Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Zahi posted:

So I got myself stuck in the painted world with absolutely no desire to be there. Whats the easiest path out?
Go onward, ignore any of the tower doors. Cross the bridge and clear out that room, move ahead to the crumbled tower. Don't enter the tower but instead go left and cross the bridge enough to activate the zombie dragon. Run backwards and find a good spot to start sniping the dragon. Snipe dragon with bow/magic/w.e and take it down. Once killed move ahead and leap attack the "thing" that's there (this is the bug that lets you leave much earlier than you need to). After it raises, move ahead, drop down, sprint forward into boss room. Listen to boss rattle but don't attack, move passed her and drop down.

This is not the intended way to clear/leave the area, you're supposed to do a couple of extra steps that involve levers and other things. But it's the fastest way out if you want to save exploration for later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Count Bleck posted:

What? There's more than one type? Or do you mean bosses like Asylum Demon and Taurus Demon?
I meant the Asylum Demon and the fire version you fight in Demon Ruins or whatever the place's name was. They all have similar attacks and the same model so I think it's fair to basically call them different versions of the same boss :) Actually I think Asylum Demon is missing the AoE and shockwave attacks though.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Gazmachine posted:

Whoever designed the walk to the Four Kings battle is a loving shitcunt who needs to have a cockring put in and then sharply pulled out. By me.

I got to King Four then had a couple of lovely rounds, then got hit by a very quick exploding magic then magic grab combo on my latest attempt. Now I have to loving run all the way down ANOTHER time. Just stick a loving bonfire outside - I'm not doing anything except holding circle until I get there. Stupid and annoying.

Would you like a hint for Four Kings?

Slap on your heaviest armor, twohand your best weapon, hug a King and kill him, heal when necessary, proceed three more times. Their swing attacks do absolutely no damage when you're right next to them.

ColdCock
Jun 3, 2001

God's Hand

Blank Construct posted:

How do you get out of Anor Londo, and where's the strange doll hidden? I'm sitting at the bonfire just before O&S for reference.

You can warp out or just go back the way you came. The strange doll is in the cell that you originally started the game in.

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

Miles and miles of friends!

Blank Construct posted:

How do you get out of Anor Londo, and where's the strange doll hidden? I'm sitting at the bonfire just before O&S for reference.

You have to kill O&S to leave. The strange doll is in the cell where you start the game, you get it when you go back to the Asylum.

Stiggs fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Oct 19, 2011

more like FAILdows get it
Nov 19, 2007

punch a friend in the butt
I've been pondering this for a while: should I trade in my 360 version for a PS3 version? It's kind of depressing how empty the game is--there are barely any messages and ghosts, let alone summonable players and invaders. I know it's not me because I have interacted with other players before, it's just incredibly rare that I see them and equally rare that the summoning or invasion even succeeds. Is the PS3 version much better in this regard? I know there's a lot more players but does it feel like it? I'm a Demon's Souls vet so I really feel like I'm missing something major by rarely seeing or playing with other people. Will switching to the PS3 fix that or do the multiplayer problems everyone seems to be having neuter the experience anyway?

Donald Duck
Apr 2, 2007

Stiggs posted:

You have to kill O&S to leave.

You don't. Just go back to where you came in.

Donald Duck fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Oct 19, 2011

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Blank Construct posted:

The strange doll is back in the Asylum. You need to get to the huge crow's nest at firelink to get back there. Oh and to get out of Anor Londo, just go back to where you started and you'll get a prompt to talk to a pink gargoyle thing.

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
Alright, thanks.

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

Miles and miles of friends!

Donald Duck posted:

You don't. Just go back to where you came in.

Oh! I never actually though to try.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Pomale posted:

I've been pondering this for a while: should I trade in my 360 version for a PS3 version? It's kind of depressing how empty the game is--there are barely any messages and ghosts, let alone summonable players and invaders. I know it's not me because I have interacted with other players before, it's just incredibly rare that I see them and equally rare that the summoning or invasion even succeeds. Is the PS3 version much better in this regard? I know there's a lot more players but does it feel like it? I'm a Demon's Souls vet so I really feel like I'm missing something major by rarely seeing or playing with other people. Will switching to the PS3 fix that or do the multiplayer problems everyone seems to be having neuter the experience anyway?
I'd maybe wait for the patch. PS3 is not perfect either at the moment. That being said there's plenty of messages/etc so if that's your thing, feel free to trade and I assure you there'll be a lot of those.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Pomale posted:

:words:

Let's be fair here, the majority of people who played Demon's Souls and have waited to play this game since it was announced were owners of PS3s.

This would probably explain your multiplayer desert.

