Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
Well LLJK just got purged so we got room for 15 more members!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day

Doctor Butts posted:

How do you guys recommend upgrading cars?

For me, I usually fret about cornering, but my friends nuke my cars on straightaways because my cars have lovely top speed.

I also tend to buy the class car I want to upgrade to. So, for instance I'll have a C class car I want to upgrade to top end of C class. Should I be trying to upgrade a D class car to the top of C instead?

Long post trying to help some newbies incoming.

What are you most skilled at, or what annoys you most? Figure out what's most important to you, in general, and build around that. You could hop into a "best"-tuned car and have an awful time if you personally can't drive it. Alternatively, THERE IS NO "BEST" METHOD FOR TUNING CARS, or at least not one that fits on one page and is accessible to a newbie. Your driving skill is more important than anything else. When all else fails- drive more.

I used to suck at controlling power in cars. I had to leave most of the assists on, because I was putting performance cars like Ferraris in donuts no matter how hard I tried to be gentle. I could not drive a 911 at speed to save my life. So I either built 4WD cars that put everything in suspension, or ran low-power front-wheel drive. I could nail the gas to absolute max, and the car would handle every bit of it. I could also run the game with all the driving aids off, now that my cars were matched to my style. Boring 4WD boxes suddenly became a pleasure, because I never had to worry about the bits I was awful at. I could just focus all day long on improving my brake points and nailing apexes. I actually got pretty good at tuning for a while, because I knew exactly what I was looking for in a car. Start with low power, give it perfect stability, then win races by driving a perfect line every corner.

Basic parts application- If you have no idea what to do with a car, test drive it for a bit (Upgrade > Test Drive, or race it) and see what your biggest complaint is. If it's a small complaint like it has a little more power than the wheels can handle, give it some better wheels. If it's a BIG problem like the car absolutely won't turn, either pick a new car, or understand that's probably just a feature of the vehicle that will never completely go away. Give it more power, maybe shore up the suspension, and build enough of a lead on the straights so you can flub the turns.

Basic tuning- Tire pressure, aero, and camber. Tires- If you don't have any other clue and need some handling help, lower the PSI of the drive wheels one pound. If you still have handling issues, try losing one pound on non-drive and two on drive. If that doesn't fix it, look to parts not tuning. Aero- Remember aero ONLY works above highway speeds (more-or-less), so if your car won't turn at 35mph aero probably won't help. Depending on if the front or rear end doesn't seem to stick in fast corners, up the aero a touch if you've got it, use the least aero that makes a difference. Camber- pull up the tire temp gauge toward the end of a race (D-pad up, right about 4 times). If the tires are very uneven, such as yellowing on the outside edge but white or light green on the inside, give it a couple clicks of negative camber and check it again next race. Dial it in until your tires are roughly even most races.

Leveling cars- The biggest factor in upping a car is what the suspension can handle. One class is an ideal way to shore up the weak spots in a car, two will usually be great. Three or more, you can always try anything but you probably need something designed to handle that extra power (Impreza, Skyline, rally-proven Fiat or Lancia).

SanitysEdge
Jul 28, 2005

General Probe posted:

Sent an request from AlgebraFrenzy

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

God drat, what's with all the router trouble? All of you having issues and I am stuck behind a strict NAT? Did we anger some automotive gods or something.

KillerKatten
Oct 26, 2010

Minimaul posted:

I was having troubles with my router(s) as well. This is what I finally got to work....

Ok, I think I got it to work now, thanks a bunch.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sprat Sandwich posted:

God drat, what's with all the router trouble? All of you having issues and I am stuck behind a strict NAT? Did we anger some automotive gods or something.

All the Forza games have done this. Sometimes two people can't communicate with each other the way Forza wants to, and one of them gets booted out of the lobby. It happens regardless of NAT settings.

Sometimes switching to a new host will allow everyone to join.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

Sprat Sandwich posted:

If you're having strict NAT issues try the settings I posted. That's how I got mine to work. It also did this in Forza3 for me.

alr
May 14, 2009

General Probe posted:

Sent a request from Vizkk.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Invite request sent to LLJK as InvadeFranceNow!

Samswing
Jan 8, 2009

:dukedog:
Request sent to LLJK from UNDERGROUNDSPAZ

pvax
Aug 6, 2001

Sprat Sandwich posted:

FM4 was cursed from the beginning! My DSL Modem went south the NIGHT before Forza came out. I've been switching ISPs now and have waiting for a drat install tech to finally get out here ever since. Currently using my neighnbor's wireless - which seems to be some crap rear end satellite poo poo or something since it tops out at 80K/s down and has the latency of a drunk pig causing multiplayer to basically be unplayable.

