusk of Oolacile to reappear. She also teaches proper bow which is pretty awesome to be honest.

It felt customary to bow to my summoner (or minions) on arrival. Now I Proper Bow and they don't know what the gently caress half the time. :haw:

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Mordiceius posted:

I'm playing Warriors of Sunlight because I love doing co-op on boss fights and because Solaire is my homeboy.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
^^: Exact same reasons, actually. I barely get summoned nowadays, though.

doomfunk posted:

It felt customary to bow to my summoner (or minions) on arrival. Now I Proper Bow and they don't know what the gently caress half the time. :haw:
I feel so classy. They do their half-assed bow and then I drop some mad style on them. I've been getting no summons, though, and the one guy who summoned me got 2-shotted by Iron Golem. Why are you wearing Shadow Armor, guy? That armor is bad!

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Soul level 87 and I'm waiting outside the Iron Golem for some summon signs on my NG+. WHERE IS EVERYONE?!

Ohh wait, there's someone actually. Woo hoo. Finally.

Edit: Summoning Failed!

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Elysiume posted:

Why are you wearing Shadow Armor, guy? That armor is bad!

You know the typical person playing games like these will want to be as ninja-like as possible. It's called Shadow Armor.

Do the math.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

smuh posted:

Oh my god I didn't even know you could backstab the armored boar in Parish, I did that with a spear and now I feel kinda sick.

Seriously the dude just plunges his entire spear into that poor animals rear end, jesus christ

In light of this, you will encounter armored boars later on whose butt is armored :3:

PKJC
May 7, 2009

Hamburger Test posted:

2: Gold Hemmed Robes, ugh I think I may have to try to copy twilight's* method, but I'm not as talented and I don't have the Drake Sword because the dragon bugged out on me.

*The speedrun guy.

This part is much easier than you'd think. After you grab the robes, wait for him to toss the lava up in front of you, then run past, allllll the way to the fog gate and stand as far into the corner as you can. Equip whatever attacks fastest/uses least stamina. Once he makes his way over, he slams his fist down but won't hit you, run up and smack his fist 8 times. Watch all his health drain away.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Elysiume posted:

I feel so classy. They do their half-assed bow and then I drop some mad style on them. I've been getting no summons, though, and the one guy who summoned me got 2-shotted by Iron Golem. Why are you wearing Shadow Armor, guy? That armor is bad!

I used black leather or shadow armor for like 90% of the game :colbert:

Until I realized I had been over 25% encumbered the whole time, put on havel's ring and rocked some +6 steel or gold hemmed when I needed resistances and no poise.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

PKJC posted:

This part is much easier than you'd think. After you grab the robes, wait for him to toss the lava up in front of you, then run past, allllll the way to the fog gate and stand as far into the corner as you can. Equip whatever attacks fastest/uses least stamina. Once he makes his way over, he slams his fist down but won't hit you, run up and smack his fist 8 times. Watch all his health drain away.

Oh that part is easy, I don't even care about killing it - I just need the armor. It's getting there I'm worried about.

Cinroth
Dec 11, 2008

Has it never occured
to you that this club
is overpopulated?

apple posted:

In light of this, you will encounter armored boars later on whose butt is armored :3:

So that's why I couldn't stab them!! Damnit from!!

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
Yeah, those 2 boars at the entrance to the Duke's Archive were a pain in the rear end. Didn't have any pyromancy to work with so meleeing them took a long, long time.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Vatek posted:

Yeah, those 2 boars at the entrance to the Duke's Archive were a pain in the rear end. Didn't have any pyromancy to work with so meleeing them took a long, long time.

Alluring Skulls. That is all.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4
With those vargant armour monster things, is there any way you can tell if something you've dropped has invaded another world? Do you get a message or anything? And does it have to be specific items you drop? I dropped a full armour set and a weapon and shield before, dno't know if that makes a difference.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Well it might have been my own stupidity, but come to find out that the Red Eye Orb can only be used if you're in the covenant of the Darkwraiths? I was kinda hoping for just an invasion tool with no strings attached. Also is the 4K's souls used for any item?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Count Bleck posted:

Alluring Skulls. That is all.
What exactly do those do?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Me at 10:30 AM: Yay, my Dark Souls guide shows up today! It's been forever since I've indulged in a little retail therapy for poo poo I don't need!

*Picks up busted cardboard box from mail room, book is entirely warped with broken front & back cover*

:reject:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Elysiume posted:

The exact same thing Soul Remains did, distract enemies so you can get an easy backstab or avoid them altogether.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

Elysiume posted:

You throw them like firebombs and they lure enemies for a short time.

ericthebear
Mar 4, 2011

Elysiume posted:

Its so pretty! My rear end in a top hat SL 11 Darkwraith uses Shadow Armor, poise/resists are for pussies. Always pays to kill newbs and be stylish at the same time. On the other hand, my Warrior of Sunlight melee/pyro just got to a point where he can use Giant chest, Havel's gaunts/legs/helm, rocking Eagle Shield +15 and Quelaag's Furysword, also looks pretty good. All golden and huge, putting down the summoned rape on S&O. I like the model for Havel's legs the best, too bad the chest armor graphic isn't that great. I hosed up and killed Smough first or I'd be wearing pieces of that ugly rear end poo poo.

Edit: Also backstabbing the unbuttarmored boars is the best if you are using a fist weapon :huh:

ericthebear fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 18, 2011

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Count Bleck posted:

The exact same thing Soul Remains did, distract enemies so you can get an easy backstab or avoid them altogether.

Vatek posted:

You throw them like firebombs and they lure enemies for a short time.
Can I get aggro back, or will they 100% hold aggro for their duration?

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Beat Centipede Demon and Bed of Chaos last night. The first one was really easy, but gently caress having to jump in the middle of a boss fight, that ended up being the majority of my deaths in the second fight.

Apathetic Artist
Dec 23, 2010
Has anybody been able to successfully and consistently summon a friend of yours? Last night a friend and I started two new characters, brought them to the same level(6), got our white soapstones and headed to the undead parish to hopefully hookup and co-op together. I became human and he layed his sign in a place we'd both agreed upon. I'd read elsewhere that replacing your sign every thirty seconds might cycle the server you're on, which after so many tries, his sign should pop up on my end. After an hour or so, we gave up, thinking we'd never be able to trick the game in to allowing us to play together.

What sucks, is I know other groups of people seem to achieve this so easily. For a few days when I would be summoned to defend the forest, it would be the same two guys working together. This was over many days that I saw the same pair and I kicked their rear end each time, but somehow they'd be together again twenty minutes later when I'd get summoned. I hate how it seems some people are easily working together with their friends, when I can't achieve it!

Edit: We also joined the "way of the white" covenant, hoping it would bring us closer on the network!

Mr. WTF
Jun 12, 2003

I DON'T GET JOKES
If you had a +10 Scimitar...would you take it into lightning +4 or 5 or whatever or Queelag it and make it the fury sword and take that up? What is more effective?

I'm a dex/end/vit build.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Mr. WTF posted:

If you had a +10 Scimitar...would you take it into lightning +4 or 5 or whatever or Queelag it and make it the fury sword and take that up? What is more effective?

I'm a dex/end/vit build.

Make it the furysword. Lightning is pretty nice, but the fury sword scales pretty nicely with dex once you get it up to +5.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Vatek posted:

Boars die almost instantly to being stabbed in the butt (you can backstab them).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Heavy neutrino posted:

Boars die almost instantly to being stabbed in the butt (you can backstab them).

The ones in the Archive specifically have armored butts and can't be backstabbed.

• Locked thread