Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
Are there any recommended settings for the fanatec csr? The stock ones make steering feel extremely heavy and very twitchy...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy scum
Jul 7, 2003

Is there a way to make the AI go from "loving you in the rear end with no lube" to "challenging but not throat slittingly frustrating" ?

Also, anyone good with liveries?
I'm trying to make stuff look worn and ragged for my Dodge Dart Bluesmobile

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Trap Star
Jul 21, 2010

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Looking for a car club to join. GT is Ricco Suave.

Send a request to GISH. I'm confused about why so many people post here asking for invites when you have to send a request yourself, or at least I did.

In any case, I'll be down for hosting some more GISH racing tonight. The uphill/downhill races were great. Sorry about the SSC race guys :smith:

e: GISH is currently at 81 members too, so y'all better hurry up in applying.

Trap Star fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Oct 19, 2011

pvax
Aug 6, 2001

Hey guys that did the pre-order incentive program ...Check your in-game messages. Turn10 have been sending out the follow up free cars and I just got mine last night.

I received a Joss JT1, Spirit-R, and 458 Italia. They've got a Forza4 Livery, but are otherwise all stock with no tunes.

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Pees With Boner fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Oct 20, 2011

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
The servers wouldn't let me into any club games last night so I ended up making this?

I don't think she'll ever be able to turn a corner like the pros so I'm making her a drag superstar :c00l:

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

ChocNitty posted:

Is there a magic button I can press to improve my screenshots like that?

Mostly the Auto Levels, Auto Contrast, Auto Colour, Noise Reduction, and Smart Sharpen buttons.

So yes. :)

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I sent a request to GISH, GT: DeltaVictor12

Also, can anyone tell me what files I should see from the dashboard? I've got two corrupted ones, one of which I'm pretty sure is my tuning file. I got a corrupt file message every time I tried to save a tuning setup in game.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

ChocNitty posted:

On my quest to build the quickest F class track car, I tried the old Toyota:

It's so sexy looking, but unfortunately, it's dog slow.
That car is pretty great looking.

What is the fastest F Class car you can make? I've messed around a little bit with a Ford Ka and the Kia cee apostrophe d and something else I can't remember, but it seems that once you tune them to 200 their performance is pretty close.

Running around Top Gear Test Track and Bernese Alps, the 200's I've tuned have all been within about one second of each other. I'd be interested if there is a more obscure choice that can be made a couple seconds quicker.

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Running around Top Gear Test Track and Bernese Alps, the 200's I've tuned have all been within about one second of each other. I'd be interested if there is a more obscure choice that can be made a couple seconds quicker.

The system works! It's a good thing that they're close. It makes for more variety on the racetrack and the leaderboards.

alr
May 14, 2009
Random thought: Infineon is my new favourite test track. Elevation changes, sweepers, chicanes, and if I muck around tuning in test drive at sunrise it's like I'm at practice, getting ready for the race later on :3:

Tuckleberry
Aug 30, 2009

Trap Star posted:

Send a request to GISH. I'm confused about why so many people post here asking for invites when you have to send a request yourself, or at least I did.

In any case, I'll be down for hosting some more GISH racing tonight. The uphill/downhill races were great. Sorry about the SSC race guys :smith:

e: GISH is currently at 81 members too, so y'all better hurry up in applying.
Some of the groups are invite only (or at least saeg is)

KillerKatten
Oct 26, 2010
Is the Euro group full? Tried to send request ingame, but it said something or other I don't remember atm. If its still some spots, I'd love an invite, GT is same as username here.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

My preferred F class car is actually the Delorean. Using someone elses tune. I'm sure there's much faster F cars out there, I just need to buy and test them.

hreple
Feb 11, 2006
hardly
Woop - got to do a drat fun race today in SAEG.

I jumped into a stock Gumpert Apollo, with a PI of 760 or so vs 790 on you other guys. drat if that Apollo isn't understeering like a pig :/ Got beat SO hard. It was also so stock I was just sad to see it get raped. Didn't think it'd get owned THAT hard, tho. Was amazing to see it being left for dead both on the straights as in the bendy stuff.

