Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.

Doc Faustus posted:

Don't buy that one from monoprice, unless you like hearing a popping sound followed by a burning smell.

Kindle Fire™

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

feigning interest posted:

Kindle Fire™

well I haven't had a problem with the two of them that I bought in the past. I figure you can get bad cheap chinese electronics for anything you get really. Or you can get the stuff from the good batch I guess.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Telex posted:

well I haven't had a problem with the two of them that I bought in the past. I figure you can get bad cheap chinese electronics for anything you get really. Or you can get the stuff from the good batch I guess.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that when you can get a 1A charger like that from a Palm Pre or whatever, that will work with most other devices besides iPhones for a couple bucks already, why risk the no-name crap in the first place?

Kupo!
Sep 14, 2009

Just follow me through this wall, I can show you things
no mortal eyes were meant
to see.

Alright, this is a bit of a longshot, but I'll ask:

Is there any way to get cat dander and allergens off a Kindle and its case?

I got a like new Kindle Keyboard 3G+ Wifi with Amazon Lighted Case for a great price off the Amazon Marketplace. It came in, looked fine, worked fine. It shipped with some animal hairs on the screen, I removed them and thought nothing of it... until my eyes started itching and I got a headache while reading it.

I emailed the seller and he owned up to having a cat, but claimed he "kept electronics in a room away from the cat." I guess he didn't know allergens can be airborne? :downs:

Amazon told me to wipe them down (hasn't helped much) and I've tried vacuuming it (only marginally more effective). I still get a headache when using it. I'd like to avoid getting into a fight with the seller about returning it and I would rather not go back to my Kindle 2. The screen on the Keyboard is so much better in the low light conditions at my work. Ideas? Threads in PI I should check out?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Wow, that's an interesting question.

I would think thorough vacuuming with a fuckoff-powerful vacuum like a Shop Vac would do the trick. Maybe also wipe down with a slightly-damp cloth.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

Wark posted:

Alright, this is a bit of a longshot, but I'll ask:

Is there any way to get cat dander and allergens off a Kindle and its case?

I got a like new Kindle Keyboard 3G+ Wifi with Amazon Lighted Case for a great price off the Amazon Marketplace. It came in, looked fine, worked fine. It shipped with some animal hairs on the screen, I removed them and thought nothing of it... until my eyes started itching and I got a headache while reading it.

I emailed the seller and he owned up to having a cat, but claimed he "kept electronics in a room away from the cat." I guess he didn't know allergens can be airborne? :downs:

Amazon told me to wipe them down (hasn't helped much) and I've tried vacuuming it (only marginally more effective). I still get a headache when using it. I'd like to avoid getting into a fight with the seller about returning it and I would rather not go back to my Kindle 2. The screen on the Keyboard is so much better in the low light conditions at my work. Ideas? Threads in PI I should check out?

I regularly wipe mine down with one of those little alcohol wipes like you can get for cleaning off your eyeglasses - it's great for cleaning the screen, and it helps kill any germs and junk that might track on it from your hands. I don't know if that'll kill allergens but the alcohol should help lift some of it off at least?

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

sirbeefalot posted:

Personally, I'm of the opinion that when you can get a 1A charger like that from a Palm Pre or whatever, that will work with most other devices besides iPhones for a couple bucks already, why risk the no-name crap in the first place?

My Amazon Kindle charger is .85 amps.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

BrainParasite posted:

My Amazon Kindle charger is .85 amps.

Power supply current ratings need to meet or exceed the draw of the device. If a Kindle pulls .85 amps, then you can plug it into a 1 amp charger just fine.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Drunk Tomato posted:

I think, since the Kindle lasts like 5 million hours on a single charge, its almost a moot point because you will, at some point, have access to a computer and will be able to use the USB charger.

Well, I'm pretty lazy about charging it, and it has happened a few times when I was reading in bed and I had to charge it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
OP (finally) updated, if anyone sees any errors please let me know.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

^^ Sony has a new 6" reader that's probably gonna replace the pocket and touch editions if you want to update that section.

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/st...384231#features

ghableska
Jul 9, 2008
Does the new Kindle Touch still offer "experimental" web browsing over WiFi?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

ghableska posted:

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that both versions will not have the browser installed. Which is sad, because the experience would be so much better on a touch screen. My guess is that they are slowly going to phase it out of their e-ink devices since it doesn't really work that good. I wouldn't be surprised to see them disable it on the older devices when they come out with the next firmware update.

In their minds, you should be getting a Kindle Fire if web browsing is important to you. (And I would have jumped all over a Fire if they had a freaking version with 3G. Was it really that hard/costly to implement dammit! :argh:)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cartoon Man posted:

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that both versions will not have the browser installed. Which is sad, because the experience would be so much better on a touch screen. My guess is that they are slowly going to phase it out of their e-ink devices since it doesn't really work that good. I wouldn't be surprised to see them disable it on the older devices when they come out with the next firmware update.