But ... rivals times will still post MUAHAHAhahahaha. Now to just get out the habit of credit farming those events.

I think I'm going to start making a run through E and A class leaderboards for shits and giggles. What are the goon sanctioned favorite classes right now that don't involve crashing and hummers?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Request sent to LLJK from TheScott2K

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I haven't been able to get my xbox online yet, but how easy is it to earn money in Rivals mode compared to World Tour?

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
Rivals is better for XP and cR.

alr
May 14, 2009
You'll rake in the cash if you cheese it a bit. Pick an event - probably a hotlap or track day - then set a time until you're chasing 50k bounties. 2 minute lap, and just ease up on the throttle when you're close to finishing so you only beat them by ~half a second or so. Load up the next guy as a bounty, etc.

I made around 1.5 mil in an hour on the Nurburgring GP course track day event by chasing 100/150k bounties, the cash just flows. You also get credits/exp for the time you were out on the track, so if it took you 4 laps to beat a time, you get 4 laps worth of rewards on top of the bounty.

pvax
Aug 6, 2001

Rivals mode pays out in increments based on how high you are on the leaderboards. Starts a 100 cr, 500, 1000, 5000, etc ... up to 150k per rival beaten. I find for most events - it's not very difficult to get into the tier that pays 50k (100k and 150k are usually top 1 percent-ish)

Basically - just scan the leaderboards for the lowest time that's about 1 sec or more slower than your consistent pace. Try to beat it as close to the rivals time as possible, slowing down before finish if necessary. pick the nearest time from then on out and try to keep at it until you hit your plateau.

edit: beaten like a Rival's Bounty

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Nice, thanks guys.

So, can you re-challenge players you've already beaten? If the stars somehow align and you get your fastest possible time on a track the first time you do it, are you screwed out of ever getting more rewards from that event?

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

GreatGreen posted:

Nice, thanks guys.

So, can you re-challenge players you've already beaten? If the stars somehow align and you get your fastest possible time on a track the first time you do it, are you screwed out of ever getting more rewards from that event?

Only if you're the absolute #1 on the leaderboard.

You can challenge whoever you want. But you don't always get money. You can challenge yourself if you want to beat your own previous time (100cr). Also, as was explained, don't get your fastest time the first time.

If the top #1 time is 1:10 seconds. You have friends at 1:12, 1:15, 1:16, 1:17.1, 1:18.3, 1:20, 1:22 and a bunch of dirty laps. You go in your first time and pick the slowest one, or whatever person you think you can beat. Then race and if you find yourself running around a 1:16s, finish with about a 1:20 - or just fast enough to beat the rival you blindly picked (slow down at the end, or whatever). Finish the race, pick a new rival that runs at a bit faster than the one you just beat with a decent payout. or skip ahead for the 50k or 100k if you don't want to nickle and dime your way up the leaderboard. Beat the 1:18, get 50k. repick the 1:17 beat him then get anothe 50k. etc. etc.

Minimaul fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Oct 20, 2011

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Once you've gotten your best time, you can't race anyone slower and make any money. And you aren't so much challenging anyone, as doing hotlaps while following (or being followed by) someone's ghost.

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
Posted the car a few pages back but it's imperative you know that I've now christened my ship:

Managed to get juuuuust over 11 and a half seconds on a half mile strip. She's sitting at 599 horsepower so I need to figure out how to squeeze in one extra HP...

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Sadly this is the most complex vinyl I'm capable of making :saddowns: At least I got the color matching right.

Unfortunately I don't have the skills to turn my R3 800 Lambo into the neon Lisa Frank nightmare it deserves to be.

ZombieLicker
Jan 3, 2008

by T. Finn
I got purged :( request sent gt Zombi3lick3er dont let me down goons

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Please post more high res pictures of your cars. I can't afford an Xbox despite spending more precious hours of life on Forza 1 and 2 than is acceptable to admit, so seeing what you guys are creating soothes the pain.

When Forza 2 came out I made a bikini babe for the hood of my Mustang and sold it to someone, within a week she was topless on just about every other car online.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

ZombieLicker posted:

I got purged :( request sent gt Zombi3lick3er dont let me down goons
If you got purged it's because your name wasn't in the spreadsheet.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
If you buy a car in the shop and then go to quicktune, does it apply the same upgrades as if you choose the car as a prize car?

hojusimpson
Mar 30, 2011

AwwJeah posted:

Posted the car a few pages back but it's imperative you know that I've now christened my ship:

Managed to get juuuuust over 11 and a half seconds on a half mile strip. She's sitting at 599 horsepower so I need to figure out how to squeeze in one extra HP...