I see a lot of summon signs lying around and get invaded enough to not feel lonely, but the game is currently wonky multiplayer-wise and FromSoft stated they would implement a patch to fix this problem 'soon'.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4

Count Bleck posted:

Would you like a hint for Four Kings?

Slap on your heaviest armor, twohand your best weapon, hug a King and kill him, heal when necessary, proceed three more times. Their swing attacks do absolutely no damage when you're right next to them.

I'm working this tactic but I might need to go heavier. Cheers. That magic AoE is hosed, though.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Mr. Wookums posted:

Just beat him :smith: took me like two hours. The bandit knife is what did it for me, gently caress bleed is strong. If I were to upgrade that thing up to lightning or whatever, will the bleed effect still be strong?

The bleed effect should stay the same. You might miss out on the stat scaling once the patch comes through, though. I'm sitting on a +10 Bandit Knife and waiting to see.

That thing is my favorite. Biggest critical bonus of anything in the game.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Gazmachine posted:

I'm working this tactic but I might need to go heavier. Cheers. That magic AoE is hosed, though.

Havel's is good enough, as that's what got me through.

Basically just keep your health above half so the magic AoE doesn't kill you outright.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Where's the best spot for a Level 88 character to get invited into another player's world?

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Okay, I changed my mind. Anor Londo is dumb. There's the stairs I came from, a path that ends in an orange door, a bonfire with a keeper that tells me to go straight forward to get a "revelation" and a revelation that is apparently a dead end with a gargoyle. What?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Are they going to make a patch for the framerate? Is it even possible to solve it now?

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

Drox posted:

Okay, I changed my mind. Anor Londo is dumb. There's the stairs I came from, a path that ends in an orange door, a bonfire with a keeper that tells me to go straight forward to get a "revelation" and a revelation that is apparently a dead end with a gargoyle. What?

Go to where the gargoyle was and look to the left.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Ulio posted:

Are they going to make a patch for the framerate? Is it even possible to solve it now?
No and not really.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Deathpit. Spoiler it if you have to, I spent an hour and a half looking around this tiny area, I am really seriously stuck.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Drox posted:

Deathpit. Spoiler it if you have to, I spent an hour and a half looking around this tiny area, I am really seriously stuck.

There are support beams that lead to another section of the castle. You'll have to drop from a nearby ledge and then carefully walk onto one of them and head through a window.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Rascyc posted:

No and not really.

What a shame I am only at the undead parish but people say that some areas are considerably worse in framerate drops...

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Count Bleck posted:

Havel's is good enough, as that's what got me through.

Basically just keep your health above half so the magic AoE doesn't kill you outright.

Just did it with Havel's, cheers for the tip! It's kind of a sucky fight, really.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

GANDHITRON posted:

There are support beams that lead to another section of the castle. You'll have to drop from a nearby ledge and then carefully walk onto one of them and head through a window.

:supaburn:

Thanks.

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

^^^ He was faster.

Drox posted:

Yeah it's a dumb path. Basically, right after you get at the bottom of the stair, go left and drop down on the ledge below on the left. From here, you can walk on the first of the narrow walkways and reach the "church", where you can enter from a broken window.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

Ulio posted:

What a shame I am only at the undead parish but people say that some areas are considerably worse in framerate drops...

The depths is pretty bad framerate wise

I only notice it in dark areas (which is much of the game really), I guess its an issue with the lighting engine.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Ulio posted:

Blighttown and New Londo Ruins come to mind...

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

waspinator posted:

I wish I knew how to get to the whip at level 1 so I could do my castlevania run. :[

It's impossible to wield a whip at SL1 with DEX being 9 default and the Whip requiring 12 anyway. Wanderers and Hunters start with 14 DEX but arent truely SL1.

But yes I agree, it sucks that such an interesting weapon is hidden smack bang in the middle of Blighttown.

Your Moms Ahegao fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Oct 19, 2011

drink slurm
Feb 18, 2010

Anime and Weed, what else do you need?

Drox posted:

You have not even scratched the surface, wait until you get to the ledge with the black knight snipers, that is the frustrating essence of Anor Londo distilled into one brief section.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

drink slurm posted:

You have not even scratched the surface, wait until you get to the ledge with the black knight snipers, that is the frustrating essence of Anor Londo distiller into one brief section.