Fun anyways tho. I desperatly lack a mic, so I couldn't really communicate the fact that my girlfriend was twisting my nipples and really ... err ... encourage my lines that race. Oh well :)

Great fun so far. Just have to get used to running fast cars, havent done anything else in Forza than up to D-class.

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

KillerKatten posted:

Is the Euro group full? Tried to send request ingame, but it said something or other I don't remember atm. If its still some spots, I'd love an invite, GT is same as username here.

My friends list is full of people asking for invites. Just post your GT in the thread or send me a message on XBL and you'll get an invite. I think there's only 30-40 of us in SAEG so far.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
2 more SAEG Races (Edit: And other guys like me):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijLamU3-gTM
Has a good close finsh

and one on Positano in some F Class
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2tB59J0Tso

Sorry I didn't hit up your invite earlier Jarf, was working on a paint job then was headed out for lunch.

Athanatos fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 19, 2011

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
Just got this junk. Can I get an invite to whatever is the not-full goon group? GT:Skyssx

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Hell yes, tell him we're plenty front right now.

Asmodai_00 posted:

Nope, sorry, you're wrong. LLJK is the best.

I also have video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TremeQIuoTM
The Goon-buses are absolutely fantastic.

This may be the first game I've had that consistently produces photos so good they're mistaken for actual pictures. Still shots, really, but still impressive, and that's on a console. And the Rival matches were a brilliant idea, I've sunk literally hours into trying to beat friends' times.

Is there a generally accepted approach to tweaking the advanced settings for a controller? I know Shift 2 pretty much required upping the steering deadzone a few ticks for almost everyone, among other things. I've tried "Simulation", but the default settings make it fairly uncontrollable if you aren't using a wheel, and I don't want to go dig that out for every single race. Fortunately, "Normal" does an excellent job of putting the steering wheel where you ask it to be, and doesn't feel like it's doing anything beyond preventing every single turn becoming a tank-slapper, which is actually pretty nice.

I'm also sad to see that "manual with clutch" is still "mash thumb on AX or AY to shift."

GT: Ryevolvyerom (extra 'y', long story)

I'm still trying to get used to the idea of not maxing out a car, and allowing it to perform well in a lower class better suited to it. Someone from the LLJK car club had a Lotus Elan (race was D class?) that was absolutely crushing on Maple Valley, even against a few muscle cars and a mid-engined european performance vehicle (okay, my Renault :v: )

Revolvyerom fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 19, 2011

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

*Jumping Peppers!* *Enjoy the Sauce!*

jadebullet posted:

This was a lot of fun, until Fatkins had to go and ruin it by completing the race rather than quitting out.

You're right, I should have quit. I hosed up there, and I apologize.

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day

Athanatos posted:

2 more SAEG Races (Edit: And other guys like me):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijLamU3-gTM
Has a good close finsh

and one on Positano in some F Class
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2tB59J0Tso

Sorry I didn't hit up your invite earlier Jarf, was working on a paint job then was headed out for lunch.

Forza's online (which I'm sorry I can't contribute to but university) is getting drat near perfect. The sound of the different cars is incredible. Half the field will all have the same general ho-hum sound, then along comes an old NA muscle car or a new turbo box and :allears:

Work a bit on the tire squeal, get some more variety in the collision noises, bring some matte paint and dirt to the game... who said the future of videogames looks bleak?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Jarf posted:

My friends list is full of people asking for invites. Just post your GT in the thread or send me a message on XBL and you'll get an invite. I think there's only 30-40 of us in SAEG so far.

AkGara requesting an invite for SAEG please. :)

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

How do you guys recommend upgrading cars?

For me, I usually fret about cornering, but my friends nuke my cars on straightaways because my cars have lovely top speed.