This is glorious. Have you uploaded the livery yet? I actually stumbled onto one of your designs in the past but, away from my console, can't quite recall. Anyhow, that's a roundabout way of complimenting your work.

I need to get involved in this club thing. By this weekend, I should have some more time to see if my mic still works and play regularly. If a club is looking for someone to help strip the paint of their pretty pretty cars, I'm your man.

Trap Star
Jul 21, 2010

send an LLJK invite for WALTSPOORAZTEC please, can't seem to send a request.

e: nm, request sent

crabfriend
Oct 12, 2010

NO
Had a few fun races with a few of the LLJK and GISH guys, even if I did lose most of them.

I love this

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

crabfriend posted:

Had a few fun races with a few of the LLJK and GISH guys, even if I did lose most of them.

I love this

I'm the e30!!! :haw:

lotharr
Dec 24, 2003

Sorry Mark, we have no idea what's wrong with your KERS mate...

Which goon car group is ideal for a guy looking for races around 10-11pm GMT+11 time :) There are some nights I'd be up for some racing and my usual batch of friends are not online, at which point I'd definitely be looking for some goon warfare.

I play with zero assists and proper racing etiquette if that helps ;)

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

lotharr posted:

Which goon car group is ideal for a guy looking for races around 10-11pm GMT+11 time :) There are some nights I'd be up for some racing and my usual batch of friends are not online, at which point I'd definitely be looking for some goon warfare.

I play with zero assists and proper racing etiquette if that helps ;)

I'd say that anyone would be fine but IIRC GTCC is a little more serious business.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I've never really been a car guy, but I've been having so much fun playing this nonstop since picking it up this weekend. I was lucky enough to snag a barely used MS wireless wheel on Kijiji for fifty bucks yesterday; only downside is I can't really play using manual + clutch any more, but I can deal with that for what it adds to the experience.

What kind of skill level is to be expected with the LLJK/GISH clubs? I'd like to start racing against actual people, but I don't want to inadvertantly gently caress things up for people who know what they're doing. At the same time, it doesn't sound like pubbie games aren't going to be all that great for improving/having fun.

If it's not a problem, I've sent a request to LLJK from Azimech.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Coxswain Balls posted:

I've never really been a car guy, but I've been having so much fun playing this nonstop since picking it up this weekend. I was lucky enough to snag a barely used MS wireless wheel on Kijiji for fifty bucks yesterday; only downside is I can't really play using manual + clutch any more, but I can deal with that for what it adds to the experience.

What kind of skill level is to be expected with the LLJK/GISH clubs? I'd like to start racing against actual people, but I don't want to inadvertantly gently caress things up for people who know what they're doing. At the same time, it doesn't sound like pubbie games aren't going to be all that great for improving/having fun.

If it's not a problem, I've sent a request to LLJK from Azimech.

Don't worry about your skill level. Some of us are good, a lot of us are terrible. Just don't block people and you'll be fine.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Request sent to LLJK from Z3n85 :)

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Partial Octopus posted:

Don't worry about your skill level. Some of us are good, a lot of us are terrible. Just don't block people and you'll be fine.

Cool! Looking forward to finally playing against some actual people.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

GreatGreen posted:

Here's what I'll say about this.

Thank you so very, very much.

I have invested at the moment 3 PS3's, 3x27inch LCD and a cockpit and everything set up for it but ever since launch I have struggled to find the "fun" in this game and have been trying to get my moneys worth from the setup and thought perhaps it was just me as everytime I mentioned to another GT5 player my issues I would get shot down for it.

I have been trying for the last week to get an understand from someone who played both to see if it was worth investing in an xbox or 3 and trying out Forza 4 and this post has helped to no end.

I mean christ Kaz, no TT leaderboards, the career sucks and MP is painful what else am I supposed to do.

Thanks!

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
request sent as Chandlsd.

You better take me, I am emotionally scarred from your terrible driving earlier.

blodycoughbynewport
Oct 26, 2008

Sponsored by Big tobacco!
Dear O. Williams,
If you hit me one more loving time, I'm catching you in the pit lane and kicking your rear end
Love, the yellow GTO you swerved across the entire track to slam into

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON
Request sent as FraserCDN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quackman
Jan 25, 2004
Chapstick
I figure LLJK's accounted for as full again already, as I last checked it at 97 members, so I sent a request to GISH, the underdog!

• Locked thread