I take frustrating enemies more than I can take running around in circles and not seeing any way to progress. :( At least if something keeps killing me, I know that I should try to kill it back and go wherever was behind it.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
Blighttown gets the worst FPS drops in areas with lots of torches. Clearly the solution is to remove all the torches and add a lantern at the entrance that you have to carry around to explore the place. :haw:

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
So I parked my main character around SL 74 at the very end of the game, and all that is left for me to 'do' is any more weapon crafting / component collection, Gwyndolin if I want to, and Gwyn. Knight, pure melee all game long until finally making / using the crystal ring shield once I hit Lost Izalith / Demon Ruins in order to wing damage at the various demons to save time. My main hold-up is not any sort of worry over being able to beat Gwyn--but rather that I'd like to knock out as many of the achievements as I can before pushing past to new game +. Ideally, this would blow out all the weapon forging achievements--though getting the slabs is an unholy nightmare if you want more than one of most of them in a single play-through.

I managed to get all the Pyromancy spells despite never having used Pyromancy beyond checking out the spell effects, but I cannot get the miracles or rare weapons sets due to boss soul limitations--and I apparently never got enough INT for anyone to even offer selling me sorceries, so I figure I will have a second character run through for magic things. No idea how long it might actually take if I try to get things to actually drop the slabs necessary for finishing upgrade paths--I've got magic, chaos, divine, crystal and occult left in that department and have already used the blue and red slabs that you can find naturally.

At this point I am just trying to sort out how I want to approach the rest of it and I am also curious what to do for said sorcery romp; I never touched magic in Demon Souls and I've barely touched it in this, so I have no idea how to handle the playstyle differently after spending the entirety of my time trudging around in heavy armor behind a tower shield in both games. Any advice?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

FirstPersonShitter posted:

My problem with Dark Souls is the same problem I had with Demon's Souls: the gameplay itself is actually rewarding. You don't need the promise of achievements or perk unlocks or shiny new items to keep you playing, it's actually just fun fighting stuff and winning. It kind of makes other games you play within the same time period just seem boring and lovely. I'm looking at you, RAGE.

This is why I learned how to one-life Super Castlevania 4. The gameplay itself was rewarding. I am really loving the fact that your personal ability matters so much in Demon's Souls, and it's because of that that I don't really mind it being a metroidvania type of game structurally. Usually I hate those because they really are just level up->proceed to be invincible->complete to 200%, but with this one you can always new game+ or start up a new guy and it's a new challenge.

I don't mind that I can start up a new guy and in 2 hours get to where it took me 10 hours to get to before, because I still end up dying sometimes, and the more I play, the more valuable those deaths become. It used to be I ran around hollow constantly, with no Humanity to lose. Now if I start up, it'll be a couple hours before I die twice, and that cuts deep when you have been running human for so long. It's really that same feeling I got back in the day trying a one-life run of something, and dying on the second to last stage.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

As a bit of light relief, I'm wandering around the Undead Burg now with full Havel's, dual wielding scythes. It's pretty loving rad and the "well, what is it?" action looks badass with two scythes :black101:

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Irsh posted:

A friend and I attempted that same trick the other night, hoping we would be able to co-op together for a bit. We tried for almost an hour before giving up and moving on to Castlevania: Harmony of Despair to play together. I know others seem to achieve co-op with friends easily, but I have yet to get it to work.

Though I hate that matchmaking sucks and a lot of the pvp options don't work as often as I'd like, I'm glad you can't directly summon your friends. It's way too easy to turn pvp into a death-trap when you're invading alone and walking into an organized 2v1. I've had that happen to me once where I repeatedly ran into a pair that knew each other, and it was not fun to have a person cast tranquil walk of peace and throw crystal ring shields while the other poked me with a lightning spear from behind in full armor. You can even "spawn camp" and essentially start a fight immediately while surrounded.

I really don't mind if people summon random guys to help, and don't even mind if effective teamwork occurs by improvisation. It's just painful when two guys who know each other and know how to make their builds synergistic go team up and wreck shop.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Looked up gow to get the Drake Sword last night. Ran to the red dragon and started shooting his tail. After around the 12th arrow, the animation and sound for killing something & getting souls came up only no sword. Kept trying. Nothing. Went back after I died elsewhere and tried again. Nothing. :smith:

Considering I haven't gotten very far at all and have started to get a hang of things, I think I'll reroll tonight.

ColdCock
Jun 3, 2001

God's Hand
Am I going to find more transient curse items somewhere once I start banging away at New Londo Ruins? The last thing I did last night was go and buy some from the undead lady merchant, only to find that she only carries four of them.

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011
Is there a way to get the Drake Sword if the dragon flies away? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

ColdCock posted:

Am I going to find more transient curse items somewhere once I start banging away at New Londo Ruins? The last thing I did last night was go and buy some from the undead lady merchant, only to find that she only carries four of them.

Ghosts drop them frequently, and they drop them two at a time.

• Locked thread