Not true. Amazon DID say that the Kindle Touch can't browse on 3G (except for Wikipedia and the Amazon Store).

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

ghableska posted:

the new non-touch Kindle has it, so I can't imagine the Touch not having it.

pain in the rear end to type without a keyboard so I will almost never use it over my phone but hey.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

ghableska posted:

Here's the official word from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-f...#MxIT1OGTA35WG1

Basically, if you have a 3g model and want more than Wikipedia, hook that poo poo up to wifi.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Maneki Neko posted:

Basically, if you have a 3g kindle touch model and want more than Wikipedia, hook that poo poo up to wifi.

Or get a 3G kindle keyboard

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Amazon finally allows last-page-read in your own personal documents! I got this e-mail:

quote:

Dear Kindle Customer,

As a past user of the Kindle Personal Documents Service, we are pleased to let you know about some improvements:
• Your documents are now automatically archived in your Kindle library (you can control this from the Manage Your Kindle page at https://www.amazon.com/manageyourkindle).
• Archived documents can be re-downloaded from your archive to the all-new Kindle and Kindle Touch devices, as well as Kindle Keyboard (Kindle 3rd Generation--requires the latest software update v3.3 from https://www.amazon.com/kindlesoftwareupdates) – you will be able to find and download your documents from any of these devices that are registered to your account.
• Now (just as with Kindle books) Whispersync automatically synchronizes your last page read, bookmarks and annotations for your documents (with the exception of PDFs) across devices.

Of course it's not available for me, because I only have a 2nd generation Kindle, but hey! Good news for everybody else!

Read more: https://www.amazon.com/kindlepersonaldocuments

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe

hope and vaseline posted:

^^ Sony has a new 6" reader that's probably gonna replace the pocket and touch editions if you want to update that section.

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/st...384231#features

I love my Sony Touch, and would only upgrade to another Sony, at this point. But I'm not seeing any actual upgraded specs other than a rebranding... Does this one have, like, a "better" e-ink screen or something?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

It looks like a minor upgrade. Seems to be thinner and lighter than the previous models, aside from that some new software features (the direct library borrow looks pretty nice).

But mostly I think it's purpose is to consolidate the 5" and 6" readers at a price point that's more competitive than B+N/Amazon's offerings.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Quad posted:

I love my Sony Touch, and would only upgrade to another Sony, at this point. But I'm not seeing any actual upgraded specs other than a rebranding... Does this one have, like, a "better" e-ink screen or something?

Wifi support is the main difference. They knocked $150 off the RRP compared to what the Reader Touch launched at.

Also minor things like multiple libraries and multi-touch gestures.

hampig fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Oct 15, 2011

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.
Just got my Kindle keyboard with 3G and i'm quite excited.

Also just noticed that there was an update released for the Kindle 3 to version 3.3

Slashgear posted:

Those of you using the Kindle that Amazon is now calling the “Kindle Keyboard,” aka the Kindle 3, will be glad to hear that today there’s a software update out there that gives you access to Kindle Cloud for your personal documents.

Anyone tried it?

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
Works just like when you delete a book from your kindle you bought off amazon, still in the cloud to download again. Whats really nice is any mobi you send is now stored as well, which is pretty sweet.

They give you 5gb of space, but I wish there was a way to mass delete stuff.

pintle
Aug 3, 2007
to err is human, dear fez
I've been leaving my wifi on but it hasn't updated. Is there a different method for international kindles?

m0isty
Sep 7, 2007
Never knowingly underfed....

pintle posted:

I've been leaving my wifi on but it hasn't updated. Is there a different method for international kindles?

Try "sync and check for items" in the menu.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Sperg Victorious posted:

Works just like when you delete a book from your kindle you bought off amazon, still in the cloud to download again. Whats really nice is any mobi you send is now stored as well, which is pretty sweet.

They give you 5gb of space, but I wish there was a way to mass delete stuff.

That sounds pretty great, how do you get stuff on to there? The only way I know to put my own content on my Kindle is with USB.

Is Amazon fussy about what kind of documents your documents are? Can you use books you bought from other stores to keep them all in one place?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Arnold of Soissons posted:

That sounds pretty great, how do you get stuff on to there? The only way I know to put my own content on my Kindle is with USB.

Is Amazon fussy about what kind of documents your documents are? Can you use books you bought from other stores to keep them all in one place?

On the Amazon site you can set an email address for your Kindle, and set what email addresses are allowed to send documents there. This is to keep someone from trying to send monochrome Goatse to your Kindle.

The email service accepts Mobi, AZW, and TXT straight up for delivery. It will also convert .DOC, .HTML, .HTM, .RTF and PDF documents to Kindle format to send to the device.