I also tend to buy the class car I want to upgrade to. So, for instance I'll have a C class car I want to upgrade to top end of C class. Should I be trying to upgrade a D class car to the top of C instead?

Trap Star
Jul 21, 2010

^^ yeah, pretty much. Take a car from a lower class and put on the best tires you can without raising the class higher than you want, then upgrade the brakes before starting on power.

Skyssx posted:

Just got this junk. Can I get an invite to whatever is the not-full goon group? GT:Skyssx

Send a request to GISH

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My upgrade path is always transmission, brakes, tires, power, then if there's room, weight.

If after 10 minutes of tuning the car still has problems, I'll shuffle upgrades around to make room for aero.

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Ak Gara posted:

AkGara requesting an invite for SAEG please. :)

Done.

Sorry about that guys, I've recently changed ISP to O2 and have a new router to play with. I'm guessing I need to open a few ports before I can host again. I'll send you all an invite when I've figured it out.

My new connection sucks at hosting until I can figure it out. Who has the best connection in SAEG?

Jarf fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 19, 2011

Fruitbat
Sep 30, 2004
I usualy go tyres, brakes, suspension, aero, clutch, prop-shaft, flywheel and then any power i can add after that. seems to work ok, its my driving folding the car back after that i think.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008
Just upgraded to Gold, please send an SAEG invite to AndroidXP :)

CrandleBerries
Oct 21, 2005
ITT Tech graduated ninja
How do you get back into the GISH Lobby rooms without being invited? I can only invite people to my own lobby etc. Do I need you need to friend other members first?

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
I usually do race-level roll cage, sway bars, brakes, suspension, and transmission (older cars in particular need the race tranny, because those four speed gearboxes really limit what you can do), then the stickiest tires I can swing, then rims/aero/wider tires (more for looks than anything). AWD cars get the race differential, so I can shift how much power goes to which axle. My goal is usually to unlock as many tuning options as possible, then run the thing out until I like the handling.

I don't usually add power, other than to eat up the last couple PI points, unless I'm trying to jump classes or something - A600 VW Jettas and the like - and a lot of times I'll adjust the final drive ratio to something absurd like 4.50, to improve acceleration. The chassis upgrades massively improve handling while barely increasing, and sometimes actually slightly dropping, PI. Like, race brakes are a huge upgrade, and they cost like 2-5 PI, so I buy them every time.

Also I tend to paint cars and add decals after I upgrade them but before tuning and test driving, which is way dumb, but I love that fuckin' vinyl editor.

EDIT: I've never actually bought vinyls off the storefront either, I have to sperg out and make my own for some reason, which makes my cars take forever and look like poo poo.

ANAmal.net fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 19, 2011

Trap Star
Jul 21, 2010

CrandleBerries posted:

How do you get back into the GISH Lobby rooms without being invited? I can only invite people to my own lobby etc. Do I need you need to friend other members first?

Yeah you basically have to have somebody in the club as a friend so you can ask them to reinvite. What's your GT? There's some racing going on right now

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Great few races guys. Always managed to wreck, never got 1st, but was pretty fun times.

Somewhere out there is a replay video of a giant pink 1971 Skyline with "Dicks!" in cursive up the side, going onto its roof twice. Awesome car by the way, I forget the name of the gentleman who shared it with LLJK, but it is a legitimately quick car (I didn't have a B-tuned car, and when I saw that paint job in the club garage, the choice became cast in stone)

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Doctor Butts posted:

How do you guys recommend upgrading cars?

For me, I usually fret about cornering, but my friends nuke my cars on straightaways because my cars have lovely top speed.

I also tend to buy the class car I want to upgrade to. So, for instance I'll have a C class car I want to upgrade to top end of C class. Should I be trying to upgrade a D class car to the top of C instead?

Mostly try and avoid upping cars more than a class or two, you'll get better results if you start off with a chassis/platform that's capable of handling the upgrades. Keep in mind that modern cars are almost always going to be better (since they start from a better place) than the classics. A 2011 V6 Camry will beat a 1986 Countach in a quarter mile, which is sad but true. Classics are still much more stylish and fun to drive.

Secondly I almost never upgrade tires on anything lower than top-of-B class, the PI can be better used on power/weight upgrades for the lower cars. Fat tires also just add weight, and if you're only putting down 165 hp, you hardly need 345's in the back. Slow cars are all about maintaining momentum, so try and set up your transmission so you shift less often than you would in a faster car.

I usually set up my slow cars so that 2nd and 3rd are essentially the same gearing but with longer reach in 3rd so I can trailbrake while keeping on the power, leaving it in 3rd with the revs high and power through the majority of corners from 40mph-100mph with no shift on the way out. All that up and down shifting loses time and kills your momentum.

Thirdly when you do add power upgrades, pick the ones that also add lightness.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

CrandleBerries posted:

If you PM someone that is in the lobby to send out a club invite, that would work too.

LunaticAngel
Feb 5, 2006
That random guy in the corner. You know, the one that one that everyone avoids?
Apologies to the SAEG guys for my poo poo-tastic connection this evening. Gonna have to look into that when I have more time, although everything is telling me its fine. Annoying.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

Brakes, swaybars, LSD and BBSs are all I need.

KillerKatten
Oct 26, 2010
God damned loving rear end in a top hat router manufacturers, why do you have to make it so hard?!

Apparently I have connection issues trying to join SAEG lobbies, public lobbies and every other online game works though... Been loving around for an hour trying to fix it, ended up making everything worse and had to hard reset everything since suddenly I couldn't even connect to my router.

So I'm pretty sure it's not my NAT settings since nothing show up when I test xbox live connection and I have UPnP enabled..., anyone have any tips?

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

A general rule of thumb with upgrading cars is that you want to hit at least one class above where the car is at (improving it measurably above stock), but more than two really depends on the car and the setup you're trying to run. Not many cars are competitive when packed so full of parts that they're up to "S" class from "D" class, the general handling of the car (as a very general rule) will suffer compared to cars that started out in a higher grade, and had less ground to cover to reach the same class.

No matter how much you may love that 1980's shitbox Starion, a Ferrari is going to be easier to make race-ready for S or R3 class, say.

edit: no tips for making "Simulation" tolerable on a controller? I hate the (probably entirely psychosomatic) thought in the back of my head that I COULD have more direct control, but will never be able to use it as the car lurches wildly if you tilt the stick a hair too fast.

Revolvyerom fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 19, 2011

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

Revolvyerom posted:

edit: no tips for making "Simulation" tolerable on a controller? I hate the (probably entirely psychosomatic) thought in the back of my head that I COULD have more direct control, but will never be able to use it as the car lurches wildly if you tilt the stick a hair too fast.

The more you use it the better you get. Start with slower cars and work your way up. Smooth inputs is always the most important thing you can do/learn.

KillerKatten posted:

God damned loving rear end in a top hat router manufacturers, why do you have to make it so hard?!

So I'm pretty sure it's not my NAT settings since nothing show up when I test xbox live connection and I have UPnP enabled..., anyone have any tips?

I was having troubles with my router(s) as well. This is what I finally got to work, with a cisco router (don't know model #)

UPnP: Off.
Port forward: 53, 88, 3074 on both UDP/TCP.

Enter in manual IP on xbox.(check your IP range on your router for this so you get the right one). go to your DMZ on your router put that IP address for your xbox into the dmz and enable dmz. also enter in DNS manually into your xbox, 255.255.255.0, 192.168.1.1 or whatever. so the xbox ip would be something like 192.168.1.132 - or whatever you assign it or is already assigned.

MTU setting may or may not make a difference. 1365 is what i found, think I'm using 1492. *shrug*

Mine works like a charm. Only worry now is my lovely far away Eskimo internet speeds (or lack of).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

I just got a 32" LCD after playing games for at least 10 years an an old 27" standard def TV. It's just like the first time again.

• Locked thread