If you have a Wifi only Kindle, sending is free. If you have a Wifi and 3G Kindle, it costs you 15 cents per megabyte for files delivered over 3G but free if delivered over Wifi. You can set a max charge limit of 0 in the email settings, this disables personal document delivery over 3G and forces it to wait for your Kindle to connect to Wifi so you won't pay (purcahsed Kindle books will still arrive over 3G with no extra charge).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/17/technology/amazon-rewrites-the-rules-of-book-publishing.html?_r=1&ref=technology

Amazon is trying to go direct to the writers.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
It's about loving time, there's no reason ebooks should cost almost the same as a physical copy. Next, we need this lawsuit to go somewhere (if it's true) to force book publishers to stop colluding and artificially raising the price of electronic copies.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Amazon are updating the Kindle version of Dance with Dragons to fix typos, which is pretty cool. Especially considering how irritating the random hyphens were. It's not quite hassle-free, you have to reply to an email with the word "yes", presumably because of the fuss they've caused in the past by editing people's books without consent.

I know it's relatively basic... patching something in this day and age, but I still think it's neat.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
So does this new Kindle update mean that Project Gutenberg books I send to XXX@free.kindle.com gets back up to the cloud/Whispersync?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

GigaPeon posted:

So does this new Kindle update mean that Project Gutenberg books I send to XXX@free.kindle.com gets back up to the cloud/Whispersync?

I think you have to send them to @kindle.com instead, but that's free as long as you do wifi or force it to wifi by having a 0 dollar limit on fees.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
Should work on @free.kindle.com and @kindle.com

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Apparently, as long as you have a recent-ish jailbreak you can still update (your kindle)! That's good news, I'd hate to lose my custom screensavers.

Why can't that just be a standard feature :sigh:

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

bbcisdabomb posted:

Apparently, as long as you have a recent-ish jailbreak you can still update (your kindle)! That's good news, I'd hate to lose my custom screensavers.

Why can't that just be a standard feature :sigh:

It is on the Kindle 1!

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

trandorian posted:

On the Amazon site you can set an email address for your Kindle, and set what email addresses are allowed to send documents there. This is to keep someone from trying to send monochrome Goatse to your Kindle.

The email service accepts Mobi, AZW, and TXT straight up for delivery. It will also convert .DOC, .HTML, .HTM, .RTF and PDF documents to Kindle format to send to the device.

If you have a Wifi only Kindle, sending is free. If you have a Wifi and 3G Kindle, it costs you 15 cents per megabyte for files delivered over 3G but free if delivered over Wifi. You can set a max charge limit of 0 in the email settings, this disables personal document delivery over 3G and forces it to wait for your Kindle to connect to Wifi so you won't pay (purcahsed Kindle books will still arrive over 3G with no extra charge).

That's awesome, thanks!

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Barnes & Noble dropped the price of refurbished Nook Simple Touch / Nook Color to $79 / $149

http://stores.ebay.com/Barnes-and-Noble-Store

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Rastor posted:

Barnes & Noble dropped the price of refurbished Nook Simple Touch / Nook Color to $79 / $149

http://stores.ebay.com/Barnes-and-Noble-Store

Sweet, gonna grab a few for some christmas presents this year.

Anyone else have a rooted nook touch? Just tried it again today with the marketplace fix and it's running great. Trying out FBreader and Coolreader, CR has some really nice text formatting options. Lots of built in fonts, anti aliasing, font kerning, and a screen refresh update similar to the nook's built in reader, but customizable for a full screen refresh every page or in between a set amount of partial refresh page turns.

edit: all the fonts are actually the ones built into the nook along with a few hidden unused ones it seems, CR just scanned the hard drive for font files it seems. Anyway they actually look better on the app than the default reader software.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Oct 19, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

A Fistful of Owls posted:

The fact that the Kindle Fire doesn't have a microSD slot is really dumb. People are saying that you'll be allowed to use the amazon cloud which is all well and good unless you're like me and you're in places without wifi quite a bit.

I can't wait to see what B&N announces for the Nook Color 2.
You won't have to wait for the Nook 2

The $200 7" Android Tablet is becoming A Thing

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/19/kobo-quietly-launches-vox-android-tablet-with-7-inch-display-gi/

"Canadian retailer Future Shop gave us an accidental sneak peek at the tablet last week, but now Kobo is making Vox official, complete with a 7-inch 1024 x 600 resolution AFFS+ display with multi-touch, a 7-hour battery and 8 gigs of internal memory with support for up to 32GB of SD storage. The $200 tablet is running Android 2.3 Gingerbread, and is powered by an 800 MHz processor and 512MB of RAM. There's also a built-in speaker and 3.5mm headphone jack, 802.11 b/g/n WiFi and a variety of pre-loaded apps (naturally you'll have access to Android Market as well). Vox is listed as in-stock on Kobo's online store, though you'll have to wait until October 28th for yours to ship. It'll also be available at Best Buy and Fry's Electronics stores in the U.S., and Best Buy, Future Shop and Indigo in Canada."

Basically it looks just like the Kindle Fire but it has an SD card slot and Android buttons. On the downside the processor is unknown and clocked slower.